Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Youtube channel with Kim Taek Soo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Youtube channel with Kim Taek Soo
    Posted: 10/20/2020 at 9:55pm
Found a very interesting youtube channel with the legendary Kim Taek Soo coaching players...

He's got some unconventional thoughts xD, and really emphasizes a good arm action (and wrist!)... for e.g. see below:

Basically asking the players to forget about their body for a while and just use the arm and get a very good whip like feeling for hitting the ball, focusing more on the feeling in the hand (he used shaking hands as an analogy)

This one was also very interesting in how he just proved that the amateurs had the wrong concept of going for power while they weren't producing enough spin in the first place. He just fed them really heavy backspin pushes to see if they can loop it over the net and most of them failed haha, but when they finally did (after some coaxing by placing a basket above the net and let them imagine looping over the basket) their loops were a lot spinnier and more stable. 

But I think his idea of using the "wrist" is actually mostly forearm pronation, and not really that much of an actual wrist action. 

Edited by blahness - 10/20/2020 at 10:03pm
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

Valiantsin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2020 at 11:01pm
seems his unconventional thoughts are just basic amateur errors )))))
Personally I started with such things)

Thank you for sharing this video!!!

Edited by Valiantsin - 10/20/2020 at 11:02pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2020 at 12:21am
Originally posted by Valiantsin Valiantsin wrote:

The exercise on the ball catching at the end (with only the racket hand) is quite interesting, I never actually did that before, just tried it and it was not easy at all!
-------
Viscaria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2020 at 12:38am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

The exercise on the ball catching at the end (with only the racket hand) is quite interesting, I never actually did that before, just tried it and it was not easy at all!
We used higher net for similar aim. 
What is bad - because of that spin, speed of ball and hit tempo together with movement is reduced drastically ((((

So for starting amateur this excercise is good but for advanced players like were in the video this quality of topspin is just a weak one.

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2020 at 1:25am

What is bad - because of that spin, speed of ball and hit tempo together with movement is reduced drastically ((((

So for starting amateur this excercise is good but for advanced players like were in the video this quality of topspin is just a weak one.

Tbh I don't think they're that bad...

On the second video, I can definitely hear the sound of him pushing the ball hard, I don't think it's that easy to loop a heavy Kim Taek Soo push. I can imagine that a KTS push would be like a crazy robot like underspin which is why they're struggling bad in the beginning. 
-------
Viscaria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2020 at 9:01am

On the second video, I can definitely hear the sound of him pushing the ball hard, I don't think it's that easy to loop a heavy Kim Taek Soo push. I can imagine that a KTS push would be like a crazy robot like underspin which is why they're struggling bad in the beginning. 
Yeah agree, they are advanced players at least they powerlooped KTS pushes couple of times even without any changes from his side.

What I mean: that pushes could be even flipped with proper angle of a bat.
What he was showing -- girlish or old fashioned topspin with radial direction of palm incline, the same for wrist and shoulder.
Not so powerful, pretty spinny but very slow.

Agree first time you use robot with such spins feel insane, but in a while you are used to those and powerloop easily. The only thing that changes is legs spread (width) and positioning. 

And of course I can be mistaken and do not get what he actually meant)))
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2020 at 6:27pm

Yeah agree, they are advanced players at least they powerlooped KTS pushes couple of times even without any changes from his side.

What I mean: that pushes could be even flipped with proper angle of a bat.
What he was showing -- girlish or old fashioned topspin with radial direction of palm incline, the same for wrist and shoulder.
Not so powerful, pretty spinny but very slow.

Agree first time you use robot with such spins feel insane, but in a while you are used to those and powerloop easily. The only thing that changes is legs spread (width) and positioning. 

And of course I can be mistaken and do not get what he actually meant)))

Yes they had to do that to even get the ball over the net lol, they do not have anywhere close enough to the brushing strength required to powerloop these. 

I think sometimes the true measure of playing level is spin and brushing levels for inverted players. If I'm playing a weaker opponent I can powerloop all their pushes without any issues at all and look like Ma Long, and they wouldn't even be able to loop half of my pushes. Against a better player, it's so easy to get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of spin in their pushes (I still remember the one time I played this penholder, when I missed his push, it fell to the ground and started spinning back towards him like a boomerang, it was so ridiculous... But yeah he's a guy who could spot me maybe 5 points lol, his serves and pushes were so ridiculously spinny that they were downright close to unloopable, and he could loop my heaviest serves/pushes without even breaking a sweat). 

My takeaway from the KTS video is that, if you can't brush hard, it doesn't matter if your stroke structure is perfect you will still struggle especially  against heavy pushes because the spin just ain't there. The body/stroke structure almost doesn't even matter, coz if you have a strong brushing power in your fingers you can generate huge amounts of spin with ease which makes pretty much everything better regardless of your stroke structure.  
-------
Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic