FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

SDC Handmade Blades

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 27>
Author
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2020 at 6:53pm
Another asymmetric blade for a pips out player, this one is a beast!

Composition: Koto / Ayous / Aramid-Carbon (S) / Ayous / Aramid-Carbon / Spruce / Ash
Weight: 95.2g
Thickness: ~5.7mm
Freq.: 1313/1356 Hz
Balance: 2.5cm (Low)

SDC Handmade Blades / www.sdcttblades.com / Insta - @sdc_tt_blades / Facebook - @SDCblades
Sponsored Links

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2020 at 4:47am
Someone once gave me an idea to build a Viscaria type blade with the JO Shape. I never got to do it but shortly after I got a request to make exactly that!

Composition: Koto / A-C / Ayous / Kiri/ Ayous / A-C / Koto
Weight: 88.2 and 88.3g
Thickness: 5.8mm
Freq.: 1460Hz
Balance: 2.3cm (Low)

SDC Handmade Blades / www.sdcttblades.com / Insta - @sdc_tt_blades / Facebook - @SDCblades
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2020 at 8:23pm
Your blades are CRIIMINAL and you just posted self-incriminating evidence... :)
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2020 at 12:30am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Your blades are CRIIMINAL and you just posted self-incriminating evidence... :)
Der Echte, you know what’s really criminal? Having a new beautiful SDC blade lying here and not being able to test due to bloody COVID!
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2020 at 6:53pm
A commissioned "Violin" with a bigger head size. Does this mean it's a Viola? LOL

Composition: Ash / Ash / Kiri / Ash / Ash
Weight: 83.1
Thickness: ~5.35mm
Head size: 158x152mm
Freq.: 1185 Hz
Balance: 3.4 cm (Med)

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2020 at 8:06pm
So beautiful!

I think Nittaku has named theirs the Violoncello. It is sold as a defensive blade but it is more ALL+/OFF-, they target a style of play with something faster than what the average defender prefers. The flex of the Violoncello is awesome and its catapult produces a very pronounced arc.

Is that description on par with the blade above?

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2020 at 3:48am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

So beautiful!

I think Nittaku has named theirs the Violoncello. It is sold as a defensive blade but it is more ALL+/OFF-, they target a style of play with something faster than what the average defender prefers. The flex of the Violoncello is awesome and its catapult produces a very pronounced arc.

Is that description on par with the blade above?

The Violoncello has a much larger head size than this, so theoretically this one should be closer to the Violin. But I will leave it to the owner to make a review Smile
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2020 at 3:43am
Making clone blades is really hard. Composition is not the only thing that matters in a blade, there are many other variables that play a part in the performance. That's why you can see so many commercial blades that, despite having the same composition, will play and feel different. By playing with these variables in the construction phase I can achieve different results. For example, if you want a Viscaria type blade but harder and faster, here it is.

Composition: Koto / A-C / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / A-C / Koto
Weight: 88.0g
Thickness: 5.75mm
Freq.: 1550 Hz
Balance: 2.1cm (Very Low)

t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2020 at 4:04am
the speed of this monster is around mizutani zlc :)
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2020 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by t64t64t64 t64t64t64 wrote:

the speed of this monster is around mizutani zlc :)

You can't judge by the frequency reading alone but in this case you are right, it's very fast.
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2020 at 4:16am
Made this one a while ago just because I wanted to make a 7ply with a kiri core and also test a 7 ply composition with a big core and thinner outer layer. Feels a bit more elastic than the typical 7ply blade with thick medial layers and not so hard. Speed is probably in the upper Off- range.

Composition: Etimoe / Limba / Black Walnut / Kiri / Black Walnut / Limba / Etimoe
Weight: 86.1g
Thickness: 6.2mm
Freq.: 1250Hz
Balance: 3.2cm (Med)

SoCalJL View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoCalJL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2020 at 5:17pm
Wow! Incredible looking blades with astounding workmanship-Bravo! I used to work for a guitar maker 20 years ago in Canada and am wishing I had not given my AAAA old growth Sitka spruce and western red cedar 4mm top plates away to a fellow luthier a few years ago. I wasn’t doing any luthiery work and it never occurred to me that you could use them for table tennis blades. I only recently started playing table tennis again after a 35 year hiatus. What type of dye are you using to get the brilliant colors in your flag handle inlays? Are you laminating your blanks by hand or using a vacuum table? Thanks,

James
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2020 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by SoCalJL SoCalJL wrote:

Wow! Incredible looking blades with astounding workmanship-Bravo! I used to work for a guitar maker 20 years ago in Canada and am wishing I had not given my AAAA old growth Sitka spruce and western red cedar 4mm top plates away to a fellow luthier a few years ago. I wasn’t doing any luthiery work and it never occurred to me that you could use them for table tennis blades. I only recently started playing table tennis again after a 35 year hiatus. What type of dye are you using to get the brilliant colors in your flag handle inlays? Are you laminating your blanks by hand or using a vacuum table? Thanks,

James

Thank you so much for the compliment. I actually buy my spruce and wrc cores from a lutherie shop because of the better quality Smile

It's funny, many people think that those handles are dyed/painted, but that's not the case! No dye or paint is used in those handles. The only dyed handles I make are the fading colored ones, those are dyed and sealed to protect the color. I laminate my blanks by hand. 
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2020 at 4:03am
Unfortunately I don't have Hinoki thick enough to make 1 ply blades but I have a really nice Cypress for 3 ply blades. So I made this one with Kiso Hinoki outer and Cypress core. Nice soft feeling with good control, high throw blade, speed is probably in the All+/Off- range.

Composition: Kiso Hinoki / Glass-fiber / Cypress / Glass-fiber / Kiso Hinoki
Weight: 90g
Thickness: 6.4mm
Freq.: 1120 Hz
Balance: 3.0cm (Med)

Haohangong View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haohangong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2020 at 3:49pm
Looks pretty. Does this racket for sale? How much is it?
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2020 at 5:17am
I have mixed feelings about Padauk, it releases a very fine red dust that gets everywhere, but sure is pretty to look at Cool

Composition: Limba / Ayous / A-C / Ayous / A-C / Ayous / Limba
Weight: 92.3g
Thickness: 5.7mm
Freq.: 1250 Hz
Balance: 2.7cm (Low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2020 at 6:25pm
Another one of my experiments, trying to achieve that holy grail blade, the love child of W968 and Viscaria. Inner/outer combination blade that emphasizes a soft FH and a direct BH.

Composition: Limba / Ayous / I-C / Kiri / Ayous / A-C / Anigre
Weight: 92.2g
Thickness: 6.0mm
Freq.: 1335Hz
Balance: 1.7cm (Very low)

murrayblhrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murrayblhrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2020 at 9:39am
What wood is the handle?
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2020 at 3:38pm
The wood comes from the roots of a very rare 1000 year old Japanese cherry tree, with flowers that bloom only once every 400 years in the first full moon of spring.

Just kidding, it's Olive wood Smile
PongGod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PongGod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2020 at 12:07am
I'm a bit late getting around to this, but it's time for me to give a testimonial on SDC blades.

I've been using a custom Kevlar blade that was made back in the 90s that I like better than anything I've ever used. Aside from the great feeling and playability of it, what's really special about it is the handle. It was made using the ORIGINAL prototype of the ASTI Carboflex Lillieroos model that was introduced in the 90s and has long ceased production.

Being a one-of-a-kind blade, I figured I'd better see if I could get a decent replica made because if I were to end up breaking it or losing it, I'd have no chance of getting a decent replacement. My initial search led me to a custom blade maker here in the US and I shipped my blade to him to try to replicate. Long story short, it just didn't work out and I resumed my quest to find someone else who was willing to try. Here on this forum I discovered SDC Blades.

Now Sergio (of SDC) is in Portugal so shipping my blade to him was not a practical option. So relying solely on photographs from various angles and specific measurements he asked me for, he felt that he had everything he needed to proceed. We communicated via email frequently throughout this process and I quickly became confident that he was up to the task. Since I was not certain of the particular woods that were used to make mine (aside from the single ply of Kevlar), I asked him to make two different variations in hopes that at least one of them would end up with similar playing characteristics to mine.

Upon completion he sent me photos of the finished products and it looked like the handles were very, very close to that of mine. But how would they feel and play? I'd have to wait about nine more days to get them in my hands to see for myself.

When I received them, I extremely impressed with the end result. The craftsmanship and attention to detail was just exceptional. And then I put some rubber on each of them to put the to the test and was pleasantly surprised to find that both of them played so similarly to my own that I know I could use them interchangeably without any concerns. And on top of this, his price was extremely reasonable. Including currency conversion and shipping fees, the final bill was just a bit over $200. I couldn't be happier with the end result.

So if you're considering having a custom blade built, SDC should be on your short list. Sergio is a master at his craft and goes the extra mile to make sure his customers get exactly what they want.
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2020 at 7:55am
Thank you for your words Robert, this was one of the most difficult challenges I had so far, but also one of the most fulfilling given the successful outcome.

Just want to add a bit of information to Robert's post. When he came to me he had almost no information on the blade composition other than the obvious central Kevlar layer. So I had to rely on photos to guess the composition. To make matters worse, the blade is over 20 years old and fairly used so the wood layers were not clearly visible. Apparently it looked like a 4+1 composition, with two thick Ayous medial layers and maple top, but something was off because the layers were all aligned vertically. This means that the only layer with significant lateral stiffness was the Kevlar, but being placed in the center this contribution was really small. So I suggested to Robert that we might try incorporating two horizontal plies by subdividing the thick medial layers in the second blade, which would help stabilizing the blade and give it a bigger sweetspot. After building the blades, to my expectation, the first one warped. This confirmed my initial suspicion, and with a closer inspection of some new photos I discovered what seemed to be a really thin fiberglass layer under the top ply. I wasn't sure that this would be enough to give the blade sufficient lateral stability but tried it anyway. It turns out it was, making it a 4+3 composition, which is even more uncommon. So these were the two blades I sent to Robert:

Blade 1: Maple / Glass-fiber / Ayous / Kevlar / Ayous / Glass-fiber / Maple
Blade 2: Maple / Ayous / Ayous / Kevlar / Ayous / Ayous / Maple

Since the beginning, Robert's biggest preoccupation was getting the handle right. In the end I understood why, this asymmetric semi-anatomic handle is one of the most comfortable I tried so far.

p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2020 at 1:51pm
Amazing work of art.
So cool that you were able to build this blade just from pictures.

What label would you put on these blades? Sounds like off or off+ perhaps?

Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2020 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by p1ngp0ng3r p1ngp0ng3r wrote:

Amazing work of art.
So cool that you were able to build this blade just from pictures.

What label would you put on these blades? Sounds like off or off+ perhaps?

I'm sure Robert will have a better answer to this question since he got to play with them. But the blades were really thin, which is another uncommon aspect, blade 1 was only 5.1mm and blade 2 5.5mm. Speed wise I would rate them as All+/Off-.
Static View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2020 at 2:09pm
OTE=Hipnotic]
A commissioned "Violin" with a bigger head size. Does this mean it's a Viola? LOL

Composition: Ash / Ash / Kiri / Ash / Ash
Weight: 83.1
Thickness: ~5.35mm
Head size: 158x152mm
Freq.: 1185 Hz
Balance: 3.4 cm (Med)

[/QUOTE]

Here’s a little write up / comparison to my Violin of the blade Sérgio made me. I have been playing with it for a little over 2 months now on average for 2-3 hours a week I’d say. Unfortunately league play has been stopped due to covid but I did manage to play 2 matches with it. This week the government announced a new lockdown so practice is also canceled till at least the end of January, a good time to post my thoughts on the blade I think. I have been using the blade with FX-P on the backhand and tried both Hexer Powergrip SFX and Vega X on the fh. Had a little stint where I experimented with a softer rubber on the fh but went back to my trusty Vega X in the end (which I always used on my Violin). 

When I contacted Sérgio I asked him for a blade as close to my violin as possible but with a slightly bigger headsize and an anatomical handle similar to a Gewo blade I have. As usual Sérgio delivered and the blade looks absolutely gorgeous on top of that. 

Overall the transition between the Violin and the new blade was very easy and it didn’t take me long to adjust at all, there are a few small differences though. The main difference I noticed was that it wasn’t as bouncy as my Violin, both in the short game/service receive and with blocking. I often struggled with short and half long serves on my fh side but with this blade it just responds more predictable than I was used to and my receive game noticeably improved. Blocking with this blade also made me be a bit more active since the speed of blocked balls is a little lower than the Violin. I definitely try to counter loop more now where I sometimes used to just passively block. 
On the other hand The top end speed of this blade is also slightly higher, especially when using bigger swings further from the table.
I assume the bigger headsize is actually the biggest contributor to most of the differences mentioned. Total setup is only a few grams heavier but it’s a bit more head heavy than the Violin which might also play a part. 
Can’t really say I have felt much difference in flex or hardness even though some properties are not exactly the same. If anything the Violin might have a very slight amount more flex since I feel it produces a bit more arc but the difference is so small I can’t even say for certain.
Serves are pretty similar too, maybe slightly easier on the Violin because it’s balanced slightly more towards the handle. 

The biggest upgrade however is the handle. It’s so much more comfortable than the narrow Nittaku handle. With my Violin I had the tendency to cramp up and squeeze the handle way too tight on long rallies, eventually that usually led to a mistake on my end. The anatomic handle made to spec of my Gewo Aruna Off really helps me relax my grip. 

So overall very happy with the blade, beat a few players in practice that I consider better than me and don't think I've lost a game to people around or below my level with this blade. I have a lot of confidence in this setup and don't see any reason to switch anytime soon.  
Once again, thanks Sérgio! 
Innerforce ALC, FH: Tenergy 19, BH:EL-P
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2020 at 6:49pm
Thank you Static for this review. I'm very glad that you are enjoying the blade!
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2020 at 4:25am
Interesting backstory with this one. The owner wanted a blade similar to his Acoustic and after a brief discussion we settled on a thinner but harder medial ply, Sycamore Maple instead of Limba, while also opting for hide glue. After trying the blade he stated the feeling was very similar but the sound was different, in a video we could hear this blade making a deeper sound, which indicates that the blade was a bit softer and less stiff. After a couple of weeks of playing with the blade he sent me another video and this time we could hear a distinct higher pitch produced by the blade, much closer to his Acoustic. He also stated that the blade felt stiffer and faster. So this corroborates my findings with the hide glue test, this glue takes much more time to cure and optimal feeling will only be felt after some time. Logo is also custom and drawn by his daughter which adds another level of personalization to this blade.

Composition: Limba / Sycamore Maple / Kiri / Sycamore Maple / Limba
Weight: 86.1g
Thickness: 5.6mm
Freq.: 1205Hz
Balance: 2.7cm (Low)

AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2020 at 1:52pm
Hello Hipnotic,

Any good oversized blades that are good for a chopper? Would want one with a straight handle, is medium-fast, and the weight is in the mid 90s. Would also want a medium-hard feel, nothing too soft or so hard you can't feel the ball.
Thanks
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2020 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

Hello Hipnotic,

Any good oversized blades that are good for a chopper? Would want one with a straight handle, is medium-fast, and the weight is in the mid 90s. Would also want a medium-hard feel, nothing too soft or so hard you can't feel the ball.
Thanks

Hey, I have nothing of that kind ready for sale, most of the blades I have available are offensive. But I would be happy to discuss a custom build with you, if you are interested you can send me a private message.
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2021 at 6:59am
This blade is definitively in the top 5 of the most complex requests I have gotten so far. Combi blades are hard, that's a given, but this time the owner presented a full professional project for the blade and handle design! I had to scratch my head a few times to make this one happen, but in the end it turned out great Smile

Composition: Hinoki / Spruce / IC / Ayous / Ayous / Maple
Weight: 83.6g
Thickness: 5.4mm
Freq.: 1162 Hz
Balance: 2.4cm (Low)

SoCalJL View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoCalJL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2021 at 12:08pm
Wow! The spalted maple in the handle looks amazing. My late father enjoyed the challenge of working with this type of wood on the lathe. Sometimes pieces would fly apart at the very edge of completion. What was the owner’s goal of the complex asymmetrical layering?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 27>
  Share Topic