Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blade Advice Please.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
anongpong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anongpong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blade Advice Please.
    Posted: 12/05/2019 at 12:51am
Hello everyone... My name is anong... and I'm an ej... I'm new to posting but I have been reading along for quite some time. 

I have a question regarding blade choice. I like to loop on both sides and I wish I could drive more but I play a lot of tricky spin oriented and pips players... So generally, I just kind of safely loop open up most shots and get stuck in rallies just safe looping their chops and spins... So my solution was to get a more control oriented blade so I could loop drive a lot more. I've been using Viscaria and some other high end carbon blades with tenergy/mx-p/r-47 etc... for quite a while now. 

So.... I've been browsing this forum for very popular, affordable wood blades and they include, the clipper, force pro black, fextra, dj fly, w6 etc... Well, I recently got the dj fly with some of their chinese rubbers and I'm very pleased. Problem is I want even more control... I have no problem generating power.... what to do?

I'm thinking about going to the next class of affordable wood blades and they include... Fuga, yinhe e-1, persson powerplay, and gambler instinct.. (Of course I may be missing some good ones... feel free to advise)... but my thinking is that these thinner, flexier blades (with chinese rubbers) will give me the ability to safely drive more... IDK. I obviously know that I need to read the ball better... But will this blade change give me even a little better chance at landing more loop drives? 

Much Thanks!
Anong
Ej still looking for his perfect setup...
Sponsored Links

Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2019 at 4:38am
All you need is a good 5-ply all wood blade. 

or

Edited by Stavros - 12/05/2019 at 4:39am
Blade: Stiga Infinity
FH: Dignics 80
BH: Dignics 05
bars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2019 at 4:59am
bty joo se hyuk

!! def blade
anongpong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anongpong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2019 at 1:56pm
Hey! Thanks for your replies guys!

Originally posted by Stavros Stavros wrote:

1.) So Stavros, are you saying thinner and flexier doesn't really mean more safety for loop drives? 

Originally posted by bars bars wrote:

bty joo se hyuk
2.) Bars, I didn't know "def blades" were good for inverted loop/drives. Smile That being said... I wouldn't put that in the "affordable" wood blades category... I suppose I didn't do a very good job specifying that.

Thanks again for advise, I'll be mulling it over.
All feedback is appreciated.Handshake

Edited by anongpong - 12/05/2019 at 11:32pm
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2019 at 2:54pm
If you have not hit with a W6 yet I would suggest you try borrow one for a few hits.  My memory of using one fits right in with what you want.  I kept chipping the edges by hitting table when serving so I switched to a really cheap blade because I was going through so many.   When I switched to short pips on Bh I wanted something stiffer and faster so never went back to W6.

Mark
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2019 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by anongpong anongpong wrote:

Problem is I want even more control... I have no problem generating power.... what to do?
Improve your technique?  Focus on getting more spin out of your stroke instead of power.  More spin causes the ball to dip faster which enables you to land more loops.  

Depending on the level of your opponents, some can handle power loops better than spinny loops or vice versa. If you can do both then you can tailor your tactics accordingly.
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2019 at 9:41pm

So.... I've been browsing this forum for very popular, affordable wood blades and they include, the clipper, force pro black, fextra, dj fly, w6 etc... Well, I recently got the dj fly with some of their chinese rubbers and I'm very pleased. Problem is I want even more control... I have no problem generating power.... what to do?

this litterally screams for a powerplay. lol
anongpong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anongpong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2019 at 11:20pm
Thank you for your replies!

Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

If you have not hit with a W6 yet I would suggest you try borrow one for a few hits.  My memory of using one fits right in with what you want. 
Mark
1.) Hey Mark, nice to meet you. I have read only good things about the w-6... I just looked into it and this whole time I thought it was a 7 ply... but it's actually a thin 5 ply! Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely consider it.

Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

Improve your technique?  Focus on getting more spin out of your stroke instead of power.
2.) Hey Gman. You're right, I definitely need to improve my technique... In the meantime, most of the players I play are, "tricky spin type players" and I end up safely looping(spinning) balls to them(I fail at reading their spins so I don't drive more). Also, slow spinny loops is a comfortable part of their game. Much appreciate your input.

Originally posted by Hozuki Hozuki wrote:

3.) Hi Hozuki. Are you talking about the Persson powerplay? Also, are you affirming that thinner, flexier blades give more control/safety for loop drives? Thank you so much!

Again i say, all feedback is appreciated!Thumbs Up

Edited by anongpong - 12/05/2019 at 11:31pm
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2019 at 6:06am
I´ve played with Persson Powerplay for a long time. It´s the most controlled 7-ply blade I know.
It behaves like a 5-ply when playing passively (chops and blocks) with mild touch but much less vibration. 
When hit hard it definitely generates more power than a traditional 5-ply. 
Mine came with 87g and 5.9mm, in my opinion it was the best 7-ply blade I´ve had, better than Clipper, P700, Ludeack, Septear and Extrem S.
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2019 at 8:17am

Hey! Thanks for your replies guys!

Originally posted by Stavros Stavros wrote:

1.) So Stavros, are you saying thinner and flexier doesn't really mean more safety for loop drives? 

[QUOTE=bars]bty joo se hyuk

Very thin and very flexy blade means small sweet spot, generally speaking. Not a good thing!
Blade: Stiga Infinity
FH: Dignics 80
BH: Dignics 05
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2019 at 9:32am
I am selling new Butterfly Primorac Off- 5ply. Very cheap. I know this does not sound like advice however one seeking more control cannot go wrong with this classic model.
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2019 at 9:47am
You can't get any more control than this.  And it qualifies as affordable.  If you have no problem generating your own power ...

Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2019 at 10:13am

3.) Hi Hozuki. Are you talking about the Persson powerplay? Also, are you affirming that thinner, flexier blades give more control/safety for loop drives? Thank you so much!

Yes, I am talking about that blade. But no, I would not say that a thinner a more flexible blade would enhance control on loop drives. However, a non-carbon blade with more feeling can help.
I recommended the PP because of the things I boldfaced in the citation of your original requirements.
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2019 at 10:21am
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

I´ve played with Persson Powerplay for a long time. It´s the most controlled 7-ply blade I know.
It behaves like a 5-ply when playing passively (chops and blocks) with mild touch but much less vibration. 
Mine came with 87g and 5.9mm, in my opinion it was the best 7-ply blade I´ve had, better than Clipper, P700, Ludeack, Septear and Extrem S.

Can't agree more. Btw, if I ever want to sacrifice some control for a bit more speed, is there a similar blade you would recommend?
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2019 at 10:43am

Can't agree more. Btw, if I ever want to sacrifice some control for a bit more speed, is there a similar blade you would recommend?
Maybe Nittaku Adelie, it looks like the old version of Clipper, with 6.2mm.
However, I´ve never tested it.
anongpong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anongpong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2019 at 2:12pm
Thanks everyone for your replies and considerations. 
Originally posted by fmarek fmarek wrote:

I am selling new Butterfly Primorac Off- 5ply.
Thanks fmarek. I just feel more comfortable buying from the stores. I read good things about the Primorac and Korbel as well as the Acoustic and Violin. They're just a little pricey. So thanks again for your generous offer. 

It seems the general consensus is just to get a good,controlled 5 ply wood blade or the Persson Powerplay. Why do there have to be so many options? Confused I wish I could try them all.

So far.... What I've gathered is... That those in need of an affordable blade with more control for loop drives should get a MEO, W-6, Sweden classic, or Persson powerplay. Also, there's no real correlation between more control on loop drives and thinner, flexy blades. 

I'm kind of surprised to hear that thinner and flexy(like fuga or p500) = less sweet spot and not better for controlled driving. 

If anyone has anything to add, feel free as I'll be mulling this over for a bit and still testing my dj fly(which is actually very nice but maybe too powerful for my skill level).

Thanks again!Hug

Edited by anongpong - 12/06/2019 at 2:16pm
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2019 at 2:15pm

Maybe Nittaku Adelie, it looks like the old version of Clipper, with 6.2mm.
However, I´ve never tested it.

Thank you. I'll keep it in mind if I see anyone use it, as I always try before I buy.
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2019 at 2:23pm

Thanks everyone for your replies and considerations. 

I am selling new Butterfly Primorac Off- 5ply.
Thanks fmarek. I just feel more comfortable buying from the stores. I read good things about the Primorac and Korbel as well as the Acoustic and Violin. They're just a little pricey. So thanks again for your generous offer. 

It seems the general consensus is just to get a good,controlled 5 ply wood blade or the Persson Powerplay. Why do there have to be so many options? Confused I wish I could try them all.

So far.... What I've gathered is... That those in need of an affordable blade with more control for loop drives should get a MEO, W-6, Sweden classic, or Persson powerplay. Also, there's no real correlation between more control on loop drives and thinner, flexy blades. 

I'm kind of surprised to hear that thinner and flexy(like fuga or p500) = less sweet spot and not better for controlled driving. 

If anyone has anything to add, feel free as I'll be mulling this over for a bit and still testing my dj fly(which is actually very nice but maybe too powerful for my skill level).

Thanks again!Hug

Maybe you should find out what your preferred stiffness and hardness is. I find this to be the most important thing in any blade, as for me it determines control.
Too soft/stiff = too much bounce, too little power on hard shots
Too hard/too flexy = too little bounce, extreme difference between soft and hard shots
PP is rather hard and not so thick, so it does not have a lot of bounce (much less than other 7ply), but the high gear is just as fast due to more flex and higher hardness.

Tweaking these parameters isn't easy, and varies from person to Persson (lol)
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2019 at 2:44pm
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2019 at 2:44pm
Adelle looks very different from most blades, not just other 7-ply blades: 
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2019 at 3:07am
Just my two cents. I saw some recommendations for W6. I tried that blade several years ago and I don't know how anyone could play with that blade. It captures all the incoming energy and has a really weird dead feel. It was one of my least favorite blades I've ever tried. If you want a really controlled blade, you could try something like Xiom Aigis or even one of the Donic Dotec blades. I played with Xiom Aigis when I was like 1200 to 1500 level. Its a good blade with tons of control and it isn't that slow. W6 was slower. 

Edited by ericd937 - 12/07/2019 at 3:08am
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2019 at 10:29am
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

Just my two cents. I saw some recommendations for W6. I tried that blade several years ago and I don't know how anyone could play with that blade. It captures all the incoming energy and has a really weird dead feel. It was one of my least favorite blades I've ever tried. If you want a really controlled blade, you could try something like Xiom Aigis or even one of the Donic Dotec blades. I played with Xiom Aigis when I was like 1200 to 1500 level. Its a good blade with tons of control and it isn't that slow. W6 was slower. 

W6 blocks slow which is good  but if you have the arm speed it will snap.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
anongpong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anongpong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2019 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Hey Cole... Do you have any of the yinhe e-1 or e-3? I know in the past you said you have some blades available that aren't listed on your site. Or do you have have any insights into these blades? Compared to the w-6 or other wood blades you carry for instance? 

I'd love to hear your thoughts on any blade that will increase one's chances of landing loop drives... I get so tired of doing slower spinny and safe open ups. Embarrassed

Thanks!

Edited by anongpong - 12/07/2019 at 2:07pm
anongpong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anongpong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2019 at 1:53pm

Maybe you should find out what your preferred stiffness and hardness is. I find this to be the most important thing in any blade, as for me it determines control.

Tweaking these parameters isn't easy, and varies from person to Persson (lol)

Thanks! Yah, it's not too easy to figure out what works best for me at this stage of my table tennis journey. You really are good at selling that "Persson" blade, though... even with humor. LOL
It's definitely on my list now. 

Those OSP blades look fantastic. I'm sure they are worth the price, but it's just a little too pricey for me personally.

Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

If you want a really controlled blade, you could try something like Xiom Aigis or even one of the Donic Dotec blades.

Thanks for the input. I haven't even heard of those blades. I'll definitely look into it.

Edited by anongpong - 12/07/2019 at 1:59pm
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2019 at 3:21pm

Hey Cole... Do you have any of the yinhe e-1 or e-3? I know in the past you said you have some blades available that aren't listed on your site. Or do you have have any insights into these blades? Compared to the w-6 or other wood blades you carry for instance? 

I'd love to hear your thoughts on any blade that will increase one's chances of landing loop drives... I get so tired of doing slower spinny and safe open ups. Embarrassed

Thanks!

I have the one that's the yellow violin copy.  I think that's e3

I think you would like one of these two Swedish made globe blades or just anything Euro limba.  Stiga off classic type.  
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
anongpong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anongpong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2019 at 11:03pm

I think you would like one of these two Swedish made globe blades or just anything Euro limba.  Stiga off classic type.  

Hey Cole. Thanks for the reply! Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you are saying. 

Which two Swedish made globe blades are you referring to? Is it the Yinhe e-1 and e-3, or maybe something else? 

Thanks again!
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2019 at 1:46pm
Covering fifty years of tournament play I found the perfect blade for me. A BTY Peter Korbel does everything very well. I like the ST handle due to it's size. A great allround/offensive blade that can produce speed, spin, control with a variety of rubber types. An important aspect of the Korbel is that it has several gears for a myriad of shots. A true classic. Can't go wrong with it unless a player is a beginner. Korbel has excellent feedback and nice dwell to produce perfect loops. Thick enough to block well and even chops well away from table. Try it...you will thank me.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2019 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Covering fifty years of tournament play I found the perfect blade for me. A BTY Peter Korbel does everything very well. I like the ST handle due to it's size. A great allround/offensive blade that can produce speed, spin, control with a variety of rubber types. An important aspect of the Korbel is that it has several gears for a myriad of shots. A true classic. Can't go wrong with it unless a player is a beginner. Korbel has excellent feedback and nice dwell to produce perfect loops. Thick enough to block well and even chops well away from table. Try it...you will thank me.

In general I agree. For more control might consider thinner Primorac but it takes time to feel the difference.
anongpong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anongpong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2019 at 2:11am

Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Covering fifty years of tournament play I found the perfect blade for me. A BTY Peter Korbel

In general I agree. For more control might consider thinner Primorac but it takes time to feel the difference.

Thanks for your replies! Unfortunately, around $40 is my max budget for an all wood blade(That's my fault for not clarifying earlier). I must find a Peter Korbel clone maybe? :)

Edited by anongpong - 12/15/2019 at 2:14am
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2019 at 2:35am
My Primorac can be yours. It is listed in Sale section on this forum for 35

Why bother with clones if you can get real one. Anyway there must be good clones out there too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic