FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

When to take the next step on equipment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rugg View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When to take the next step on equipment
    Posted: 09/15/2018 at 8:48pm
How do you know when to take the next step when it comes to equipment upgrades? What are the logical steps when upgrading equipment? Rubber first or blade first? When changing rubber should I increase the thickness first or change to a faster rubber at the same thickness?

I have been taking lessons for 4 months and I'm currently rocking a beginners combo from Colestt (Yinhe N11s with Gambler Burst 1.7). I'd say I'm somewhere around 900-1000 USATT. This equipment is definitely fine for me now, but how far will it be able to take me and how do I know when it's holding back my game?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just curious about table tennis equipment and the upgrade process!
Sponsored Links

IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2018 at 9:25pm
It used to be a common saying that you could play at a usatt1800 level with a Korbel and Sriver. Although skill has little to do with equipment. Many players under usatt2000 feel the need to use fast carbon blades and spinny tensors to give them an edge. But in the end, you will play only as good as you are skilled and not as good as your equipment.

My 2 cents: messing with equipment is a can of worms, and will often impair improvement if you are constantly looking to try new things- however fun it might be. What you've got is good enough for now, no need to worry about faster spinnier stuff.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2018 at 10:02pm
What does your coach say ? He/she should know your game best.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Rugg View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2018 at 10:18pm
My coach hasn't said anything specific about the paddle and rubber I'm using. I'm just curious because there are a lot of options out there.
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2018 at 5:39am
It depends about your age and numbers of hours you can train and current level.
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2018 at 10:41am
I thinl baal posted once that when changing equipment you should have specific attributes that you want in the new equipment. And also understand you will be giving something up in exchange.

It seems like you are using a five ply wood blade and not-very-lively rubbers. So if you want more speed you could get a faster blade. You will give up some control. You might want to put tensor rubbers on your N11, to start playing with more spin. That will put more pressure on your ability to read spin, especially on service return. It can be frustrating to miss a lot of receives while you adjust, but if you accepted that as part of the change then it's easier to be patient.

If I were you I would keep the blade and put different rubbers on. At least by the 1200-ish level, it's good imo to use a spinny rubber. Any of the older generation tensors would be a fine choice, like xiom vega euro, donic baracuda, andro hexer, you could pick what's on sale, it doesn't really matter.

If I were you I would stay with a five ply wood until around usatt 16-1700, which is normally a player with a solid fh loop vs backspin and block, good allround basic strokes, but often lacking in bh loop and short game flicks and short pushes. But it's really about what feels good to you. There are slow and fast carbon blades and slow and fast wood blades. Try as many different setups as you can just by borrowing people's stuff for a quick hit, and see what feels good to you.

The people who say equipment doesn't matter, that's half true and half wrong. It's true that if a 2200 player uses your colestt setup, they will still be really really good. And if you get a 'pro' setup like viscaria with h3fh and t05bh, you are not going to play any better, probably worse. But if you have a fh loop technique with your gambler 1.7 rubber, and you put a sheet of say bluefire 2.1 on instead, your loop will immediately be spinnier and have more safety over the net. That is the case as soon as you are playing with spin. Same applies to serves and all spinny strokes.

What doesn't matter is the ej thing of trying 20 rubbers or blades that are all basically the same. If you have a specific reason behind every change it helps stay out of the ej trap.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2018 at 11:02am
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

I thinl baal posted once that when changing equipment you should have specific attributes that you want in the new equipment. And also understand you will be giving something up in exchange.

It seems like you are using a five ply wood blade and not-very-lively rubbers. So if you want more speed you could get a faster blade. You will give up some control. You might want to put tensor rubbers on your N11, to start playing with more spin. That will put more pressure on your ability to read spin, especially on service return. It can be frustrating to miss a lot of receives while you adjust, but if you accepted that as part of the change then it's easier to be patient.

If I were you I would keep the blade and put different rubbers on. At least by the 1200-ish level, it's good imo to use a spinny rubber. Any of the older generation tensors would be a fine choice, like xiom vega euro, donic baracuda, andro hexer, you could pick what's on sale, it doesn't really matter.

If I were you I would stay with a five ply wood until around usatt 16-1700, which is normally a player with a solid fh loop vs backspin and block, good allround basic strokes, but often lacking in bh loop and short game flicks and short pushes. But it's really about what feels good to you. There are slow and fast carbon blades and slow and fast wood blades. Try as many different setups as you can just by borrowing people's stuff for a quick hit, and see what feels good to you.

The people who say equipment doesn't matter, that's half true and half wrong. It's true that if a 2200 player uses your colestt setup, they will still be really really good. And if you get a 'pro' setup like viscaria with h3fh and t05bh, you are not going to play any better, probably worse. But if you have a fh loop technique with your gambler 1.7 rubber, and you put a sheet of say bluefire 2.1 on instead, your loop will immediately be spinnier and have more safety over the net. That is the case as soon as you are playing with spin. Same applies to serves and all spinny strokes.

What doesn't matter is the ej thing of trying 20 rubbers or blades that are all basically the same. If you have a specific reason behind every change it helps stay out of the ej trap.

That's some pretty good advice - I would probably add two things. First, get some tournament experience - it looks like you only have 'estimated' rating instead of a real one. Once you play a few matches, you might discover that your game has holes you did not know existed, and perhaps it's not the spin or speed of your strokes that matters the most. It will help you to evaluate tradeoffs better.

Speaking of speed - your setup is more than capable of producing it as is, and second, most of players at your level don't need more speed, they need to be able to put ball on the table. Yes, I know, it was BRS who brought up 'more speed' scenario, just want to make sure you understand the tradeoff here. My setup is probably the slowest one you can think of - I played a guy close to your level yesterday, he had Viscaria and Tenergy 05 max on both sides. It was not pretty.

Finally, since your coach does not bring up new equipment, it's a good indicator you don't need it yet. If you want to satisfy your curiosity, try someone else's paddles to get a feel for what is out there.
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2018 at 11:40am
Yes, pgpg is right, I def do not recommend looking for more speed at usatt 1000 level, just an example.

piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2018 at 11:45am
I would change rubbers to 2.0 thickness. with 1.7 hard to pay offensive. get something like Acuda S2 or Vega Europe in 2.0 thickness

Edited by piligrim - 09/16/2018 at 11:46am
Rugg View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2018 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

That's some pretty good advice - I would probably add two things. First, get some tournament experience - it looks like you only have 'estimated' rating instead of a real one. Once you play a few matches, you might discover that your game has holes you did not know existed, and perhaps it's not the spin or speed of your strokes that matters the most. It will help you to evaluate tradeoffs better.

Speaking of speed - your setup is more than capable of producing it as is, and second, most of players at your level don't need more speed, they need to be able to put ball on the table. Yes, I know, it was BRS who brought up 'more speed' scenario, just want to make sure you understand the tradeoff here. My setup is probably the slowest one you can think of - I played a guy close to your level yesterday, he had Viscaria and Tenergy 05 max on both sides. It was not pretty.

Finally, since your coach does not bring up new equipment, it's a good indicator you don't need it yet. If you want to satisfy your curiosity, try someone else's paddles to get a feel for what is out there.

Thanks BRS and pgpg for the solid write ups. I am playing in my first USATT tournament in 2 weeks so we will see how that goes. My biggest weakness at the moment is my serve return, so it sounds like I should settle that before I make any changes. It is good to have a bit of a baseline going forward on when to expect to make some changes.
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2018 at 10:15am
Get Viscaria or TB ALC with Tenergy 05 both sides. Once you get used to this you will never feel a need to change for something else, If your game is attack oriented inverted rubbers both sides. Simply this setup is the most used among PROS and non-pros of all levels (for a reason)!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic