Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Choosing short pips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Choosing short pips
    Posted: 12/02/2021 at 6:49pm
I'm looking for some fresh ideas for a new sheet of short pips to be used on BH of my Primorac Carbon blade. My strategy is to use BH for quick attacks and blocks close to the table, gain the advantage quickly (e.g. by forcing a weak return from the opponent) and use my FH to overpower the opponent with spin and speed. 

I've used challenger attack and dr neubauer explosion, and I tend to like a thinner sponge (1.2-1.5) much more than a thicker one (better control and it provides an option to land balls just behind the net which is in good contrast with a FH looping attack). 

Any suggestions? Anything having good control, insensivity to spin allowing flat hits but also providing some levels of deception? 

Sponsored Links

TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2021 at 8:29pm
If you want some deception effect I suggest a medium pip.
Spinlord Keiler is a good one, I know a player using it with thin sponge and his BH shots always put opponents in trouble.
But such style requires a dominant FH. This guy has it, wins most of points with FH.
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2021 at 9:40am
I have used short pips for the last 20 years.  I tried more than 20 different short pips.  I played exactly how you described.  I stay close to the table and counter everything on my backhand and use my forehand to smash weak returns.

It doesn't matter what type of ball we use over the years.  I found that Moristo SP and Spectol 21 are the most reliable pips for my game.  They seems slow at times, but the overall performance is much better than other short pips.  Again, these are for my game.
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2021 at 7:11am
What's the difference between Spectol and Spectol 21?

Edited by Rollko - 12/17/2021 at 7:11am
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2021 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Rollko Rollko wrote:

What's the difference between Spectol and Spectol 21?
Sponge and 21 is  easier to block.
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2021 at 2:59pm
How is the sponge different exactly? Softer/harder? Speedglue effect? 
Love_my_dog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Love_my_dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2021 at 4:02pm
in general, the thinner the rubber, the funnier the return of the ball in the opponent's table, although the slower the speed of the ball.

if you want to play fast, choose a thicker rubber; if you want play tricky game, choose a thinner rubber.
------------
Keep active
Viscaria ALC (CS); FH: D09C; BH: Moristo LP
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2021 at 12:56am
Originally posted by Rollko Rollko wrote:

How is the sponge different exactly? Softer/harder? Speedglue effect? 

Softer sponge not tension but is easier to use I dont know if its the same topsheet but many top players use it on FH
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2021 at 2:21am
I've tried most of the modern SPs on my FH and recommend what I'm using now: TSP Spinpips Blue 1.4mm.
BBC, SP, LP
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2021 at 2:50am
Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

I've tried most of the modern SPs on my FH and recommend what I'm using now: TSP Spinpips Blue 1.4mm.

How does it play?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic