FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

TT return diary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TT return diary
    Posted: 11/15/2021 at 12:00am
This thread started as a review but turned into TT comeback of sorts.

Hurricane 3-50 review

EDIT: don't buy H350 if you will try the same sheet on more than one blade.  The bond between the topsheet and the sponge is weak.  This is similar to the H8. These new styled rubbers have failed in my personal experiences.  

---

I did a search here for this rubber and didn't see a review so I thought I would start one here.

point 1. price

Stuff buying butterfly.  I first bought a DHS H3-50 37 degrees off ebay for under $40 AU.  After liking it enough I bought 4 sheets from Aliexpress for about $31 delivered.  That means I get 4 sheets for the price of one Dignics bla bla.  (I haven't tried them out yet but these ones are 35 degrees = softer.)

point 2.  reputation/common ideas

General consensus says do not combine euro sponge with Chinese tack.  I do agree to a point.  But this tack and dwell makes for a seriously spinny rubber and can be 'de-dwelled' have the dwell lowered by a fast blade.  It still is high throw as hell, but my back hand can deal with it.  

point 3. my actual thoughts after playing a few weeks with it.

Background:  I used to always end up using grippy Japanese or Euro rubbers.

Service is off the charts EXCELLENT.  There is no need for a high toss when you have such tackiness (picks up the ball off the table in the first 50 hours of play) and softness.  The ball digs into the rubber + the tack and allows more spin than most people are used to.

Similarly pushing backspin and sidespin off service return is its second bit of perfection.  It is springier than hard chinese rubbers but for me, similar to the serves, I can produce way more backspin than people are used to opening up on.  I find it easy to keep it short and low.

Backhand flicking/looping almost any type of ball low over the table is a breeze and also a ball dropping lower than the table will never ever slip off your rubber.  THIS RUBBER HAS TEETH - it is not though as the back of the package says 'low throw'.  It is extremely easy to take balls near ground and fish them up.

I found it very easy to block any spinny loop attacks because the rubber bites on it and reverses the spin so well.

I won't comment on forehand looping because forehand has gone to sleep with any rubber I tried (I haven't played for about 10 years)

I can however forehand flick/slap almost any type of ball with this rubber easily over the table too.  So it is magic in service receive.  These are light rubbers so make it easy on the wrist types of shots.

Flat hitting, this is as good as it gets with a tacky rubber.  You can smash because its so soft its all about the blade you use.  

I have tried this rubber on many blades now.  I am biased because I tend to always end up with fast carbon blades.  Because of the dwell time in the rubber, similar to tenergy etc.  I believe you want much less dwell so therefore carbon offensive blades suit my style.  Otherwise this will be stupid spinny but not give you the chance to punch or smash through it.

Annoyances, like all tacky rubbers you have to wash them often.  Unlike non tacky which I always used to breathe a bit of moisture onto and softly wipe on my shirt between games... but really there is so much grip and tack that lasts even when they are covered in dust.

I can't wait to get my new sheets on backhand and forehand on a carbon blade once my recent injury goes away.  

I will update this post with any other thoughts.

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 03/27/2022 at 7:40am
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
Sponsored Links

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2021 at 12:16am
Interesting. I know a really good player who plays a budget setup of primorac carbon + Hurricane 8 on both wings. 

Most complaints about the Hurricane is their slow speed, their advantages in service, short game and spin generation are unrivalled. So using carbon blades would offset this weakness to a large deal. 

I actually tried his setup, and it was really good especially in the close table (mid distance I still think the Dignics sponge gives it a huge advantage)

My real beef with the Hurricane series is that it plays really well for the first 2 months and then it dies off in performance fast (loses tackiness, sponge becomes hard). On the contrary, Dignics rubber lasts almost a year easily without much reduced performance. So in the end it costs almost the same imo if you take into consideration how much you change rubbers. If there was a Hurricane that lasts for ages, I would change to this carbon + DHS tacky rubbers in a heartbeat.
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2021 at 12:32am
This series of Hurricanes 3-50 8-80 etc have a different sponge.  So I highly doubt they will go hard when they don't seem to have been tuned like the neos.    Also remember the 3-50 is soft as hell and it is not going to get harder, it actually feels like its softened up even more since I have hit into it more.  It almost felt like when it was brand new I was popping the stiffness out of it in each shot.  And the sound hitting the blade and the tack sound together is just magic.

The tackiness wearing off makes little difference when they seem to be still tacky enough/grippy when the ball goes in mechanically too.  

I actually have a brand new primorac carbon I want to try these on.  Although I love the Michael maze I think the harder the better... anyway will report in a couple of weeks.

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 11/15/2021 at 12:37am
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2021 at 4:10am
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

This series of Hurricanes 3-50 8-80 etc have a different sponge.  So I highly doubt they will go hard when they don't seem to have been tuned like the neos.    Also remember the 3-50 is soft as hell and it is not going to get harder, it actually feels like its softened up even more since I have hit into it more.  It almost felt like when it was brand new I was popping the stiffness out of it in each shot.  And the sound hitting the blade and the tack sound together is just magic.

The tackiness wearing off makes little difference when they seem to be still tacky enough/grippy when the ball goes in mechanically too.  

I actually have a brand new primorac carbon I want to try these on.  Although I love the Michael maze I think the harder the better... anyway will report in a couple of weeks.

I'll be really interested in your experiment with those! I might wanna try it out too haha... Dignics on both sides on some inner ALC blade is great but it's really expensive to replace the rubbers....
-------
Viscaria

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2021 at 5:07am
blah,  the 8-80 I would love to try on my forehand but it is rarer to find and I think $10 more.  It does come in a harder version of the same sponge.  I say that because I believe a lot of people would not like  such softness on their forehand in particular, especially coming from that dignics 09c or whatever its called...

You know where I am at though with my H3 choice.

$260 vs $62  

If you are division 1, and the sport is extremely important to you, I respect dignics ...  For me in my life right now, no way.  I got expensive blades from over 10 years ago like have doubled in price that I would never buy at the prices today, and will never have to buy another blade again...  

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 11/15/2021 at 5:15am
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2021 at 4:59pm

blah,  the 8-80 I would love to try on my forehand but it is rarer to find and I think $10 more.  It does come in a harder version of the same sponge.  I say that because I believe a lot of people would not like  such softness on their forehand in particular, especially coming from that dignics 09c or whatever its called...

You know where I am at though with my H3 choice.

$260 vs $62  

If you are division 1, and the sport is extremely important to you, I respect dignics ...  For me in my life right now, no way.  I got expensive blades from over 10 years ago like have doubled in price that I would never buy at the prices today, and will never have to buy another blade again...  

You make a really excellent case - I think I'm gonna give this a go soon too! So something like primorac carbon + H3-50 on BH and H8-80 on the FH?
-------
Viscaria

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2021 at 2:28am
Everyone's ability is different.

I am not sure about my forehand yet because I need time to find the right counter looping or at least looping a block consistantly stroke before I can say I would settle on this rubber.  

My backhand has always been versatile with what it can play with.  The tenergies I loved so much, and as you say last a long time, (the surface grip doesn't, but the mechanical dwell does.)  I find I can counter loop with my backhand right at the table with 3-50 and much further back especially with a faster solid blade.  I think I have more spin and looping ability or at least equal to a tenergy type, but probably a little less catapult which is fine with me.

There is a review of the 8-80 on this site... 

I won't hedge my bets on 3-50 as my final FH choice until my forehand is consistant with it and then I have tried one of these hard sponged tacky cheapish rubbers on FH for a bit.  If the hard makes no difference then I will settle on this 3-50 since it already does excell in many other areas over hard tacky types on my forehand.

I WILL PRAY TO THE FOREHAND KILL, AND FOREHAND COUNTER LOOPING GODS, to bestow back to me those powers which I have lost and only injure me now. 

Ouch

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 11/16/2021 at 2:55am
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2021 at 7:56am
Did you try skyline 3-60? It’s better on fh then 3-50
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2021 at 6:37am
Nope, I haven't tried it.  I am in a non-EJ mood too for rubbers currently, so I doubt I will try anything else for some time.  All I know is I put one of the new batch of H3-50 on and I can't tell the difference between 37 and 35 degrees because the 37 is used and the 35 is new and stiffer.  I had a brief soft hit with these on my ishlion and keep feeling the same thing, I want nothing slower than this blade...  The faster blade the better.  And the primorac carbon might be faster than the ishlion or it might just be heavier.  Not sure yet.  I know  looking at the blades side by side the ishlion is thinner, but also has a thinner sheet of wood before the carbon.  

Looking at this chart confirms my thoughts... (look at the top right top corner to find them.)

PC is much 'faster' but slightly 'softer'

In conclusion, not just post speed glue era, the new ball to me feels like a double post speed glue era.

Since I played 10 years ago actively, I am trying to find some type of compensation for speed and spin I think...  The H3-50 feels way more spinny than tenergy but slow, so I need to speed it up some how.

As commented, this series does lose tack, and I am thinking that to remedy that slightly to just play with the same side mostly for anything non crucial when possible.  Meaning, warm ups and training to one side, I will try to use the same side/older rubber.  That rubber will be in more crucial situations my backhand (less tacky/more punchy) and my non-service side.

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 11/18/2021 at 7:27am
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Zwill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2021 at 4:32pm
I think H3-50 or normal H3 Neo doesn't lose tack if you apply the plastic sheet to it and you clean it after every training session. It remains tacky as hell for months.

But indeed H3-50 is slower than Tenergy but it enables you to swing harder which has several advantages.
Also over the table touch and control is better than tenegy.
The 35 degree softer version is really good.
Joola Zhou Qihao S-ALC 90
Mizuno Q Quality max
Mizuno Q Quality max
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2021 at 12:33am
Zwill, I don't know about months... I had bits stick to the top sheet I couldn't clean and tried the hand soap squirt machine liquid to get the gunk off.  After that I lost some of the sheen and tack.  Maybe hand soaps are too strong?  

Another note.  Because I now own 5 sheets of h3-50 I have my ishlion with the original black 37 and a new red 35.  And I put one new 35 degree on the 'versal' TSP blade... but with red short pips (RITC friendship 802 max sponge) on the other side.  Bizzare I can play similar strokes and twiddle at least against my daughter's dribbly shots.  The SP is surprisingly grippy for a SP.  Obviously not going to brush the strokes the same...  I like the short pips on the forehand because they are faster on this balsa blade.  Not bad for a $15 AU rubber.  I reckon I could beat most players at division 2 with this on the forehand.

The SP on any other faster blade feels too fast or makes me feel like only blocking and hoping.

hmmmmm...

EDIT:  I played more with the short pips and find them uncontrollable compared to inverted for blocking attacks.  Ripped it off right away.  The short pips were really unpredictable in blocking, too fast too long too high.... not for me.

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 11/20/2021 at 4:09am
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
BlackCat510 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackCat510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2021 at 6:26pm
Is the Hurricane 3-50 slower than the Hurricane 3 Neo? I’m considering buying one for my dad, to put on an All blade (Stiga Allround classic or something similar). He tried my Hurricane 3 Neo and found it too fast (possibly because of the hard sponge, he’s used to soft classic rubbers). Would the softer sponged Hurricane 3-50 be a more comfortable choice, with it keeping the skinny, tacky topsheet?

Would the softer sponge give more control and dwell, or be even speedier but through ‘catapult tensor speed’ as opposed to ‘hard sponge speed’? How is it for chopping?

Thanks very much for all responses.
Blade: Xiom Power Hinoki (J-pen)
Fh: Nittaku Fastarc G1 (Red, 2.0mm)
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2021 at 8:01pm
I tried a neo a lonnnnnnngggggg time ago, I couldn't adjust to it from tenergy... Back then I found all Chinese rubbers too hard.  Having said that I am pretty sure it's 'slower'.  It is doesn't seem to catapult for me much compared to tensors or tenergy either.  It is unboosted, I believe it will depend how you glue this.  My first sheets I rolled them out conservatively.  My last two sheets I am gluing right this minute and plan to try to stretch them as much as possible to see if I can more tension into it and see if the glue will actually hold that tension.  I don't chop, but they push really nicely, but I'd say with a bit more bounce than hard rubbers.  

I find that speed you put in to the stroke and the blade you use is the speed you get out.

Hence I am putting this on the last blade I have never tried in my cupboard:  a primora carbon... so that I can speed blocks and returns more passively from a distance.  I'd hate to be stuck with these on a slow blade because you will want to make sure everything is an active shot since it will just come back slow with the tack and softness.  (might frustrate lower levels but make it too easy for a good player to kill your blocks.)

I still don't know if I recommend this on forehand because my forehand technique is currently poor.  

it won't break the bank if you get a sheet either.  

Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2021 at 11:29pm
I tried Tibhar K1 plus to replace my 09c coz I didn't like paying butterfly prices anymore, and it surprised me pleasantly, it also has the boosted hurricane effect, is even better than 09c close table but 09c sponge is unbeatable in spin and power further from the table. But these sort of cancel each other out. Most importantly it's half the price of a 09c! 

I'll probably try the recently released Tibhar K3 soon to replace my 05 (paying $100+ for rubbers is just a bad deal)

Edited by blahness - 11/20/2021 at 11:56pm
-------
Viscaria

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2021 at 2:08am
I bet there are lots of good rubbers out there close enough to tenergy and dignics.  I also agree there is something special about that spring sponge and the topsheets.  I just refuse to pay more much more than budget at all... 

I had another 2 hour session today with 2 players.  Sadly, my injury started niggle more and more.  All I will say here is that Hurricane 3-50 on the backhand on the primorac carbon is grippy and tacky enough to make a good player block and attack my loops off the table due to the spin.  On the forehand the primorac carbon was really fast at blocking fast attacks that I get my hand to making it much harder a second follow up.   And this guy that was attacking shot a hell of a lot past me faster than I can put my eyes to...  I did block some right off the table but man, this guy could really slog into them and anyone would be lucky to have a bat in the right place for those.

We only played two games after practising for an hour and half.  And we were 50/50 in the end because I could serve him off or sidespin push or back hand loop well.  Not bad for me not having a forehand stroke attack at all.

He really struggled with my serves even after that long of me giving him my best ones to practise against.  Hurricane 3-50 is still one of the best serving rubbers I have ever touched.  I didn't even give him half of my serves because I dont want him to lob them up by accident to my forehand... I can't attack them third ball because of my injury...

Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2021 at 3:57am

I bet there are lots of good rubbers out there close enough to tenergy and dignics.  I also agree there is something special about that spring sponge and the topsheets.  I just refuse to pay more much more than budget at all... 

I had another 2 hour session today with 2 players.  Sadly, my injury started niggle more and more.  All I will say here is that Hurricane 3-50 on the backhand on the primorac carbon is grippy and tacky enough to make a good player block and attack my loops off the table due to the spin.  On the forehand the primorac carbon was really fast at blocking fast attacks that I get my hand to making it much harder a second follow up.   And this guy that was attacking shot a hell of a lot past me faster than I can put my eyes to...  I did block some right off the table but man, this guy could really slog into them and anyone would be lucky to have a bat in the right place for those.

We only played two games after practising for an hour and half.  And we were 50/50 in the end because I could serve him off or sidespin push or back hand loop well.  Not bad for me not having a forehand stroke attack at all.

He really struggled with my serves even after that long of me giving him my best ones to practise against.  Hurricane 3-50 is still one of the best serving rubbers I have ever touched.  I didn't even give him half of my serves because I dont want him to lob them up by accident to my forehand... I can't attack them third ball because of my injury...

Yeah I'm still investigating various D05/T05 replacement options... butterfly is just becoming like the Apple of the TT world, and I don't wanna keep paying premium prices lol. After thinking about it more primorac carbon would probably prove to be too low spin/hard for my tastes compared to something like hurricane long 5 which is just has amazing dwell with the correct rubber combos (preferably something really spinny). I rely too much on high dwell techniques like chiquita, sideswipes, hook pushes/flicks, sidespin loops, active blocks and pretty much do not hit flat at all (except for maybe smashes). I actually play better with the long 5 than the viscaria too due to the increased dwell.

Idk about your FH, but you might wanna see if you can change your technique to something smoother and easier on the body? I had to modify my FH and BH technique to use almost 0 wrist (due to a wrist injury), and it has worked quite well so far.

Edited by blahness - 11/21/2021 at 3:59am
-------
Viscaria

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2021 at 8:42pm
I would never suggest buying a primorac carbon... I just had one in my cupboard from when I bought like a whole heap of blades to get discounts a long time ago... thankfully I sold most except a few still I had no compulsion to try.  

For the record.  Timo Boll is using the Primorac Carbon at the next world championships.

Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
BlackCat510 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackCat510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2021 at 4:10pm
How is the durability of the Hurricane 3-50? Does the topsheet‘s tackiness and grippiness last as long as the Hurricane 3 Neo‘s topsheet (I think it’s the same?) I have heard bad things about the Hurricane 3-50 durability, but I wasn’t sure if those complaints were aesthetic or complaints about the rubber’s playing characteristics.
Blade: Xiom Power Hinoki (J-pen)
Fh: Nittaku Fastarc G1 (Red, 2.0mm)
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2021 at 4:38pm
The sheen / tack wears off in about 50 hours.  The grip is still there.  The topsheet feels more durable than the classic ESN types.  I feel the rubber will be playable for a good 6 months, and for people not used to Chinese style tackiness it feels like a decent rubber when it is worn in a bit.  

I am thinking to buy just a new sheet for each new tournament, so that I can have one side for maximum spinny serves and heavy pushes.  The worn side is fine for me and plays like a euro rubber.

I have also bought a sheet of plain hurricane 8 39 degrees ($30 AU off ebay on special) to try on my forehand... should arrive in a week, and I should be mostly recovered from my injury to start swinging my forehand again.  

stay tuned.  
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
comodoensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comodoensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2021 at 9:42pm
H3-50 in 35 degree is a good one for backhand. Unboosted, there's some tensor/high-tension/speed-glue-effect 'click' sound 🔊🔊🔊

Whenever one who stands across the table hears the 'sound', they shall prepare for incoming quality balls rushing through 😂😂😂

P.S. : slap it on a blade with limba top ply, or something that has the 'hollow'/'transparent' feeling like Stiga's, and it'll be louder 😂😂😂

Edited by comodoensis - 12/04/2021 at 9:46pm
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2021 at 12:22am
As for sound and softness, a very long time ago I used Donic F3 Big Slam, and I still haven't felt or heard anything that extreme.  The H3-50 is also at the right softness before you can't peal it off the blade without doing it in pieces.  

Another note.  I just put on my Hurrican 8 (not 80) version.  It is not as tacky as the H3-50 and it was in a sealed plastic too.  It is according to DHS suppose to be tackier than H3 and H2 neos.  Sponge had slight creases not a big deal to the front.  

I will report later how it actually plays.  

EDIT 1

Wholly molly, playing with hurricane 8 is like my forehand loop just came back.  This is a 40 degree version and it does not feel hard at all.  Feels just right in a kind of T05 kind of way.   

EDIT 2

Had a bit more mild hit with the H8 and I can basically say this is a better forehand rubber than H3-50 for sure.  It's just got that more forward power kick...and it feels more linear and stable.  Meaning the hardness gives varying degrees a more gradual stroke. Unlike the H3-50 which seems a bit more unpredictable to me. I had a bit of play on backhand with H8 and it feels more aggressive but I did miss a few while changing in the stroke.  So the stroke is different for both these rubbers for some types of shots at least.  I won't entertain H8 on the backhand untill I have worn out these H3-50 sheets I now own.

EDIT 3

Spent a couple of hours with Versal H8 and H3-50... The H8 feels great on the VERSAL, but the H3-50 feels too slow on this blade as mentioned earlier.  It's nice having two different throwing rubbers to mix it up against opponents so I don't think for now I'd buy another H8 and use H8 on both sides of the VERSAL.

Surprisingly the new H8 sheet seems to produce spinnier balls when counter looping against topspin than my only slightly older H3-50.  The H3-50 seems to create a greater variety of topspin variation since sometimes I find I have to punch drive the ball more just to get it over the net.   

Next is to try the faster blades with H8 on the forehand.  

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 12/07/2021 at 9:53pm
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2021 at 2:01pm
THE HORROR, THE SHOCK, THE UTTER DISBELIEF!

I went to remove the hurricane 8 from the versal and the glue had really stuck it down way too much.  I got about half of it off and then the sponge tore.

Cry

I was so happy with it till then.

Now I was thinking again about the sponge.  It seemed to me to be similar to the F3 bigslam sponge but much denser.  

These new non VOC glues really hold on unvarnished blades at least.  I recently had to rub off in tiny crumbs an f3 sponge...  But this H8 only had a few hours of play on it, making this the most dissapointing experience to date!

I can now say that the H3-50 sponge, although softer, is stronger since I have moved them around on different blades with the same glues.

SAD as F*&k

Would I buy another H8?  that's the question... if I do it must go on one blade till it is worn.

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 12/08/2021 at 2:50pm
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Zwill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2021 at 3:55pm
Use DHS No 15 glue. It's really a nice glue, never had any trouble with it. Never a single wood splinter, never a torn sponge and it's very easy to remove from sponges as well. It doesn't have a nasty smell and is one of the cheapest glues out there. There's really not much not to like about it.
Joola Zhou Qihao S-ALC 90
Mizuno Q Quality max
Mizuno Q Quality max
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2021 at 3:56pm

THE HORROR, THE SHOCK, THE UTTER DISBELIEF!

I went to remove the hurricane 8 from the versal and the glue had really stuck it down way too much.  I got about half of it off and then the sponge tore.

Cry

I was so happy with it till then.

Now I was thinking again about the sponge.  It seemed to me to be similar to the F3 bigslam sponge but much denser.  

These new non VOC glues really hold on unvarnished blades at least.  I recently had to rub off in tiny crumbs an f3 sponge...  But this H8 only had a few hours of play on it, making this the most dissapointing experience to date!

I can now say that the H3-50 sponge, although softer, is stronger since I have moved them around on different blades with the same glues.

SAD as F*&k

Would I buy another H8?  that's the question... if I do it must go on one blade till it is worn.

That is incredibly horrific and sad! Cry May I ask which glue was it that you used to stick the rubbers? My experience with using Revolution No 3 glue has been great so far. I haven't come up with any torn sheets so far and the glue removes easily from both the sponge and the blade. Some other glues (looking at Donic and may be even Butterfly) have a really strong hold and with an unvarnished blade, there are chances that you will splinter the top ply of the blade and possibly damage the rubbers too.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2021 at 5:00pm
I used 

I-BOND
XIOM

pretty thin layer on rubber and blade...  

I just think this type of sponge is not made to be removed at all...

I also remember splinters coming off of other blades in the past, can't remember exactly which.  I know I recently lost a bit off my ishlion which would have been a part that hit the table or ground at some point and only needed a bit of help from this glue to come off.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2021 at 5:04pm

I used 

I-BOND
XIOM

pretty thin layer on rubber and blade...  

I just think this type of sponge is not made to be removed at all...

I also remember splinters coming off of other blades in the past, can't remember exactly which.  I know I recently lost a bit off my ishlion which would have been a part that hit the table or ground at some point and only needed a bit of help from this glue to come off.

So what I can say is that I have used H8 before and haven't faced this issue with Revolution No 3 and H8. I moved the H8 around quite a bit and never faced any issues as such. I would say that this has to be attributed to the glue. You might want to give Revolution No 3 a try as well. Pretty much the easiest water based glue to work with really.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2021 at 5:31pm
Just a caveat when dealing with strong bond glues:

If you think you can't peel it off only rubbing with your fingers, then try to heat the glue. Any tool as a hair dryer or heat pistol can help you to do the job. Normally the lower temperature  the harder to peel it off hence odds to rip it off raise dramatically.LOL

Edited by jonyer1980 - 12/08/2021 at 5:31pm
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2021 at 3:03am

Anub is your H8 the original one or the 80 version?   

I also wonder if it is the TSP versal fibre in the top veneer the creates a stronger bond then the sponge and topsheet.  

Jonyer thanks for the tip... That or some turpentine.  I tried to remove a topsheet just today from an old sheet of tenergy... had a dream of putting this H8 topsheet on a tenergy sponge... but dam tenergy is glued down hard.  I tried heat with iron, and boiling water but nothing... just a mess....

The original H8 sponge looks like a bit craft foam.  Was wondering if there is any difference to a sheet of 2mm apart from the .15 or whatever....  The type of stuff they make cosplay out of:

I was umming and ahring about ordering another H8 because it felt so good for that short period...

I ended up EJIng more and ordering hurricane 2 because its even cheaper...

Today I had a longer session of a few hours at the club with lots of people.... 

1.  H3-50 is as I said before great for serves and service return of balls going long off the table.  It's great at looping backspin early over the table, but I have started finding it too slow and with not enough forward kick.

2.  I started missing lots of loops that I contact really well, but just not springing forward enough / getting to the net even when relatively close to the table...  It is really starting to annoy me and I don't want to have punch the ball forward because my backhand loop is my strongest point.

3.  The fastest blade possible does not compensate in loops.  It does in hitting the ball back to the table...  In loops I want the sponge to drive the ball forward more...  So I am starting to feel annoyed with H3-50 35 sponge at least....

I am going to have to REtrial the 37 degrees again and see if that one lacks the same problems mentioned...

My strongest game right now is serving backspin to make them push it back and then open up with a backhand heavy loop. Or receive their serve, with me rolling the ball back with side top spin and then waiting to do a backhand loop off their following shot.  

My forehand sucks so bad and I am beginning to wonder if it is being hindered from improving by having too soft a forehand rubber....

I think I need to go back to the Michael Maze but with harder rubbers to kick the ball forward.

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 12/11/2021 at 3:24am
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2021 at 3:09am
use best test or Elmer's rubber cement,good bond no removal problems!
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2021 at 3:31am
Aren't they like speedglue?  VOC...
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic