FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

XVT Hinoki ALC Carbon, anyone try it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XVT Hinoki ALC Carbon, anyone try it?
    Posted: 06/08/2019 at 5:55am
I had some coupons and refunds stacked up on Aliexpress and I ordered one of these for less than 20 bucks shipped. Anyone have any experience with it? I ordered the ST handle (I could only find pictures of the FL handle online). 

Image result for XVT Hinoki ALC Carbon st handle

Edited by ericd937 - 06/08/2019 at 5:56am
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
Sponsored Links

jujudock76600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujudock76600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2019 at 8:53am
hello,  could you do a review? 
Do you try rossi emotion? 
Charlie Brown View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2019 at 1:47pm
Not that one but the 7ply Hinoki...waiting for 11.11 in a few hours and will be putting DNA pro H 1.9 (coming) on both sides ...doing  without composites this time around.

your blade i would think would be on the "softer" side?-like a Garaydia ALC  what rubber will be on it?

Edited by Charlie Brown - 11/10/2019 at 1:52pm
*sigh*
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2019 at 1:06am
I did get that blade, it sucks! I don't recommend it at all. It has a very annoying high pitched sound and its difficult to make spin with most rubbers. Even thought it's difficult to make spin, it still sucks at hitting too. I don't even know what this blade would be good at. It have a hunch that it might be okay with short pimple, but I never tried it. 

I also have a hunch that the ALC fiber is inferior to that of other blades. It feels nothing like any of the other alc blades I have. I have a custom hinoki alc blade from Siam Ping Pong, same materials, but it feels nothing alike. Also have Timo Boll Spirit (alc with koto outer ply) again, it feels nothing like the xvt hinoki blade. That XVT blade just feels cheap and it has tons of vibration. Don't like it one bit. 

Edited by ericd937 - 11/11/2019 at 1:10am
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2019 at 1:09am
Also, I tried it with H3 (boosted and unboosted), Tenergy 05, Tenergy 80, and Donic Baracuda. Baracuda was the only thing that was even remotely playable. 
WingTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WingTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2019 at 2:33pm
Thanks for the review. I had considered the blade at one point in the past but decided not to risk it. You have to be careful buying stuff on ALiExpress, never know when you are getting seconds or rejects. I got the XVT ALC Wheel, while it plays good now, it was definitely some mis-manufacturing that I had to correct. I think they put a long handle on penhold blade and sold it as shakehand or some crazy CNC screw up like that. Part of the top ply also delaminated from the ALC after a while so you get what you pay for.

Edited by WingTT - 11/14/2019 at 2:34pm
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 1:00pm
How do you like the wheel?
WingTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WingTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 1:38pm
I like the XVT ALC Wheel after reshaping the wings and the slope of the thumbrest and epoxying back the part of the top veneer that delaminated. Feels even better than the Viscarias I've borrowed and tried. I would not recommend it for anyone else but also a moot point since they don't sell them any more the last time I checked. It was real cheap and I realised I had tuned the blades flexibility to my liking by reshaping the wings.
alas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 6:20pm
how significant does the flexibility feel of the blade become with some wing sanding? How much did you take off?  Can you elaborate a bit more?
-Eric
Nittaku Acoustic (Ch.Pen)
DHS Skyline TG-2 NEO
DHS Skyline 3-60
WingTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WingTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 7:00pm
It wasn't just some wing sanding. It was wing carving because the wing was so wide and had too much support for the handle and was not the normal shape like most shakehand blades. So I carved it until it was more normal albeit not perfectly and it definitely made a difference. You could feel it flexing the blade very slightly by pushing the top edge hardish. Like I said, I think the blade was like a penhold blade that had a long handle they sold as shakehand.

If you have a cheap chinese blade that was too stiff you would not mind sacrificing, compare it's flex with other blades and carve away.
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2019 at 6:24am
I like the sanding idea. I also have a wheel, whopping 103 grams and too stiff and bouncy for me.

So sanding the wings will make it less stiff and perhaps increase throw? How about bounciness and top speed?
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2019 at 6:49am
Any opinions on XVT ALC Dragon? A bought a Black Knight and  Balsa Hinoki Carbon and both play and feel just great. So I thought if the ALC is of the same quality I can give it a try,  just to feed the EJ in me
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2019 at 6:52am
What bothers me is the fact that they have a blue and a red Dragon. Any info about the difference?

Edited by Kolev - 11/16/2019 at 6:53am
WingTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WingTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2019 at 8:22am
I think a conclusion we can make is for such low prices, you are going to have to contend with variability in the quality and characteristics of the blades. The Wheels I've had/have(sold one and trying to buy it back) were in the low 80 grams or less. A far cry from the 103 gram one that Hozuki has. That is so extreme it might be hard to rehabilitate. I think it would be a smart thing to request for a target weight range whenever possible when ordering blades. The wing modification did not seem to affect bounciness and top speed negatively in my case.

@ericd937, what was the weight of the blade? That could affect how it plays.

Edited by WingTT - 11/16/2019 at 8:26am
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2019 at 11:39am
Certainly it feels a bit like a slot machine lol.
My heavy wheel is too bouncy for service receive and overall too fast for consistency. I will try sanding it. Let's see what happens.
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2019 at 11:59pm
Hi,

I've been playing with the XVT Balsa Hinok Carbon, for over a year now, and own the XVT Black Knight 7 (yet to be assembled).

The XVT Balsa Hinoki Carbon along with 729 Focus 3 Snipe 40° - 42° and Dawei 388D-1 OX.  - Firstly, this blade is super-light. The one I have, weight just 62gms. Also, I feel, this blade is meant to be played with a Long-pips on one side. I tried it with inverted on both sides, and it was a disaster ... Super fun blade to play with... Nice build quality, considering the price .. It 10mm thick, but I never found it to be unwieldy ...Found it a bit difficult to control, initially. It's quite fast (for me, atleast) ... Excellent, at flat-hits, and blocking (inverted side, as well as LP) ... While blocking super-fast top-spins form the LP side, the blade needs to be closed, and the grip on the handle needs to be a bit loose.. With the bit of technique adjustment, I can even loop with this blade, although the loops are not as spinny... They have decent pace... I feel, rubbers on the harder side, pair well with this blade.

As for the XVT Black Knight 7 .. I've not yet played with it. I can say that the build quality, seems decent (Considering, that I paid less than $7) ... I ordered a ST handle, which I feel is tad short, than I'd like for it to be.. 

Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2019 at 6:51pm
The Black Knight I have is an impeccably built Off- medium  hard carbon blade .Can't go wrong with it for such a price
fieldingy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fieldingy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2019 at 3:15am
I just tried out the Hinoki ALC Carbon tonight.  It's not bad at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic