Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gluing, Regluing, Rubber Cutting Anxiety

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gluing, Regluing, Rubber Cutting Anxiety
    Posted: 01/15/2020 at 12:07pm
I'm tremendously anxious when gluing and cutting new rubbers or regluing existing rubbers, because many things might foul up the entire process.

Firstly, my Rev 3 sticks like the devil to itself and very well to the sponge, sometimes too well. However, it doesn't adhere well to any of my blades. I've even lightly sanded the blades with fine grit sand paper but found little improvement. This directly affects how I have to cut the rubber --- my scissors tend to lift the rubber off the blade with every cut and the rubber detaches rather readily, pulling off the layers of glue on the blade with it, and once the edge goes, the rest of the rubber can be peeled off easily. As a result, I've had to use my Xacto knife, which works ok enough but not well, and box cutters have been disastrous on cake sponges. Overall, it's a stressful process.

Come time to reglue, I have trouble realigning the edges of the rubbers with the blade. The rubbers often overhang on one side and leave the blade edge exposed on the opposite side.

More often than not, I choose to play with my old blade with 5 year old rubbers still well attached with rubber cement over gluing new or regluing current rubbers to my current blade.

Any suggestions for easing this apprehension will be greatly appreciated.

Commercial unboosted DHS H3 is very playable up to at least the USATT 2000 level. If you feel different, the culprit is either your skills or your blade.
Sponsored Links

Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2020 at 12:47pm
What's helped me a lot is to use a hairdryer to let the glue dry much quicker til it's clear. Also I bought a decent pair of scissors from a craft shop and cut with the topsheet facing down and the scissors guided by the outside of the blade. Finally, to stop rubbers coming off, edgetape. (Sorry if all this is obvious...)

Oh, and use the white glue that smells like urin. At the moment I'm using Huieson cheap glue and it works really well. Glue by the bigger brands (which didn't smell) often rips the sponge when regluing.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2020 at 12:53pm
Spray Windex on the scissors to get a better cut.  Draw a line on the blade of where the rubber should land. Practice on an old blade and rubbers.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2020 at 1:53pm
this works wonder for me: use finezip and wetglue (overglue) when regluing.  This way, you could reposition the rubber if you were not dead on the first try.  As for the cutting, get a really sharp cutting tool, not the cheap ones.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2020 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

What's helped me a lot is to use a hairdryer to let the glue dry much quicker til it's clear. Also I bought a decent pair of scissors from a craft shop and cut with the topsheet facing down and the scissors guided by the outside of the blade. Finally, to stop rubbers coming off, edgetape. (Sorry if all this is obvious...)

Oh, and use the white glue that smells like urin. At the moment I'm using Huieson cheap glue and it works really well. Glue by the bigger brands (which didn't smell) often rips the sponge when regluing.

Thanks for your input.

Revolution 3, the glue I've been using, does have a strong ammonium-like/vinegary smell.

I used edge tape in the past. When I needed to remove it, it often took out small chunks from the edge of the rubber, so I stopped using it.

I always cut the rubbers with the topsheet facing down, but extra sharp scissors should definitely help.

My bottle of Rev 3 doesn't seem to like being dried with a hairdryer or a fan. It's as though it can't be dried too fast. I've resorted to applying thin layers and natural air drying.

Commercial unboosted DHS H3 is very playable up to at least the USATT 2000 level. If you feel different, the culprit is either your skills or your blade.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2020 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

Spray Windex on the scissors to get a better cut.  Draw a line on the blade of where the rubber should land. Practice on an old blade and rubbers.

I'm assuming the Windex prevents the scissor blades from binding and pulling at the rubber. I wonder if soap water would work just the same.

I'm ok orienting the rubber top down when regluing; it's the side to side I have trouble centering by eyeing from time to time.

Thanks for the tip.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2020 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

this works wonder for me: use finezip and wetglue (overglue) when regluing.  This way, you could reposition the rubber if you were not dead on the first try.  As for the cutting, get a really sharp cutting tool, not the cheap ones.

I found Finezip by Nittaku, but what's wetglue (overglue)? Thanks.
DarkerMyLove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DarkerMyLove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2020 at 9:19pm
Before, when I used a blade where the hinoki wood was 'sealed' I found only butterfly Freechak II would adhere to the blade well.  Nittaku finezip would always not adhere well.

However on all other non-sealed blades Nittaku finezip works very well.  And just recently been trying with Tearmender and that works fine so far.

For cutting are you using a high quality knife blade (not just a cardboard box cutter)?  I use a japanese brand that is something like this:

These blades are quite sharp and you can break off segments when they get dull (i usually break off one segment after cutting two rubbers).  And you can buy replacement blades. 
808ponger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 808ponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2020 at 9:32pm
hobby knife or surgical knife works best especially with new or sharp blade.  Also clear plastic like those that come with rubber protectors help a lot when re-gluing and positioning rubbers or even with new sheets
BTY Harimoto Stiga DNA M
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2020 at 11:12pm

Spray Windex on the <span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">scissors to get a better cut.  Draw a line on the blade of where the rubber should land. Practice on an old blade and rubbers.</span>
That would work well, but we always do not have that product handy... I simply lick it on bottom quarter rubber side a little to get that mission accomplished.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2020 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Spray Windex on the <span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">scissors to get a better cut.  Draw a line on the blade of where the rubber should land. Practice on an old blade and rubbers.</span>
That would work well, but we always do not have that product handy... I simply lick it on bottom quarter rubber side a little to get that mission accomplished.

What ??
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Soniaross View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soniaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2023 at 8:57am
I totally understand your anxiety when it comes to gluing and cutting rubbers. It can be a tricky process, and it's frustrating when things don't go smoothly. Have you considered using rubber cement instead of glue? It might provide better adhesion to your blades. As for cutting, have you tried using a fresh, sharp pair of scissors? That could help prevent the rubber from detaching. As for regluing, taking your time and using alignment tools, like a ruler or edge guide, can help ensure the rubbers are properly aligned with the blade. Remember, practice makes perfect, and don't be too hard on yourself. We all go through these challenges in our hobbies. Also, if you suffer from anxiety often, you should check out the prayer for depression. It's also helpful for anxiety since both are linked to each other.

Edited by Soniaross - 07/06/2023 at 9:06am
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2023 at 7:31am
Interesting thread, but anxiety? To me it´s a therapy, I like so much to do the entire process.
Maybe because I´ve already tried a lot of rubbers my cuts are simply perfect and every mate at club ask me to glue and cut when they change rubbers.
TwiddleDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwiddleDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2023 at 3:56pm
I agree with darkermylove with regard to Butterfly Free chack II. I have never had a problem with adherence problems with it, on either sealed or unsealed blades. I also never had a problem in removing it from the blade. With new rubber, I put on one medium coat, let it dry, and follow that with a thin coat, let ir dry, and then another thin coat, let it dry. I put a medium coat on the blade. After that dries, I attach the rubber, roll it on without stretching it. I then use some very sharp dress making shears to cut off the excess. I then place a plastic covering on the rubber, usually the plastic wrapper that the rubber came in, I then place the paddle head on a flat surface, and pile a few heavy books on top, and let it sit over night. It is very easy for me to tell if a sheet of rubber has not been securely attached, by simply hitting the ball very hard into the net. Poorly attached rubber has more hollow sound.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2023 at 5:16pm

Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

What ??

You've gotta lick it...before you kick it

Seriously if you're doing thst just wet your fingers and then the blade. I've definitely used spit. Only on my own stuff I promise 

Edited by cole_ely - 07/08/2023 at 1:43am
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
groupoid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote groupoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2023 at 2:50pm
I'm using paddle palace glue and have the following problem. When I spread it over the rubber, it's perfectly fine. However, when I spread it over the blade, it dries so fast that it becomes clumpy during spreading. Then I have to remove it from the blade (fortunately it's easy) and re-do. Last time I redid the blade 5 times until I was able to spread it fast enough without much clumps.

During the process, I also stained my pants, and it's also hard to remove from them.

Perhaps the glue is just too old, also next time I plan to order Nittaku.

I also had previously really hard time removing the glue from Harimoto ALC blade, it somehow took half hour to remove, eventually I got it though. All my blades are sealed with Joola sealer.
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2023 at 4:12pm
Add a little water to the glue, use a wet sponge to spread the glue
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2023 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

Add a little water to the glue, use a wet sponge to spread the glue

I found if you wet the sponge you waste a lot less as it doesn't soak up the glue so much

groupoid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote groupoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2023 at 6:23pm
Thanks everyone, I will try the water trick next time.

For cutting, I found that the best thing (for me) is cutting after gluing, use large scissors, cut using the base part of scissors (closest to the center, to get max leverage) and go little by little, perhaps 1/4 inch at a time.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2023 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by groupoid groupoid wrote:

Thanks everyone, I will try the water trick next time.

For cutting, I found that the best thing (for me) is cutting after gluing, use large scissors, cut using the base part of scissors (closest to the center, to get max leverage) and go little by little, perhaps 1/4 inch at a time.

All right but use small scissors with a thin blade.  I use a kind I get in wal mart. Conair haircut with psychedelic pattern handle

Edited by cole_ely - 07/10/2023 at 12:38pm

aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2023 at 10:02am
there will always be a level of anxiety imo because there is always a chance of messing up, but i think it just comes down to the amount of times you have done it in the past, the experience makes each time less and less nerve wracking
TacticalPaperclip View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TacticalPaperclip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2023 at 1:24pm
Bleh... I had a whole thing written up but it got wiped when I tried to add a picture Disapprove

TL:DR - butterfly free chack ii for gluing, thin disposable safety razor and a cutting mat for cutting, parchment paper between the blade and rubber for aligning (paper should not stick to the glue at all)
YumarGreen View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YumarGreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2023 at 7:31am
One thing you could consider is seeking advice from more experienced players or even professionals who deal with table tennis equipment. They might have some tips or tricks to make the process smoother. Also, exploring different glues and adhesives might help with the rubber adherence issue.

When it comes to regluing and aligning the rubbers, patience is key. Take your time, and maybe even mark the blade to ensure proper alignment.

Lastly, remember, it's a learning process, and everyone goes through it. Don't let the anxiety take the fun out of your game. And if it ever becomes too overwhelming, don't hesitate to reach out to a mental health line for some support.

Edited by YumarGreen - 12/01/2023 at 6:15am
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2023 at 10:00pm
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2023 at 11:57pm
Got the tip from cole a long time ago and I go there when I have the right scissors: search for  "Precision Scissors Short Blade" and cut your rubbers with quick small strokes. You will have a very regular cut and it's ok if you leave a little mark behind after every stroke as long as it is consistent all around.

Searching for "Scissor Micro Self-Opening" gives also results that can be useful to the tt player.

Plenty of goodies there:

Note that if used only for tt rubbers, chances are we'll never need another one so it's nice a gift to ourselves.

I want the self opening ones so bad now, I did not know about them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic