FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

TT return diary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2022 at 2:27am
Had a bit of a hit with the H2 + primorac carbon with my kid... It feels good but the weight is not ideal for near the table.  I have no access to a partner or space to play from far but I know this would be amazing from far away...  The ball really kicks forward with little effort with this blade.  

The ishilion still seems to be the best (lighter with the same speed in my mind any way), but I am narrowing down to two blades still.  Ishlion will be the go to blade but I refuse to ever buy another.

I can't deny I have a soft spot for the Versal still even if I think it is too slow from a distance.  The lightness can make up for it if I whip my arm quicker, nearer the table.  I got my fingers crossed that the 38 degrees Hurricane 2 plays better on the versal than the 39 and 40 degrees H2 / H8 I have been loving the feeling of.  The harder the rubber is to hit through into the blade, the more reward of solid blade I feel I deserve.

I highly doubt the Versal will feel too slow with a sheet of brand new 05 against strong players on the other side.

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 01/11/2022 at 2:35am
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
Sponsored Links

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2022 at 5:39am
After inheriting two sheets of 1 year old dignics 09c I think I might not need to buy anything for the forehand.  Looking at the sponge, 09c is noticably thinner than my H2 boosted sponge...  Yet it plays pretty dam well.  It does not feel like it bottoms out at all, on the Versal at least anyway.  The hardness seems to be well designed as a result.

I sprayed canola oil on the 09c and it seems to be a bit better after (not scientific)...

There is no question 09c is a special breed of its own.  The catapult is noticable and I find I only need do a simple compact stroke to get it going where I want.  GREAT!

The most noticable thing is this.

I put plastic protectors on my good rubbers.  When the hurricanes are brand new they stick with no air/white noticable.. ie the protector sticks flush.. Same with washing with water.  The water just falls right off the top sheet when new.  When getting worn the water stays on the surface.

These much older and used 09c are therefore noticably smoother after a year!  Because the water does not sit on the rubber and the protectors sit flush to the surface....

So they are right.  09c lasts are mofo long time.  

The hurricanes I believe use a final vulcanisation layer which wears away quickly.  

I am guessing 09c does not... Its just a through and through the same high quality rubber.

One thing I am not sure about this old black sheet is the topsheet can be pealed back near the handle... So not sure if it is age or quality on that part of the combination.

I may buy 09c when I spend longer with these inherited sheets.  

(I would not get rid of Hurricane 2 on one side because Hurricane is superior in service, brushing loops  and short game still)...

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 01/22/2022 at 5:55am
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2022 at 10:25pm
Played about 2 hours today with Simon who is roughly somewhere between division 1 and 2 at our club.  We were roughly 50/50 on game score and we are basically opposite wings for strengths in the usual attacking style.  

His forehand is strong my  backhand is strong.

The point of this post is more about using 09c which I started trying more on both sides of the Versal today a lot more.

It is an a year old so what I say about it should be taken with a grain of salt.

I think to some degree the fact that my H2 is 2.2mm and the 09c is 2.1 makes a big difference too.  

Max Hurricane 2 is better than an old sheet of 09c on either FH or BH for counter looping.

There simple.  

09c is too low throw, not always, but overall I was clipping the net or getting nothing useful from it except an occasional flat shot and I rarely choose to do them....  

So Hurricane 2 is better for me at least, on both sides.  

I wish I had a free sheet of 05 to try again for my forehand because I don't want to pay money to decide that I don't like it as much as H2 too.

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 01/26/2022 at 10:46pm
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2022 at 1:31am
D09C is too low through ??? 😳
Thanks for this really good joke. 😂
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2022 at 1:40am
Joker has tried the Hurricane rubbers in the heading to make a comparison?   

I guess not.

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 01/27/2022 at 1:41am
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2022 at 8:50am
Oh yes, I have tested several versions of H3 (different hardness, Neo and non Neo, Commercial and Provincial) and the throw angle of D09C is higher than all of these H3 that I have tested and I don't believe that H2 will have a much higher throw than H3. Therefore the only reason for your impressions can be the fact that the D09C is already dead (too old).
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2022 at 8:21pm
Thanks for comments.  I did put the 'old' point in there in case.  Oh well... looks like I can't say I have really tried D09c then.  I know for sure it has got catapult even if it is old.  I just think I have gotten used to grazing loops and more spin than speed of boosted H2 which land a lot more on the table for me at least anyways.

I tried measuring my super boosted H2 2.2 and it looks like it's right on the 4mm border (my eyes aren't good enough to see more detail than that).  Noticably thicker than unboosted 09c.  I'd say much of the difference is there and the tack of course.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2022 at 2:22am
Hardly touched my ishlion which has red dignics09c and H8... Forgot that I put a thicker layer of canola oil on both topsheets and then put the non tacky plastic protectors on them.  

Pulled out the bat to have a hit today, and OMG both the rubbers could hold the ball upside down for a long time.  Really reconditioned, I didn't play much with the bat though because I am trying to only play with the versal now.

I will have to try the same method with the H2 because they are both getting pretty worn and have lost their ability to pick up the ball.

Does anyone know if the oil will eventually turn nasty due to the organic compounds, like start growing something or rotting?

Radi beat me roughly 10 games to 6 today, but I honestly was totally focussing on using all my weakest skills regardless of winning or losing.  

Oddly, my forehand was improving and my forehand usual pendulum, but my backhand started going down hill at about an equal amount to improvements elsewhere....

Not worried about BH because it is always close to coming back if I just take a step back a touch.

Over all a good day of play, my thrid ball FH probably improved by 30% just due to trying to use it only for as much as possible.

It's all about time spent on weaknesses and thinking about the strokes till they become natural again.

Little things peak back into the flow of play.

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 01/29/2022 at 2:30am
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2022 at 3:23am
Did an hour of play with an old sheet of F3 big slam on fh on the versal today to see if it might help...  nope.  

I could use it on my backhand but that's not the point.  All it did was ruin my short game, so in the second hour and a half I had no option but to use my back up ishlion with red d09c (much better condition) and H8.  As usual it just makes me want to play a metre + back and chillax. Fish and not go for killers with FH.    

There is no rubber solution to my FH problems.  I could buy a robot but I am not really cashed to do that and play as often as I can at the club.

Looks like I am going to be a defender on the FH side for quite a while longer...  

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 01/30/2022 at 3:24am
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2022 at 2:49am
Today was the same as yesterday pretty much.  

Only difference is tested how far I could go on focussing on my strengths.  

Accepting your weaknesses is also a way to just stop moping on them.  Just wanted to see if I could use footwork more to use my BH.  And run back quickly if it looked like I would have to go for a forehand.

And there you have fishing defensively as low as possible mostly on the FH.  

Ended up standing in the middle of the table and further to the right depending on where they serve from.  

Quite good as an occasional practise method.

When I knew they were going to keep serving to my right, I tried going to penholder grip and pulled off a few normal shots and one killer.  (one more option)  

Currently at the club the temperature is 32+ degrees C.  So other things come into play such as making sure I have a bottle of frozen water in the freezer up to half... mix water in before heading off.

This makes a huge difference in cooling down between games as an icepack on the back of the neck (noticed from the UFC).  Between taking sips from it.  

Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2022 at 5:44am
Played pretty average to bad today.  I think not having a good sleep ruins my ability to read speed, spin and trajectory of the ball a bit too much.

Bill won most the games today.  Felt like he played better than last time and or I played worse.. Bit of both.  Always tough playing his spinny backhand contrasted to his slapping short pip forehand.  

Anyhow that is the last of the old f3 on the versal.  Pulled it off after the games.

Back to double H2 on Versal.

Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2022 at 3:19am
Over the last week of play I had some random types of comments.

1. If your equipment was faster you might hit them past me more.

bla bla I have been here before and take credence from players who might be at the top of our club and if I was at the top of the club too and found that was the only decisive factor in playing... but not to someone lower.

Fact is I am starting to find my FH stroke back, and it has not improved because I have played too much with higher players not giving me the count number of attempts I need to get the angles right, or I have tried to find ways out that don't improve my weakness.

Dam it.  I was going to list more annoyances but that's the one that gets me.  

The truth is when I swing my arm like I think it should be swung (attacking with full force)  I miss like crazy.   When I feel like I baby the ball back in any shot, it bloody lands on the table.  And I just got to spend lots of time doing the baby stuff till it becomes so natural I can do it with small increments towards increasing the speed and spin on it.  There really is no other solution to this.  

Impatience is a bitch.

Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2022 at 1:50am
I was keeping the other post going that is just about returning to the sport but its gone and don't want to annoy the front page with two bloggy types of posts... 

Lucky to play 3 hours today with Eric and Shane.  Both high level players.  I have to train with the high level as much as possible.  I realise trying different strategies is key when everyone has a shot that they can win points off.  Finding out those zones to aim at and with what is key to winning even if they might have some better weapons.  

1.  I must say I started the first games off playing on my weaknesses as much as possible.  (good because I must do it an not care about winning)  and yes I lost all games to them as we alternate sitting out one game out of three.

2.  I focussed on winning.  Using my strengths, but it wasn't enough because I didn't really have a strategy or I felt I wasn't familar with a way forward.

3.  Somewhere half way through I started pushing the ball back a bit more, and then surprise I started winning some.  Basically, I allowed service return to be more defensive and then attack one or two in.  

4.  Then in the last half, I started alternating every point between all the above and I think I had my best results overall.  

It was good to give them more chances to make mistakes, but continue to do what I should do most the time too.  

I started feeling like I was getting into a new zone of sorts.  I actually used the strengths of the H2 for short pushing and more aggressive push jabs, sides spin jabs to set up a better shot to open up on.

Felt like a smarter style.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2022 at 5:02pm
Had one of my best sessions of TT in ages on Saturday afternoon.  I had about 5 strong players over 3 hours to play matches against.

As usual, my forehand sucks if I go for a kill shot still.  It's like 10% chance of doing what it should.  Roughly, 50% is hitting the edge of the blade and then hitting the opponent in the eye, and the other half going long or into the net.

I can do forehand everything else, including fishing and babying easily.  It's just the kill shot that eldudes me.  

I pray to the FH gods to allow me to kill it more.

I want to buy T05 soon for my fh and if it doesn't help I am going to be a defender.

I did very well as a defender even going 50% on games against one of the better Division 1 players out our club.  So it is not that bad.

Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2022 at 1:14am
Imo FH loopkills are not that easy tbh, you have to judge the incoming spin and location very accurately and make the corresponding adjustments to your stroke. Also the issue with FH is that the ball is farther from your eyes compared to the BH, so there's a tendency to mishit it if you're not judging the location of the ball accurately in 3D space (can be much more difficult in big open areas with poor lighting!). Footwork and leg strength is a real issue too for the FH.  In actual matches it's much better to invest in what I call a relaxed low commitment low effort consistent short stroke topspin to build up feeling for really spinning the ball before you start loopkilling stuff - imo this stroke is even more important than the loopkill, it allows you to not miss and keep the rally going and go for placement +spin variation (allowing your opponent to make the mistake instead) when you're not in a great position.

I read from one of ZJK's videos, he mentioned he trains the slow topspin taken late against awkwardly placed balls a lot, using the topspin to control the ball. He mentions that during critical moments of a game, everyone is nervous and make more mistakes than usual, that's when the spin generation ability is important because it allows you to play very safe and yet still pose huge problems for the opponent.

The ones who start loopkills from the get go are either super well trained (you won't beat them anyways), or tend to make so many unforced errors that they generally beat themselves. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2022 at 2:40pm
Perfectly summarised blahness.

Almost all my forehands that land on the table are babied or fished up with side spin and the players often miss the ball completely when they swing early at the table.

The bigger I swing the more I miss too.  Similarly, the earlier / closer to the table I am the more I miss = not having enough time to see how much the ball will dip or not dip due to the amount of spin...
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2022 at 4:10am
Man it took a month or 2 to get my 38 degrees H2 from Ali.  Now oiling it.  Rare density I guess but it looks and feels legit.

---

I have been quieter on here because I have been playing less since starting work... Only getting a day or two a week on the tables... Sad.  

I feel improvement but my fh is still shitty mostly.

As much as I planned to return to competition, I feel down that I am too tired in the evening and have a kid to care for then who I can't put through a late night before a school day.

If I get a reprieve I will jump in on fill in for fixtures because I believe competition is essential.  I have had enough mucking around with mostly the same players for long enough.  

I reckon I can beat a good share of the second division of our club.  I just am not trained up or polished to be at near the top Div 1 as I was 15 years ago.  I know I can beat the top guys but not till I have gotten back into the trench and worked hard.

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 03/19/2022 at 4:18am
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2022 at 3:50am
Good 3 hours of table tennis today.  Played 4 players.  For some reason I forced myself to play with my primorac carbon old D09c and H3-50.  

Surprisingly my forehand woke up for the first 2 hours.  I was only using the H3-50 on fh.  Mostly opening up on almost anything possible at the table was great, and I wasn't too bad from a distance with some winners...  I was quietly ecstatic in my heart...

I felt I dominated everyone I played including Bill who is my gauge.  

It was only after I started getting tired I started to lose the rhythm and the FH seemed to slowly go back to the abyss again.  

Still I believe it wasn't them playing worse but me playing well enough to close down their games.

My backhand was still there toward the end, it is quite lightning fast like a clobbering machine with the big heavy carbon and dignics.  Wouldn't buy this 09c though... One of these days I will get dignics 05 or tenergy 05....

Weird about the H3-50 being the one my fh seemed to wake up on.  Must be it's a bit more predictable and forgiving to stop going long.

I miss the lightness of the versal a little, but wondering ever so slightly if a faster carbon + balsa blade might be better for me.  Lighter but with more punch.

Any how I think the h350 is not so tacky now and a bit friendlier to my type of silly stroke I was used to.  Doubt I will buy it again either.  Toward the end of play I felt I was bottoming it out or diving before the net like I used to gripe about it.

Hoping this H2 38 will be somewhere between..
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2022 at 12:25am
Got 3 hours in today with Radi.  She was looking a little lazy, not moving much.  We didn't games, we just played points but I felt as a gauge goes, I am starting to dominate more than lose against her.  

I started off playing with the primorac but fh was still lacking with it, so I briefly tried versal (same as usual feels too slow for the bh punch) and then settled onto the ishlion h8 fh and old 09c bh.  

It took a while, but I clearly have my forehand clicking whenever I try to lower my eye level to the ball height.  If we recorded the session I reckon 50/50 at least my forehand kill shots were on and unreturnable.  That for me is pretty dam good odds / improvement to how bad it has been.  And not killing it only leaves me vulnerable to her driving wide on me.

It is not all about the fh kill.  I feel really strong and others have commented in my ability to defend.  I have spent a great deal of my time running back on my weak returns and feel confident in getting back in the games especially if I am using one of my carbon blades.

Tonight, I am free to go play fixtures but am not sure if my body is up for more, and whether I can get in on a team.  I am half tempted to finally buy that 05.

Oddly,  although I could use chinese on the bh and 'almost' anything on my backhand, it has been becoming clearer the more orthodox approach like the Chinese players is worth sticking with as long as I wait on a fh instead of wait on a backhand.

I have been twiddling for serves simply.  It's very natural to me.  Chinese is always for serving.

Spent 90% of today on my weaknesses: my fh clipping the left of the ball serve and fh loop.  I wonder if I will reverse that once real competition starts.  

I plan that if I have a lead of 2 points to focus on winning with weaknesses.  Otherwise all comp will be on strengths.

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 03/22/2022 at 12:30am
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2022 at 1:57am
Identifying the ball accurately in 3D space, and moving to the perfect position to execute the killer FH is not so easy usually compared to the BH. 

Lowering eye height to ball level definitely helps (the shorter the distance between the eyes and the ball the more accurately you can gauge its position). 

What helped me a lot is even in casual FH practice, is to make sure that my eyes followed the ball completely up till contact. So as you turn your body, the head turns with the body and the eyes turns with the head and should continue to track the ball as much as possible up till contact. I increased my accuracy heaps with this trick. The next step is to follow the ball intently with the foot and "chase" the ball so to speak. It's quite tiring to play like this tho....

More annoying are those arenas with terrible lighting (and a lot of them have absolutely terrible lighting haha), so the ball almost disappears from sight midway through which makes tracking the ball even harder. Sometimes TT is about having excellent eyesight too!

Edited by blahness - 03/22/2022 at 2:00am
-------
Viscaria

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2022 at 2:24am
following the ball the whole way and as you said in the lights is hard.  

For me and my eyes that blur with age, and when tired dam dam hard.

I used to wear a cap when I first got into competition because the amount of fluro love was unbearable.  

Serving my beloved ceiling height serve is a no no in competition because I get blinded and then behind the 8 ball for the following shots.

---

After lots of calling around, I'm on a Div 1 team for tonight.  Excited!

Haven't played comp for bloody ages.  This will be my first true test since returning to the sport in the last year for sure.  Playing strangers probably, sussing them out ....  

Even if I lose 3 I will get a gauge.  I will learn and come back.

I will post my results once they come in (sad or not)

wish me luck!
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2022 at 8:47am
I won only one match, lost 2 quite dismally.  I would say looking at the rankings for the players compared to my old rankings, I would have beat them all easily 15 years ago.  But now I am just back sliding down the ladder.  I doubt I am even 1300 tt central these days.

The first match I don't think I should have lost.  The lady had a great fh for sure.  Gayle, has a frustrating extremely slow sp bh that makes the contrast all that harder. But I just didn't bite the bullet and open up with confidence at all.  Competition jitters?  Dunno what but I just didn't feel like I do when it's not competition.  I just need to go for it.

The second match was nothing special, against a short pip smasher with LP on backhand.  I started letting loose on their serves and getting some good fh winners in.

They all knew my weakness because I have played Simon many times in practise who was my third match.

I actually used to beat him 50/50 in games off the cards, but all that worked against me, he knew my serves and weaknesses and now seems he also was hiding some of his best serves for 'real' matches.

I thought we were pretty close apart from really poor return of serve for the first 2 games (would have won otherwise)  in the third I started returning the serves well and the rally lengths increased but again I was just not feeling in the zone with pulling the trigger on shots I should have.

He ultimately beat me with serves I know how to receive but just didn't concentrate well on (something like that...)  and he just played a careful controlled blocking pushing game mostly...

It was a good experience to work out how I am competition wise.  Players that look like they have nothing to beat me with actually do.

I can't say I enjoyed the night.  Even winning a match didn't make me happy.  Not sure what is going on with my frame of mind.  I think overall, I remember why I stopped playing fixtures.

1. 3 hours is spent playing 3 singles and 1 doubles.  
2.  Getting home at 10.30pm  
3. The general atmosphere of the place was neutral to slightly blah blah... Not sure how to express it... Some smiles on faces but most looked like they weren't having fun....  

That should be taken into contrast where I would say there are a lot more smiles on faces at social/practise times, where we play games but don't really give a *&^%

Overall,  great experience that I didn't really enjoy.

Equipment wise.  The 09c felt like overkill since I didn't really penetrate into the depth of the rubber successfully in the matches 99% of the time.  The Hurricane 8 was the same.  

So I felt slightly softer rubbers would be better.  The fast ishlion felt fine.  

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 03/22/2022 at 8:59am
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2022 at 6:10pm
I didn't like the competition circuit either, too many crazy ppl there which ruin the fun for everyone else. There's a lot of ppl who don't throw the ball straight or high enough, and others who complain about "hidden" serves while having hidden serves themselves lol...plus those who always miscount scores in their own favour!  And those who just have poor behaviour in general...they look like they wanna murder someone when they're losing lmao. 

I think these overly competitive amateurs ruin the fun at lots of competitions. I like the social/practice sessions a lot more, but tbh I don't play all that much these days either (only 1/week). The most fun aspect about table tennis is the progression / improvement. 

-------
Viscaria

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2022 at 4:16am
Totally agree with you except the most fun part.  For me the most fun is winning with a couple of long distance power loops.  Don't judge me for it.  I just enjoy that more than winning or losing with blocking, pushing serving etc.  Improving is a great and feels good heading home and is more general than a point win.

On the topic of points.  Yes I lost almost 200 points off my rating.   Oh well.  When I get my fh back I should see slow climb back...  I am not in love with numbers anyways.  It's just a little painful to see such 'confirmations' of my fall from grace.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2022 at 7:00am
Ok tonight I got in a bit less than 2 hours at the club with Bill.  

I finally glued down my new 2 month in transit H2 38 degrees black that I boosted about 3 layers and I have to say this is the best my forehand has been (since coming back to the sport) and the rubber softness, tack everything was perfect.

I actually pulled off my 40 something degrees H2 on the versal for this and I am not sorry.  I felt like I just gained ton of control in my loops and it was just in the magic zone.  I still have a red hard H2 on the backhand and I never twiddled once and found that I was two wing looping all night.  Sure I missed 30% but that's awesome for me.  

So much control and still could pull of winners when positioning them well.

To top it off my fh traditional left-clip of the ball serve came back 100% tonight.

My short game returned magically strong.  

And just had a great night.

I won about 70% of the first half of the points and then as I got tired started dropping off about 40%.

All up, love H2 38 tripple boosted on the versal, and prefer the Old red H2 over the old dignics hands down.  I just felt I had more bite and even though I slowed the pace of the game down, it was still a looping fest for me against Bill.  

38 is the magic number!

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 03/25/2022 at 7:00am
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2022 at 9:36am
Is your H2 very heavy after boosting? baby oil is not supposed to vaporize like other boosters. I assume three layers will add a lot of weight to the rubber
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2022 at 4:18pm
I don't find it heavy, and you can cut extra off your sheet since it expands.

layer 1 is probably thicker because the rubber is flat or slightly anti domed sometimes.
layers after that are just a couple of drops.

I just rub it around with my finger.  It's baby oil after all.  :)

All up I doubt I use more than a tablespoon.  It spreads really well and you don't want it everywhere.

So maybe 10ml?

I tend to not rush it and just let it sit like that for a few days before gluing.

This is the bottle I got and I reckon I have enough for 10 years...

Australian dollars:
$2.40
https://shop.coles.com.au/a/national/product/cub-baby-oil-crc

It's just mineral oil.

You will need to get rid of the glue layer if you are putting this on a used sheet or those NEO varieties otherwise you will get glue that never dries a bigger slimey snotty mess!

Stay away from TT rubbers that have a weak bond between topsheets and sponge.

I use H2 because it has the widest pips to help keep the strong bond.

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 03/25/2022 at 4:39pm
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2022 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

Totally agree with you except the most fun part.  For me the most fun is winning with a couple of long distance power loops.  Don't judge me for it.  I just enjoy that more than winning or losing with blocking, pushing serving etc.  Improving is a great and feels good heading home and is more general than a point win.

On the topic of points.  Yes I lost almost 200 points off my rating.   Oh well.  When I get my fh back I should see slow climb back...  I am not in love with numbers anyways.  It's just a little painful to see such 'confirmations' of my fall from grace.

Hehe I always get a couple into my games. The feeling of finishing the point off with a spectacular loop is the best xD. 
-------
Viscaria

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2022 at 6:55pm
Especially if you follow it up with a dismissive expression, like nothing just happened.  

---
I'm looking to order more rubbers since they take so long to arrive...  I don't need now but will.  And I seem to run about 3 blades for testing how I do... and have at least 2 blades at the club in case something goes wrong with one.

I am wondering if my time with H3-50 and finally not liking it should not deter me from trying H3 38 regular.

Since I like the 38 degrees so much I will be positing/editing this post with Aliexpress price with links.  Aliexpress search is really bad for finding the cheapest specific product...

it seems links dont work well so copy paste into address bar is the only solution:

38 degrees specified AUD + free shipping

H3 $24 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1614678828.html

H3 $25 but $4 discount for over $40 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32857131629.html

I won't puchase until I have played with my new H2 38 on the BH and see how that feels.  Since I felt the hardness of 40+ (not sure what but 40 or over) wasn't bad and actually good for punch/driving when it's a bit older.

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 03/26/2022 at 9:24pm
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2022 at 4:59am
Yet another 3 hour session today with whoever was at the club.  AWESOME!!!! DAY OF PLAY.

I seriously felt for the first half of play like my forehand was as good as it had ever been!  WTF moment and just loving playing was TT heaven.  As usual it started getting worse but not so bad as its been...  

So I feel like it has come back!  My arm and shoulder are sore as F(*k because I swung so much...  Hopefully no injury, just sore...

I played for the 1st hour with VB endless games and didn't lose 1.  I am not sure of his level but he can attack well...

One particular point was absolutely amazing.  I was trialling the 38 on my bh so the hard h2 was on FH and after a few rally shots we got into a full powered long distance fh to fh 2 or 3 in a row.  They were blitz speed.  And we got a clap from one watcher on since we were on table one.  LOL at least someone got to watch.  Wish I got that point on video... We looked like Pros for a 20 seconds Cool

So the important thing is how I found the 38 on the backhand.  

1.  Up close to the table, like warm up rally Backhand to backhand, the 38 is an absolute best rubber ever.  It just couter loops perfectly with its low trajectory and bite on the ball.  You really can kill it if you know where there ball is landing all the time!

2.  But in game play you don't know where they will land it, and taking a few steps back for my bh at least I felt like I was not getting much of the catapult speed so it's a tough call.  

3.  Even though I did feel it bottom out a bit on FH and therefore really flat trajectory from a distance... like I mentioned in my fixture night, A greater majority of the time playing a harder sponge is overkill or just not how I hit with my fh (yet maybe)... 

---

So although I could use 38 on bh and it is better close to the table than the harder H2s once I am away from the table, I really need a bit more 'oooomph' and the old red 40+ degrees H2 is a winner there.

I highly doubt the H3 38 would be any better in the forward kick than H2 so don't think I will bother.

---

Final thoughts,  H2 38 baby oiled reminds me of a tackier tenergy 25 fx.  

There is so much control on the shorter length of looping against under, no and top spin at the table.  And for some reason it suits my forehand from far away.

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 03/27/2022 at 5:00am
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic