Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

two bats? one for practisse and comp?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: two bats? one for practisse and comp?
    Posted: 12/12/2019 at 8:26pm
HI all,

Who thinks you should have 2 bats? one for comp and one for practise? I thought one bat should only be used because 2 bats would be different even tho they are the same blade? Due to wood quality and weight
Sponsored Links

jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2019 at 9:47pm
It depends on the player. Some people use the same blade no matter what and others like Timo Boll have many . There is no right or wrong answer.
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 12:37am
2 matching bats is for convenience and security in case of an accident in a tourney. or just to give us time to get a replacement when one gets broken. or just because. 

I do not boost but boosting people definitely need more than one blade, 3 is good for them so they are sure to get 2 at the same boosting level or almost, at least one at the ideal level. what a mess!

Also there is that feeling if we stay stranded on a desert island we'll be good for a while Tongue and it  becomes an habit.

Edited by stiltt - 12/13/2019 at 1:54am
ProtossTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProtossTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 1:32am
I have 6 on me at all times but I use and break them all in otherwise it'll be too different from your main blade not because of wood but because of the top sheet or sponge not yet broken in. I can adjust easily though and use the same rubbers on all if not tenergy 80 which is my 2nd favorite setup/rubber. I stick to alc but have no problem switching to my innerforce zlc setup either. I have 2 Zhang Jike alcs, Nexy Batos alc, innerforce zlc, Timo boll alc, and a innerforce alc. All the alcs weigh 85-87 and the if zlc weighs 92 grams. The only difference I feel because I'm comfortable with the blades and rubbers is the if zlc weight difference allowing me to play more relaxed and a slightly more controlled game with alot of awesome punch block shots. 
ProtossTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProtossTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 1:34am
A better rule of thumb or advice is you shouldn't switch your entire setup(blade and rubbers) the night or day before your tournament/league. I've done it and played well but that's because it wasn't a drastic change. I was simply switching to another similar alc composition setup. Others go from 5 ply all wood to Zhang Jike super zlc now that's just plain stupid. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 8:06am
Originally posted by bokai bokai wrote:

HI all,

Who thinks you should have 2 bats? one for comp and one for practise? I thought one bat should only be used because 2 bats would be different even tho they are the same blade? Due to wood quality and weight

No. Use what you train with.  Why make things different when it matters most?
ProtossTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProtossTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 8:16am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

HI all,

No. Use what you train with.  Why make things different when it matters most?

Agree with Baal. There's no need unless you know for a fact it's identical twins and even then it's hard to say how close they are due to usage and mother nature herself. I'm just comfortable with having backups because they play similar to one another, but that doesn't per se mean I use a different one every training or game situation. 
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 8:16am
Only 1 I would say for matches and training. Definitely a good idea to have a spare replica in case you play competition play. Just in case of damage or a breakage which in more serious play means a change if you wanted to or not.

Think I saw a doubles match with Waldner once where he broke one and was left holding the handle. Personally done something in the team finals by accident myself. Not a plan to have to switch to an alien setup than the one you train all the time with. 

ProtossTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProtossTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 8:19am
Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

Only 1 I would say for matches and training. Definitely a good idea to have a spare replica in case you play competition play. Just in case of damage or a breakage which in more serious play means a change if you wanted to or not.

Think I saw a doubles match with Waldner once where he broke one and was left holding the handle. Personally done something in the team finals by accident myself. Not a plan to have to switch to an alien setup than the one you train all the time with. 

Think what the op wanted to know if people should use a paddle for practice and another for games. I'm sure most of us have a spare paddle at least for the most part. 

Edited by ProtossTT - 12/13/2019 at 8:21am
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 8:36am
At least 2. But play with them all in practice and matches. Rotate your stock. I cannot imagine going to a tournament with one set up and tearing a rubber on a half long serve and not having a backup.
There are enough variations in ball, tables, opponent spin, that minor variations in my blades make no difference.
I am taking 5 blades to Fort Worth this month.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 10:42am
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

At least 2. But play with them all in practice and matches. Rotate your stock. I cannot imagine going to a tournament with one set up and tearing a rubber on a half long serve and not having a backup.
There are enough variations in ball, tables, opponent spin, that minor variations in my blades make no difference.
I am taking 5 blades to Fort Worth this month.

The real question is whether or not you figure out a strategy to play with 2 different paddles in one point.  I heard a rumor you had developed something like those spring loaded hidden derringer things, that will pop out a different racket whenever you want.  Kind of twiddling on steroids.

Note: When Vanjr and I used to practice he often brought several rackets to the table and set them on top of the table near net for quick access.  One day he put a spare down at his Fh corner as we warmed up Bh to Bh.   Right in the middle of one rally he switched paddles.  I could not believe what I saw.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 11:11am
Originally posted by ProtossTT ProtossTT wrote:

Think what the op wanted to know if people should use a paddle for practice and another for games. I'm sure most of us have a spare paddle at least for the most part. 

Ma long has 3 raquets in his bag, li xiaoxia used 2 raquets in the olympics and had 5 blades in her luggage
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 11:16am

Ah yes I see now. Thanks for pointing it out.my bad. Stick with one practice and match bat. Have a spare on in your bag if damage that way without offending the EJ's loads... you can't blame the bat.
ProtossTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProtossTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 11:42am

Ah yes I see now. Thanks for pointing it out.my bad. Stick with one practice and match bat. Have a spare on in your bag if damage that way without offending the EJ's loads... you can't blame the bat.

No worries but I think we can all agree on one thing haha it's not typical to use 2 different bats based on practice or game. 
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 12:33pm
it isn't 100%. One bat for all practice and match play is normal for most and a crafty spare in the bag if you happen to damage your primary weapon. I know some people who have a bag full of them and blame the bat or conditions or the PH level in the water..... for not playing well or not winning.

Edited by ghostzen - 12/13/2019 at 12:34pm
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 2:06pm
I have 3, the oldest I use with the robot.  The other 2 are slightly newer sheets of rubber, and are used for regular practice and competition.  They rotate as new rubber is applied, usually to the one being used for robot practice.  The blades are very close to being identical, with about 1 gm separating the heaviest from the lightest.  I like the security of having one at home, just in case something should happen to the 2 that I keep in my bag.

The reason for 3, instead of 2, is simply that they were discontinued, and I bought them while I could still find them. 
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2019 at 3:06am
Thank you all for your opinon! I will stick to one bat now, my weapon! :). It didnt make sense to me that i should change my hand because the bat is suppose to be an extension of the hand ahhaha.
dajdosta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dajdosta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2019 at 7:02pm

Thank you all for your opinon! I will stick to one bat now, my weapon! :). It didnt make sense to me that i should change my hand because the bat is suppose to be an extension of the hand ahhaha.
Clap
Exactly!
Multiple bats for "fun".
Single bat for maximum performance.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2019 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

Ma long has 3 raquets in his bag, li xiaoxia used 2 raquets in the olympics and had 5 blades in her luggage

True but the multiple blades and rubbers in a CNT player's bag are as identical as it is possible for table tennis rackets to be.  Ma Long is not buying his own blades or rubber.  He probably never play with rubber more than a week old.

Most people posting here order their blades online and we just HOPE we can get the weight we want.  If we are lucky we can get two really well matched blades where we hardly notice if we switch from one to another.  And of course we are looking at around 200 USD each  for blade plus rubber ( or more)

CNT doesn't rely on luck for that sort of thing.
dajdosta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dajdosta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2019 at 6:11am
Anyway even if someone manages to assemble two bats that play the same then it would be pointless using one for training and other for competition.
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2019 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by dajdosta dajdosta wrote:

Anyway even if someone manages to assemble two bats that play the same then it would be pointless using one for training and other for competition.

Interesting idea, I both agree and disagree with it.  You can't put new rubber on a blade you don't use  and expect it to play like your practice bat, and using something so old it doesn't play the same anymore can be worse.  This defeats the purpose of having a backup blade setup.  Cry  

I agree you should always play with what you practice with.  Smile

The offsetting advantage of having a second bat that plays as similar as possible to what you are used to is when something happens to your main bat.  Maybe someone sat down on it, or you hit the end of the table and break the blade.  I've seen these things happen before.  

So I guess I disagree also, because the whole idea is to have a backup as close to my regular blade as possible, because I might need it.  Big smile

I should note that I only replace the forehand rubber regularly, since my pips on the reverse side don't need to be replaced as often, so my expenses for having 2 bats is lower than it would be for a player using inverted on both sides, and this probably affects my decision.

Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2019 at 7:51pm
I use 3, 1 for home training and the other 2 for club and match play.  I try to play the 2 evenly so if I have to switch, the replacement paddle will play at the same level as the original one.  I wouldn't want to find out in the middle of a tournament match that my backup is much slower/faster that what I'm used to.
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2019 at 8:43pm
Same with me,  the home training blade usually has the older rubber, but since I rotate them it's not a major issue.
chongqinghotpot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2019 at 10:19pm
As an EJ, I have given up my fantasy to find 2 blades that play the same, after spending thousands of dollars through the years. I still have many blades in the closet, but only play with one nowadays. 
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2019 at 7:00am
I use to be an EJ and tried so many blades until I found out that it was impossible to find the perfect blade. I Just stuck with a blade that I didn't mind the weakness as much but enhanced the strengths in my game. Blocking, driving and countering!
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2019 at 5:14pm
You definitely have to play with the same blade you train with.I have 2 blades. With a good one I train and play and the second is the spare in case I brake my good one. Problem being that my second blade differs, so that would be a temporal solution in case smth bad happens to my daily blade until I get anew primary blade (same as my current daily for a foreseeable future...)
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2019 at 9:03pm
I have two identical blades (TB ALC). When the rubber starts to get old, but not dead yet, I relegate it to the backup and put fresh rubber on the other blade. I continually rotate in this way. If one gets truly damaged I rotate in a new blade.
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2019 at 2:39am
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

I have two identical blades (TB ALC). When the rubber starts to get old, but not dead yet, I relegate it to the backup and put fresh rubber on the other blade. I continually rotate in this way. If one gets truly damaged I rotate in a new blade.
Drop here!

with rubbers I do the same :)
DHS Hurricane Neo3
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2019 at 5:05am

+1 

Except that I have a third, which is used to experiment with. For example to try the latest new rubber.
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2019 at 5:04am
Originally posted by alphapong alphapong wrote:

+1 

Except that I have a third, which is used to experiment with. For example to try the latest new rubber.
Drop here!

Do you carry all 3 to the club?
DHS Hurricane Neo3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic