Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tips and suggestions welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quinten View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips and suggestions welcome
    Posted: 01/19/2021 at 4:22pm
Good day I just started playing again last March. I bought a new table and a Newgy robot to put in the garage. During this pandemic it has been a wonderful distraction. I played a bit back in the early '90s and was able to train with some very high level players, but I never played in leagues. So now I learn from YouTube. I made a video this weekend of me doing a basic FH loop drive and BH smash. ?? I would love some critique. So let it rip. Anything is open from equipment, style, stance, arm movement, body movement, angles, and even all the crap in my garage. My equipment went from Donic Persson Power Allaround, to Yasaka Ma Lin Soft carbon, to Butterfly Innerforce Layer ALC with Yasaka Shining Dragon on both sides. I know prolly to fast but I needed to see what the hype was all about and I knew enough not to get the Viscaria and Tenergy 05. (That stuff is crazy bouncy for me). I also put together a Shining Dragon forehand, and an 802-40 SP backhand on a clone similar to my IF trying to understand how Mima Ito uses the short pips.  Well here's the video. (I think)
Thanks Quinten

Edited by Quinten - 01/19/2021 at 4:31pm
Quinten

Sponsored Links

Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2021 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Quinten Quinten wrote:

Good day I just started playing again last March. I bought a new table and a Newgy robot to put in the garage. During this pandemic it has been a wonderful distraction. I played a bit back in the early '90s and was able to train with some very high level players, but I never played in leagues. So now I learn from YouTube. I made a video this weekend of me doing a basic FH loop drive and BH smash. ?? I would love some critique. So let it rip. Anything is open from equipment, style, stance, arm movement, body movement, angles, and even all the crap in my garage. My equipment went from Donic Persson Power Allaround, to Yasaka Ma Lin Soft carbon, to Butterfly Innerforce Layer ALC with Yasaka Shining Dragon on both sides. I know prolly to fast but I needed to see what the hype was all about and I knew enough not to get the Viscaria and Tenergy 05. (That stuff is crazy bouncy for me). I also put together a Shining Dragon forehand, and an 802-40 SP backhand on a clone similar to my IF trying to understand how Mima Ito uses the short pips.  Well here's the video. (I think)
Thanks Quinten

Larry, you couldn't wait for Spttc to reopen I see. 
ustabletennisresults.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/408008237063185
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2021 at 7:18am
hey, your backhand punch looks very clean. The only thing that you should change quickly before it becomes a bad habit is your forehand swing. The swing goes way to much upwards. Try to swing more forwards.
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2021 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

hey, your backhand punch looks very clean. The only thing that you should change quickly before it becomes a bad habit is your forehand swing. The swing goes way to much upwards. Try to swing more forwards.

Good point about the forehand I wonder if you are a bit close to the table maybe?.

Edited by ghostzen - 01/20/2021 at 8:30am
Quinten View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2021 at 10:52am
Good stuff. I noticed that also. I think it's left over from working a lot on looping backspin last week. Question? If I was receiving an underspin ball (Which I am not) in a similar scenario to this, would my arm angle be upright such as this? I went and hit balls yesterday with the same scenario in the video and I made sure my paddle was splitting my eyebrows. Thanks
Quinten

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2021 at 4:28pm

Good stuff. I noticed that also. I think it's left over from working a lot on looping backspin last week. Question? If I was receiving an underspin ball (Which I am not) in a similar scenario to this, would my arm angle be upright such as this? I went and hit balls yesterday with the same scenario in the video and I made sure my paddle was splitting my eyebrows. Thanks

I think you have a problem similar to one of mine.  Basically your elbow is staying too low and this limits the upward and forward motion of the stroke.  Yours is a more old school driving technique.  But because you are trying to spin the ball like a loop you lose the forward motion of the forearm that that older technique utilized.

If you go to the pingskills.com video on looping against block they describe finishing with the elbow up near shoulder height and slightly in front of the body.  The forearm finishes angled around 45deg relative to the floor and the racket finishes slightly past the face.  In your case the elbow finishes just above the waist (about where it started in ready position). Your forearm finishes at almost a 90deg angle to the floor and the racket is well to the right of your head.

One of the first fixes to try is to relax your arm more as you swing.  If the arm is relaxed the momentum produced by the hip turn will naturally cause the elbow and hand to continue to a higher and more forward finish.   If like me you are just naturally stiff you may need to (at least until it becomes habit) think about pushing the elbow up and forward at ball contact so you do not interfere with the natural movement.  Some people focus more on the forearm rather than the elbow.  In that case they think about moving the hand up and forward like they were going to slap the face of a person standing in front of them.   That motion will pull the elbow up and forward into the desired finish position and carry the racket slightly past your face.

So why is the finish important since the ball has already left the racket?  It is important because it gives an indication of what was happening at impact.  Your finish indicates that near impact there is a dramatic change between forward and vertical motion of the racket.  Also the forward motion is limited in length.  These two things mean your timing must be very precise to replicate your shot.  Having the forward and upward motion both being more consistent through a longer range of motion allows your timing to be a little off and still hit with both the forward and upward motion you intended thus producing the ball trajectory you wanted.  In your case being a little early with the swing means contacting with less forward impact resulting in balls going into the net.  If your timing is late,  you get full forward impact but very little upward motion to generate spin.  Thus the balls tend to fly long.

I am a big fan of the pingskills videos especially for lower level players.  I think they try to present a simplified stroke that may not employ world class technique, but is very sound and can be accomplished by players who are not training everyday with strong coaching.

Sorry for being so long winded. 

Warning: I am not a high level player or coach so if you get contradictory info from one of either please ignore me.

Mark
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2021 at 5:29pm
Hi Quinten
 you are doing ok , and you moving to the ball and not reaching which is good, the robot can allow you to try exact shots/strokes as you know the landing spots

To use the robot better try to look at it like an opposition and say aim the backhand to different places and do some spin ones and soft blocks, while on the forehand side aim down the line at times, wait a bit and loop one, or do do three forehands in a row then back the to the backhand/forehand routine 
sometimes smack the forehand and think of it as some game practice
Rodney a qualified coach 
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2021 at 6:10pm
Can't see anything at all
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2021 at 6:49pm

If you use the same technique against backspin, then the ball would go on the table. But in the long run this is also not good, as your ball will lack quality. By looping upwards so much, the ball would just go high and short, which would result in a weak attack. Try to go more forward as mentioned before. To get over the backspin, you use ur legs. Start low and move upwards with your legs.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2021 at 8:40pm
Your forehand swing is basically by swinging your arm alone without moving the body. Keep doing that, tennis elbow might be on  the way.

When you back swing, push your left foot and relax your arm for a back swing. For the forehand loop, push your right foot, and relax your arm before hitting the ball.

Edited by kindof99 - 01/20/2021 at 8:42pm
Quinten View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2021 at 11:57pm
Thanks guys for all great help. I will work on these suggestions from all. I will focus on relaxing prior to stroke, engaging the lower body, and arm angle. Also use the programs in my robot for more game like experience. I hope to post another video for an update later on. 
Q
Quinten

colenikol View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colenikol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2021 at 2:09pm
Nice. I've used to play as a kid at schools. Since then just occasionally about once a year. 

From what I've seen, you've been playing. Nevertheless, its always good when found some tips to remember 

Hope I'll have time to practice and get good as you. Have a self made table, a paddle and a ball. 
Think it is enough for me to improve my play?

Edited by colenikol - 02/25/2021 at 2:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic