Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Serving with Hurricane 3 and TG3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fiveplyian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiveplyian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serving with Hurricane 3 and TG3
    Posted: 06/07/2018 at 2:59pm
Hi,

Is there a knack to serving with Hurricane or Skyline 3 ? I can serve a variety of strong serves with Esn 47 degree rubbers but I am struggling with a recent experimental change to DHS rubbers.

Most practise has been with Skyline 3 to date. The harder top sheet is making FH counter loops really brutal with a forward stroke but I haven’t nailed service contact yet. Should I just use the tack rather than getting into the top sheet ? It also feels like I need to use a stronger body / right shoulder turn into service contact ?

Please give me some clues to shortcut this process.

Thanks
Ian
Sponsored Links

Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2018 at 4:27pm
You don’t engage the sponge but should use the tacky surface. Just brush it very quickly.
bars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2018 at 4:32pm
dont absorb the contact.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiveplyian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2018 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by bars bars wrote:

dont absorb the contact.

That's an interesting description. Can you clarify - I have been thinking I need a fast, clean , straight line contact using the tacky surface only. With esn rubbers I have a quick action but it still feels more like I have short hold / wrap of the ball in the topsheet before release.
Ian
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2018 at 5:49pm
Pure friction. Quick brushing contact.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2018 at 6:51pm
I actually find serving with H3N really easy compared to other non-tacky or softer sponge rubbers.

It's so much easier to keep the ball short and low. Whenever I use a normal rubber, I feel like the ball goes longer than I intend. Other rubbers feel less forgiving than H3N.

What particular issue are you having with the serve compared to your old rubber?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiveplyian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 2:51am
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

I actually find serving with H3N really easy compared to other non-tacky or softer sponge rubbers.

It's so much easier to keep the ball short and low. Whenever I use a normal rubber, I feel like the ball goes longer than I intend. Other rubbers feel less forgiving than H3N.

What particular issue are you having with the serve compared to your old rubber?

Reduced spin is the overall issue. I have pendulum variations, reverse serves, shovel serves etc. Backspin, sidespin and topspin variations plus corkscrew all work with good spin on my old rubbers and I can control length. With DHS I seem to need more hand speed and finer contact so right now I get more inconsistency of length and less spin on average. Many years of euro / Japanese rubber practise in my service contact so I’ll keep working on it - short backspin is starting to get better but it feels like serving with DHS will be harder to adjust to than the rest of my FH topspin technique. Haven’t nailed fast push either yet.

I love TG3 for over table or off table counter loops against topspin - close your bat, swing forward and you get a lowish trajectory that still clears the net reliably but just seems to kick and accelerate off the table when the opponent thinks they have it covered. H3 on a Freitas ALC, TG3 on an EK Carbon Yasaka.

Edited by fiveplyian - 06/08/2018 at 7:30am
Ian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic