FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Chop smash for FH short high balls?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chop smash for FH short high balls?
    Posted: 12/24/2019 at 8:16pm
Just saw this video and it is quite interesting, could be a very useful stroke! Anyone uses this regularly in matches?

-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2019 at 10:50pm
Yes, works well. In most instances it bounces the ball over their head so no return is even possible.

Edit: The bouncing over their head is for higher balls than she is doing here.

Edited by jfolsen - 12/24/2019 at 10:54pm
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2019 at 10:51pm
Marty Reisman was famous for his BH chop smash.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2019 at 10:50am
Chop smash!  My favorite shot.  My training partner does this regularly to high balls in the short fh.  It is heavy side-backspin so the ball curves way off into the next court.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2019 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Chop smash!  My favorite shot.  My training partner does this regularly to high balls in the short fh.  It is heavy side-backspin so the ball curves way off into the next court.

Yeah the situation I can imagine is if I served a sidetopspin ball and the opponent pushes it a bit high but quite short to the FH. This ball usually has some really nasty spin on it and trying to flick or loop that tends to be error prone. If it was short to the middle or BH that can be punished by the chiquita quite handily. So a shot like this could be more stable and give me the initiative to attack the next ball. 
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2019 at 8:48am
After experimenting with it in games, I feel like I get the issues with this stroke now. It is extremely hard to loop against a chop smash but it's not impossible (my training partner managed to loop quite a few back) so it's not even a guaranteed point, and it's actually not that hard to just push it back, in which case you can attack the next ball hard (but it won't be an easy ball to attack thanks to the weird spin. 

The benefit of a hard flick is that most times it is just too fast and unreturnable, even if the opponent gets it the incoming shot is a simple topspin stroke which you can counter easily to the opposite corner. 
-------
Viscaria

ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2019 at 9:04am
Probably wouldn't use the chop smash as on the video to be honest. Much more power and point winning ability can be generated off a loop drive or regular flatter smash when the ball is a little high and half long. 

On much higher shorter lobs mind this is a good tactic. Gets a good high curl on the ball. Waldner and Saive used it a fair back in the day. Good variation definitely mind. 

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2019 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

Probably wouldn't use the chop smash as on the video to be honest. Much more power and point winning ability can be generated off a loop drive or regular flatter smash when the ball is a little high and half long. 

On much higher shorter lobs mind this is a good tactic. Gets a good high curl on the ball. Waldner and Saive used it a fair back in the day. Good variation definitely mind. 

Think there's some advantages to the chop smash especially if the opponent is expecting a flick, but I agree it's not as optimal as a good flick. Unfortunately personally the FH flick is hard and I miss quite a bit in matches...Cry
-------
Viscaria

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2019 at 9:39pm
For high balls close to the net, it's a very easy stroke that is very hard to return. As that high ball gets deeper, the success window decreases dramatically.
It can't be a strategic stroke, it can only be a gimmick to mess with the other person's reaction time when we feel like they are not that much at ease in the match. It is still very fun to do though.

For low balls, it's just an aggressive push that is as hard to time correctly than the flick but it is less known than the flick so it's a weapon of choice if we figure that the opponent doesn't like those hard push but deals with flicks just fine.

Edited by stiltt - 01/03/2020 at 3:50pm
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2020 at 11:03am
I will practice this FH chop-smash - seems easier to do than the loop-over-the-table which professionals do for mid-high backspin balls. I am short and without a good coach just cannot see myself looping over the table (tall players and penholders have an easier time with this).
Right hand: Stiga Allround NCT (74g) /Rasant Grip max/Talon OX red (total 135g)
Left hand, 2020-1: Stiga Allround WRB (67g)/Fastarc G-1 1.8mm/V11 > Extra max 158g
Fitness Friendship Fun
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2020 at 5:30am
Originally posted by pitigoi pitigoi wrote:

I will practice this FH chop-smash - seems easier to do than the loop-over-the-table which professionals do for mid-high backspin balls. I am short and without a good coach just cannot see myself looping over the table (tall players and penholders have an easier time with this).

Definitely easier than do than over the table loops and FH flicks...
-------
Viscaria

ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2020 at 11:37am
It's going to be tricky to get the power on a chop smash from a lower ball I would think.. If the ball is shorter and higher I would personally look to drive or flatter smash with a shorter more compact stroke from above. That way more pace and better recovery and easier to perform. The chop smash isn't going to be a point winner unless you have a very very good touch.

Touch and timing from the chop smash would be quite a bit harder to add quality to a ball. It almost becomes a fast push maybe at that height maybe?.

In the end it's what works at the level you play and most importantly a shot you can play over and over.

Gimmick shot or variation eithers good if it gets you points on the board.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic