Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

W968 / Vis blade review (made by Robin.w)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: W968 / Vis blade review (made by Robin.w)
    Posted: 03/22/2019 at 4:54pm
This is the review of the Robin.w's custom A blade: you can sign up for the free test here.

The blade seems of great build quality. Both the limba outer and the scaly koto outer look great! The FL handle seems very comfortable and the whole blade, with rubbers on, has a very neutral weight balance. The wings are a bit sharp - if this were my own blade, I would sand them a bit for comfort.

I used two benchmark blades for testing this against:
  1. 89g W968 (provincial, wide handle, built in 2018)
  2. 86g ZJK-ALC ST
All were outfitted with the same rubbers (test blade config: slightly boosted H3 on the limba end and Xiom Omega V Europe on the koto end).

TL / DR: I was very happy with the blade and would gladly order one for use (if I did not already have too many blades). It is of fantastic quality and beats all other branded Viscaria clones I've tried (like the Donic Ovtcharov True Carbon or the Tibhar Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon). It is a bit faster than my ZJK-ALC and clearly more bouncy than my W968.

Bounce frequency: 1450 Hz (bouncier than my W968, about the same as an average Viscaria).

Let me embark on the differences. First: I do not know what the core is made out of, but I'd say Kiri. It is built for someone who wants slightly more power than from a Viscaria but with a shade less spin. However, it felt more spinny overall than Donic Ovtcharov True Carbon (whose fiber seems more carbon-based than Butterfly's ALC fiber). If I were using very spinny rubbers, I might prefer this blade to a standard Viscaria, especially given that you can customize it. 

Re: comparison with the W968 - this is a bit difficult as they are two different blades. W968 is slow, 'sticky' but very powerful. It is probably built for a professional who can generate good power from his timing / waist / legs. This custom blade is faster and offers more help to the player. But the good feeling is there (though, less than the W968). Let me put it this way, I'd be indifferent to W968 made by Robin.W to a average DHS Hurricane Long V (though, for my use, I prefer a W968 to this blade). That is a big compliment.

Fantastic job by Robin.W!
Sponsored Links

Robin.w View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin.w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2019 at 12:23am
Thanks for the review.  All praise belongs to the carpenter from a small city thousands miles away!
I wanna explain the way we treated the core ply. We cut the one piece kiri wood into 5,7 or 9 pieces equally and then re-glue them together by different orders.  Most time vertically (like the old tag viscaria) some times horizontally (like the kong ling hui special), it depends what you want.  7 pieces is the most balanced option, bring more feel, a little bit faster. I have a 9 pieces one i like very much but it will be too fast for most player. Maybe the 9 glue lines works too much. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic