Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yasaka Hovering Dragon Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zwill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Zwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yasaka Hovering Dragon Review
    Posted: 01/18/2021 at 6:43am
I ordered this rubber back in October 2020 as I saw that it became fairly popular on wechat by merchants in China. Got it in hard sponge hardness in black and medium hardness in red. Before I was using unboosted 39deg H3 orange on forehand and unboosted 37deg orange on backhand/Rozena, I was struggling with both actually on BH in some aspects but really liking both in their own way.

I never tried the Rising or Shining dragon series before unfortunately, so I can't really make direct comparison with them. But I believe the Hovering dragon is the replacement or successor to Rising dragon and the Thunder dragon is for Shining dragon.

Opening the package I immediately noticed some things that still confuse me to this very moment and I hope someone can help me to clarify. At the back of the cardboard I noticed that the marketing bs had a label on it with some better description. As far as I remember Yasaka marketing has been pretty non-existent, but the cardboard description here is outright misleading, the label is actually informative. I will post photos later when I get home because I took some.

The Hovering dragon is a non-tacky topsheet, it's glossy but has no "Chinese tackiness" at all. The glossiness a bit reminds me of Yinhe Moon Speed but the Hovering dragon is proving to be more durable than that by a lot. One other discrepancy I found that some asian websites show the Hovering dragon to have a plastic foil on the rubber sheet. Well mine had nothing, just a piece of paper.

The sponge looks very similar to Butterfly spring sponge. Unlike the Rising dragon here both black and red rubbers have orange/red sponge, with probably similar size pores as Dignics. The sponge had a surprising speedglue dome out of the package, but I couldn't smell or touch any booster oil. Also the rubber doesn't have the disgusting Chinese rubber smell that H3 or Big Dipper has.
Another weird thing was that on the same Asian sites the sponge has a some description printed on it with ink, as you see on the photos mine has engraved description.

The rubbers are light, black was 63g, red was 61g uncut. Didn't measure the dimensions unfortunately.

After sticking it on my Yinhe Viscaria clone blade I kind of thought these rubbers are more similar to Rozena, than to Hurricane just from bouncing and spinning the ball. It felt a bit catapulty, and not sticky at all. It almost felt as a soft rubber.

The playing characteristics:
My initial impression was immediately countered, because my Hurricane stroke mechanics worked right away while with Rozena I couldn't hit a ball over the net on FH.
The hard sponge version feels pretty hard, not as hard as an unboosted Huricane, but not that far off. It can give that "metalic" sound that most Chinese rubbers have. The sponge indeed has some spring to it but not much.

It doesn't like to lift the ball, or at least I have no idea how to make a soft spin with it from below the table. I honestly don't think it's possible with the hard version and on the forehand.
So opening loops are a bit weird in fact: You can either just loop kill anything if you are in position and over the table, or you have to put in some major effort to pull up the ball from under the table. I can't really say the classical spiny, safe opening loop is much of an option with this rubber. (or at least I so far I couldn't get the hang how to do it)

Loop driving is just OK. Not super fast, not as slow as H3, but you need to put in your whole body and legs to generate the pace. It doesn't do magical stuff, in this regard but it's fairly consistent and linear.
Loop drive against loop drive is however pretty awesome, it's so secure to play with that you can outplace your opponent and since it has a low angle loop drive you opponent will really struggle.
What I noticed that this is a forward motion rubber, if you hit forward it generates the spin and the pace very well. If your stroke is more upward it won't generate much speed or spin. It's a weird rubber and I think this is why it's also good for over the table loop kill shots.

Counter-looping above the table is awesome with it. Again the low angle helps and it is super insensitive to incoming spin.
Blocking is also fantastic, you basically can't miss, and even the extremely spiny opening loops can be controlled. It's a good feeling that you are not pressured into doing some half-assed opening loop because you can't block your opponents spin if he takes the lead.
It never made that hiss sound when the ball slips on the rubber, it really is a master at spin control.

Touch game is pretty darn good. Insensitive for incoming spin, I don't feel it puts in much either over the table, but you can keep the balls low and short. Also you can push out sharply.
Flicks are awesome with it. My opponents must feel kinda disgusted playing against it.

Flat hitting is excellent, I think it would suit Mima Ito very well.

On backhand the medium soft version is awesome. There is a lot of difference in feeling between the hard one. It is easier to play with, it sinks in the ball and has a bit more catapult effect. But it's not the disgusting Rozena or MX-P type when it just catapults soft balls off the table. It's more of a sink into the sponge and "gentle" push and because of it over the table banana flicks are just amazing and the control is probably the best I encountered. You can basically banana flick everything.
Touch, block is amazing, you can even punch loop drives effectively. I can do opening loops on my backhand interestingly, I guess because of different movement mechanics than FH.
Loop drive is much more consistent than H3 or Rozena from every distance.

I'm a left hander so I do get into FH vs BH loop driving rallies and with this rubber the BH was really solid, I'm not scared to just let it rip.

I feel on BH it generates more spin than on FH, but to be honest I always had this weird feeling with H3 too that it's not making as much spin on FH.

Serving is not that great I think... Making short spiny serves is difficult with it. However long jumpy serves I could do very well. I think it's again similar to Chinese rubbers that you need a strong-long motion to generate lot of spin. Unlike with EU or JP rubbers where you can get away with small wrist movements. With H3 I also noticed similar things, I can't generate very spiny short serves.

Durability is excellent. I have more than 30 hours of good use in it. The only really visible marks of use are where my fingers are. The ball contacts have not caused any visible wear. You can see the photos.

I used it with Joola Flash and DHS DJ40 ABS ball, it is better with the DHS ball since it's a bit heavier and faster. I can't say I like the Joola Flash styled seamless balls but it is the most commonly used ball in my country unfortunately.

Sorry for the very long review. I hope it will be useful for some of you who are interested in it. I wonder what the players who used Rising dragon can say or confirm as similarity.

P.s: One of my Chinese friends said that on Taobao there's a pro version and a normal version for different price. She is not an expert at equipment, but I wonder if the mentioned inconsistencies are because of this?? I didn't pay attention to this until I noticed the differences and then I just got confused.
I would be surprised if Yasaka had this kind of business practice even though this is a Chinese made rubber.

Edit: added photos

Edited by Zwill - 01/19/2021 at 3:36am
Sponsored Links

mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2021 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Zwill Zwill wrote:

I ordered this rubber back in October 2020 as I saw that it became fairly popular on wechat by merchants in China. Got it in hard sponge hardness in black and medium hardness in red. Before I was using unboosted 39deg H3 orange on forehand and unboosted 37deg orange on backhand/Rozena, I was struggling with both actually on BH in some aspects but really liking both in their own way.

I never tried the Rising or Shining dragon series before unfortunately, so I can't really make direct comparison with them. But I believe the Hovering dragon is the replacement or successor to Rising dragon and the Thunder dragon is for Shining dragon.

Opening the package I immediately noticed some things that still confuse me to this very moment and I hope someone can help me to clarify. At the back of the cardboard I noticed that the marketing bs had a label on it with some better description. As far as I remember Yasaka marketing has been pretty non-existent, but the cardboard description here is outright misleading, the label is actually informative. I will post photos later when I get home because I took some.

The Hovering dragon is a non-tacky topsheet, it's glossy but has no "Chinese tackiness" at all. The glossiness a bit reminds me of Yinhe Moon Speed but the Hovering dragon is proving to be more durable than that by a lot. One other discrepancy I found that some asian websites show the Hovering dragon to have a plastic foil on the rubber sheet. Well mine had nothing, just a piece of paper.

The sponge looks very similar to Butterfly spring sponge. Unlike the Rising dragon here both black and red rubbers have orange/red sponge, with probably similar size pores as Dignics. The sponge had a surprising speedglue dome out of the package, but I couldn't smell or touch any booster oil. Also the rubber doesn't have the disgusting Chinese rubber smell that H3 or Big Dipper has.
Another weird thing was that on the same asian sites the sponge has a some description printed on it with ink, as you see on the photos (that I will post later) mine has engraved description.

The rubbers are light, black was 63g, red was 61g uncut. Didn't measure the dimensions unfortunately.

After sticking it on my Yinhe Viscaria clone blade I kind of thought these rubbers are more similar to Rozena, than to Hurricane just from bouncing and spinning the ball. It felt a bit catapulty, and not sticky at all. It almost felt as a soft rubber.

The playing characteristics:
My initial impression was immediately countered, because my Hurricane stroke mechanics worked right away while with Rozena I couldn't hit a ball over the net on FH.
The hard sponge version feels pretty hard, not as hard as an unboosted Huricane, but not that far off. It can give that "metalic" sound that most Chinese rubbers have. The sponge indeed has some spring to it but not much.

It doesn't like to lift the ball, or at least I have no idea how to make a soft spin with it from below the table. I honestly don't think it's possible with the hard version and on the forehand.
So opening loops are a bit weird in fact: You can either just loop kill anything if you are in position and over the table, or you have to put in some major effort to pull up the ball from under the table. I can't really say the classical spiny, safe opening loop is much of an option with this rubber. (or at least I so far I couldn't get the hang how to do it with this rubber)

Loop driving is just OK. Not super fast, not as slow as H3, but you need to put in your whole body and legs to generate the pace. It doesn't do magical stuff, in this regard but it's fairly consistent and linear.
Loop drive against loop drive is however pretty awesome, it's so secure to play with that you can outplace your opponent and since it has a low angle loop drive you opponent will really struggle.
What I noticed that this is a forward motion rubber, if you hit forward it generates the spin and the pace very well. If your stroke is more upward it won't generate much speed or spin. It's a weird rubber and I think this is why it's also good for over the table loop kill shots.

Counter-looping above the table is awesome with it. Again the low angle helps and it is super insensitive to incoming spin.
Blocking is also fantastic, you basically can't miss, and even the extremely spiny opening loops can be controlled. It's a good feeling that you are not pressured into doing some half-assed opening loop because you can't block your opponents spin if he takes the lead.
It never made that hiss sound when the ball slips on the rubber, it really is a master at spin control.

Touch game is pretty darn good. Insensitive for incoming spin, I don't feel it puts in much either over the table, but you can keep the balls low and short. Also you can push out sharply.
Flicks are awesome with it. My opponents must feel kinda disgusted playing against it.

Flat hitting is excellent, I think it would suit Mima Ito very well.

On backhand the medium soft version is awesome. There is a lot of difference in feeling between the hard one. It is easier to play with, it sinks in the ball and has a bit more catapult effect. But it's not the disgusting Rozena or MX-P type when it just catapults soft balls off the table. It's more of a sink into the sponge and "gentle" push and because of it over the table banana flicks are just amazing and the control is probably the best I encountered. You can basically banana flick everything.
Touch, block is amazing, you can even punch loop drives effectively. I can do opening loops on my backhand interestingly, I guess because of different movement mechanics than FH.
Loop drive is much more consistent than H3 or Rozena from every distance.

I'm a left hander so I do get into FH vs BH loop driving rallies and with this rubber the BH was really solid, I'm not scared to just let it rip.

I feel on BH it generates more spin than on FH, but to be honest I always had this weird feeling with H3 too that it's not making as much spin on FH.

Serving is not that great I think... Making short spiny serves is difficult with it. However long jumpy serves I could do very well. I think it's again similar to Chinese rubbers that you need a strong-long motion to generate lot of spin. Unlike with EU or JP rubbers where you can get away with small wrist movements. With H3 I also noticed similar things, I can't generate very spiny short serves.

Durability is excellent. I have more than 30 hours of good use in it. The only really visible marks of use are where my fingers are. The ball contacts have not caused any visible wear. But I will also add a photo of my rubbers when I get home.

I used it with Joola Flash and DHS DJ40 ABS ball, it is better with the DHS ball since it's a bit heavier and faster. I can't say I like the Joola Flash styled seamless balls but it is the most commonly used ball in my country unfortunately.

Sorry for the very long review. I hope it will be useful for some of you who are interested in it. I wonder what the players who used Rising dragon can say or confirm as similarity.

P.s: One of my Chinese friends said that on Taobao there's a pro version and a normal version for different price. She is not an expert at equipment, but I wonder if the mentioned inconsistencies are because of this?? I didn't pay attention to this until I noticed the differences and then I just got confused.
I would be surprised if Yasaka had this kind of business practice even though this is a Chinese made rubber.

What blade is yinhe viscaria clone?
alas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2021 at 11:52pm
v14 if I’m not mistaken?

Nice review in this rubber. I once used rising and shining dragon and had somewhat similar characteristics to what you described. 
-Eric
Nittaku Acoustic (Ch.Pen)
DHS Skyline TG-2 NEO
DHS Skyline 3-60
Zwill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2021 at 4:20am
I actually use the Yinhe D715. But indeed they make several Viscaria clones. I have a V14 pro as well and it is plays great. They also have the 977 and D706 as well and the D706 is a hilarious troll racket, not only copying Viscaria but Fan Zhengdong's Stiga handle too.

Edited by Zwill - 01/19/2021 at 4:21am
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2021 at 12:17am

I actually use the Yinhe D715. But indeed they make several Viscaria clones. I have a V14 pro as well and it is plays great. They also have the 977 and D706 as well and the D706 is a hilarious troll racket, not only copying Viscaria but Fan Zhengdong's Stiga handle too.

In your own experience can you describe V14 pro? Never used a viscaria.
Zwill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2021 at 5:14am
Well I have tried many Viscaria, older ones, holo lens (not black tag), Boll spirits, ALCs, and Zhang Jike Dragon ALCs. These blades should be pretty much the same except for the handle. The variation between them is so huge that it is mind blowing. Newer Viscarias and Boll ALCs feel stiffer, faster and give little control feedback, I guess better for backhand. Old Boll Spirits feel soft and flexy with nice feeling, but on hard shots due to the flex the control suffers otherwise their control is better. The V14 pro is like in the middle of these characteristics, bit flexy good vibrations and decent speed. It really plays well I think.

The head shape is a bit different the bottom is wider and I think it's a bit longer too than standard butterfly sizing.
Apart from the obvious price advantage of the V14 the biggest plus for me is that Yinhe handles are better for me.

The biggest disadvantage is that the build quality is inferior to Butterfly. I was not careful enough removing rubbers and had some splinters come off. It's super annoying when it happens. This did not happen on my D-715 though.

I guess the forums have million reviews about the mentioned butterfly blades so you can make the comparison.
nachalnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nachalnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2021 at 9:45pm
I love the Shining Dragon. The top sheet doesn’t lose tack whatsoever. Spin is incredible and it’s really good for serves. For $29 on megaspin, there’s no downside 
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2021 at 10:42pm

Well I have tried many Viscaria, older ones, holo lens (not black tag), Boll spirits, ALCs, and Zhang Jike Dragon ALCs. These blades should be pretty much the same except for the handle. The variation between them is so huge that it is mind blowing. Newer Viscarias and Boll ALCs feel stiffer, faster and give little control feedback, I guess better for backhand. Old Boll Spirits feel soft and flexy with nice feeling, but on hard shots due to the flex the control suffers otherwise their control is better. The V14 pro is like in the middle of these characteristics, bit flexy good vibrations and decent speed. It really plays well I think.

The head shape is a bit different the bottom is wider and I think it's a bit longer too than standard butterfly sizing.
Apart from the obvious price advantage of the V14 the biggest plus for me is that Yinhe handles are better for me.

The biggest disadvantage is that the build quality is inferior to Butterfly. I was not careful enough removing rubbers and had some splinters come off. It's super annoying when it happens. This did not happen on my D-715 though.

I guess the forums have million reviews about the mentioned butterfly blades so you can make the comparison.

Is D715 similar to V14Pro?
Zwill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2021 at 1:53am
Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

Is D715 similar to V14Pro?

Slightly different head shape, but very similar.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2021 at 3:09pm
Hmmm...not sure if I'd rather have a Rising Dragon, a Shining Dragon, or a Hovering Dragon.  I think I'll go with a Shining Dragon.  
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
waingro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waingro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2021 at 2:57pm
OP, did you boost it? The edges are lifting up in the photo. 

The sponge you got is definitely made in Japan, because those are not simplified Chinese characters. 

Yes, there are two versions of this rubber in China: Regular and "Special" 特制.  Special is ~7 USD more expensive and supposed to have better performance and is supposedly what pros use. Fang Bo made a video promoting this rubber. 

Edited by waingro - 12/12/2021 at 3:27pm
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2021 at 3:45pm
thanks for the review Zwill!

D715 is sold by prott as a golden VIS clone - how do you like it?  You try pro-01, pro-01x, or D706?
Zwill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2021 at 5:15pm
@waingro
I have not boosted it, but I think it has factory boost. The rubber does shrink similarly as ESN rubbers even though not so much. The durability is still fantastic, much better than ESN rubbers. Now I see the black version has a blue sponge too if anyone cares about that.

@chronos
D715 I like very much. Really high quality blade, it stacks up well with BTY quality. I haven't tried the Pro01 or D706 but I have a V14 Pro and tried like 4-5 Viscarias that other players have and I have a Boll Spirit  too and tried a few other Boll Spirits and ALC too. I would pick up the D715 any day over the tested BTY blades. I really like the handle shape and it is less stiff than new Viscarias and not so flexy as old Boll Spirits. It's around 1450Hz freq @90g so very on spec to Viscaria.

I did try Rising Dragon, YRD is not in the same ballpark as Hovering dragon. Doesn't have the speed, nor spin and it's quite a bit heavier too.

I now play with Dignics 09c and D64 on an innerfoce zlc, and I like it a lot but I wouldn't shy away to use hovering dragon on my D715, it was really fun and while dignics needs a lot of effort the hovering dragons are really polite rubbers. I wonder how they would work on an innerfoce blade. But Hovering dragon is better against good players the same way as dignics. Against weak and weird players they can be a stuggle (same with H3 to be honest) but against good players they really reward.
Joola Zhou Qihao S-ALC 90
Mizuno Q Quality max
Mizuno Q Quality max
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic