Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Factors contributing to High Throw....is it spin?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Factors contributing to High Throw....is it spin?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MTMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Factors contributing to High Throw....is it spin?
    Posted: 06/20/2018 at 12:12am
Got to wondering what makes a rubber high (or low) throw. 

I've always thought that the primary correlation to high throw is spin.  

Am I right? Or are there other substantive factors to making a rubber high throw? 

And are there low or mid throw rubbers that produces a lot of spin?  Or high spin rubber that is low throw? 

Curious.  

Sponsored Links

Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2018 at 11:38am
high throw comes mainly from the topsheet.
harder, thicker topsheet with small dense pimples results in highest throw

new gen esn rubbers have lower throw (thin top) but high spin because of thicker sponge, generating more mechanical spin, which works better for poly ball.

also softer sponge will feel higher throw on low forces / close to the table

examples for low throw high spin are calibra or h2

MTMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2018 at 2:42am
Thanks Hozuki. It is helpful to hear that there are rubbers that have lower throw but high spin.  

In truth, I'm a bit confused that softer sponge feel higher throw.  With Butterfly Tenergy, the FX version is softer sponge but they also become lower throw.  

Currently, returning after 10 years away, my first rubber I am using is the Tenergy 05.  It's probably more rubber than I should be using - through I am able to generate high blade speed enough to take advatage of that rubber but I do not consistently do that.  And high throw rubber is making my smashes less accurate, I think. (I'm coming to terms that I may need a bit lower throw rubbers that are linear through the gears, lower throw, and higher control I'll probably ask that in a different thread.)

Love to hear more comments from the many enthusiasts on this forum. 
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2018 at 8:06am
You are welcome. Softer sponge has a lower gear, thus can make shorter arc with low force. On medium to high impact, arc flattens out because the softer sponge cannot handle the higher forces as well as a harder sponge.

What blade are you using? Tenergy's high throw usually pairs better with low throw carbon blades.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic