Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

two bats? one for practisse and comp?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
YoAss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoAss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2019 at 5:14am
I use two very similar custom-built blades, identical in head size.  Rubbers are easily swapped, and I usually have both available and sometimes prefer one over the other, in "extreme" playing venues -- very slow tables/floor versus fast tables/floor, I'll prefer the slightly flexier/thinner/lighter one on the former and the slightly stiffer/thicker/heavier on the latter.  Probably more to boost confidence than an actually significant real-world difference.
Sponsored Links

bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2019 at 9:34am
I believe what you experience is a mental feeling about your blade hehehe :). 
ProtossTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProtossTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2019 at 9:41am
He isn't lying completely per se
Depending on the flooring of the Venue or facility the ball bounces a bit different. 
Rubber flooring is optimal with a professionally installed one
Laminated wood floor is doable not bad for sure 
Rubber flooring above wood blocks is subpar and is like so so I hate these kinds of flooring
Concrete or hard tile flooring has a different rebound of the ball as it's very hard. Alot of high level players told me the same thing.
YoAss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoAss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2019 at 10:32am
The rebound is very different on different venues.  I do not hesitate in calling this a factual observation.

In "gyms", with rubber floors over concrete, the bounce is lower and less deeper.  Those of us used to playing in faster venues, with more of a bounce and more followthrough, need quite a while to adapt to that.  Basic movement patterns need some tweaking, to stay a bit closer to the table.

This matters a lot when counterspinning, or opening up on deep pushes — or playing a chopper.  Typical symptoms are missing ball contact entirely.

Playing with different equipment may or may not be working because of a placebo effect.  If it's that, all hail the placebo!

Edited by YoAss - 12/23/2019 at 10:35am
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2019 at 7:29pm
I certainly agree that playing at different venues is needs readjustment. However, changing the blade for the venue is a bit over isn't it? The person that holds their blade is the master of it and thus controls it as an extension of their hand. That person will have to readjust to the playing conditions because the bat won't do it for you.    
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2019 at 8:02pm
I have 2 identical, and a 3rd one with a slightly different setup for ej-ing. I rotate through regularly to keep the same amount of usage on the rubbers. Rubbers feel different if one setup has brand new rubbers!

All three are Viscarias. They do feel slightly different, but similar enough that readjusting is a breeze.

FdT
anongpong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anongpong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2019 at 1:45am
I always got at least two blades now. One which is a 5 ply all wood which I use most of the time. Then I got a very fast blade and rubbers for people that have a lot of firepower and I need to pressure them more.
Ej still looking for his perfect setup...
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2019 at 9:58am
You have 2 different blades depending on opponent? :O
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2019 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by anongpong anongpong wrote:

I always got at least two blades now. One which is a 5 ply all wood which I use most of the time. Then I got a very fast blade and rubbers for people that have a lot of firepower and I need to pressure them more.

Pressure them more? Do you mean placement blocking against attacks?
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
anongpong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anongpong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2019 at 12:26am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Hey Icontek!

Well. I play a lot of very spin oriented players and players with pips. So, I found that I need more control against them because I'm not fundamentally sound yet and I don't read the ball all that well.

When I play someone with a lot of speed and a more orthodox style they can really take advantage of my slower controlled game. So, I use a faster setup where my attacks are faster and my blocks are faster so that they can't always easily counter drive. I lack in control some, but then again they play pretty straight forward besides serves. Ideally I'd be playing with my faster setup always. 
Ej still looking for his perfect setup...
alas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2019 at 12:37am
I have two very similar set ups but I train and play with only one. The second one is purely a backup. 

It’s convenient when experimenting with new rubbers to have the same blade (@same weight) for direct comparisons. 
-Eric
Nittaku Acoustic (Ch.Pen)
DHS Skyline TG-2 NEO
DHS Skyline 3-60
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2019 at 8:52am
Originally posted by alas alas wrote:

I have two very similar set ups but I train and play with only one. The second one is purely a backup. 

It’s convenient when experimenting with new rubbers to have the same blade (@same weight) for direct comparisons. 

Agreed. However, even tho they could be same weight. Other things could vary such as dimensions of blade and age of wood. The other thing that is definitely a negative is wallet becomes lighter after experimenting new rubbers! xD 
alas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2019 at 12:29pm
Oh, I don’t doubt that at all! 

Actually the only reason I have two exact set-ups is because I split the head of one and ordered a new one. Then, later on down the line I repaired it myself. There are definitely differences between my two blades, but they still were a good basis for finding the rubbers I really like for my game.

So, my repaired blade is my back up for the time being. 
-Eric
Nittaku Acoustic (Ch.Pen)
DHS Skyline TG-2 NEO
DHS Skyline 3-60
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2019 at 8:46pm

Hey Icontek!

Well. I play a lot of very spin oriented players and players with pips. So, I found that I need more control against them because I'm not fundamentally sound yet and I don't read the ball all that well.

When I play someone with a lot of speed and a more orthodox style they can really take advantage of my slower controlled game. So, I use a faster setup where my attacks are faster and my blocks are faster so that they can't always easily counter drive. I lack in control some, but then again they play pretty straight forward besides serves. Ideally I'd be playing with my faster setup always. 

This why you should use only one setup, and maybe the slower one.  Your brain knows what to expect from the one setup and only has to figure out what the spin, speed and trajectory of the next ball from your opponent.  It reduces the number of things you need to account for.  Any blade you use  will have enough power as your technique improves.  

If you doubt this advice, go find some books and articles on motor learning in sports and human performance.
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2019 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Hey Icontek!

This why you should use only one setup, and maybe the slower one.  Your brain knows what to expect from the one setup and only has to figure out what the spin, speed and trajectory of the next ball from your opponent.  It reduces the number of things you need to account for.  Any blade you use  will have enough power as your technique improves.  

If you doubt this advice, go find some books and articles on motor learning in sports and human performance.

Looks like I will definitely be sticking to one bat with another one for spare :D
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2019 at 4:40pm
Actually a lot of people who are just getting serious have the idea that they should have different setups for different opponents.  I've seen a lot of people try it maybe because by a certain logic it sort of makes sense.  After all, it works in golf.  In our sport, though, a experience has shown that it just delays your improvement.  Hopefully this will save you some struggles later on.  
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2019 at 9:42pm
Nah, buy 'em all like catching Pokémon and wear them like disposable fashion !!!

TT Resellers are gunna luv you like krazy.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2019 at 9:45pm
For a serious tourney player, it makes sense to have a backup of a same blade and rubbers, even if it is slightly different.

For the rest of the population, it makes sense to have another bat handy in case something happens to main bat.

50 different variants are not really needed, but what the heck, one might get an upgraded status where they play if they are EJ toting jokers.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Leftstudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftstudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2019 at 10:32pm
If the blade you're playing is helping you win - then doesn't matter how many or what blade are you using.
No signature required
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2019 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Nah, buy 'em all like catching Pokémon and wear them like disposable fashion !!!

TT Resellers are gunna luv you like krazy.

Rofl this made my day LOL
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2019 at 8:20am
I know a couple of people who have certain bats for their opponents. I think it just becomes a mental case of feeling more 'safe' with the setup. I have 4 of the same bat, one with anat handle, another with a changed handle and 2 flared handles with one being shorter than the other. They all feel different to play with from my main! 
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2019 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Actually a lot of people who are just getting serious have the idea that they should have different setups for different opponents.  I've seen a lot of people try it maybe because by a certain logic it sort of makes sense.  After all, it works in golf.  In our sport, though, a experience has shown that it just delays your improvement.  Hopefully this will save you some struggles later on.  
Drop here!

+1

imho you should adjust your gameplay to the opponent, not your racket... cause eventually you will need a whole lot of rackets :)
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2019 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Leftstudio Leftstudio wrote:

If the blade you're playing is helping you win - then doesn't matter how many or what blade are you using.

That's not exactly true.

For example:

A friend of mine is learning forehand mechanics (he has a technically sound backhand, but is struggling to execute the foot then hip to hip weight transfer to create forehand topspin).

His short term goal is to develop forehand topspin.

When he plays with his Joola Carbon blade with a fast tensor, his forehand becomes passive and defaults to safe, placement blocking to keep the ball on the table. Against his regular opponents, he wins more points as his caution makes him more consistent, in spite of the fast equipment.

When he plays with his Grubba All+, he is forced to use his feet and hips to generate power, and can execute in game what he practices drilling. He more frequently creates active forehand topspin.

If his goal is to improve, the faster Joola Carbon  works against his development.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2019 at 10:40am

Originally posted by Leftstudio Leftstudio wrote:

That's not exactly true.

For example:

A friend of mine is learning forehand mechanics (he has a technically sound backhand, but is struggling to execute the foot then hip to hip weight transfer to create forehand topspin).

His short term goal is to develop forehand topspin.

When he plays with his Joola Carbon blade with a fast tensor, his forehand becomes passive and defaults to safe, placement blocking to keep the ball on the table. Against his regular opponents, he wins more points as his caution makes him more consistent, in spite of the fast equipment.

When he plays with his Grubba All+, he is forced to use his feet and hips to generate power, and can execute in game what he practices drilling. He more frequently creates active forehand topspin.

If his goal is to improve, the faster Joola Carbon  works against his development.

Well said! Ive never been a fan of carbon blades. I find that you cant trust them once your in high pressure moments such as 9-9 or something. You tense up then lose control of the blade. I know alot of people around my club using carbon blades and once they r under pressure they can not control their shots thus mistakes climb up. I also find carbon blades to have literally no gears in their shots. Always same speed.
Leftstudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftstudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2019 at 2:39pm
why blame equipment when it comes to tight situation? it sounds like weak confidence that steps in the way. Also if you rely on the blade and hope it will do the job for you - then I think you need to stop reading those reviews and start training more. 

Trust your training. 

Edited by Leftstudio - 12/30/2019 at 2:43pm
No signature required
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic