Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Yasaka Sweden Extra replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yasaka Sweden Extra replacement
    Posted: 09/20/2018 at 9:35am
Hi everyone,

I have recently started playing with the Yasaka Sweden Extra blade. I was previously using a Tibhar Stratus Power Wood. I am an improving adult player and decided to actually slow down my blade to better learn technique and the TSPW is fast for a 5 ply (mine was 1370 Hz if you buy into that correlation).

I love the feel of the blade. It's exactly what I wanted. I am a looper on both wings and it feels better in the hand than any other blade I have tried and I have tried dozens by now from other people.

However there is an issue, I have quite big hands and although the straight handle isnt small its a bit small for me compared to the TSPW which had a really lovely size of ST handle. I like straight handles but thickness turns out to be more important i.e. id choose thick flared over thin straight. Another issue is weight. It's a bit light for me at 84g and my TSPW is 91 which I preferred.

So to the question at hand, what are similar blades to the Extra in feeling, speed and other properties which are available a bit heavier (I know they vary quite a bit) and that has a larger handle? I know anegre outer is not so common I used strictly Limba outers before. No budget limit within reason (so no MJSZLC lol). I may use grip tape as a temporary solution and with how much I sweat that's probably a good one but I prefer the feeling without tape.

Violin L-handle?
Ma Lin Soft Carbon?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links

Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2018 at 9:59am
Sounds overly circuitous to me.

Just fit a custom handle on your preferred blade. Or ask someone to.
It can be heavy wood so you get your unnecessary weight too.
Pr1nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pr1nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2018 at 10:15am
Nittaku Violin L-handle. If you dont have money for that then Ma Long SC is great choise for a blade with alot of control and feel. In future when you take it to the next level you can get Nittaku Ludeack, Stiga Clipper, Avalox P700...
Blade: Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: Victas V > 15 Extra
BH: Victas V > 15 Extra
GabrielTopspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GabrielTopspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2018 at 11:15am
you should try some carbon blades, the carbon gives you good stability in your strokes, i played with allwood a long time (tibhar stratus powerwood) than after i got better i played with carbon for more power and adapt my strokes to carbon, after i went back to allwood i really missed the advantages from carbon (sweetspot, better placement, a little less spin, but with the right rubber no problem) so when you buy some new blades i would suggest that you try some carbon blades; they must not be really fast, i hope this could help

here are some good blades: who are not too fast and are very good :D

(1)first my main blade at the moment: Nittaku Kasumi Special - best blade i tried, and i tried a looot)
2) Butterfly Liu Shiwen
3)Butterfly Innerforce Layer ALC / Xiom Vega Europe
4) Andro Treiber K - Andro Treiber Cl OFF

Pr1nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pr1nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2018 at 11:51am
If you are going for a combo of Limba+carbon+lot of money,then you go for: Bty Liu Shiwen, Innerforce ZLC, Mizutani ZLC, Xiom Vega Pro(now is 88€ at tabletennis11.com).

Edited by Pr1nc - 09/20/2018 at 11:52am
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2018 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Lightzy Lightzy wrote:

Sounds overly circuitous to me.

Just fit a custom handle on your preferred blade. Or ask someone to.
It can be heavy wood so you get your unnecessary weight too.

This could be an option but I wouldn't know where to start. Easier to just buy a new one I think, if one exists, I don't have woodworking skill or know anyone who does. As for the "unnecessary" weight, it's just a preference. The heavier racket felt better when swinging to me. I weigh 90kg+ so that may have something to do with it.

Not sure why carbon blades are being recommended. I went from TSPW to Extra because I reckoned TSPW was too fast for optimal technical development. I have also tried many carbon blades, including Vega Pro, TB Spirit, VS Unlimited etc and they all felt too fast and like bricks to me.

Violin L-handle was one of the possibilities from my research. How big is it's handle vs Sweden Extra and what general weights does it come in?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GabrielTopspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2018 at 12:51pm
yeah there a little bit on the expensive site, but better pay 30-40 more and have quality and you must not change your blade every day or week like your rubbers :DD

xiom is very bad (not for there quality), they discontinued the xiom vega pro (stiffer) and vega euro (more controll) -

Edited by GabrielTopspin - 09/20/2018 at 12:52pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GabrielTopspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2018 at 12:54pm
The Kasumi special and the liu shiwen are very soft blades, especially the liu shiwen from butterfly, it is very popular and famous for his spin qualitys, it is on the speed level from the tspw (the liu shiwen has more gears and is softer aswell) both have super handles and are controlled topspin monsters, but packed with tones of controll :D

Edited by GabrielTopspin - 09/20/2018 at 12:55pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GabrielTopspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2018 at 12:55pm
Have i mentioned the word controll :D
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2018 at 1:03pm
I have a Foco OFF+ . Really fast, do it all blade with a big squarish handle although could be a bit light for your liking...but if you ask they may provide you with a heavier one. Absolum is another quick and heavier option. More expensive as well
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2018 at 2:53pm
Thanks for some good suggestions guys. I will research handle size, weight and composition of these blades you mentioned. If only companies provided this basic information more freely for the customer! Amazingly hard to find sometimes.
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2018 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Pr1nc Pr1nc wrote:

Nittaku Violin L-handle. If you dont have money for that then Ma Long SC is great choise for a blade with alot of control and feel. In future when you take it to the next level you can get Nittaku Ludeack, Stiga Clipper, Avalox P700...

What is Ma Long SC btw?
Pr1nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pr1nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2018 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by FruitLoop FruitLoop wrote:

Originally posted by Pr1nc Pr1nc wrote:

What is Ma Long SC btw?

:D I mean Ma Lin soft carbon
Tyler45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyler45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2018 at 9:35pm
Buy an osp virtuoso with a sq st handle and don’t look back. Best feeling. Enough speed. Large chunky handle.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2018 at 12:02am
You might want to try a butterfly grip tape before changing blades. I used them on yasaka sweden classics and they felt great. Adds a few grams and makes the handle size perfect.
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2018 at 5:57am
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

You might want to try a butterfly grip tape before changing blades. I used them on yasaka sweden classics and they felt great. Adds a few grams and makes the handle size perfect.

This will be my temporary solution. I have Tibhar grip tape.

Virtuoso was more like TSPW I thought? Which feels quite different than my Sweden Extra. Sweden Extra flexes more and is slightly crisper with a touch more vibration.
juanma4080 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juanma4080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2018 at 10:34am
Go for primorac or Petr Korbel!!
MCollins View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2018 at 1:04pm
Virtuoso is a great choice.  Maybe even Appelgren Allplay, although it's probably a touch slower and less crisp than Sweden Extra.  I actually thought Korbel was quite a step up from Sweden Extra, but it's a great blade as well.  Very easy to get heavy Korbels.
My Feedback
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75703&title=feedback-mcollins
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2018 at 1:26pm
Thanks, I have tried lots of these classic Limba construction blades and none feel quite as good as the Extra. Virtuoso excepted, not seen anyone with one of those.

Still thinking Violin L-Handle or Ma Lin Soft Carbon might be best chance but can anyone tell me if their straight handle blades are even any bigger than the Sweden Extra? I can't find any info on the MLSC handle and conflicting reports about size of violin L-handle.
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2018 at 5:24am
Check out the xiom fuga. Big straight squared handle with lots of feel. İt's light but I'm sure you can find a heavier one.
Nittaku Tenaly Acoustic Inner Carbon
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2018 at 8:48am
If you have a chance to try the classic one, you might be surprised by qualities of this humble product. 

http://www.sanweisport.com/english/?p=2523

I have a great temptation to go for composite blade, however, for now sticking to all wood for exactly same reasons as you. I am learning techniques and deliberately going for medium soft rubber in order to force myself to move (foot work) to create a better contact angle and also to engage muscles and body into strokes.

Every now and them (about every 4th training) I am leaving my main all wood blade at home and taking carbon or carbokevlar. So far, I always want to go back to all wood, it's feedback is much better. Similarly like you, I concluded that at my level composites feel like bricks (even thought it is easier to play with them and game is faster).

Edited by fmarek - 09/22/2018 at 9:08am
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2018 at 10:03am
Originally posted by TSuBaSa TSuBaSa wrote:

Check out the xiom fuga. Big straight squared handle with lots of feel. İt's light but I'm sure you can find a heavier one.

I changed to Fuga (Koto-Spruce-Ayous) from Stiga Offensive Wood NCT (Limba-Spruce-Ayous). I much prefer Fuga. Stiga has a strong catapult effect that I thought was due to the spruce layer until I got Fuga. Fuga totally does not have this effect and makes flat hits easy. I find Fuga very predictable in different kinds of shots. My main complaint is the handle (rectangular cross-section FL). It is just not as comfortable for me as on my stiga (round FL)
Force Pro Special 7ply
FH: Fastarc C-1 1.4
BH: Tenergy 80 1.7
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic