Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any review for Mizuno Q5?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any review for Mizuno Q5?
    Posted: 07/20/2019 at 6:43am
Any review for Mizuno Q5?

Looking for:
Topsheet grip
Sponge hardness
Speed
Weight

Sponsored Links

Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2019 at 8:21am
A friend of mine has one on a XVT Hinoki Carbon blade. On the other side there is an MXP Hard so I can compare them directly.  The Q5 is a good rubber and it is a pity it is rather expensive.

In terms of hardness they are similar, the difference is in how the topsheet bites the ball and the trajectory loops follow when looping. The Q5's topsheet feels more tense and starts lifting the ball a bit earlier / holds the ball for a little less time. The difference in feel is difficult to describe, one possible wording that comes to my mind is that the Q5 behaves a tad more Chinese compared to the MXP while both are perfectly Euro.  The Q5 produces a low agressive trajectory (maybe a bit lower than MXP Hard) but after some getting used to it is very safe, perhaps safer than the MXPH.

Another subtle difference is that with the Q5 it is better to contact the ball on the level of the table and not let it sink below. It suits a close to the table style (up to two meters away) . Beyond two meters the low trajectory starts taking its toll.

My friend uses the Q5 on his FH and the MPXH on the BH side.

I am meeting my friend on Monday so if you want more recent impressions, let me know.
Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2019 at 11:02am
I'm using it at the moment:

The sponge hardness is listed as 47°. I measured mine with a Shore O durometer and got an average reading of 47° for the a red sheet and 48° for a black one.
The uncut weights were 68 and 67g.
I haven't tried both on the same blade, but I would estimate that it is very slightly faster than MXP.

I agree with Hans Regenhurt that it behaves a bit differently to other rubbers, I feel biting/low trajectory behavior he describes is most noticeable when driving the ball and much less so when looping and I haven't had any issues with lifting the ball if it sinks below the table.

It is very hard wearing in terms of the topsheet not really showing any signs of wear, but it does chip fairly easily and the red sheet is showing a slight discolouration where my thumb rests on it.

It takes a bit of getting used to and is quite expensive, but I'm glad I persevered with it.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2019 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Hans Regenkurt Hans Regenkurt wrote:

A friend of mine has one on a XVT Hinoki Carbon blade. On the other side there is an MXP Hard so I can compare them directly.  The Q5 is a good rubber and it is a pity it is rather expensive.

In terms of hardness they are similar, the difference is in how the topsheet bites the ball and the trajectory loops follow when looping. The Q5's topsheet feels more tense and starts lifting the ball a bit earlier / holds the ball for a little less time. The difference in feel is difficult to describe, one possible wording that comes to my mind is that the Q5 behaves a tad more Chinese compared to the MXP while both are perfectly Euro.  The Q5 produces a low agressive trajectory (maybe a bit lower than MXP Hard) but after some getting used to it is very safe, perhaps safer than the MXPH.

Another subtle difference is that with the Q5 it is better to contact the ball on the level of the table and not let it sink below. It suits a close to the table style (up to two meters away) . Beyond two meters the low trajectory starts taking its toll.

My friend uses the Q5 on his FH and the MPXH on the BH side.

I am meeting my friend on Monday so if you want more recent impressions, let me know.
What is the weight of the rubber cut to BTY head size? Is it as hard as MXP 50? Can you compare the topsheet grip to Tenergy?

Edited by ashishsharmaait - 07/20/2019 at 12:25pm
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2019 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Sedis Sedis wrote:

I agree with Hans Regenhurt that it behaves a bit differently to other rubbers, I feel biting/low trajectory behavior he describes is most noticeable when driving the ball and much less so when looping and I haven't had any issues with lifting the ball if it sinks below the table.

Yes exactly, I've found the loops are somewhat high throw but that its drives are easier to keep low than most other rubbers of a similar looping throw angle.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2019 at 12:30am

How is the surface grip compared to Tenergy? How is the durability?
Many thanks
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2019 at 2:03am
As for the durability, I cannot tell you because my friend has not been playing much for the past three months, only 10 hours a month. During this time he has not removed the rubber and all I can say that it still plays very well so at least it preserves its qualities when on a blade. I cannot compare the grip to Tenergy, nobody around me buys it any more and the total time I had one in my hand is 15 seconds for the past three years. It grips the ball a bit better compared to ESN stuff.
alexuganski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexuganski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2019 at 10:09am
Can anyone give a brief comparison between Q3, Q4, and Q5? Speed, spin, throw, hardness?

I haven't found a simple synopsis online yet.
Harimoto Innerforce ALC
FH: Dr Neubauer Killer Extreme 2.2
BH: Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1

Embrace the Dark Side.
Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2019 at 10:26am

Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

At long last, Q5 was announced a few weeks ago and will be available starting this May. It comes with a new sponge called "Accel Arc Sponge." The price is also higher, ¥6800 as opposed to ¥6300 for Q3 and Q4.

In a nutshell:
Q3 = T64
Q4 = T05
Q5 = T80

Q3 and Q4 have the same sponge but a different pip structure with Q3 being optimised for speed and Q4 for spin.

Q5 is between the two, but also has a different (faster?) sponge

Edited by Sedis - 07/29/2019 at 10:59am
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2019 at 5:15pm

Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

At long last, Q5 was announced a few weeks ago and will be available starting this May. It comes with a new sponge called "Accel Arc Sponge." The price is also higher, ¥6800 as opposed to ¥6300 for Q3 and Q4.

In a nutshell:
Q3 = T64
Q4 = T05
Q5 = T80

Q3 and Q4 have the same sponge but a different pip structure with Q3 being optimised for speed and Q4 for spin.

Q5 is between the two, but also has a different (faster?) sponge

Just like I responded in that thread, that post isn't a good one.

I think calling Q5 an equivalent to Tenergy 80 might be inaccurate. From what I have heard it combines all of the spin of Q4 with all of the speed (maybe even more) of Q3.

Tenergy 80 has less spin than 05 and less speed than 64. So it's not really a 1 to 1 comparison.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2019 at 8:49am
Can someone compare the overall hardness, grip and speed with Tenergy 64 or 05?
Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2019 at 11:43am
Originally posted by ashishsharmaait ashishsharmaait wrote:

Can someone compare the overall hardness, grip and speed with Tenergy 64 or 05?

Sorry, I've never used Tenergy 64 and although I've tried other people's T05 many times, only for a few minutes on each occasion. Although the overall hardness, grip and speed are in probably quite similar, it plays quite differently. I can certainly get more spin with it that any other Euro/Jap style rubber, but it has a smaller margin for error and a lower throw, particularly when driving, rather than looping.

From the very brief hit I've had with it, I would say it is actually has more in common with Dignics, although still quite different.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2019 at 1:06pm
A friend of mine was the victim of quality variation that seems to impact these rubbers too. He bough a black one in Hungary during the WC. There was only one line of writing on the sponge in black ink. He later purchased a pair because he liked it. Both sheets had one line of black writing and one in white. These two played nothing like the sheet he bought at  the WC in Hungary.
Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2019 at 5:57am

A friend of mine was the victim of quality variation that seems to impact these rubbers too. He bough a black one in Hungary during the WC. There was only one line of writing on the sponge in black ink. He later purchased a pair because he liked it. Both sheets had one line of black writing and one in white. These two played nothing like the sheet he bought at  the WC in Hungary.

Mine have just had black writing on the sponge and I have not noticed any difference in how they play.

Do you know where the ones with the writing in both black and white were purchased from?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2019 at 7:19am

Mine have just had black writing on the sponge and I have not noticed any difference in how they play.

Do you know where the ones with the writing in both black and white were purchased from?

He bought it from someone who places mass orders on his behalf and his friends from TT11. So most probably it came from TT11.

Where did you buy yours?
Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2019 at 7:26am
First ones from TT11, then another sheet from TT-Japan.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2019 at 7:54am
How much does Q5 weigh cut to standard BTY head 150*157?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2019 at 7:32am
Originally posted by ashishsharmaait ashishsharmaait wrote:

How much does Q5 weigh cut to standard BTY head 150*157?
Bump
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic