Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Schlager’s training video translation...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marcelob View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcelob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Schlager’s training video translation...
    Posted: 12/10/2006 at 11:10pm
Hello guys, I recently downloaded this video and found it to be awesome, having Schlager exposing many of his serves as well as basic and complex strokes in it.
Even though I seem to understand by simply watching the serves, I do believe I'm missing important details that are said, so if anyone could translate the serving section, I'd be more than grateful...
(The video is in german with chinese subtitles)

Thanks in advance!

PS - The video can be found here:
Werner Schlager training video - Butterfly

~MB~
Sponsored Links

*JC* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *JC* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2006 at 4:42am
Im sure lots of people would be very thankfull for an english translation.

Anyone want to step up and become a hero?
Thats not a knife
THIS is a knife.
Thats not a knife
THATS a spoon.
master-pong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote master-pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2006 at 12:59pm
You mean the German part or the Japanese part?

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote master-pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2006 at 1:14pm

Time - Translation(The parts Schlager tells in german)

13:11 - 14:03 "There are different opinions, some people say you have to make ball-contact with service early. Even I can't do that...like make ball contact early and than let it go at the end (of the rubber, like he demonstrates). That's so hard. For me it's right to even hit the ball (?!) and then...When you want to create spin, you'll need a fast movement. And to accomplish that: Training, training, training. First you'll start slow...with a low amount of effect. But after a little while you'll get more feeling..it'll go faster and faster and then you'll able to produce good spin on your services. --- a lot of training and then you will get it right and get a good timing and you're hand/wrist movement will be fast and then you've got spin!"

18:30 - 19:13  "When I look at someone elses play and I see that someone's got a strong service..I want to immitate that..but I can't. ..That's his service, he has got this feeling..he can hit the ball at a particular way, with such a fast movement, that he can produce good spin like that. But I can't do that. You must not copy the service exactly..but about the same. You try to do his service, and do it again and again and again untill you'll also be able to make a short serve and untill it'll be of good quality."

22:18 - 22:51  In this part he tells about practising service. When you're only practising with a box full of balls and stand next to a table and perform loads of services you'll never get as consistent on your services as when you do a lot of trainingsmatches. Because when you train with just a box of balls the position in which you stand in the beginning and at the end of a service will be different as in a real match. So he tells, to train your service it's best to just do a lot of mini-matches.

However my German isn't that great. So if there are any mistakes please correct me!

Marcelob View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcelob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2006 at 1:31pm
Thanks a lot master-pong, guess that explains me not being able to perform those serves perfectly

Edit:
I'll keep the mini-matches tip in mind, since I usually just try to beat all of my partners instead of actually practicing and trying to improve my game/serves
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2006 at 1:39pm

also, some people here might find it interesting to see a translation of his discussion later on in the video of his matches with wlq and kong linghui at the 2003 worlds.

i found what he said about what was going thru his head when he was match point down to kong particularly interesting...

sorry guys, i'd do it myself, but i don't have the time...

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote master-pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2006 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by takaaki takaaki wrote:

i found what he said about what was going thru his head when he was match point down to kong particularly interesting..

I can translate that piece..

53:16 - 54:06
"The hardest point was the match ball which he had at..12-11, right? And at that point I pulled myself together and stayed calm. I simply thought.."okay he's got a matchball...but maybe he'll make a mistake, maybe he'll do a long service or maybe the service'll be too high" and he made a little mistake. He wanted to make a short service..but he didn't hit the ball that well, so the ball came short..but way too high..And I had the chance..to make the point."
Marcelob View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcelob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2006 at 4:52pm
Wow, thanks... Definitely intersting stuff, I just saw the playing and ignored what Schlager said before
wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2006 at 12:35am
Thanks Master-Pong, now if you can only translate the 42 chinese training tapes we would appreciate it.  Ok, I am only kidding.  Good job.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Xiom Sigma Pro Red and Black
Butterfly Amultart
Tenergy 05 Black and Red 64
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic