Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Serve brushing technique

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
oldcpen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcpen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serve brushing technique
    Posted: 01/23/2021 at 2:30pm
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2021 at 4:48pm
When we want very thin contact in the regular pendulum serve, we may have a very loose 3 fingers grip and after contact the violent swing makes the handle bump into the wrist and bounce back but the ball is already gone at this point. We can maybe say if the blade retracts it means the swing was very strong but it's not a primary factor, just a side effect.
Of course tight grips can achieve thin contact too and then the blade won't retract but it's harder in my case. Anyway the abrupt stop -and-retract comes from the handle hitting the wrist at the end of the swing. 
Another even simpler reason - probably the main one - is the wrist folded as much as it could and at the end of the swing, it does not have anywhere to go but to come back with a quick spring effect, giving the impression that the bounce back is an active part of the serve when it's just a side effect after the ball has already left the paddle.
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2021 at 11:54pm
The idea is that if you stop abruptly, your wrist will fly forward at an increased velocity like a whip.  This type of serve is not easy to pull off, especially when you are nervous.  If your timing is off, weird things can happen very easily. 
oldcpen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcpen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2021 at 1:26am
> your wrist will fly forward at an increased velocity like a whip
Agree !
The paddle too !
For this brushing technique to be effective, wrist must be relaxed,
hold the paddle like holding a bird: not too tight, not too loose.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2021 at 6:18am
I actually disagree with the violent wrist whip, it can be used for some critical points, but if you do it all the time you tire out your forearm muscles which will affect everything negatively.

For most of my serves I try to just use more of the body and weight transfer for the power, and then just relax the arm and followthrough naturally. It's about 90% as spinny as the wrist whip version but much more sustainable 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2021 at 12:42pm
I didn't write the violent wrist whip is necessary, I just meant when the blade retracts, the wrist whip was very strong.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic