Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2020 Xiom Novus Blades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2020 Xiom Novus Blades
    Posted: 01/12/2020 at 9:20am

Xiom Novus blades have been in the market for some time and they have added blades in 
the series like Offensive S and Extreme S about 2 or 3 years ago. They decided to change the handle 
designs of the 8 blades listed below for extra comfort and add a fresh new look. I can assure everybody 
that the quality and finish are excellent for these blades The Novus blades are what initially made 
Xiom famous aside from the Vega Series rubbers. In year 2009 or 2010, blades like Stradivarius has 
been selling great in the market. I measured all handles in flared and they are at these dimensions. 
Length = 100mm; Middle part of handle = 22.4mm x 28.4mm cross sectional diameter, bottom of handle 
= 23.5mm x 33.7mm. I can say that the flared handles have a narrow flared design and almost 
feels like a conic handle. Even the Aigis with flared handle can be twiddled easily but still 
maintains the grip of a wider flared handle. The all wood blades have a brown top on their handles 
while the pure carbon onees have a blue top. The Stradivarius has a red top on its handle amd is the 
only non-pure carbon blade in the series.

Aigis

Weight: 81 grams
Thickness: 4.8mm
Blade head: 166x156mm
Plies: 5 (limba top)
Speed: Def+ to All

This is one of the best chopping blades in the market for modern defensivwe players. This is a classic blade 
that people love due to the blade's good control and at the same time the ability to attack. The Aigis can 
chop defensively really well both far or near the table especially using with long pimples. It is slow enough 
to chop but at the same time if you attack with it, the Aigis can give you good amount of power. This blade is 
not slow for a defensive blade.

All Around S

Weight: 81 grams
Thickness: 5.2mm
Blade head: 158x151mm
Speed: All+

This blade has been one of best suggested blades in several forums due to its good feel, 
high control and is excellent in learning all the basic strokes. This is somewhat faster compared to 
other all+ blades in the market with the exception of Stiga Nostalgic ALL because that blade is really 
an Off- blade. A friend of mine who is a chopper is using this he can chop really well using this blade. 
This is not just an all around blade for its speed but a truly all around blade since you can do everything 
with this blade.

Offensive S

Weight: 84 grams
Thickness: 6mm
Blade head: 158x151mm
Speed: Off

This is my favorite and present blade. Along with the All Around S, this has been the blade that 
people like me suggest in the forums for beginners and internmediate level players use due to 
its good speed, feel and control. The Petr Korbel blade is an offensive 5 ply all wood blade 
which is good but the Offensive S is slightly better because of its better feel and does not 
feel rough like the Korbel. This is a fast 5 ply blade, not as fast as some other stiff 5 ply 
blades but still fast enough for offensive shots. A beginner can still use this blade to develop 
his strokes but has a slower rubbers like those low-end Chinese rubbers in the market. 

Extreme S

Thickness: 6.9mm
Blade head: 157x150mm
Plies: 7 (limba top)
Speed: Off+

This is a very fast 7 ply blade. If one wants to maintain using an all wood blade but need more 
power then this blade has everything you would like for an offensive blade. Despite being a 7 
ply blade, it has some flex to enable you to loop or spin well. This is a powerful blade near or 
far from the table and might not be suited for beginners.This is a pure offensive blade that is 
excellent for smashing or driving. It blocks well with good amount of control and is forgiving 
for a fast blade. This is very underrated yet IMO one of the best 7 ply all wood blades in the 
market. 

Ignito

Thickness: 6.51mm
Blade head: 158x150mm
Plies: 3+2 (kiso hinoki+carbon)

The Ignito has the speed that you need for powershots but also the control that you need. This has 
a high rebound effect and you can feel its liveliness with every bounce of the ball 
on your shots. More or less, this is the Primorac Carbon of Xiom. It has good feel eventhough it is
a stiff blade. Beginners should not use this blade. If you have the skill, you can have very 
fast shots while maintaining a good amount of spin on your counter loops and initial spin.

Strato

Weight: 86 grams
Thickness: 7.03mm

The Strato is the thicker than the Ignito. If you check it you can see the increased thickness 
of the kiso-hinoki top ply as compared to the Ignito. Despite being a thick blade with carbon, 
it has some softness I felt with it. The core is also thicker in this blade. This was made 
entirely for just smashing and spin drives that overpowers opponent's attacks. Strato is very fast 
and is faster than a Gergely or Primorac Carbon but offers better control because it does not feel 
as stiff as the 2 mentioned blades. This is designed especially for hitters or for players who 
love playing away from the table.

Stradivarius

Weight: 83 grams
Thickness: 5.7mm
Blade head: 157x149mm
Plies: 5+2 (koto+carbon aramid)

This is the best selling composite blade of Xiom since 10 years ago. Even though this has carbon 
aramid as its composite material, this has been the best alternative to Timo Boll Spirit or 
Timo Boll ALC in the early years it was released. Its soft carbon aramid composite layer insures 
a somewhat balanced feel of softness and hardness. It has the hardness to produce fast speed but 
at the same time the softneess to offer better control. I love the feel of this blade and the 
vibration is very minimal. I am using a Xiom Tau II on the forehand with this blade and it loops 
amazing and at the same time counter loops and smashes are great. i have come to love carbon 
aramid over the years more than ALC and pure carbon because of its good amount of feel and balance 
between speed and control. This is both a looping and hitting blade despite the good amount 
of speed.

Axelo

Weight: 88 grams
Thickness: 7.6mm

This is the 2nd fastest Xiom blade in the market (Ice Cream AZX is the fastest IMO). Although 
this was built to match Sardius or Schlager carbon, this is slightly slower and feel softer. This 
is in its own right an all out, very fast blade. It is slightly forgiving compared to the 2 
mentioned blades but this is just pure speed in and away from the table. This is only for expert 
level players that can consistently handle this blade in order to spin, loop or drive the table. 
If you have the skills you are rewarded with amazingly fast shots. This is also the thickest 
carbon blade in the Xiom line of carbon blade. Let me point out that most of the 
carbon blades released now in this series seem softer compared than their old versions.

Edited by yogi_bear - 01/12/2020 at 10:28pm
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

Charlie Brown View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2020 at 9:27am
New Strato, yeees
*sigh*
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2020 at 9:33am
i thought Strato is the thickest blade for Xiom and i was wrong. Maybe I forgot to measure the old Axelo before.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2020 at 9:37am
I have the original one and thought it was being discontinued so started to source out remaining stock....now you've brought great news today in it's updated form...thank you

Vega china both sides

Edited by Charlie Brown - 01/12/2020 at 9:39am
*sigh*
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2020 at 10:02am
can you measure your Axelo's thickness if it is okay with you just to compare? Thanks

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2020 at 10:36am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

can you measure your Axelo's thickness if it is okay with you just to compare? Thanks

i have a Strato it's ~7mm thick (used a ruler) Confused

Edited by Charlie Brown - 01/12/2020 at 10:51am
*sigh*
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2020 at 11:33am
oh sorry i thought you have Axelo.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2020 at 12:00pm

lol no probs, at least i know now the new ones will be more or less the same other than  esthetics Wink

except these have "Made in China" printed on the handle?

Edited by Charlie Brown - 01/12/2020 at 12:02pm
*sigh*
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2020 at 12:12pm
Stradivarius 7.6mm? Is this a typo?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2020 at 10:27pm
it is a typo while editing. it is 5.7mm

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2020 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Charlie Brown Charlie Brown wrote:

lol no probs, at least i know now the new ones will be more or less the same other than  esthetics Wink

except these have "Made in China" printed on the handle?

the older version are also made in china. not only aesthetics but also the new handles are much more comfortable.

Edited by yogi_bear - 01/12/2020 at 10:30pm

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2020 at 10:55pm
Good to know thank you...checking stock at Paddle Palace...I guess they're not out as yet?
*sigh*
Danny1973 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2020 at 2:48am
what a great post and nice pictures. I like the new updated looks. Are the handles the same as the Icecream flared. This is my favorite, and most comfortable flared handle. A little bit small, but very good for me.
Xiom Azx icecream
FH Xiom Omega 7 pro max
BH Xiom Omega 7 pro max
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2020 at 4:23am
Originally posted by Danny1973 Danny1973 wrote:

what a great post and nice pictures. I like the new updated looks. Are the handles the same as the Icecream flared. This is my favorite, and most comfortable flared handle. A little bit small, but very good for me.

The ice cream flared are different. They have a sort of a squarish shape with rounded edges. The Novus handles now are somewhat similar to the feel series but with a smaller wing or neck part. 

Edited by yogi_bear - 01/13/2020 at 4:30am

shrisan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shrisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2020 at 2:05pm

Originally posted by Danny1973 Danny1973 wrote:

The ice cream flared are different. They have a sort of a squarish shape with rounded edges. The Novus handles now are somewhat similar to the feel series but with a smaller wing or neck part. 

Nice pictures , new design handles look so good. I use Allround S and Offensive S, Noticed that the thickness of both is reduced by ~0.2 mm and Weight by 3-4 grams . Does it mean there will be some changes in the playing behaviour of the blades. And I hope the weight balance is maintained well with the new Handles.

Edited by shrisan - 01/13/2020 at 2:06pm
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2020 at 2:07pm
No major changes. 

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2020 at 10:46pm
Right now those 8 blades are the only ones available. 

Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2020 at 7:57am
I like the new design. Do you know, when these blade will be available in the shops?
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2020 at 12:43pm
They will be available in March 2020.
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2020 at 12:43pm
Probably by February. 

Reaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2020 at 1:33pm
Too bad the keep using those tags instead of a proper lens, they wear out over time same as the tibhar tags
Neottec Magic Control -CN : Nexy Karis M / 61second Kangaroo
Revoldia clone -ST: Hurricane 9 green / 61second Eagle
Donier Defensive -ST: Sword Long Can / 61second Eagle

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2020 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Reaper Reaper wrote:

Too bad the keep using those tags instead of a proper lens, they wear out over time same as the tibhar tags

They are aware of that issue since the Feel series and they said they did something about it in the new blades. Hoping to see them not tarnished over time. 

h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2020 at 10:32pm
Yogi, do you know anything about the new Hugo blade? Construction, availability etc?
p3v56yahoocom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3v56yahoocom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2020 at 7:49pm
hi yogi, could you give us a review on Tau II please? When will the public release be? Thanks!
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2020 at 3:10am
ill post the review this week but Tau 2 is only available in China. 

Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2020 at 4:13am
Xiom Tau 2 is on the ITTF LARC since 2015.
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
p3v56yahoocom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3v56yahoocom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2020 at 1:18pm
only in China?    
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2020 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Ray Ray wrote:

Xiom Tau 2 is on the ITTF LARC since 2015.

Yes but nobody has tried it. 

kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2020 at 7:11am
The new handle looks bigger than the old ones. Do they feel chunky?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2020 at 7:06pm
They are not bigger, only more of an oblong shape. The new stradi is the one that i have never let go since i really like it and havw settled with it. 

Edited by yogi_bear - 10/11/2020 at 7:06pm

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic