Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Wish Butterfly Makes a "Super" Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Humble Bear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humble Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wish Butterfly Makes a "Super" Viscaria
    Posted: 11/27/2018 at 1:04am
I really like the feel of the Timo Boll ALC & the Viscaria but they seem a little too slow for me.  Why does Butterfly make so many ALC with the same thickness of 5.7-5.8mm but with different names (Spirit, TB, Viscaria, ZJK & etc).  I wish they come out with a 6.0-6.1mm version in the future.  Would you buy one?
ZJK ALC, MJ SZLC, Viscaria
Sponsored Links

purpletiesto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpletiesto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 1:20am
They do ... https://shop.butterflyonline.com/zhang-jike-super-zlc-7769p

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humble Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 1:35am
Originally posted by purpletiesto purpletiesto wrote:

NO...that's not ALC.
jackass22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackass22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 2:40am
butterfly Freitas alc is 6 mm. Its better blade than boll alc and viscaria. Better control, more linear, better power.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 7:13am
Agree, and why not Super ALC while they're at it?
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 7:14am
$799.00?

:)
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 7:38am
Originally posted by in2spin in2spin wrote:

$799.00?

:)
$999 like iPhone x

Call it viscaria  x
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpletiesto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Humble Bear Humble Bear wrote:

Originally posted by purpletiesto purpletiesto wrote:

NO...that's not ALC.

OBVIOUSLY...you're not getting much faster than a TB ALC when it comes to an ALC blade, mate.

Why don't you like your MJ SZLC or ZLC? The outer layer on the ZJK SZLC/ZLC is the same as the Vis/TB ALC, unlike the MJ. Have you tried it?

If you're finding a Bfly ALC blade too slow, you may just be particularly weak or slow. I know a lot of weaker females who like T64FX on their bh with Viscaria. You may want to try this on your fh and see how you go.

Edited by purpletiesto - 11/27/2018 at 10:54am
Lula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 8:02am
I recently played with Spirit but changed to Timo Boll ZLC since i wanted something faster and it is little faster. Might be a good alternative for you!
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 9:46am
The original upgrade to Viscaria was Iolite when both were available.
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 11:05am
andro treiber z is a good option.
feels similar to a viscaria but is thicker.
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 12:18pm
Sounds to me like you might want to start by trying thicker versions of the rubbers you already use. Then If that is not possible, I would try faster rubbers, which there is plenty to choose from (Tibhar Evolution ELP, Tenergy Series, etc).

Switching to a new blade should be the last resource, IMO.

FdT.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humble Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 1:13pm
@purpletiesto:  I actually I love my SZLC, I am a EJ and like to have a good collection.  No, I'm not weak, on the contrary I hit very hard and everywhere I go they describe my shots are "violent".

@jackass22: Freitas ALC has a softer limba surface and is slower per Butterfly website.  I tried my friend's Michael Maze ALC it's plays good but is kind of slow; it's almost the same except it's 0.1mm thinner.

There is nothing wrong with the Viscaria to most people as is, but I just would like a little more zest to it and was bewildered why Butterfly make so much effort making almost identical half dozen ALC blades, why not make one that's thicker and faster.
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 1:39pm

I really like the feel of the Timo Boll ALC & the Viscaria but they seem a little too slow for me.  Why does Butterfly make so many ALC with the same thickness of 5.7-5.8mm but with different names (Spirit, TB, Viscaria, ZJK & etc).  I wish they come out with a 6.0-6.1mm version in the future.  Would you buy one?

it't not slow for best players in a world like Timo Boll but slow for you?
jackwong23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 1:46pm
A 7.00 mm Boll alc will be a dream blade for me. haha.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

Timo is a pro and has good techniques, most amateurs don't
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 1:55pm

@purpletiesto:  I actually I love my SZLC, I am a EJ and like to have a good collection.  No, I'm not weak, on the contrary I hit very hard and everywhere I go they describe my shots are "violent".

@jackass22: Freitas ALC has a softer limba surface and is slower per Butterfly website.  I tried my friend's Michael Maze ALC it's plays good but is kind of slow; it's almost the same except it's 0.1mm thinner.

There is nothing wrong with the Viscaria to most people as is, but I just would like a little more zest to it and was bewildered why Butterfly make so much effort making almost identical half dozen ALC blades, why not make one that's thicker and faster.

This is a very good point. Yes Butterfly should have increased the the thickness of their alc blades, since we are playing with bigger and heavier balls these day.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 2:17pm

can you upload a video of your powerful shots? Just so we get a better idea.
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by jackwong23 jackwong23 wrote:

so players without good technique should use faster blades then pro?
Lula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 3:55pm
I think you should use a blade that suits you and your playing level. It also depends on playing style, Timo plays a bit away from the table and with a lot of topspins. I play closer to the table and with more flat hits, therefore i want a harder blade with lower trajectory. I do not need to have a higher trajectory since i do not play so far from the table. 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by jackwong23 jackwong23 wrote:

you cannot use pro players as a reference because they boost.
so their equipments are much faster than you would think.

Edited by pingpungpeng - 11/27/2018 at 4:07pm
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 5:29pm
HB...

Nexy already made what you are discussing... the OSCAR. That blade is way too fast for me and I handle fast blades OK. The OSCAR and AKRASIA are the only two blades they make I cannot handle well, because they are simply too fast. 

I will tryout the Nexy ACE next week, it is an ALC blade designed to be right up the alley you describe... a little thicker, and faster top end gear.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humble Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 5:49pm
Here is a point I wanna make: when making a winning shot, I prefer to make it with a little more speed.  Sure, winning a point whether slow or fast is equal to another point.  But I am an enthusiast; I enjoy hitting faster shots; I get a kick out of it; it's thrilling; this is my hobby not my career.

I also have players told me they are afraid of playing with me because I hit very hard and that creates emotional pressure on them; not too mention often times I smash the balls into their bodies accidently ( balls land on table first Wink).
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 6:17pm
also try to look at local players in your club or league, that are better than you, but not ittf level.
you will probably find many of them are using really basic off- equipment.
this is the best indication that it's not really about equipment.
Pr1nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pr1nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 8:39pm

Here is a point I wanna make: when making a winning shot, I prefer to make it with a little more speed.  Sure, winning a point whether slow or fast is equal to another point.  But I am an enthusiast; I enjoy hitting faster shots; I get a kick out of it; it's thrilling; this is my hobby not my career.

I also have players told me they are afraid of playing with me because I hit very hard and that creates emotional pressure on them; not too mention often times I smash the balls into their bodies accidently ( balls land on table first Wink).

You are not a looper, you are smasher. Because of that Viscaria, Boll ALC, Spirit, Maze, Freitas... are not for your playing style. Try blades for killing with 3rd ball attack: Schlager Carbon Off+, Gergely carbon, Primorac carbon, Amultart...
Blade: Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: Victas V > 15 Extra
BH: Victas V > 15 Extra

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humble Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Pr1nc Pr1nc wrote:

You are not a looper, you are smasher. Because of that Viscaria, Boll ALC, Spirit, Maze, Freitas... are not for your playing style. Try blades for killing with 3rd ball attack: Schlager Carbon Off+, Gergely carbon, Primorac carbon, Amultart...

I loop topside spin when the shots are low but drive when higher and smash when high.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 10:27pm
The problem is that several of the different plastic ball constructions upend the classic "slow blade for control" paradigm.

I don't think a slow blade has a control advantage with plastic balls.

With celluloid, a slow blade would give you the necessary dwell to establish control via more topspin. This worked for decades because you could speed glue for more spin and speed. After the glue ban, you could then boost for more speed as long as the base rubber was spinny enough. A slow blade gave you the control to place your shots, and kept your pushes and short game and short services safe.

Fast forward to plastic balls, and you can afford to use a faster blade, because quickness off the bounce is more important (the game has evolved to placement and speed over spin). On the consumer side, modern German Tensors, select Japanese rubbers and a few hybrid Chinese can finally produce BOTH slow/short/drop shots and safe pushes as well as producing "enough" spin to keep the ball on the table. 

The bottom line is that control is different now, and I suspect depends more on the sheet of rubber, but in many cases begins to disappear when the rubber sheet begins to wear or loses factory tune.

Edited by icontek - 11/27/2018 at 10:31pm
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 11:03pm
Yinhe V14 Pro ?
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humble Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2018 at 1:53am
I am actually very happy with my Mizutani ZLC & SZLC; they are fast, spinny but with very good control and good throw angle.  With this med+ throw angle, I can do a very fast loop and the ball will still land on the other side without going long. Most blades with higher throw angle are too slow and to easy for the opponents to attack.

If Butterfly ever come out with the thicker/faster version of the Viscaria, I would buy it maybe as a backup or who knows.

@pingpungpeng: yes I actually had the Andro Treiber Z and the speed and control was good, but the spin & throw angle was a little low and the feel was too mild so I ended up selling it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpletiesto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2018 at 2:23am
Have you tried the ZJK versions with the same outer ply as the Viscaria? I reckon this might be exactly what you're looking for.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic