Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

W968 top repairable?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ProtossTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProtossTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: W968 top repairable?
    Posted: 12/13/2019 at 2:16am
Hello guys I was curious as to see if someone on here could possibly fix this blade for me. Also if it is doable a quote would also help as I paid quite a premium for this paddle. It's just a provincial letters w968 fang bo style.

Sponsored Links

WingTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WingTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 6:29am
Someone could use wood filler and sand it flat again but it may change the feel. I'd put a poly lacquer on the top to try to prevent more pull off and just use the blade to see if it still works. If it does then just keep using it.
YoAss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoAss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 6:30am
Maybe this is a naive suggestion for such a fancy blade, but I quite oftenly repair small dents and splinters with wood filler (making sure it's smoothly applied and polished).  Seems to work quite well.
ProtossTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProtossTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 7:36am
Looking for someone to fix it. I know about wood filler but prefer not to mess up on that 
ProtossTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProtossTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 8:17am
Originally posted by YoAss YoAss wrote:

Maybe this is a naive suggestion for such a fancy blade, but I quite oftenly repair small dents and splinters with wood filler (making sure it's smoothly applied and polished).  Seems to work quite well.

Yeah just trying to find someone who will do it for me. I will either sell it or keep it as a for fun paddle if not just the looks. Depending on how the repair goes. 
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2019 at 4:47am
Send it to the bin. Buy a new one and enjoy TT. Blade it's just piece of overpriced wood but till relatively cheap comparing to other things - even to mobile phone or weekly rentals/mortgages we pay.
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2019 at 7:26am
I think that blade is beyond repair.  Sometimes musical instrument repair shops can do amazing things though.

Edited by Baal - 12/14/2019 at 7:27am
ProtossTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProtossTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2019 at 10:46am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I think that blade is beyond repair.  Sometimes musical instrument repair shops can do amazing things though.

Hmmm haven't heard that before. I'll check everywhere if not I was planning to try wood filler. I dont need it back to 100% feeling but just enough to use it as a for fun paddle
ProtossTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProtossTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2019 at 10:49am
Originally posted by fmarek fmarek wrote:

Send it to the bin. Buy a new one and enjoy TT. Blade it's just piece of overpriced wood but till relatively cheap comparing to other things - even to mobile phone or weekly rentals/mortgages we pay.

It's more than my weekly rent lol....well house payment. My phone bill is only $45 for unlimited everything under Verizon. I was naive in not listening to earnings about getting this blade to be disappointed and so I learned my lesson. I'm gonna stick to Butterfly, Nexy, Tmount, and similar blades.
WingTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WingTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2019 at 11:19am
Actually most blades with a thin limba top veneer is suceptible to being damaged with water based glues. It not limited to any one brand. One way to help with that is polyurethane lacquering the blade faces and being careful when removing rubbers. Even in the Nexy design notes for one of their newer limba top blades mentions that they may have to increase the thickness of the limba to try to keep it from coming apart.

If you don't want to face this particular issue again, get blades with koto or hardwood tops and lacquer it to be safe.

Edited by WingTT - 12/14/2019 at 11:20am
Robin.w View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin.w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2019 at 11:21am
Replace the top ply partially or whole. 
ProtossTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProtossTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2019 at 11:21am
Originally posted by WingTT WingTT wrote:

Actually most blades with a thin limba top veneer is suceptible to being damaged with water based glues. It not limited to any one brand. One way to help with that is polyurethane lacquering the blade faces and being careful when removing rubbers. Even in the Nexy design notes for one of their newer limba top blades mentions that they may have to increase the thickness of the limba to try to keep it from coming apart.

If you don't want to face this particular issue again, get blades with koto or other hardwood tops and lacquer it to be safe.

Didn't know it was thin and even my commercial long 5 or long 3 never had this issue lol. Just sucks as I was told it's high quality and none of this was forewarned to me prior to purchasing a big order. Either way my innerforce zlc and alc never had issues. I have koto blades as well they're fine as they are I have no issues. 
ProtossTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProtossTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2019 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Robin.w Robin.w wrote:

Replace the top ply partially or whole. 

Yes but I have no one to ask or any ideas where I could even get that done. 
Robin.w View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin.w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2019 at 12:34pm
partially replaced 

All replaced here

Some friends may think it’s a disaster to the old vis but me and the new owner both like it. The xuxin blue label’s top ply is whole replaced by the same carpenter who make custom blades for me.
 Hope this helps and happy holidays 

guni4you View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guni4you Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2019 at 12:56pm
I have a w968 too but never had issues.I just remove the rubbers very carefully.Thats all.
ProtossTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProtossTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2019 at 12:56pm
Alright once again as stated I'm looking for someone to fix it for me. Which means either send me information on where to contact or pm with a quote. I'm gonna fix the blade regardless I'm not a perfectionist nor will this be my main blade unless it plays really well.
ProtossTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProtossTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2019 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by guni4you guni4you wrote:

I have a w968 too but never had issues.I just remove the rubbers very carefully.Thats all.

Maybe mines a fake not sure tbh. And the fun part is the seller gives zero crap about me spending 500+ with him. Gave me a discount for 5 dollars off my next order...lol wtf 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2019 at 1:51pm
Buy a Viscaria.
ProtossTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProtossTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2019 at 1:58pm

Buy a Viscaria.

Lol I'll buy yours only.... Aka Viscaria God or King. Saw your posts about your legendary Viscaria's
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2019 at 7:31pm
I could make the blade very good, but I am in EU.
Only postal taxes will be higher than 50 USD in both directions, counting materials and probably about 2 hours work........I am not sure that blade deserves the efforts.
For 100 USD you can really buy another blade.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2019 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by ProtossTT ProtossTT wrote:

Buy a Viscaria.

Lol I'll buy yours only.... Aka Viscaria God or King. Saw your posts about your legendary Viscaria's

The latest versions seem really good to me to be honest.  It was a serious suggestion.  You wont regret it.

Edited by Baal - 12/14/2019 at 10:56pm
ProtossTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProtossTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2019 at 12:15am

Originally posted by ProtossTT ProtossTT wrote:

Buy a Viscaria.

The latest versions seem really good to me to be honest.  It was a serious suggestion.  You wont regret it.

Eh I prefer the timo boll alc and zhang jike. Zj handle is slightly bigger which I prefer. I have had the viscaria 3 of them 88,88, and a 91 rare one I found after looking for awhile. Sold all 3 and moved on
ProtossTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProtossTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2019 at 11:36am
Blade will be sent to Petar aka kolevtt in France. Thank you for reaching out to me and quoting me a great offer. For many saying trash it unfortunately it means more to me than just a damaged blade. I was going to frame it and put it up on my hall of fame blades haha. But now I have great news and hope. Once I get it back will write a detailed review on how it plays after the fix. Maybe if someone wants to buy it then sure I could give a great discount on it. If not it will stay as a practice paddle for fun or for collection no worries.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic