Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SDC Handmade Blades

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 27>
Author
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2021 at 3:21am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

maybe my insecurity is kicking in when I am more attracted by that last blade than any other, maybe to enter the SDC world through the safe door, with a known construction. The one with Indian teak is up there too.
There is no limit to your progression it seems, so nice to watch!!!

Thanks! To be honest this is not my cup of tea, apart from the handle shape which I find really comfortable, but I try to cater to all tastes. The one with Indian Teak is already gone...
SDC Handmade Blades / www.sdcttblades.com / Insta - @sdc_tt_blades / Facebook - @SDCblades
Sponsored Links

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2021 at 4:12am
A custom order with an handle featuring the flag of the Netherlands

Composition: Framiré / Kevlar / Framiré / Kiri / Framiré / Kevlar / Framiré
Weight: 89.4g
Thickness: 5.75mm
Freq.: 1350 Hz
Balance: 2.7cm (Low)

Edited by Hipnotic - 03/12/2021 at 4:12am
SDC Handmade Blades / www.sdcttblades.com / Insta - @sdc_tt_blades / Facebook - @SDCblades
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2021 at 5:37am
A commissioned blade with different FH and BH sides.

Composition: Spruce / Carbon / Limba / Ayous / Glass fiber / Ayous / Limba
Weight: 94.5g
Thickness: 5.7mm
Freq.: 1335Hz
Balance: 2.5cm (Low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2021 at 5:16am
This was a combination blade I made a few months ago for a medium pips player, first time I used SZLC. ZLC is hard to work with, but this thing is extra hard!

Composition: Koto / Ayous / SZLC / Kiri / ZLC / Hinoki / Ash
Weight: 96.1g
Thickness: 6.05mm
Freq.: 1507/1485 Hz
Balance: 2.3cm (Low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2021 at 4:49am
Be careful out there, there is a weapon of mass destruction on the loose! 

Composition: Hinoki / Ayous / SZLC / Kiri / SZLC / Ayous / Hinoki
Weight: 110.6g
Thickness: 7.9mm
Freq.: 1700 Hz
Balance: 2.4cm (Low)

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2021 at 6:07am
Maybe the fastest you've made so far? it might be soft as butter Garatdia ZLC style with that thick hinoki. Zooming on the plies was fun. Did you build it for a LP player maybe? what are they going to glue on that monster?
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2021 at 7:35am

Maybe the fastest you've made so far? it might be soft as butter Garatdia ZLC style with that thick hinoki. Zooming on the plies was fun. Did you build it for a LP player maybe? what are they going to glue on that monster?

I've just made a 1900Hz monster but I still think this one is faster. The customer plays double inverted and uses T05 I think. He has some of the fastest blades I've built.

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2021 at 4:50am
I made this experiment because I always wanted to make a blade with thick and hard outer layers. My intention was to make it stiff and relatively hard, maybe for a modern chopper who also needs some power to counter attack. As such, it's still a reasonably fast blade, probably in the Off- range.

Available in my FS thread.

Composition: Black Walnut / Kiri / Black Walnut
Weight: 90.1g
Thickness: 6.6mm
Freq.: 1300 Hz
Balance: 3.0cm (Med)

PongGod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PongGod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2021 at 2:15pm
Another great looking blade, Sergio!
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2021 at 5:10am
Originally posted by PongGod PongGod wrote:

Another great looking blade, Sergio!

Thank you Robert!
Antuan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2021 at 6:29am
Looks like Framiré is similar to Limba, doesn't it?
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2021 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Antuan Antuan wrote:

Looks like Framiré is similar to Limba, doesn't it?

It's very similar, just a bit lighter and harder. The feedback I have from several players it that it feels more linear and crispier.
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2021 at 3:29am
These are getting popular. My Innegra inner composition, customized with a 158x152mm head size and a big ST handle with the German flag.

Composition: Black Limba / Black Limba / Innegra-Carbon / Ayous / Innegra-Carbon / Black Limba / Black Limba
Weight: 87.5g
Freq.: 1250 Hz
Balance: 3.2cm (Med)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2021 at 3:40am
I made this blade this blade before the new LYJ blade came out. The owner wanted the same design but at the time there was only one really unclear photo around. From that photo we cold see the the handle was green but as it turns out there are a few more colors in there 😅

Composition: Koto / Ayous / SZLC / Kiri / SZLC / Ayous / Koto
Weight: 87.3g
Thickness: 6.1mm
Freq.: 1380 Hz
Balance: 2.9cm (Low/Med)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2021 at 4:00am
Yellow Pine is my favorite medial ply in a 5 ply composition, it gives a sharp feedback, good speed and stability. But we must be careful of the top ply we use, or the feeling might become too hard. In this case the owner wanted to try a harder outer ply and unfortunately that was the result, the feeling became too hard for him with a poor synergy between the top and medial ply (in his own words). He did like my FL handle shape so something good came out of it 🙂

Composition: Movingui / Yellow Pine / Ayous / Yellow Pine / Movingui
Weight: 92.5g
Freq.: 1313Hz
Balance: 2.8cm (Low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2021 at 6:23am
This is one of my latest builds, part of a blade building challenge that took place on TTD.

To me the biggest challenge in blade making is to deliver exactly what the customer asked. Sometimes it's not possible to have everything in one blade, but in this case Der's guidelines were very reasonable and compatible, so I tried to stick to them to the best of my abilities. Sometimes the customer has a clear idea of the handle design, but others, like in this case, they leave it up to me. So this is where I left my creativity loose, my self imposed challenge within the challenge. In that regard I'm very happy with the result and was able to give life to my idea.

But I will be totally honest, I'm not entirely happy about the handle shape. It turned out the handle cups were too heavy so, since hollowing of any kind was strictly forbidden, I had to add a light layer on the bottom and remove some on top to see if they would lose a couple of grams. It does feel good, and I still got the 87mm circumference as asked, but it turned out a little flatter than what I initially intended. However regarding what really matters, the blade, and how it plays, I'm really satisfied. Every layer was selected to maximize feel and spin, down to the weight of the core and way that is cut, so I hope Der will like it too.

Composition: Koto / I-C / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / I-C / Koto
Weight: 104.9g
Thickness: 5.8mm
Freq.: 1380 Hz
Balance: 1.5cm (Very Low)

mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2021 at 9:15am
Spartan handle looks sick
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2021 at 10:51am
The Spartan helmet is in the handle for sure, what a beauty!!! Clap

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2021 at 11:10am
With such a name it seems like BH-Man is trying to play bridge between you and NEXY. This is a very good idea if my intuition is right, is he thinking of a joint venture of some sort? Nexy's blade spirituality and their know-how in construction and play marry so well with your approach that is for me basically the same, only more reserved and focused while Nexy is in the cherry blossom business when he describes his work Tongue.
For your information Hipnotic, NEXY has contracted people in the past; for example the Nexy Sahara was the creation of an independent contractor. Mr. Moon liked his work and commissioned a limited series, it was a rocket! If BH-Man sees a possibility there I can see why, you are Bona fide, hipnotic, yes! you are bona fide! pronounce "bona fa-eed like in the Greek mythology -how convenient- related movie "Oh Brother where are thou".
Happy Sunday!

Edited by stiltt - 04/04/2021 at 11:12am
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2021 at 6:15pm
Thanks!

Well, I don't know if that has crossed his mind but the "Spartan" name was my idea Smile
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2021 at 4:28am
Many people say the old Clippers from the 90's felt much better. Composition wise they were the same, but they were thinner around that time, around 6.2mm. This is my attempt to replicate that but I decided to use Tola instead of Limba. Tola is very similar to Limba but slightly softer so I used it in the medial ply as well instead of Ayous.

Composition: Tola / Tola / Ayous / Ayous / Ayous / Tola / Tola
Weight: 92.1g
Thickness: 6.2mm
Freq.: 1290Hz
Balance: 2.3cm (Low)

Music&Ping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Music&Ping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2021 at 4:36am
Yes definitely I was an avid Clipper user in the early 90's (I used to have 3 of them at the same time because of speed glue, sealed and non sealed ones...) and they were way thinner and harder than it seems to be today.

The frequency response is a bit low... a softer clipper then ?

edit: BTW the Spartan is awesome, I'd really like one with a FL full wenge handle, only softly sanded to keep a good grip, would it be feasible ? wenge is hard but still a really good vibrations conductor wood.

Edited by Music&Ping - 04/06/2021 at 4:49am
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2021 at 8:16am
Originally posted by Music&Ping Music&Ping wrote:

Yes definitely I was an avid Clipper user in the early 90's (I used to have 3 of them at the same time because of speed glue, sealed and non sealed ones...) and they were way thinner and harder than it seems to be today.

The frequency response is a bit low... a softer clipper then ?

edit: BTW the Spartan is awesome, I'd really like one with a FL full wenge handle, only softly sanded to keep a good grip, would it be feasible ? wenge is hard but still a really good vibrations conductor wood.

Doesn't seem very low to me. I see clipper cr and cc with 1320-1360hz and those are much thicker. Of course I would love to have an original one to compare.

Thanks. Yes that's perfectly doable. 
Music&Ping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Music&Ping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2021 at 9:36am
Mines were all over the 1400 mark, even the non-sealed one. I've been testing both of a guy I was living with in the same students residence , same thing, he had even one higher pitched but he was sealing his blade a bit heavy at that time. My coach at Lille III University had 2 of them either, the sealed one was over 1400 too. All that between 1991-1992. Before the Liu Guoliang fame the Clipper was already a very popular blade at that era.

Maybe the sealing process had a too much effect on pitch though. Those were regular Clippers, the CC, CR and WRB came way after 1992 as far as I remember.

edit: at that time as a musician I used digital tuners for orchestra, plus my instruments (basses, guitars, piano) to get a 1st check. For example a Viscaria is tuned F6, but a golden one, LGY or ZJ ALC are pitched a semi-tone higher, Gb/F#6.

Edited by Music&Ping - 04/06/2021 at 9:43am
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2021 at 6:25pm
That's nice to know. Do you happen to know the weight of those blades? This one with 92g is no powerhouse, Clippers of that time used to be a bit heavier. Also, Tola is slightly softer than Limba so it's normal that it doesn't provide as much stiffness. The sealing could also be a factor, sure, this one is very lightly sealed.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2021 at 9:55pm

With such a name it seems like BH-Man is trying to play bridge between you and NEXY. This is a very good idea if my intuition is right, is he thinking of a joint venture of some sort? Nexy's blade spirituality and their know-how in construction and play marry so well with your approach that is for me basically the same, only more reserved and focused while Nexy is in the cherry blossom business when he describes his work Tongue.
For your information Hipnotic, NEXY has contracted people in the past; for example the Nexy Sahara was the creation of an independent contractor. Mr. Moon liked his work and commissioned a limited series, it was a rocket! If BH-Man sees a possibility there I can see why, you are Bona fide, hipnotic, yes! you are bona fide! pronounce "bona fa-eed like in the Greek mythology -how convenient- related movie "Oh Brother where are thou".
Happy Sunday!

Hey Still TT,

My intent of the single thread that turned multi-platinum multiple threads was simple.

Give the custom blade makers an opportunity to get a spotlight.

Give the blade makers some specific and general requirements with an expected outcome to allow the blade maker creativity, trade-off decision making process, a chance to show off their thinking and skills, plus give them a chance to tell a story or three.

That no-good Der_Echte had zero intent on trying to hook them up with Nexy Korea. I think, but it would be a great chance if Nexy just happened to see the thread, no?

This was solely a private effort from that miscreant.   

For real, dude just felt it was time for the custom blade makers to shine... and that joker put his money where his big mouth was... at least a little of his money.

Nexy Korea might or might not frown on that effort, but for real, Nexy has that same kind of spirit as the blade makers with a lot of stories to tell, so I do not think Nexy will hate on it.

When I get my new shipment, I will make my own threads about their new rubber and their new house brand ALC blade.

Until then, there are 4 blade makers with stories to tell and fish to fry. :D
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2021 at 3:44am
I don't get a lot of requests for penhold blades so it's nice to make them every once in a while.

Composition: Koto / Spruce / ALC / Kiri / ALC / Spruce / Koto
Weight: 92.7gThickness: 6.0mm
Freq.: 1350 Hz

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2021 at 4:08am
This is an attempt at a pure chopping blade. Large head size to increase the sweet-spot, thick and hard outer layers combined with a soft core to maximize energy absorption and feedback.

Composition: Black Walnut / 5x Ayous / Black Walnut
Weight: 93.4g
Balance: 3.3cm (Med)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2021 at 5:45am
Once I was asked: "Can you make a carbon fiber handle?". No, I can't, but that gave me the idea of at least incorporating that element in the handle. The composition is also something I wanted to make for some time, an inner ALC blade with Koto outer and WRC core. Soft feeling with the crispiness of Koto that enables a powerful spin play.

Composition: Koto / Blue Fig / ALC / WRC / ALC / Blue Fig / Koto
Weight: 90.1g

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2021 at 5:18am
A commission for a Kong Linghui Special remake.

Composition: Hinoki / ALC / Kiri / ALC / Hinoki
Weight: 82.9g
Thickness: 5.7mm
Freq.: 1550 Hz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 27>
  Share Topic