Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What kinds of reviews are most helpful?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
revspin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote revspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What kinds of reviews are most helpful?
    Posted: 01/17/2021 at 11:53pm
Hey guys,

I'm trying to enhance the quality of reviews on Revspin and promote to users how to write better ones.

What kind of equipment reviews do you find most helpful?
  1. Length: How long? Short comments vs. Blog-style?
  2. Format: Text or video?
  3. Rating numbers vs. text reviews?
  4. Do you have examples of reviews you really liked?
Thanks for any insights you can provide!

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net Reviews + Shop
Sponsored Links

Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2021 at 7:47am
Hey, a mix between all those things. Not too short (5 sentences) but also not too long (5 min reading should be alright). For the structure, I suggest having determining certain areas such as dwell time, speed, spin, control, feel (hardness/flex) etc. I’d write my findings in a text type format, but also provide numbers. A comparison to a similar product (viscaria and ZJK alc for example) would also help, as this provides a better idea of how the person views things.

Lastly I think the players rating should be mentioned. A lot of times when you read table tennis posts, they make the player Sound like a very high level player, when in reality they are around 1600-1800 Us rating. It’s just important to mention this, as this has influence when describing speed and control for example. A video would be a great addition.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2021 at 10:49am
Originally posted by revspin revspin wrote:

Hey guys,

I'm trying to enhance the quality of reviews on Revspin and promote to users how to write better ones.

Understanding the reviewers rating/level/playstyle is really helpful; so it's probably no surprise that I find that the best Revspin reviews are the ones with the most feedback. I suspect that it's not just individually great reviews, as much as it is that the differences in equipment opinions due to level and playstyle. 

I don't mind a bunch of short written blurbs from different reviewers.

And revspin has been great for over a decade, back through the TTDB days, so thank you for providing such a great resource for our sport's EJ community!

Edited by icontek - 01/18/2021 at 10:50am
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2021 at 5:35pm
The things that I would find useful are things that are the most objective. 

So, I am interested in durability.  I would like to know the weight.  I would like to know how long the pips are underneath the inverted rubber (I care about that a lot, some people won't).  Some people would like to know how it reacts to booster.  I think people are able to tell us if a rubber is fast or not, and others who would try it would probably agree. 

When someone says in a review that a rubber is "spinny" I tend to pay little attention because that is extremely difficult to measure. 

If someone says they can "control" the rubber, by itself, pretty useless.  If someone says that compared to X I had trouble with rubber Y in (say) keeping my blocks from flying off the end of the table or (say) keeping my return of serve where I wanted it, that is useful, more so the better the player doing the review. In other words, control of WHAT.

For a blade, the sound frequency characteristics that people were measuring for awhile seem moderately useful to some people. 

At some point I realized that the only way to know was to try for myself, and I just relied on the EJs at my club, to hit a few balls with their new blade before spending money.

Edited by Baal - 01/18/2021 at 5:38pm
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2021 at 7:56pm
For blades I really like measurements. It is amazing how many blades head measurements are hard to find. I like to know weight. 
Subjectively I like to know how much relative flex the blade has and how hard or soft it feels.
revspin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote revspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2021 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Originally posted by revspin revspin wrote:

Hey guys,

Understanding the reviewers rating/level/playstyle is really helpful; so it's probably no surprise that I find that the best Revspin reviews are the ones with the most feedback. I suspect that it's not just individually great reviews, as much as it is that the differences in equipment opinions due to level and playstyle. 

I don't mind a bunch of short written blurbs from different reviewers.

And revspin has been great for over a decade, back through the TTDB days, so thank you for providing such a great resource for our sport's EJ community!

Thanks, showing the ratings of the players is actually a good idea, so I think I can add that!

Arthur Lui
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2021 at 3:53pm
A Picture is worth a 1000 words, so if there were short video clips that would be very helpful. Also agree that the rating of the player would be helpful as well.  
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
revspin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote revspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2021 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

A Picture is worth a 1000 words, so if there were short video clips that would be very helpful. Also agree that the rating of the player would be helpful as well.  
Hmm true! Photos and video added to the backlog! Thanks!

Arthur Lui
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2021 at 5:54pm
In addition to the absolutely useful reviewer's playing level and style, it would be good that they precise their preference before the review so we get a stand point from which we can better understand the findings they express.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic