FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

SDC Handmade Blades

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 27>
Author
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SDC Handmade Blades
    Posted: 01/29/2024 at 1:29am
Originally posted by Hipnotic Hipnotic wrote:

I usually refrain from putting heavy blades for sale here, there is general limit and most people consider anything above 90g too heavy. 
I just bought sheets of Fastarc S1 in 1.8mm (3=1 at tt11) to slap on my 99g 1900+hz 11-ply blade (the one in my avatar) and the total weight including handle wrap and edge tape is a very balanced 186 grams (40g per cut sheet including glue), my ideal weight. I did not try it yet. I discarded the risk of a mushy setup since I will insist on hitting and smashing v. spinning and I have seen strong 2100 players using very fast blades with Desto F3 Big Slam: their game was mostly about rallying and putting the ball away at the 1st opportunity with a big "pop" speed glue style so my hopes are high, it's what I always liked to do anyway.
Sponsored Links

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2023 at 3:24am
I usually refrain from putting heavy blades for sale here, there is general limit and most people consider anything above 90g too heavy. Well, that's because they only look at the weight of the blade, and not that little last piece of information I give which is the balance. Most commercial blades nowadays use fineline for their handles, and this is a relatively light material, so it just doesn't have the mass to counter act the weight of the head, resulting in head heavy blades. Because this material is also consistent in weight, generally speaking a heavier blade will also be more head heavy, the weight difference is on the composition itself, and not the handle. This blade could easily have 85g if I used a much lighter handle material, but in this case I chose to use Pau Ferro, which literally translates to Iron Stick. It's a very heavy wood, but the feeling in the hand is nothing like holding a regular blade, it feels like you are holding an expensive piece of furniture. For the composition I'm using Burma Teak, which feels like an harder Limba, and in general the blade feels like a step up from a Primorac for example.

Available FS.

- B. Teak / B. Teak / WRC / B. Teak / B. teak
- 99.0g
- 5.75mm
- 158x152mm
- FL (100x25-23mm)
- 1248Hz
- Balance: 1.8cm (Very Low)

SDC Handmade Blades / www.sdcttblades.com / Insta - @sdc_tt_blades / Facebook - @SDCblades
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2023 at 3:20am
At the moment I ran out of Basswood, but it can be done. I once built something similar but using Hinoki and Basswood:

SDC Handmade Blades / www.sdcttblades.com / Insta - @sdc_tt_blades / Facebook - @SDCblades
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2023 at 4:56am

Originally posted by ashishsharmaait ashishsharmaait wrote:

@Hipnotic, I do not see it in the FS section of the website :(

Because it was already sold, sorry.

Can you build something like dhs 08 old style blade?
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2023 at 1:59am
This was supposed to be a custom order, my dumb self still believes in the honesty of people, but sometimes it doesn't turn out that way. But no harm done, just used an handle design of my choice and here it is. Originally I was asked for a very soft feeling, so despite having ZLC on the Bh side and being a little more direct on that wing, it's still softer than usual. Speed-wise I would probably classify it in the bottom OFF range. The engraving on the Bh side might resemble something, I'm not sure what 😅.

Available FS.

- Koto / ALC / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / ZLC / Koto
- 85.8g
- 5.9mm
- 157x150mm
- FL (100x25.0-22.5mm)
- 1380Hz
- Balance: 2.8cm (Low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2023 at 2:01am
Recently I got my hands on this beautiful "fish scale" Koto and this is the first time using it. This pattern happens when wood is cut at a certain angle and it exposes the medullary rays, which are perpendicular to the growth rigs. Not all wood species have them, and they can be hard to find even within the same species. In terms of performance it's exactly the same, so it's mostly a visual change. This particular Koto is slightly softer than the one I normally use, but that has to do mostly with the tree it was cut from, rather then the "fish scale". In terms of composition it's a relatively thin 7 ply, with progressively harder layer towards the core, so we have a Kiri core instead of the usual Ayous. This gives a crisper initial feel on low impact, but a bigger holding sensation on harder shots. A little steeper price than usual because this is going to be a unique piece (in terms of handle). I usually make this design with Padauk, it works well because the endgrain must be pointing up to achieve that particular look, and not all woods are appropriate for this. I decided to try Black Walnut for this one, and I regretted the decision almost immediately, it was a pain in the a** to get it right, so you won't be catching me doing it again 😅.

Available FS.

- Koto / Framiré / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / Framiré / Koto
- 88.4g
- 6.35mm
- 157x150mm
- ST (100x27x23.5mm)
- 1205Hz
- Balance: 3.2cm (Med)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2023 at 2:08am
A slow outer fiber blade, direct Koto feeling and tamed vibrations but on a lower speed class than usual.

Available FS.

- Koto / Innegra / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / Innegra / Koto
- 87.4g
- 6.0mm
- 157x150mm
- AN (100x24.0mm)
- 1120Hz
- Balance: 2.8cm (Low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2023 at 2:24am
I've tried this HL5 style composition with almost every type of AC weave in my arsenal, AC-I was the only one left. Compared to regular AC-# it feels slightly stiffer, slightly softer, a little more Bh oriented.

Available FS.

- Limba / Ayous / AC-I / Ayous / AC-I / Ayous / Limba
- 88.8g
- 5.95mm
- 157x150mm
- FL (100x25-23mm)
- 1290Hz

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2023 at 2:01am
For my 900th blade I just wanted to make something simple and classic looking. I had some Hinoki cores for a while, but never used them, so I decided to do it for this one. It's a stiff blade as the frequency reading suggests, but not that fast, although it has the characteristic springy nature of Hinoki.

Available FS.

- Hinoki / Glassfiber / Hinoki / Glassfiber / Hinoki
- 90.4g
- 6.75mm
- 155x148mm
- FLSQ (100x22.5mm)
- 1507Hz
- Balance: 3.7cm (High)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2023 at 1:44am
"Wow, that's a thick carbon layer!"

At first it looks like it, but it's just a black wooden layer. #885 is a relatively slow 7 ply blade, it has a thin transverse spruce core that gives some kick on harder strokes, and medium thick Spruce outer layers for that softness and spin ability. It has a mild springy feel and it should pair well with medium soft rubbers for a spin-control based game.

Available FS.

- Spruce / Ayous / Poplar / Spruce / Poplar / Ayous / Spruce
- 85.2g
- 6.2mm
- 158x152mm
- FL (102x25-23mm)
- 1120Hz

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2023 at 2:19am
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

@Hipnotic:

I read the specs of your Waldner Senso Carbon and the thickness is 6.4 mm?

The real WSC is about 5.6 - 5.7 mm, so 6.4 mm is way too thick, I guess.

I think the ideal WSC will be around 5.8 to 6.0 mm at max. (if the goal is to retain similar feel and characteristics while making it suitable for 40+ plastic ball)

Maybe I didn't explain myself well, but the goal was not to retain the original feeling, it was just to see how Limba would do in this composition and push it as far as possible (while still having a playable blade). And how Stiltt already explained, since Limba is fairly softer than Anigre, it allowed me to push it a bit further.

But still, I'm not sure if I agree with you, I've had a few in my hands and they vary quite a bit, my first one was 5.9mm, the last one I measured was 5.5mm. The frequency range was from 1100 to about 1250Hz. The core is roughly 3.8mm, and I didn't mess with that, but if you want a real, palpable increase in speed, having a thickness of 5.8-6.0 would barely make a dent, especially with the softer Limba medial. I would say that 6.2mm would be the minimum to have a clear difference, there will always be compromises, you gain something you lose something, but if we're just looking to keep the same exact feeling and characteristics, then don't change anything...
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2023 at 11:59am
Of course, increasing overall thickness will evolve the blade but changing the medial ply from anigre to limba may have limited how much the added thickness changes the feel of this blade from the original's. 

Even if the density of anigre is close to that of limba, I see the Janka hardness is the one factor that varies by a bunch and my question to Hipnotic is: does the fact the Anigre Janka hardness is almost 50% higher makes the added limba thickness on the medial and outer plies tame the additional kick (if any)?

Also the type of carbon used also may also tame that added thickness.

Just saying that if the goal is to stay as close to the original WSC as possible, as an honest ping pong DJ he has a lot of sliders to move left and right (alos up and down) to compensate the added thickness.

Edited by stiltt - 11/24/2023 at 8:09am
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2023 at 5:07am
@Hipnotic:

I read the specs of your Waldner Senso Carbon and the thickness is 6.4 mm?

The real WSC is about 5.6 - 5.7 mm, so 6.4 mm is way too thick, I guess.

I think the ideal WSC will be around 5.8 to 6.0 mm at max. (if the goal is to retain similar feel and characteristics while making it suitable for 40+ plastic ball)

Edited by doraemon - 11/23/2023 at 5:07am
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2023 at 2:10am
Someone suggested that I recreated the Waldner Senso Carbon but using Limba in the medial layer instead of Anigre, and I thought, Why not? The thing is, the WSC as a paper thin Limba outer layer, and a thin medial too, the thickness of the outer layers, plus carbon layer is only 1mm! So I decided to increase it, while keeping the core at the same thickness. It was a challenge keeping this at a reasonable weight, the composition is not as light as it sounds, and the WSC original handle is very light, but the result was good. The increase in speed is great, from a ALL+/OFF- blade to bottom OFF range, keeping most of the original feeling. JO shaped head of course...

Available FS.

- Limba / Limba / Soft-Carbon / Ayous / Soft-Carbon / Limba / Limba
- 91.0g
- 6.4mm
- 159x149mm
- FL (100x25.0mm)
- 1380Hz
- Balance: 4.1cm (High)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2023 at 7:15am
A very thick, stiff and light Balsa core blade with a compact head size and Hinoki outer layers. The main characteristic of this blade is that it doesn't feel as bouncy as expected from this type of construction. Instead, due to the 3 carbon layers, it gets progressively faster with harder shots, and despite not being a speed monster, it provides a better balance between passive/active shots, than some Balsa blades out there.

Available FS.

- Hinoki / Soft-Carbon / Balsa / Soft-Carbon / Balsa / Soft-Carbon / Hinoki
- 76.4g
- 8.25mm
- 154x148mm
- FL (101x25mm)
- 1765Hz
- Balance: 1.8cm (Very Low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2023 at 3:21am
The Persson Power Play is another popular blade, but still considered a bit slow for the new ball. This is an interpretation of that composition, but with a small change in the orientation of the plies and swapping the "foil" layer for a very thin unidirectional carbon, in order to make it faster.

Available FS.

- Koto / Uni-C / Ayous / Ayous / Ayous / Uni-C / Koto
- 91.0g
- 5.9mm
- 155x150mm
- FL (103x25.0mm)
- 1356Hz
- Balance: 3.5cm (Med)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2023 at 3:34am
I often get asked about the fastest blade possible, but not so much about the slowest one. Well, I decided to build it anyway... This is the slowest (still playable) blade I've ever built. Honestly, I don't even know how this will perform, there is almost no bounce! But if you do get the ball to cross to the other side of the table, you will surely annoy the hell out of your opponent 😅.

Available FS.

- Ayous / Balsa / Balsa / Balsa / Ayous
- 56.0g
- 5.2mm
- 161x155mm
- ST(102x28.0x23.0mm)
- 840Hz
- Balance: 2.4cm (Low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2023 at 3:28am
Nothing new here, just a really fast blade...

Available FS.

- Hinoki / A-C / Kiri / A-C / Hinoki
- 89.6g
- 7.6mm
- 157x150mm
- STSQ (102x28.0x22.5mm)
- 1916Hz
- Balance: 3.3cm (Med)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2023 at 4:01am
Keeping with the inner fiber concept for maximum feeling and touch, I tried to make this one even faster than the previous blade I posted. That can easily be done by thickening the core, the problem is that the composition was already on the heavy side, so I switched from Ayous to Kiri which is lighter. That allowed me to use a thicker core while having a lower weight. I must say that this blade is one of my recent favorites, it has an exceptional feel, with "outer fiber" type speed.

Available FS.

- Limba / Ayous / S-AxC / Kiri / S-AxC / Ayous / Limba
- 89.0g
- 6.4mm
- 158x152mm
- ST(102x28.0x23.0mm)
- 1421Hz

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2023 at 4:18am
Originally posted by Reaper Reaper wrote:

Awesome handle, is it inspired by Eddie Van Halen?

I see the resemblance, but not really. I just cut here, glue there, and see where it leads me 🙂
Reaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2023 at 3:50pm

Awesome handle, is it inspired by Eddie Van Halen?

Edited by Reaper - 10/12/2023 at 3:50pm
Neottec Magic Control -CN : Nexy Karis M / 61second Kangaroo
Revoldia clone -ST: Hurricane 9 green / 61second Eagle
Donier Defensive -ST: Sword Long Can / 61second Eagle

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2023 at 2:49am
This blade has a very similar composition to the one I've just posted, the biggest difference is the use of S-AxC instead of AxC. It's a bit faster, springier, but still very soft in the realm of composite blades.

Available FS.

- Limba / Ayous / S-AxC / Ayous / S-AxC / Ayous / Limba
- 90.5g
- 5.9mm
- 158x152mm
- ST(102x28.0x23.0mm)
- 1380Hz
- Balance: 3.4cm (Med)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2023 at 3:09am
The so called "super" fibers are theoretically faster, but why don't we see them being more used on inner fiber compositions, for the blades that are on the market? The answer is simple, because it doesn't necessarily makes the blade faster. Here I'm not using a "super" fiber, it's just my regular AxC, but the principle is the same: the weave type is vertical carbon, which gives more stiffness, and horizontal aramid, which gives more softness. The rest of the composition is similar to a HL5, with a regular 3mm core, a thick medial and a thin outer layer. The thing is, the stiffness of the blade is dictated by the relative distance of its layers, and on inner fiber blades the composite layers are close together (roughly 3mm). This means that the extra stiffness provided by these layers isn't being truly utilized, only when you put them further away from each other, with to extra layers in between, you are able to magnify this characteristic. So here, what you end up having is a slightly stiffer blade, but softer than if you had used a fabric of the same density but with a 2:2 weave type (carbon and aramid in both directions). In terms of performance what does this mean? Usually you can feel an extra "kick" when you hit hard with those blades, here you you will get more of a "holding" sensation. Basically it behaves similarly to outer fiber blades, but at lower speeds.

Available FS.

- Framiré / Ayous / AxC / Ayous / AxC / Ayous / Framiré
- 90.1g
- 6.0mm
- 158x152mm
- ST(102x28.0x23.0mm)
- 1335Hz
- Balance: 3.0cm (Med)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2023 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Fmonte Fmonte wrote:

Hi! How did you do to paint that second handle?

The handles are not painted 🙂
Fmonte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fmonte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2023 at 12:32pm
Hi! How did you do to paint that second handle?
Fmonte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fmonte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2023 at 12:31pm
Hi! How did you do to paint that handle?
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2023 at 3:39am
Making the springy, springier! This is a HL5 structure, but with Fir instead of Ayous in the medial layer. Fir being slightly harder than Ayous, you get a crisper feel and a bit more speed, which makes it more suitable for Bh compared to the original composition. Of course that "directness" will also manifest on the Fh.

The handle flares out a bit, but it basically feels like a normal straight handle in the hand.

Available FS.

- Limba / Fir / A-C / Ayous / A-C / Fir / Limba
- 91.0g
- 6.0mm
- 160x150mm
- ST/FL (103x23.0mm)
- 1335Hz
- Balance: 3.1cm (Med)

YoAss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoAss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2023 at 5:44am
LOL "Cyberthingy" 💯
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2023 at 3:14am
I wanted to pay tribute to the 2023 European Champions, and decided to do so with a blade that combines the weapons of choice of two Swedish players: former glory Waldner, and the new generation Truls. Waldner is best known for using the Waldner Senso Carbon in the last stages of his career, and Truls currently uses the Cybershape, so this blade combines certain properties of both. The WSC is a very popular blade, but a bit slow for the current game and I've had many requests to upgrade that composition to handle the polyball a bit better. However, it's not easy making a blade faster without changing its characteristic feel, which would certainly happen if we used anything other than soft-carbon (believe me, I've tried 😅). So I'm introducing a new fiber, the "Super - soft carbon", super not in the sense that's it's very soft, but a higher density version of soft-carbon, like what happens with other fibers. It's actually a bit harder, but not as much as a plain carbon, and it's obviously heavier making it harder to pair with an Ayous core, used in the original composition. So I decided to use Kiri for this one, which is lighter than Ayous and also used in the Cybershape. In the end this blade feels something between a toned down Cybershape and a faster WSC.

Available FS.

- Limba / Meranti / Super - soft carbon / Kiri / Super - soft carbon / Meranti / Limba
- 84.8g
- 5.9mm
- ST (102x28.5x23.0mm)
- 1356Hz
- Balance: 3.5cm (Med)

vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2023 at 9:20am
love the name on the handle!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 27>
  Share Topic