Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

table tennis Practise drill - How Long

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GabrielTopspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GabrielTopspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: table tennis Practise drill - How Long
    Posted: 12/04/2019 at 8:17am
Hello i practise for example falkenberg 10 minutes and than we switch and my partner does the same drill.

how long should drills always be to improve myself before you switch and let your partner do his drills and than after that do a other drill,

too long could be counterproductive
and too short could not bring something

i hope you could help me

very hard drills i do for 10 minutes, and some easier drills i do for 15 minutes,
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2019 at 5:13am
What you are doing is reasonable.  It is also consistent with what I have seen elite players do.  It depends a bit on how long you can concentrate your mind on the drill and also of course your fitness and any injuries you may have.  I once got some elbow pain by working on hird ball backhand loop off pushed serve return for an hour straight.

It is important to do lots of work where you have to move to get to the ball.

Edited by Baal - 12/06/2019 at 5:15am
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2019 at 5:34am
I would say that even 10 minutes is a bit long, I always set my timer to 7 minutes and then try to really concentrate on maintaining high effort for that time.
Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2019 at 2:13pm
The usual duration which is taught for exercises in Germany is 6-8 minutes.

I’d rather use the time to progress with the difficulty of the exercise. Like going from regular to irregular.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2019 at 3:28pm
If an hour is what is available, 5 minutes each per drill gives 6 of them which is not much, and that's assuming there is no waste in between them. I always found the 5 min mark ideal. That was the balance with all the people I used to coach in my basement of today and garage before at my old house. One day we switched to 1.5 hour per session as a test and we never went back because they all agreed it was better and they did not mind to go form $40 to $60 per session, it was giving us time to talk too, the pressure was less intense and they did not have the feeling to stop when they are just getting warmed up; we kept the 5 min length per drill.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2019 at 12:53am
There is no specific time limit. It depends on the exercise. If you’re playing an exercise that is very physically demanding, then you should go for less minutes. But generally it depends on how well you play the exercise. If you are not getting into a rhythm within a 5 minute time period, then it doesn’t make sense to quit at 5. But if you get into a rhythm after 3 minutes and lose that rhythm after the 7 minute mark, then you probably shouldn’t continue to play until you reach 10 minutes. You should also adjust the difficulty of the exercise if it’s too easy. If you play: serve and loop from your backhand, and you hit the open up every time within the 10-20 balls, then you should change the exercise to something more irregular like serve and open up from backhand or middle.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2019 at 1:52pm
This is why pro players are pro, and the rest of us are not. If you are young enough to get on a full time coaching program where drilling at the level that you need to be a pro is attainable, then you get to a high level, through available time, and the recources available ( good players to practice with) 
If not, it comes down to your personal level of dedication, how far you can commit yourself to the dedicated regime of drilling. Drilling is counter efficient if you can't put the time in, and you are better off just learning how to win in your level. The worst thing for me, is when I see coaches taking money off people because they are inflicting Pro style regimes that are never going to improve a player because the player can never put the hours in that will gain any benefit.
This is why there are countless players out there who look the part, walk the walk, but are so inconsistent that they cant understand why they reach a level but dont get any better.

Edited by APW46 - 12/07/2019 at 1:58pm
The Older I get, The better I was.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2019 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

This is why pro players are pro, and the rest of us are not. If you are young enough to get on a full time coaching program where drilling at the level that you need to be a pro is attainable, then you get to a high level, through available time, and the recources available ( good players to practice with) 
If not, it comes down to your personal level of dedication, how far you can commit yourself to the dedicated regime of drilling. Drilling is counter efficient if you can't put the time in, and you are better off just learning how to win in your level. The worst thing for me, is when I see coaches taking money off people because they are inflicting Pro style regimes that are never going to improve a player because the player can never put the hours in that will gain any benefit.
This is why there are countless players out there who look the part, walk the walk, but are so inconsistent that they cant understand why they reach a level but dont get any better.

And then they get hurt.
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2019 at 5:26pm

What's the best way to learn winning at ones own level?

And does this mean that players can reach a certain level but because of their inconsistency they win relatively few high pressure matches and tournament?
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2019 at 8:09am
Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

What's the best way to learn winning at ones own level?

And does this mean that players can reach a certain level but because of their inconsistency they win relatively few high pressure matches and tournament?
learn how to win with the tools at your disposal, in other words know your game and learn how to play the 'chess' side of table tennis with ball placement and consistency. Players don't win high pressure matches and tournaments because they are playing players better than themselves but not necesserily more dynamic.

Edited by APW46 - 12/08/2019 at 8:10am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2019 at 10:53am
videotape several of your matches and identify really dumb stuff you do repeatedly and then stop doing it.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2019 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

videotape several of your matches and identify really dumb stuff you do repeatedly and then stop doing it.
Concise and true. The best players in all levels of play, know their limitations and learn how to win.
Having lots of impressive strokes and serves and copying top players does not teach a player how to win.
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2019 at 8:16pm
The question one should ask themselves about any drill is: creating muscle memory of the component. Another way of thinking about this idea is similar to Ballet dancers who spend considerable time learning specific movements before combining them into a dance. They don't start off learning a dance routine rather the routine is a series of learned movements. Club TT Players don't need a practice partner, coach or robot to practice the components of the falkenberg rather repeating some component of the drill a few minutes daily either at a TT table or at home in front of a mirror builds muscle memory faster then spending long periods practicing the entire drill routine.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2019 at 7:55pm
Drills can help because it is possible to improve some technical flaws.  Especially getting more consistent at making shots while moving.  But it takes a really focused mindset and the right practice partner.  My guess is the OP has that.  It was an insightful question.

Still, as APW says, learning to win is more important and highly neglected..

Edited by Baal - 12/10/2019 at 7:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic