Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TT return diary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2022 at 5:44am
I was so excited to play again another 3 hours but I just gave up after 2 hours today.  My shoulder area was dead from the start and trying to swing like I did yesterday was just not going to last long at all.

Looks like I will be slowly building up all the muscles gradually for the FH.  There is a limit to how much my arm can take and I will need to pace the FH amounts just not to injure myself.

I tried a bit more 38 on the backhand today once I got really tired.  I am so tempted to try to get used to it from a distance some how but it really does take so much work.  It really does kill shots at the table more consistantly though.   Opening up on long serves H2 38 no matter the side, is just as good as it gets.

Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
Sponsored Links

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2022 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

I was so excited to play again another 3 hours but I just gave up after 2 hours today.  My shoulder area was dead from the start and trying to swing like I did yesterday was just not going to last long at all.

Looks like I will be slowly building up all the muscles gradually for the FH.  There is a limit to how much my arm can take and I will need to pace the FH amounts just not to injure myself.

I tried a bit more 38 on the backhand today once I got really tired.  I am so tempted to try to get used to it from a distance some how but it really does take so much work.  It really does kill shots at the table more consistantly though.   Opening up on long serves H2 38 no matter the side, is just as good as it gets.

Definitely have to be careful with those, it's important to slowly ramp up the intensity especially after not playing for a long time. I learnt it the hard way from my previous wrist injury.... especially if you have a powerful FH, there's quite a lot of energy travelling through the joints/ligaments every time you swing the ball, regardless of whether or not you're using the body or not. For me due to my prev injury I'm always afraid to swing hard on the BH Dead so it's a lot more focus on earlier timing, consistency, spin variation and placement rather than just outright going for winners. Using a fast bouncy rubber helps too LOL

Edited by blahness - 03/28/2022 at 9:06pm
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2022 at 12:16am
Yeah man using a fast rubber AND blade helps .... but not so much if you going to focus on being the spinner at the table.

I was not sure today whether I would play but went in knowing I would avoid my big FH attemtps.  

I actually spent for the first time 20 minutes trying to chop the ball with normal rubbers.  It's I must say something I think I have almost never ever done.  Sure I have with pips but not inverted.... So there is always something to do when one muscle group is on the mend.

I spent a lot of time twiddling the hardnesses today... Seeing if 38 or 40 really is so much better on one side or not...

Not much change of opinion, I don't remember counter looping and opening up on serves so well at the table with my BH as I did with 38. I can seriously surprise so many players who have opened up on a big spinny loop not expecting to get counter looped off the bounce.  It really does take a big BIG stroke but that is my expertise (Im shitty on fh though trying to do that).  That muscle group is hurting too...

Away from the table I started finding similarly that I reckon I can adapt but it is a bit less powerful, but more arc-ish.  

Today was a bad day for play, it was raining and I forgot my towel and went through 3 shirts in no time with water drips everywhere and I finally gave up 2 hours into playing because I just couldn't find anything to dry my hands.  It's bad when your grip on the handle slips and you can't put a dry ball into your serving hand.

Great day all up with my Tuesday training partners:   Shane, Eric,, Jimmy and good old Dennis.  4 Chinese in order of age from 20s to 70s.  They are all great players....

Dennis plays LP one side and can beat a hell of a lot players that are higher up.  He does this frustrating downward hit shot often that you would think is a kind smash but actually is backspin.

---

Just ordered...
With GST let's call H2 38 $26 AUD received.  I am guessing it will take at least another month to get but I am not in a rush.  

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 03/29/2022 at 2:06am
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2022 at 10:54pm
So happy today I took the first 3 games against Simon (who I lost to a week ago in fixtures!)

Easily beat him, and all those serves I missed last week were the same but my mind was clearer today and had no problems with them.  I was happy after those 3 games and then went to focussing on my weak serves and fh again.  Ended up 50/50 but the important thing was the first 3 games to prove a point.  :)

Good session of TT for about 2.5 hours.  My fh was as before, pretty good for the first hour and then just goes to the abyss by the end of the day... 

My fh is always good from a distance in big FH to FH looping.... I just can't get it to stay good near the table against a variety of spins that I just haven't had enough time to groove.

The 38 seems less stable on either wing from a distance.  Less drivey but can be more flingy to make up for it.

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 03/30/2022 at 11:02pm
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
alohaletsplay View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alohaletsplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2022 at 1:35am
Hello Mr. Boz,

Have you tried Dignics 09c? I saw your playing video and it looks like you would own with Dignics. I used to use Chinese rubbers, but they were inconsistent and lacked durability. I know it's expensive, but the durability might save you money in the long run and treat yourself, you're worth it :D 

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2022 at 6:14am
G'day buddy,

I tried very briefly some new sheets but mostly used old 09c.  Can't say I have really used the stuff.  But I felt the H2 40 degrees baby oiled has been pretty dam good as a BH rubber and I might not improve even if I used butterfly's best.

I have shared on pages of this thread my feelings about the price.  If anything I am very close to buying many time T or D 05...  One of these days.... I will bite that bullet.  The speed can be great, and a problem for me too.

Thanks for your kind words.  

If I had a video camera still I'd make some vids, but $ is the factor for me these days since Covid took away my proper line of work and now I have reverted to working in a field I make 3xless 

The money I have I feel is best spent paying $12 a session at the club.  I think I have been averaging about 3 x a week for the last 6 months (I think).

I drool over premium rubbers and robots too though.  

cheers.

I do like being able to slow the game down a hell of a lot as being my quirk in the game.  Some people have this weird one side pip to do it, I have a slow balsa blade with tacky slowish rubbers.  I can still loop the hell out of the ball, counter loop in offensive rallies but also block super short and keep the game at a pace others get frustrated by...

Not sure how long this will last.

Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alohaletsplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2022 at 1:23pm
I also saw the video where you hit a kangaroo, epic!!! 
I enjoy playing with a slow setup too, makes the game peaceful. That's awesome you're at 6 months. What made you step away from the game and go into ebikes? 
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2022 at 4:10pm
Haha! Yes I hit a wallaby or should I say it jumped out in front of me and hit my front wheel at lower speeds.  I have had a couple of times them jump and larger ones from one side of the road to the other only a few metres away and at high speed on my bike which could certainly kill me.

You know I never thought about till now, but I stopped riding bikes last year because I got sick of fixing them and again the cost of ebikes is very high....  A battery for my bike is over $1000  AUD...

My foruming never stopped just went to endlesssphere https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=112030&p=1659431#p1658777

Why start riding them?  If you like mountain bike riding, but like riding uphill as fast as you do downhill...  it's called the ebike grin...  not sure if you saw my ebike channel but the vids should inspire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kykW4p6D4c&list=PLhmNPJvDkKg7jlbtXLrGyAYE8YuBJc19A

Living in Thailand slowed down my progression of partner and venues for TT, on return I was suddenly married and a kid.... so time is the biggest reason.... work come home, not fair to leave the family alone....

Now my kids older and I got no other outlet without the bikes to get out and start enjoying me time.

You should get a bike man, I knew a guy share some footage of his high powered EMTB around Hawaii and the place looks so epic to ride!

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 03/31/2022 at 4:22pm
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2022 at 8:29am
4 hour Friday evening session ... lucky to get play against a pretty strong 'junior'  who I mostly just helped him with his training for a tournament this weekend.  Lost to him 3 games but I reckon I wouldn't have if I hadn't given him everything for the hours before.  

Weird how playing against some people my equipment feels good and against others too slow.

Not much to report except that I must be getting fitter because 4 hours of straight play is quite a mamoth effort and I don't feel to sore...

I'm down to about 85kg these days.  Which I have seemed to sat on now for many months... Having said that my arms in particular feel much stronger.  My bicep didn't feel like this 6 months ago...

So I have probably lost more weight but converted it to muscle.

I'm far from healthy, but I am better than I was.

I don't think H2 38 is going to be a wise idea on both sides.  The 40 is clearly more powerful and beneficial for so many shots.  Not sorry I bought another, because I want to put the red one on my other blade to see how it plays on the carbon....  

---

Had an awkward moment while playing those final games.  Must have been on of his friends/future opponents who asked me what do you find troubling about playing him, and I said nothing.

It was the truth.  Just because someone beats me, or has good shots or a good serve doesn't mean it is 'troubling'.  

I just said my own execution of my strengths is troubling me.

That was the truth in my eyes.  I was doing in my mind unforced errors.

Have I ever had players who had things touble me?  ABSOLUTELY.  

There are players whose serves I just cannot for the life of me work out.  They usually are like the top players in the state mind you.  That troubles me to hell.  And then there can be players who in the past I just couldn't work out how to control there attacks at all... As in if you tried to block them you wouldn't be able to... But not many of those players would give me the time of day to practise with...

Really good SP players can really trouble me too.  Because they hit so dam flat and fast its hard to play against.

Anyhow, he's a good kid and got a bit upset that I said nothing troubled me about his shots.  

I am not egotistical here.  I just think people need to get to grips with the fact that some players have been playing at a much higher level and against a lot higher level than they are at now.

I am not ego massager nor popper, I just like to say how I see it, like it or not.

He's good guy though and I reckon he's on the right track to being really troubling.

Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alohaletsplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2022 at 3:35pm
You might have made the kid tougher by saying that, he might train hard to take you down, but you may also have hooked him for life. I got hooked when there was a player at the club that pissed me off by not playing me, beating him became my sole purpose.

That makes sense why you took a break for TT, family comes first. Does the kid have TT prospect? That's funny you say I should get an ebike, I live literally right next to a sweet mountain bike track. I hike it occasionally in the mornings, I was there this morning and pondered about getting a mountain bike. 
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2022 at 7:10am
Hopefully I get to play him again soon because I like guys that loop with all they got at me.  I say kid because he doesn't seem to be 20 yet.  We have the Olympics coming to Brisbane, and I want to encourage and help anyone that is serious. I want our locals to get on it now so they have a chance in future.  Any teen I meet I want to help as much as possible.  This is our chance, my only chance probably to make a difference to the sport really before I fade out of the picture.  (Not me compete to be clear!)

I wish I took a sport anyone seriously after highschool...

Anyhow bike riding is beautiful.  It's the next best thing next to skiing when you don't live in the snow.

Ebiking is the next best thing when you want to turn the whole mountain into downhill.  So much fan man.  

---

I got nothing to update because I have been sick for the last few days.  I called off work days, and wanted so much to play but I really feel aches in my joints these days.  

Hate not playing.  I did push myself to do a quick 20 minutes of service practise at home.  Feels tight.  Feel like my full serve range is coming back.  

Love that.  I follow up a few serves by bouncing a ball on the ground and then looping it occasionally.  Should be good for no spin serve receive or side spin receives....

Keep groovy
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2022 at 1:28am
So I am kid free suddenly, and have been sick for over a week,  still feeling a bit dizzy and weak.  I haven't practised for over a week because of work and health.

Tonight is the night.  I got a team at the highest.  Div 1 Monday.

Team member is also a fill in that I know from 15 years ago.  It's gonna be a wacky night.

Playing Tuesday fixtures (which is weaker) I only won 1.  I do not expect much more than that considering the competition in front of me and my own state.

I don't give a F*&^%
Let's go!

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 04/11/2022 at 1:30am
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2022 at 8:29am
Won one lost one.

Beat the LP back hand Chinese guy that was choing every point even on simple shit like me serving a fault.  I need to get a thicker skin.  But he really started pi*&ing me off when he served two wet balls and denied my appeals as I showed him and the umpire the wet circle on my bat on receive.  His arms were sweaty and no towel.  Uncool.

Lost to the Iraninan guy 11-8 in the fifth... should have won really since I would have won on total points, taking a game off him 11-1.

I blame myself still because I had no warm up, no practise in a week and nobody to warm up in the hour I was standing around before competition.  I still babied FH when I should have bitten the bullet and tried the FH finishing shot and I stuck to my safe serves instead of the whole wide variety that I can do when I feel confident not to fault them.

Overall, I lost my cool with the first guy choing and the wet ball shit.  They were also speaking during serves and points that had not ended which just made the atmosphere toxic and not what why I go and fill in on a team.  

It is also my fault because I let the Ahole get to me.  I need to take a chill pill.  I am so easy to trigger I guess. 

My own team mate told me to quiet down on my counter choing.  So yeah I think I countered his chos with my chos too much playing into his BS.... 

Ahhhhhhh not too happy with the feeling but my results speak for themselves.  Div 1 Monday is the highest level at our club and I did well enough on the score cards but sh&t on the socio level.

YUK

---

So onto the equipment side again.

I actually missed the table long much more with my backhand with the 40 in comp.

Sure some I missed because they were too short with the 38 on bh but much of the game I felt in reality in comp you want the ball on the table mostly .... and 38 might be easier either side.

I must say there was 1 absolute fh kill loop point winning ending I stunned everyone in a counter away from the table with the 40.  But that is way too rare probably to stick to... It was way low trajectory

Peter Lander my team mate, said just go for it, in the doubles and I did, I fh looped up 70%, probably 20% clear missing the ball, 10% the table.... but man I wish I had more practise because I should be getting my confidence up one of these days to go for it or not go to the club at all.  

I feel like Tyrone Woodley.

---

My red 38 H2 (in the first generation packaging) turned up way quicker from this place I ordered from... today (under 2 weeks).  Boosting it and wondering... Really wondering to go both sides on the Versal and see how I go.  

Amazing shots in practise games is one thing, consistant looping in competition is another.  Comp is your true report card at the end of the day, like it or not.   

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 04/11/2022 at 8:58am
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2022 at 2:53am
I was tired from last night so got into the club today a little late and forgot to eat breakfast.  Dam I felt weak and it showed in all my practise this morning.  First time I bought a chocolate bar in years! (nothing else at the counter) which helped a bit after a while but I was pretty flat, muscles were a bit sore and just fatigued from the night before.  So serves and everything felt laboured and not flowing.

I fell short of beating Dennis by a few points and only got a small margin of games off Jimmy.  Jimmy I found out plays comp 3 nights a week and probably does a few hours at the club in the mornings too!  I didn't call up anyone but usually Tuesdays these two guys will be there and will put me through a great deal of testing.  

Dennis and LP only game gives me tons of practise just continuously looping back sping.  

Jimmy also has some LP on bh but is much more versatile and really makes me work to get a game off him.  Wish I recorded our sessions because I am pulling off some insane shots OCCASIONALLY from a distance.  

hmmm can I afford a camera?

Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2022 at 8:08pm

I was tired from last night so got into the club today a little late and forgot to eat breakfast.  Dam I felt weak and it showed in all my practise this morning.  First time I bought a chocolate bar in years! (nothing else at the counter) which helped a bit after a while but I was pretty flat, muscles were a bit sore and just fatigued from the night before.  So serves and everything felt laboured and not flowing.

I fell short of beating Dennis by a few points and only got a small margin of games off Jimmy.  Jimmy I found out plays comp 3 nights a week and probably does a few hours at the club in the mornings too!  I didn't call up anyone but usually Tuesdays these two guys will be there and will put me through a great deal of testing.  

Dennis and LP only game gives me tons of practise just continuously looping back sping.  

Jimmy also has some LP on bh but is much more versatile and really makes me work to get a game off him.  Wish I recorded our sessions because I am pulling off some insane shots OCCASIONALLY from a distance.  

hmmm can I afford a camera?

Will your phone and a cheap tripod not do?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2022 at 10:27pm
I can't even run a few apps on my phone because it has zero memory.... I can take a photo and then need to delete it... 

I need a new phone and was actually looking at getting one that can do good video and of course have a huge memory, but I wouldn't feel happy about leaving it in case gets knocked over.  Would want to get something that I can clamp to a seat or something like that.

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 04/12/2022 at 10:28pm
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2022 at 1:50am

I can't even run a few apps on my phone because it has zero memory.... I can take a photo and then need to delete it... 

I need a new phone and was actually looking at getting one that can do good video and of course have a huge memory, but I wouldn't feel happy about leaving it in case gets knocked over.  Would want to get something that I can clamp to a seat or something like that.

Yeah, sounds like you can justify a new phone.

Cameras can also be knocked over, of course. Depends on the club setup as well as to how safely it can be kept. People are generally pretty good at not knocking things over / a phone with a case and screen protector is pretty sturdy anyways :)

Happy shopping!
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2022 at 2:13am
Ha, I am terrible at shopping I look around and then say... wait till it dies... unless its cheap TT equipment.  The holy grail must be out there somewhere.

---

Cool thing about vloggin, bloggin diaries etc. is that the person making them also forgets what they thought and then ends up repeating mistakes or just not sure what happened in the past.  I have read a few times back what I have said about things such as this being too slow or that being too fast etc....  Yet, looking into the details I can spot things, angles on past thoughts that might not be so true or at least not totally true.

As mentioned earlier, 99% of my diary has not been on recorded competition against strangers.  Not knowing what they do, how they serve, myself feeling much less confident in my own ability to keep it on the table and be competitive these days makes me want to fall back to be fractionally safer = possibly slower being better.  

Why even though the fast equipment feels better for defending away from the table, it doesn't give me the same love where all points start.  Nearer the table.

---

I am right now gluing my red H2 38 to the opposite side of the black H2 38 on the Versal.  Something feels kind of right in a greater majority of strokes when under pressure with the whole set up slower right now.  I also was finding that by constantly twiddly the 38 & 40 degrees I was never settling on one way is better.  Hopefully not having the choice will help me get in tune with it on both sides to a greater extent.

---

Going to call this G1 generation 1 and G2 generation 2 solely on the packaging of the rubbers.

G1 has clearly more defined crosspattern on the sponge. compared to the G2.  G2 feels a bit softer when finger testing.

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 04/16/2022 at 9:58pm
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2022 at 11:17pm
3 hour session today with Eric and Dennis.  Been ages since I played and I started off quite badly, much worse everywhere in my game than usual.  

Some how after the first 30 minutes I started getting much stronger and probably took more games off Eric than usual.  Mostly third ball points.  Still overall I felt my bat was feeling like I had to work really hard all the time or just stay on the more defensive pushing chopping end of things to keep my energy right.  (started new post about energy problems here http://mytabletennis.net/forum/topic91648_post1125970.html#1125970 )

The main take away of today is H2 38 seemed more difficult to keep looping consistantly which is not what I was expecting at all.  I did have moments when I seemed to find the middle ground, but most of the time I felt I just was struggling to get the loop contact point in the sweet zone.

I could do some clean winners but as I said, they took so much energy!!!!

As you might predict my next move.... I think I am going to pull both the rubbers off and try them on a faster blade.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2022 at 6:30am
Last couple of nights I have got my 8 year old daughter out of her 'I hate TT rut' just by pure forced, do it for you dad!

And man she has made amazing advances... I am just blown away by her blocking skills mostly.

It's like I got a new robot/return board for free.  

I know it's not the same as against strong players but I have been grooving my controlled looping with the primorac carbon H2 38 an hour a night with her.   

I can do occasional attacks and she blocks them with ease.  

Can't describe my love for her not giving up on the sport and what it means to me on so many levels.

---

Superficially the primorac carbon with the H2 38 feels so much more dimensional than with the Versal.  

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 04/21/2022 at 6:32am
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2022 at 11:13pm
I got 2 hours at the club with the Primorac Carbon.  

First hour was just practise points with Eric, and we were both impressed with the noticable increase in speed and with it the greater amount of shots that I could put away as non returnable blitz.  

Of course with this I noticed my own recovery for the next shot will have to be even faster too.

I played a few others at the club, beating Gehardt 2:1 in games (insisted on games) he too complemented me on my improvement over playing him a few weeks ago when I couldn't get a game off him.  

I really felt the Primorac Carbon give me more control over much more points in general even when just blocking.

I played a few other guys mostly just rally practise but went a game each with Michael (an inverted allround kind of chopper guy)

Lots of good practise overall, and the Primorac Carbon looks like it beats the Versal pretty clearly for everything.

As much as I like light and zippy, the stability and momentum felt like it gave me much more control in pretty much every department of the game.

It also encourages me to start punching the ball much more which really increases my consistancy since looping angle of the bat is much low percentage to get right.

Overall, I am very happy with the set up.  I feel I can serve spinny, block shorter lengths, graze loop slower/shorter with the hurricanes near the table and also with the carbon + meaty wood drive the hell out of it away from the table and fish return with simple reaching when needed.

I twiddled the black and red H2 a lot and found no difference at all.  

PC for the win! Cool

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 04/22/2022 at 12:04am
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2022 at 3:05am
Less than 2 hours at the club, most with Eric.  

Most the practise I felt like everything was off.  Played a few games at the end and I lost 2:1 in very close games.

Main thing was that our perceptions of my playing were very different.  

Eric said that I am playing better, faster most the time and he wasn't able to attack so much so he was forced to be blocking much more.  He said my FH was more consistant and much improved!?

That's to some extent odd for me, because I felt I also missed way more attacks and blocks than I usually do, even on my strong side.  I can see his point that he was forced to block more because I have sped up the game and putting on the pressure more... I guess he was just blocking because he had to since what I felt was looping and just hitting into the ball as I had to was putting him on the back foot more.  

For me just flat hitting with my FH doesn't feel dangerous but maybe it was at least down the line at his BH mostly, so he may have seen an easy avenue there close?

I must admit when I choose to control the game I can easily, even if it feels to me like nothing since I am not doing a big action, it is perceived as something coming back fast regardless of its spin....  The Primorac feels so good flat hitting back from a distance, it's a safe shot with a large area to make sure not to miss... (kind of pointless having tacky rubber, but it tacky is good for grazing close up)  
hmmmm

Although I got some good attack loops in, they were much less than I think I got in the last time I played.  

Not sure how much I trust Eric on his opinions since he is quite biased to having to be an offensive player.  I respect the reasoning,  but I have beat him past while playing with slower equipment.  

The noticable thing too was that when I blocked they went long much more than in the past... which are points on the table and his opinion is you just got to get used to it ....

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 04/27/2022 at 3:21am
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2022 at 9:34am
The noticable thing too was that when I blocked they went long much more than in the past

Gee, you blocked long frequently using a Primorac Carbon?  Huh?!
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2022 at 11:12pm
Yeah stating the obvious DonOlsen.

And it was the same today for blocking from near the table.

---

Yesterday Wednesday there were only a few people at the club...  Today it packed.  I got a bit under 3 hours in and I did not feel tired.  (Had a good small breakfast of rye bread and salad and chees.)

Played a lot of players.

Again I started off a bit worse than I thought I should practising rallying with Michael.  We finished off with 2 games 1:1.  

Backhand power loop/driving started getting stronger the longer I played.

Felt like I had more control against my constant soft looping against Dennis (the LP only at the table player)  Felt like I got a good groove there.

Finished the session off against Simon.

No practise with him, just straight into games.
I remember the first 3 games I lost straight 11:9 each.  Close enough but he was just flat tapping for position either side of the table in the deep corners so well with that.  

We probably played about 10 games all up and we were pretty even by the end, I guess he might have been one ahead at most.  His comments at the end were kind of similar to Eric's from the previous day.  He was impressed with the consistancy, of the spin but noticably the speed of my backhand shots.  I must agree that the Primorac makes up for the missed blocks by giving me more winners.

My forehand woke up half way through those games on service return attacks and most of those were clean winners.  My FH still sucked on most simple other medium rally stuff.  

I think my FH is good when the ball is dropping lower than table height but terrible at looping higher. For some reason my elbow kicks up or something weird happens in the stroke mechanics and well I just don't move my feet before I start the stroke.  I have improved smashing high balls but not looping the higher than table at all.

---

So all up Primorac Carbon can be hard to manage at times but make up for it in clean winners.  

---

I do have the Michael Maze I have been thinking about seeing if it might hold more value being somewhere between total offensive and a bit more control.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2022 at 6:37am
It was a really long time ago that I owned and then sold off a Timo Boll ALC, and that was back when I used tenergy.  So tonight's sadly only one hour with the Michael Maze (which ALC) feels again like a new phenenomenon to play with.  

A positive experience, just sad there was nobody to play at the club more than VB for an hour.

He also insisted on games straight away so no time to get used to blade.  Still, since I have played him before I felt he was playing a bit better, but I just not as used to the lengths.

I roughly beat him about 6 to 2 games.  

The Michael Maze didn't feel too slow for winners (actually got a lot more spin again) and didn't feel too fast for blocking near the table (so the ball rarely went long).  

I felt like I do have to go up more with my stroke because it is slower which was kind of odd.  I would expect more dwell to be more closed angled and forward... but dunno I wont try to explain it till I have had more time with it.

I like the Michael Maze as I have said before because it is thinner, and it has such a nice straight full squarish kind of handle.  The balance of the bat just feels better like this.  I am not a fan of the sound it makes when hitting hard into it.  (sounds a bit like a snare) But sound is not what the game is about.

I look forward to playing with it more.  I won't be changing blades in a hurry I guess.  :)

My forehand felt pretty decent with it from the get go.  Obviously flat hitting felt worse, but the spin increase in what I predominantly do = LOOP meant the ball was on the table with more spin more often and VB got to contact the ball but not successfully return it.

It feels like a pretty dam good loopers blade to be honest (in the little time I spent with it).

Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2022 at 4:13am
Raced to the club straight after work so got 2.5 hours of constant playing about 4 players.

The weekends are great at the club.  It's busy and lots of higher level players to mix with.  

Apart from the usual crew Dennnis, Jimmy, and less usual (MOddie forgot his name!) I played Ken who uses H3 and Dignics 09c... I always enjoy playing Moddie and players like Ken because they just don't hurt my brain LOL.  Roughly equal two wing loopers that I can just focus on my game with.

I beat Dennis today comfortably, but Jimmy beat me mostly.  I just hate Long/medium pip attackers that do it well and also have spin on the reverse side.   Drives me bananas factoring in angles when he punches.   They are weird because its not really reverse so much just kind remove the spin.

Any how onto the fun part of playing Ken mostly for an hour at the end.  Here's similar to Jimmy in that he plays like 3 nights of fixtures per week.  I only lost one game to him after many, but most the fun was just playing points.

The Michael Maze Hurricane 2 on my backhand is as good as its gonna get.  Still a little getting used to required but the gears are all there.  I ripped winners at the table with it off backspin, and far back from the table absolute spinny bombs.  My forehand was much better too for 'mostly' winner type of shots at the table.  I had multiple attempts at the far from the table winner shot but they all just go monstrously long unless I just do controlled loops back.  From back there I was finding if I want to add more action to the ball than just a controlled shot the insane dwell in my set up kind of leaves me with the only one option of sidespinning as well to bring down the trajectory. = mostly faded inside out.

Their is one other shot that I have not practised or done in a very long time.  And that is the most obvious just flat hitting drive just a little harder than I would usually do in blocking or warm up practise.  Odd that I just haven't tried it in points or games but it started to pay dividends.  Just driving a bit harder with a shorter (unexaggerated) stroke.  This I reckon came from last night when I helped out a little with the juniors and was asked to do it.  So yeah it helped me add another long forgotten dimension.

---

All up I am really really happy with the Michael Maze + H2.  No set up will be good at everything, but this one is dam good insane amounts of spin and I would say more than I remember using tenergy 05.

I also tried and have tried pretty much every session to put in a bit of time chopping with it and I find the tackiness and lack of any amazing spring sponge really good for chopping.   

It's great for sidespin pushing too, serving short, slowing the game down when I want too.

Really has everything apart from the ability to slap/punch the ball fast easily....  (fine by me)
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2022 at 7:07am
last night I felt a bit down after practising only an hour at the club (club was full there were no spots on a team) about just everything feeling mostly wrong while I played.  

I played with that Iranian guy ah yes Kia is his name.  He beat me 11:9 in the fifth in fixtures a couple of weeks back.  I also got about 10 minutes with another guy... 

Anyway point was last night I just felt off.  It seems to take me so long to start getting my range right.  And don't know why that happens because today I got 3 hours luckily with Anakin and someone else for a bit.  And all my ranges angles were spot on from the get go.

I felt so crappy about not being able to do good forehands yesterday that I set up my allround blade grubba, that has 755 LP 0X and I put an older H2 40 degrees on the other side....

When I got to the club I didn't use it for the first 2 hours because I was already playing well again.  But just for fun I pulled it out and I must say I missed a few balls at the start but that's all.  I seemed to just naturally get back into my twiddle game that I had for about 6 months at one stage.

I was not any worse off using it in on my fh than inverted (so it seemed in the short 30 minutes of games)

I could twiddle if I wanted and did a bit but its kind of pointless because even though I can use LP on both sides my Backhand is my strength with inverted.

I played worse with inverted on my backhand because the blade felt slow again.  The lengths I am used to and the speed simply is not enough.

That would be a big problem if I were to entertain using LP.

LP for me needs a slower wood blade to feel the chops and slow down the lengths when blocking.... and I couldn't afford to lose my nice feeling rubbber blade combination for attacking that I have with the H2 Michael Maze.  I hit way to many winners tonight consistantly controlled the game most of the time.  

LP cannot block as well as inverted in my opinion.  It has a threshold of blocking someone looping at you.  Once they can power loop hard enough you just can't return the ball... (most of the time)  AT THE TABLE

With a super slow bat you can but dam if I am going to give up my kill shots.

I must admit I enjoyed the LP because it forced me to chop and that in itself makes me work a different muscle group or at least not stress my arms so much.... with the same looping stroke.

I wonder if I give LP a bit of a go against all my usual practise partners to see how I go against them.  

I would never soley use them on my forehand.  I would still practise normal inverted FH with them but just have it as a "oh you went to the side I wasn't expecting you to go to = so here's my LP"

I am not a classic LP player at all... I often block flat with them, and what happens to my inverted side is it turns more into a windshield wiper type of grip and style.   I have the normal area and then it keeps going slightly more toward a kind of seemlier grip.

Anyhow... was fun tonight.

Hopefully I can get into the club tomorrow with LP on the Maze... but I am worried about trying to unglue this only sheet I got (fragile)....

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 05/04/2022 at 9:17am
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2022 at 8:56am
Some days are just bad.  It is not the equipment.  If you played well with that equipment on other days then it's you.  Maybe you are tired, or just not seeing the ball as well as usual for no real reason.  

If you enjoy changing equipment for its own sake that's great.  But changing in response to a bad day will not prevent you from having future bad days.  That's just a thing that happens. 
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2022 at 9:34am
I know you are right BRS.  Thanks for chiming in. I know it is me 90% but I also think how other players play can just slightly put you off by an inch to just not get a rhythm.  I know from just warming up with multiple players... some I just find the length of their shots and spin frustrate compared to others who when I warm up with the ball just lands how I expect.... (how I expect being the main problem)...

At least today was on track.  The LP is more of a possibility that I didn't muck around with for a few months....  I did try it out with one player but not the majority.

tomorrow is another day

Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2022 at 11:01pm
2.5 hours of practise today.  Only used the LP blade.

Short warm up Eric, I think I got the best of him because he always serves to my bh so not much LP action there unless he attacked and my chop was going well.

won 3:0 games against Spence (we were 1:1 last time with me double inverted)

Spent almost a 1.5 hrs with Michael just playing rally points, was tons of fun.  My backhand was actually hammering it again.  My FH was mostly chopping but I twiddled to practise everything.  No games but I reckon I would beat him.

Last 30 minutes or so constant games against Simon (probably my best person to judge against)
I was tired by this time but no excuses.
He were almost even in games but he would have won one or two more, but some of my games I really destroyed him like 11:2 11:4... none of my losses were that close.  I played mostly without twiddling to see how would go against his strategy to play to my FH or LP side.

I was blocking like 3 or 4 in a row of his strong FH loops.  I could get away with a lot less energy while he was expending tons.....
I would have even better against him if for some reason my bh was missing more than usual.  He is good at strategy so would go wide on my bh if he went there.

All up I don't think me using LP on one side really made a big difference to anything since I always try to do winners with my bh.... It might be more fun to have more types of shots I have to do.

There were some amazing killers I did with the LP as in I made a mistake attacking with them as I would my inverted.  A few rocket zero spin shots and a couple of loops against backspin... But I refuse to do that on purpose so that I do not ruin my inverted style.

Commentary:

Michael thought it totally suited my style to use LP the way I was.  He is mostly a defender like me that loves to move back from the table.  

Simon only said the way I used the LP was more troubling than everyone else he plays who clean blocks everything.   He said I chop down on everything making it hard to know just how much of what is on the ball.  Which is partly true because I was chopping, and flat blocking too.  

As with every advantage there are disadvantages.   I rarely mixed up how to do the shots but there were a few...  

Overall the grubba felt off balance or just not right again playing half the time.  Simon could not block my loops that landed with backhand though.... so yes I could do some slow grazy big action loops that still work with it.  And even from a distance, they not be piercing but they seemed powerfully spinny (although they took great effort)

---

I don't see myself playing at a very high level in future.  I don't think I will get to the best I played over 10 years ago because I just don't have the time and body for it.  So my attitude to playing table tennis should not about playing the most winning style only.  It should be about doing what I enjoy.

Playing with the LP over the last couple of days puts a smile on my face often.  And I quote Michael saying after a very long rally "That is what table tennis is about"

---

Just bought 

YINHE Neptune Pips-Long Galaxy .7 sponge 

Under $8 AU delivered.

I am not fussed on maximum reversal, more interested in better blocking ability against hard loopers and chopping from a distance.

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 05/05/2022 at 12:28am
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic