FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Best shoes for different conditions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best shoes for different conditions
    Posted: 07/19/2018 at 4:04pm
Larry Hodges suggested this would be a good topic and I agree, so decided to start one.  It is already touched on in the current thread on slippery floors.  But I am hoping this can be a useful resource for people to post here.  People who play a lot of tournaments may need a collection of shoes so they can select the best ones for the venue they are going to play, and it might be helpful for them to know what to buy.  So here are the questions:

1. What are the best shoes to use on hard slippery floors?  Is it necessary to sacrifice grip for cushioning?

2. What are the best shoes to use on red Gerfloor like floors?

3. Which shoes have the most toe flexibility?

4.  What are the best shoes for people at risk for foot and ankle injuries, tendonitis, or fasciitis?

I have used Tibhar Blue Thunder shoes for a number of years.  They are true TT shoes, so not a great deal of cushioning.  I would not recommend them on a concrete floor if you have any tendency for foot issues.  They are very grippy but I pretty much only ever play on Gerflor.  You need to learn to lift your feet  because they adhere strongly to that surface and it punishes lazy footwork.

Sponsored Links

Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2018 at 4:36pm
For the last week I have only played on original red Gerflor and my Mizuno wave drive 8 have sooo much grip, I had to adjust my footwork a lot because it’s basically sticky. Not the case on normal gym floor.
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2018 at 6:43pm
The only time I felt my mizuno wave medal 5 has a grip was on Gerflor. That happened once.....on the usual concrete floors around here those are waiste of money and a feet killer
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2018 at 7:27pm
#1. Hard slippery floors

Either concrete or basketball wood floors

I have 2 pair of different Butterfly shoes. They have the same bottom tread pattern which is most similar to the Lezoline Mach. I bought them from China as factory rejects, no flaws in the rubber tread. They work great on slick floors when the wet towel technique works.

Regular basketball shoes work on the same floors when the wet towel technique works.

pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2018 at 7:41pm
I am playing in Asics Gel Rockets 7, volleyball shoe with decent cushioning and hybrid sole - it has both yellow and gray colored gum or whatever you call it. 

They are fine on our club's wooden floors, did well in the occasional basketball court-like situations, and were surprisingly effective on concrete floors that are a staple at US Open and Thanksgiving Teams. I don't play on proper sports floors too often, but they seem to do OK there as well. I suspect having slightly different materials in the sole make it a decent (if not the best on everything) compromise. 

Now, of course, my footwork is not really that good, so if you are flying all over the court, then you might want something else. 

USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2018 at 8:42pm
I'm using Bobolat shoes.  I was told they are for indoor tennis, racketball and badminton.  I like them on all floors.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2018 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Fabian1890 Fabian1890 wrote:

For the last week I have only played on original red Gerflor and my Mizuno wave drive 8 have sooo much grip, I had to adjust my footwork a lot because it’s basically sticky. Not the case on normal gym floor.

The first time I started playing on that floor I anticipated that it would be really easy but for a few weeks it was exhausting. You can't slide your feet and any attempt to do so will hurt you.  You have to lift them up and place them where you want them at which point they are firmly stuck.  And that takes effort until the motor patterns get set in place.  In fact, I like my shoes better after they have worn a bit because too much grip is bad on a Gerfloor or something similar.  Not as bad as too little, but still bad.
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2018 at 9:12pm
mizuno wave medal 5 works fine on different floor surfaces but I mainly play on gym floors and they get dusty but the shoes have good grip.
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2018 at 2:46am
Some guys around me are using Babolat and Yonex badminton shoes. They seem to hold very well on slippery floors, while I had to keep a wet cloth near the table for my Wave Medal5. Those also offer way better cushioning. Now I use Li Ning and so far they seem to perform better on the many different flooring I play on
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2018 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

1. What are the best shoes to use on hard slippery floors?  Is it necessary to sacrifice grip for cushioning?

4.  What are the best shoes for people at risk for foot and ankle injuries, tendonitis, or fasciitis?

Oh boy so many questions... so many options...

1. Basketball or volleyball shoes (low tops) with good ankle support. Can have both cushioning and grip if you find the right model, sacrificing agility by adding weight/less floor feel.

2. Any gum soles, which are most pliable IMO... Mizuno Wave Medal 5 and Wave Medal Z SE have very good gum soles that make it very grippy on red floors. Indoor soccer shoes with gum soles work as well but you are sacrificing cushioning for grip.

3. Wave Drive 8 have good toe flexibility because of soft toe box and soft outer sole. Poor cushioning and foot lockdown IMO.

4. Any shoes with good ankle support, foot lockdown. I find most top end basketball shoes (low tops) have good ankle and forefoot lockdown to prevent injuries (Nike, adidas, etc).

Having tried 
Mizuno: Wave Drive 8, Wave Medal 5, Medal Z SE (tt shoes)
Asics: Gel Court Control (indoor court shoes), Wave Tornado X (vball shoes)

I have an issue with TT shoes and here is why... TT shoes work well for individuals that are quick on their feet and have good foot work. Being 185lbs or so at 6'3 I do not consider myself overweight BUT I feel as my frame and body is not well supported by TT shoes because of lack of cushioning AND support. Thus I can see why some individuals that use TT shoes can develop injuries rather easily. 

For example, if I had to guess average weight for a male pro TT player is around 155-165lbs. Their agility/footwork is obviously much better than mine or anyone else's that is over 185lbs (made up number, not significant) so they would benefit much more from wearing popular TT shoes such as mizuno/butterfly/asics. HOWEVER, for us common folks (especially ones considered overweight) TT shoes might not be the best shoes on any type of court conditions, because of higher risk of injury and etc. 

My advice, if you feel TT shoes give you pain, and you tried a ridiculous number of different insoles (like me), change your shoes! Go for basketball or Vball shoes since these shoes are specifically designed to support bigger frames/weight and offer more support and cushioning.

My little rant on shoes. Confused

Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2018 at 2:44pm
I would say the best solution for slippery floor is to carry a medium/small towel you can pour some water on and then place it near the table. A wet towel always helps me on slippery floors.

Do they not allow wet towels at tournaments?

FdT
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2018 at 3:00pm
Some factors to consider for TT shoes are:

Composition of rubber sole, tread pattern for grip or slide or in between, ankle and foot support, breathability, impact absorbing ability, flexibility of shoe in the front, soft or hard cushioning, design of extra material to keep mesh from separating from bottom of shoe, Overall weight and distribution of weight, and lastly - fashion statement.

There are zero shoes that will work optimal in every different floor condition.

Makers will design a sole composition and tread pattern to favor one surface over another, or be moderate in most conditions.

Some of the top shoes (think of the $120 BTY colorful ones and the Axis I wear) make a tread patter that allows slide on Geflor when loosening, and more grip when planting, but when you plant, there are 3x the number of individual grip points on the outside bottom, so when you are sliding to side and plant, these grip quickly to allow you to stop on a dime, then push off the other way with excellent grip.

The $60 Joola shoes our local club sells have a tread pattern of large points and not so many, so it will slide better on Geflor and has better cushioning, but would play so crappy on a slick floor.

The $80 Butterfly ones with a simple white outside have closely spaced wavy tread cuts that go all across the width of the shoe. This will give good grip on slick floor, and when worn some, allow for some slide on Geflor. That is a simple and effective way to go about performing on more than one surface.

This hybrid approach to gripping gives the best overall performance among the combination of all surfaces over a shoe with a consistent pattern designed to favor one surface.

One can look at the design of the tread and easily see what it is going to do for you. 

The other design factors are subtle, but very important.

The Nexy Axis product description shows that Pr Moon U.B. went to great length to communicate the advantages of the design factors he chose to improve upon. Looking at the explanations, one can improve awareness of what goes into design and how it helps performance in certain areas.

I do not link it, this has already been posted on a couple threads.

The Axis have excellent toe flexibility, but that comes at a cost of less cushioning there.

Another big area touched upon by DreiZ is the soft or hard cushioning. If you want soft cushioning, you lose a LOT of ability to stop on a dime and rebound quickly. Also, those usually have a heavier weight.

One must carefully consider what one wants to receive and give up for shoes. 

Overall, the TT shoe industry has GREATLY stepped up its game by improving on every one of the factors. Even the fashion statement aspect is there, so many colorful ones by every maker, while still keeping the performance factors.

Edited by BH-Man - 07/20/2018 at 3:07pm
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2018 at 3:05pm
By the way, I am 5' 8'' short dude weighing 100 kg 220 lbs... I have for the last 3 yrs used 2nd/3rd gen Nexy Petra and the 4th gen Axis that have the medium aggressive inside and aggressive outside treads, but do not have extra cushioning up front.

I survive all day long on concrete (like US Open), but yeah, you can feel it more on that surface.

DreiZ addresses an important consideration.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2018 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

By the way, I am 5' 8'' short dude weighing 100 kg 220 lbs... I have for the last 3 yrs used 2nd/3rd gen Nexy Petra and the 4th gen Axis that have the medium aggressive inside and aggressive outside treads, but do not have extra cushioning up front.

I survive all day long on concrete (like US Open), but yeah, you can feel it more on that surface.

DreiZ addresses an important consideration.

Ive been using the Mizuno Wave Medal Z SE for a while now and they offer good support, light weight, and superb grip but lack cushioning. Not entirely happy with them, going to be trying some bball and vball shoes to find that right balance between good cushioning and good support without too much bulkiness.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2018 at 8:02pm
Especially the shoes with great toe bend flexibility have pretty much the worst cushioning up front. Still, that can be mitigated by a very thin proper arch support, which helps. 

When one goes to a shoe with great cushioning, they are way heavier and lack some other things.

One has to decide what is most important, where they will give some, and where they will adjust.

Baal made a great point about simply adjusting the footwork for grippy shoes on Geflor.

There is NO one shoe that will have it all, but several that do very well in many areas, exceptional in some... that make it worth using knowing the trade-off and be willing to adjust.

If you are a strong guy, (which I think U is) it is easier to adjust to the heavier weight of a more cushioned shoe and the different type of movement required.

So all in all, one can still made a trade-off or two and not lose much over-all.
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2018 at 5:18am
I am glad so many of us mentioned "cushioning" and already know how important cushion is. If this thread was open only two years ago I wouldn't have bought the damn Medal 5(two pairs) and thus avoiding the nasty plantar. BTW I am an average guy 1.76m /76kg who does at least once a week extensive footwork training
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2018 at 12:37pm
Most flexible futsal shoes work best for me. Best thing is that theyr pretty cheap, since you usually find them discounted at most places, around 30 usd gets you a pretty good shoe from any top brand. I'm around 176cm and weigh 63kg, so yeah, I'm on the lighter side, I hate shoes with too much cushioning. Since I don't have enough weight to compressed the cushioned sole, I feel like I'm floating in the air, as in, I can't get a good feel of the ground, which is the one thing that hurts my movement in tt the most.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2018 at 2:47pm
I wish I was floating in the air.....
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2018 at 11:55am
what are the good volleyball shoes available? I have used the Asics Gel Rocket series in the past. However, I've read that the latest version (Gel Rocket 8) is poorly made relative to the prior models.
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2018 at 12:22pm
I use mizuno wave rx3, they are well made and durable
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2018 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

what are the good volleyball shoes available? I have used the Asics Gel Rocket series in the past. However, I've read that the latest version (Gel Rocket 8) is poorly made relative to the prior models.

Don't have much experience with these, but a lot of friends that have even using gel rockets since years said the 8 is a bit 'different' to the previous versions. To me, the 8 feels like a downgrade, 'looks' more like a lower end version of asics volleyball shoe line. I personally really like the 6, worn it for a few sessions and for some reason i like it better than the 7 too, feels more premium overall. Either way, this is my personal opinion and even if the 8 is a downgrade in my books, it is still a good shoe and still a good option in its price range.

Have also owned a pair of gel blade 5s in the past and they were not too great imo (apart from how good they look). Not as much cushioning as the rockets and not as light on the feet as the usual futsal shoes i use.

See if you can find the rocket 6 or 7 on sale, that would be great.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2018 at 3:49pm
I bought a pair of Gel Rocket 6 many years ago, it just lasts and lasts.
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2018 at 3:57pm
Based on my limited experience:

Re: Adidas Samba

Re: Mizuno's

Re: Kelme Star 360 Michellin

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 07/23/2018 at 4:05pm
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2018 at 6:53pm
Patrick are the Adidas and Kelme indoor soccer shoes?
JEAus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEAus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2018 at 7:54pm
I've settled on the Yonex badminton shoes. They tend to have more cushioning than table tennis shoes while still being very light, and pretty low.

They are very grippy, and long lasting. I usually change them when the sole starts to harden after a few years.

I don't know how supportive they are as I wear orthotics anyway.

They do have a bit less lateral support than good TT shoes, and are relatively expensive.
Regards,
Jonathan
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2018 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by JEAus JEAus wrote:

I've settled on the Yonex badminton shoes. They tend to have more cushioning than table tennis shoes while still being very light, and pretty low.

They are very grippy, and long lasting. I usually change them when the sole starts to harden after a few years.

I don't know how supportive they are as I wear orthotics anyway.

They do have a bit less lateral support than good TT shoes, and are relatively expensive.
What model of Yonex shoe is this?
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
JEAus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEAus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2018 at 9:04pm
[/QUOTE]
What model of Yonex shoe is this?
[/QUOTE]
Currently the SHB-02. I struggle a lot to find shoes that fit, but these work pretty well for me.
All the Yonex shoes are very grippy, but different models have different compromises between cushioning, support and weight. The current SHB-03 was also suitable, but I preferred the look of the 02.
Regards,
Jonathan
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2018 at 9:08pm
I know someone on here owns Babolat Shadow Spirit
Do they run true to size?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2018 at 10:19pm
If you are not overweight and more on the athletic side, i suggets you get the Xiom Footwork 18 shoes. Very grippy.

If you want something soft and grippy, I suggest you get the Stiga Liner 2
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2018 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Patrick are the Adidas and Kelme indoor soccer shoes?

Yes they are, futsal shoes to be specific ;)

There are brands like joma, kelme etc that make pretty darn good futsal shoes that usually go on sale for pretty cheap. Even mid-range Adidas, nike, puma shoes can be had for around 30usd on sale.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic