Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Custom blades Review from Speedy.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robin.w View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin.w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom blades Review from Speedy.
    Posted: 02/19/2019 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by speedy speedy wrote:

Originally posted by Robin.w Robin.w wrote:

Second order of Speedy. These two are designed to be speedy. 1mm thicker core ply and Spruce intermediate ply 0.2mm thicker than normal(spruce is much stiffer than the limba or ayous). Total thickness 7mm. Weight 91.5 and 91.9 grams
We call them " Violence Vis".

It's perfect thickness and weight for my game.  I will let you all know about the performance later. 

EDITED:  The review below is created on February 18, 2019.

After 2 weeks playing with these blade, I can give a good review on this "Violence Vis."

First impression:  As you all can see, these blades look really nice.  After I applied some water-based sealer on the blades and handles.  They look even better (sorry, I am too lazy to take pictures).  Also, the handles are very comfortable to hold.  It feels exactly like the Clipper CR ST, and I love the Cliiper CR ST.  They are the best in my opinion.

Bounce test without rubbers:  When I bounced the ball without the rubbers, it doesn't have the speed that I expected.  I worried.  That's all for this.

Bounce test with the rubbers:  When I bounced the ball with the rubbers (short pips on the backhand and inverted on the forehand), it feels better.  However, it doesn't feel fast at all.  I worried LOL

First practice session I took it to my first practice session.  After I drive the ball twice, my concerns went away.  This is the monster I have been trying to create for my game.  If you play short pips on one side and inverted on the other side, then you have this one problem.  Are you ready?  You can't find a blade that give you the speed for your pips, but give you the power and control for your inverted.  This is a common problem.  It is difficult to find a blade that gives you the balance game for both sides.  So, what do you do?  You create the "Violence Vis" like I did.

Comparing to other blades when playing games:

Violence Vis ST vs. Clipper CR ST:  Of course, the Violence Vis is faster than the Clipper CR by at least 15%.  So, did the speed destroy the control?  No, it didn't.  It's faster than Clipper CR, but to me, the control is almost the same for my forehand with inverted rubber.  For the backhand with short pips, the Clipper CR has more control for blocking.  If you play with short pips, you know this issue I am about the tell you.  For passive blocking, it doesn't matter what blade you use.  However, for active (counter) blocking, it is good that you have a solid blade to punch the ball back.  This Violence Vis has this fast gear to destroy the topspin and punch through the opponent.   What about forehand loops/smashes?  Again, Clipper CR has that control near the table.  It can places the ball well.  Because the Violence Vis is faster, I had to learn and adjust a little, but within the first 15 minutes, it feels the same as the Clipper CR (this experience will vary depending on your level).  For mid-distance and far away from the table, the Violence Vis wins hands down.  It's not even a contest.  I could counter-looping effortless.  Last but not least, some of you may know me and my game.  I am forehand/backhand smasher.  I am not a looper.  So, if a blade can't smash well, I don't care how much that blade cost, I just don't care for it.  What about the Violence Vis?  It smashes well.  It reminds of the Butterfly Keyshot in the 38mm ball era.

Violence Vis ST vs. Michael Maze ST:  Before I do the comparison between these two, I will tell you this.  I use Michael Maze exclusively since the ITTF changed the ball from celluloid to plastic.  Why?  It has everything that I need; however, I always feel that I need more speed to play off the table (i.e. mid-distance).  For passive blocks, I don't really see a big difference between these two blades.  In fact, I prefer the Maze.  It seems to have that consistency (maybe, I am used to this blade).  With more practice with the Violence Vis, I may be able to have the same consistency that I do with the Maze.  For active (counter) blocking, again, the Violence Vis wins.  It has that speed advantage over the Maze.  Sometimes, we need that 2% speed to get the ball over the net.  In this case, it has about 10% more speed on the backhand.  For forehand loop near-the-table, the Maze feels better.  The Violence Vis struggles a little bit.  But, let's think about this a little bit.  I am not a looper LOL.  I am a smasher.  I don't care how it loops.  At my level, I know how to spin the first one on the table.  I only spin the first ball on the table and smash the next one coming over on my side.  So, the Violence Vis is perfect for my game.  For mid-distance counter-looping, again, the Violence Vis shines.  Maze is not bad, but its lack of power can hurt you a little because your opponent can easily block the ball back.

Rubbers:  I purposely left this information out of my review because I don't think it matters that much (or maybe I want keep this secret to myself Wink).  No, I am not a selfish person.  I will tell you.  I have been using Moristo SP 1.8mmm (thick) for the last 12 years.  Of course, I used it to test on the backhand.  For the forehand, I use Tenergy 80 and Donic Bluefire M3.  I prefer the T80.  It has better spin game.  The Bluefire M3 is not that bad, but when it comes to smashing, the T80 is better.  I briefly tested Hurricane 3 on the Violence Vis, and to my surprise, it was nice too.  However, I haven't played games with H3, so I can't tell you much here.  I don't do review for a blade or a rubber without playing a real game.

Spilling my secret:  What's the design of my Violence Vis?  As you can see, I love my Michael Maze, but it doesn't have the power/speed that I needed.  I tested the Butterfly Freitas ALC.  I liked it, but I am not going to pay anything over $200 anymore.  I used to do that, but no more.  Also, I have been playing soccer (football) a lot more (at least 6 hours a week) than table tennis (1 hour/month).  So, you can see my money goes to soccer more.  Enough of the non-sense about my soccer LOL.  So, I designed my Violence Vis similar to the Freitas, but a little bit faster (Robin can give you the details).

Final thoughts:  Does the Violence Vis play like any blades out there?  It's stupid for me to say it plays like anything out there.  I designed it differently, so it is unique.  I doesn't play like anything out there.  A better question would be who should use these blades?  I can easily answer that question.  If you are looking for something has more speed (not necessary better) than M. Maze, than this is the blade for you.  If you want a custom blade that is functional, this is the blade.  We all want beautiful custom-made blade, I get it. However, if it's not functional (meaning you can't trust it enough to play a tournament with it), then it's trash.

If you have any specific questions, PM me.

Good luck all,
Sponsored Links

Robin.w View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin.w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 12:28pm
Those are two blades speedy are talking about above. Speedy is such a easy going and trust worthy  guy i have made deals with for several times. He know what he want and how to achieve that.  

Originally posted by Robin.w Robin.w wrote:

Second order of Speedy. These two are designed to be speedy. 1mm thicker core ply and Spruce intermediate ply 0.2mm thicker than normal(spruce is much stiffer than the limba or ayous). Total thickness 7mm. Weight 91.5 and 91.9 grams
We call them " Violence Vis". 

Edited by Robin.w - 02/19/2019 at 12:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic