Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Long pips chopper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pacificspice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacificspice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long pips chopper
    Posted: 03/17/2019 at 8:12pm
Hi all,
I am a 1700 rated player and have been using LP OX Dawei 388D-1 for the last 1 year or so. So far my game had been just using an occasional LP by simply returning fast by side swiping on a chop or chop back on a topspin and attack mostly with my FH( Tenergy 05) whenever I was able to create a high ball from the opponent. 
I am beginning to like chopping with my LP and want to convert myself into a modern defending chopper with the ability to attack on FH whenever I get an opportunity. 
1) I am using Stiga Clipper blade and want to know if this setup is too fast for a modern defender? 
2) Also is ox LP the way to go or should I be adding a thin sponge? Is it easier to chop with a sponge or is it easier to chop ox? I have been hearing people using a thin sponge to be able to loop back with LP as well. 
3) Suggestions on how one should correctly chop with LP's. I m struggling to find coaching videos on youtube on LP chopping. 

Sponsored Links

obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2019 at 8:37pm
Gustaf Erikson (spelling might be off) uses/used the clipper with OX long pips, and he plays a chopping/looping game at a pretty high level. So it's certainly doable! 

Probably not the easiest, but it depends on how you like to play. Are you planning to BH chop mostly now? Or just the occasional chop when called for? If so, you'd probably be better off catering your game to equipment suitable to the FH point winners. 

OX LP chopping with slicker pips won't generate much spin on its own, though it makes chopping any spin (except for perhaps no spin) much easier and forgiving. You can use short strokes that rely on reversal, as opposed to being forced to use full strokes. So again it really just depends on HOW you want to chop. So then... how DO you want to chop!? 
azv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2019 at 8:37pm
Look at Gustaf Ericson, modern defender with a clipper and ox long pips

Edit: obesechoper was faster LOL

Edited by azv - 03/17/2019 at 8:39pm
TSP Swat, V15 Extra, LP
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2019 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by azv azv wrote:

Look at Gustaf Ericson, modern defender with a clipper and ox long pips

Edit: obesechoper was faster LOL

Though he be but fat, he is fast! LOL

** Also, Liu Song might be a good one to watch. Or Jian Li and Sun Jian Fei 

Edited by obesechopper - 03/17/2019 at 8:52pm
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2019 at 3:14pm
Standard "think" is that you need to use sponge with LP for a chopping game. I started out with OX pips and migrated to sponge, but I wish I never had. 
I would recommend staying with your current LP. You know it and know how to use it at the table. It should be fine for chopping. 
In addition to looking for coaching videos of how to chop, I recommend watching match videos with LP-giving you ideas how other players are using them. Also some equipment reviews allow you to look at technique as well. This kid (link below) has a number of them at table tennis experts.

pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2019 at 4:04pm
OX LP is just fine at this level and probably even quite a bit higher (Jian Li manages to do it at 2600+ ). I think OX has advantage at close to the table game, and you are going to spend a lot of time there in my experience.

There are plenty of LP shots you can master, as others pointed out, watching match videos is quite useful, preferably for someone close to your level (pros have different game...)

USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2019 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

OX LP is just fine at this level and probably even quite a bit higher (Jian Li manages to do it at 2600+ ). I think OX has advantage at close to the table game, and you are going to spend a lot of time there in my experience.

There are plenty of LP shots you can master, as others pointed out, watching match videos is quite useful, preferably for someone close to your level (pros have different game...)

On that note, I personally like the OX pips that have a fairly grippy surface. Curl p4, feint long 3, or the like. I find those are easier to use in the pushing game, whereas with the slicker pips I had a tendency to pop up no-spins or low spun balls. If you don't plan on actually blocking at the table with the pips, then I'd suggest the gripper variety.

Those are not great for blocking, but you can control all types of spin better (aside from very heavy top spin close to the table). You can still use low friction OX, just with a different technique. They require you to hit more into the ball and forward if it's low spin, whereas the grippy ones you can pretty much 'chop' back every ball with an angle/stroke path more similar to inverted.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2019 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

On that note, I personally like the OX pips that have a fairly grippy surface. Curl p4, feint long 3, or the like. I find those are easier to use in the pushing game, whereas with the slicker pips I had a tendency to pop up no-spins or low spun balls. If you don't plan on actually blocking at the table with the pips, then I'd suggest the gripper variety.

Those are not great for blocking, but you can control all types of spin better (aside from very heavy top spin close to the table). You can still use low friction OX, just with a different technique. They require you to hit more into the ball and forward if it's low spin, whereas the grippy ones you can pretty much 'chop' back every ball with an angle/stroke path more similar to inverted.

Interesting, I actually dislike grippy LP (full disclosure: never tried them in OX). And yes, technique is different - so perhaps it's up to OP to decide what they like better in the end. As usual Big smile  
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2019 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

Interesting, I actually dislike grippy LP (full disclosure: never tried them in OX). And yes, technique is different - so perhaps it's up to OP to decide what they like better in the end. As usual Big smile  

Yeah, you can learn to handle either of them certainly. I think forehand players don't mind the slicker LPs, since they're mainly just waiting to setup the big kill shot and so their range is usually a bit closer to the table - where the low grip helps in returning . Whereas choppers who really want to chop and win points mainly with that strategy, like the grippier pips since they can do a bit more with them. 

I'm trying to think of a more classic defender I've seen who uses low friction OX LP. Can't name any now... I know of some who use OX but with the high friction pips, and chop all day long. The higher friction pips aren't going to generate a lot of spin by themselves, but it seems to be enough to counter the "just give them dead balls" tactic that attackers spout out. 

So it might be wise to ask yourself - do I plan on waiting to finish with the big forehand, or do I want to win mainly by chopping alone? 
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2019 at 8:27pm
I think that 388 d1 is a relatively grippy pip.

(I am considering on playing a mixed closer to the table game with P-4, but mainly to set up my FH. I think P-4 is sensational at everything).
pacificspice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacificspice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2019 at 9:53pm
Thanks all for suggestions. Dawei 338D-1 ox is the only LP I have tried and I know that I want to be a chopper maybe not close to the table play but from a couple of feet away and I would like to know if the LP I am using is good for such play or is there something which is better for such a style. I am going to create an opportunity to do a surprise FH attack.
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2019 at 6:13am
The 388D-1 OX is a pretty versatile LP - as in, it works well up-close, over-the-table, as well as for chopping, mid-distance from the table... 

After around 6-7 months of considerable usage (and after I stopped cleaning them), I felt theyy were even more effective...even the blocking is good.. My current sheet, has some broken pips now, so I'm planning on getting the 388D-1 with a thin sponge...
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2019 at 9:10am
Originally posted by pacificspice pacificspice wrote:

Thanks all for suggestions. Dawei 338D-1 ox is the only LP I have tried and I know that I want to be a chopper maybe not close to the table play but from a couple of feet away and I would like to know if the LP I am using is good for such play or is there something which is better for such a style. I am going to create an opportunity to do a surprise FH attack.

Why don't you step back a couple of feet and try chopping someone's loops in practice with your current setup? My prediction is that it's perfectly fine to chop 1700-2000 level loops, especially after some practice. 

Also, I could be wrong, but chopping away from the table rarely creates opportunities for surprise FH attacks. 
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2019 at 3:53pm
if you want u can try playing with your clipper, I suggest switching to P1R or grass dtec in 1.0mm sponge and t05 is great forehand choice. If you think its too fast you can go for JSH or Victas Koji or Defence2 blades. I personally like JSH with P1R the most for chopping! modern D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic