Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Genuine or Fake TB ALC?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genuine or Fake TB ALC?
    Posted: 08/17/2020 at 4:55pm
Hi All, 

I've got a second-hand Timo Boll ALC, whose genuinity I've started doubting. If I compare it with my genuine Timo Boll Spirit, there are a few differences: 

1) The ALC layers in TB ALC are considerably thicker. 
2) The outer Koto layers in TB ALC seem to be of uneven thickness - one is thicker than the other. 
3) The silver tag in TB ALC has rougher grain. 
4) The TB ALC has a more orange-ish tint and feels softer. The TB Spirit (and also another Zhang Jike ALC I have) seems harder and has a lighter tint. 

Also please see attached the photos of both. What do you think? Is the TB ALC genuine or fake?

Sponsored Links

kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2020 at 10:45pm
Authentic
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2020 at 12:58am
I see nothing wrong with your TBalc, quality control about the outer plies....ok....just make that thicker side your fh, Beautiful koto plies!!!!

Edited by stiltt - 08/18/2020 at 12:59am
Stev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2020 at 3:10am
It's genuine
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2020 at 11:18am
One thing I find puzzling is the serial number on the bottom right - in the originals I own it's well printed with a deep grove, with zeroes having a diagonal line. In the TB ALC in question, it's quite shallow and not as distinct, with zeroes having no diagonal line. Why would this be?
Skynet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skynet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2020 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Rollko Rollko wrote:

One thing I find puzzling is the serial number on the bottom right - in the originals I own it's well printed with a deep grove, with zeroes having a diagonal line. In the TB ALC in question, it's quite shallow and not as distinct, with zeroes having no diagonal line. Why would this be?

First of all: The Timo Boll ALC you have is genuine.

The reason why the serial number of your Timo Boll ALC has no diagonal line crossing the zeroes is because the blades are from different eras (according to the starting letter of the serial number the TB ALC is from 2009 and the Spirit is from 2016), so the Timo Boll ALC is older than the Sprit. The Sprit also has the newest silver tag on the bottom of the handle (the blade was likely produced shortly before it was discontinued) wheras the Timo Boll has an older silver tag. Back then the blades with the older silver tag also had slightly different looking fonts, hence the missing diagonal line crossing the zeroes...Butterfly changes "minor" things like that every once in a while.

Take a look at some pictures of the Timo Boll ALC from about ten years ago (just scroll down a bit...):
That particular blade also has no diagonal line crossing the zeroes

Edited by Skynet - 08/19/2020 at 12:16am
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2020 at 9:39pm
IDK, did you make it quack yet? Did it quack like a duck? You know the saying, if it quacks like a duck, ...
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Antuan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2020 at 7:01pm
Genuine
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic