Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stiga Cybershape Blade Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2022 at 7:36pm
I noticed on the AliExpress site where some of these cheap imitations are sold.

They are using official Stiga background photos too.

Im wondering doesn't patent pending mean it can't be duplicated?

Dr. Cho

Sponsored Links

Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2022 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Dr.Cho Dr.Cho wrote:

First of all "patent pending" doesn't mean much, just that a patent application has been filed but it has not been reviewed and granted yet. Often patent applications need to changed (or sometimes even completely dropped) once they are reviewed as some claims might be disallowed due to existing prior art. Then it would also be important to know in which countries and regions the application was filed since you only get the patent protection in the countries you filed. The more countries and regions you file in, the higher your fees are which can be quite substantial so this is often also an important consideration. And then there are a few countries where it tends to be notoriously difficult for foreign companies to have their patents legally enforced as courts will often rule in favor of the local company.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2022 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

First of all "patent pending" doesn't mean much, just that a patent application has been filed but it has not been reviewed and granted yet. Often patent applications need to changed (or sometimes even completely dropped) once they are reviewed as some claims might be disallowed due to existing prior art. Then it would also be important to know in which countries and regions the application was filed since you only get the patent protection in the countries you filed. The more countries and regions you file in, the higher your fees are which can be quite substantial so this is often also an important consideration. And then there are a few countries where it tends to be notoriously difficult for foreign companies to have their patents legally enforced as courts will often rule in favor of the local company.
don't be shy just say "in China"
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2022 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

don't be shy just say "in China"
There are some other countries as well though they may not be as relevant for TT.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2022 at 1:30am
what are people pairing this blade with?

ARCH is low but far 

I have Nittaku G1 Fastarc on both sides

Compared to HUGO HAL - the Hal definitely is slower, more control, higher arch and more flex 

Cyber shape is leaning more for flat hitters. This thing is great at service receive. It’s like a mini return board. 

Curious how Dignics 05 on the backhand will work. I felt the G1 too soft on this blade 

I am a total Newb. Come at me!
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2022 at 3:44am
Originally posted by mon22 mon22 wrote:

ARCH is low but far 

Compared to HUGO HAL - the Hal definitely is slower, more control, higher arch and more flex 

Cyber shape is leaning more for flat hitters. This thing is great at service receive. It’s like a mini return board. 

Curious how Dignics 05 on the backhand will work. I felt the G1 too soft on this blade 

I just purchased mine cpen version too!  Can't wait to try it out!
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2022 at 8:08am
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

ARCH is low but far 

I just purchased mine cpen version too!  Can't wait to try it out!

DNA Dragon Grip for forehand and DNA Platinum M for backhand works really well. 

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2022 at 9:28am

ARCH is low but far 

I just paired it with good old boosted Hurricane 3 and it's starting to work amazing. So on softer shots the Hurricane 3 topsheet will do it's magic (short game, serve, receive), but on harder shots for eg loops the blade will provide the much needed speed that Hurricane lacks. 

I think on the BH D05 will also work amazing, although I currently have V15 extra on BH which has it's advantages although it's not as spinny as D05 - namely more linear control and being relatively spin insensitive which allows for really easy chiquitas and service receive. I dig this setup at the moment. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2022 at 9:58am

Cyber shape is leaning more for flat hitters. 

Flat hitters? It's a looping blade. My son plays with V>15 extra on his cybershape, both sides, and it's a looping monster.
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2022 at 1:02pm
I’m sure anyone can loop with any blades.

Based on my experience in COMPARISON to a Hugo Hal at 5.8mm thickness or TB ZLC at 5.6mm.

It’s “leaning” and excelling better at flat hits. 

Happy for your son though. 
bard romance View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2022 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

Cyber shape is leaning more for flat hitters. 

Flat hitters? It's a looping blade. My son plays with V>15 extra on his cybershape, both sides, and it's a looping monster.

I don't think it's an unreasonable description. Every blade can be looped with, and loops can vary from flatter with an emphasis on speed over spin to spinnier with emphasis on speed over spin. 

Stiga blades in general do tend to feel better when hitting through a bit more, and it's probably a good reason why Truls uses it. He punches and flat hits a lot. I think he has mentioned this in one of his interviews but am not 100% sure.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2022 at 5:44pm

Based on my experience in COMPARISON to a Hugo Hal at 5.8mm thickness or TB ZLC at 5.6mm.

I agree, the spin is not as much as say Viscaria or Hurricane Long series and imo it's one of the weaknesses of the blade. Having Hurricane does a lot to offset this issue though!
-------
Viscaria

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2022 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

I agree, the spin is not as much as say Viscaria or Hurricane Long series and imo it's one of the weaknesses of the blade. Having Hurricane does a lot to offset this issue though!
i would say it flat hits good because of the material which has similar. properties to zlc but I never experienced it as a blade that loops less effectively compared to Viscaria or Innerforce ALC blades. I would say it it drives and smashes easily though. 

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2022 at 3:55pm
recently transitioned to Tibhar Hybrid K3 on the forehand and felt the arc much safer

With the G1 i felt my FH had a lower trajectory coming off my racket -- K3 feels like a higher throw rubber and with its harder sponge a little more stable with my current stroke

tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2022 at 9:30am
funny TT11 still hasn't offered the Cybershape
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2022 at 10:14am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

I never experienced it as a blade that loops less effectively compared to Viscaria or Innerforce ALC blades.

Thank you. I agree 100%.  If anything this blade has a lot of dwell and IS a very nice looping blade. Does it smash well? Sure it does.    
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2022 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

funny TT11 still hasn't offered the Cybershape

Possibly a region locked type thing - like with butterfly products generally.

I don't want to really put money in dandoys pocket after they sold me a dud robot and refused to remediate that.

Also dandoy exclude the cybershape from the volume discount, you could pick up a cybershape for 180 euro less 30% if tt11 carried it and priced it competitively (tt11/dandoy are effectively the same price for 99% of products they share)

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2022 at 2:02am
Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

I never experienced it as a blade that loops less effectively compared to Viscaria or Innerforce ALC blades.

Thank you. I agree 100%.  If anything this blade has a lot of dwell and IS a very nice looping blade. Does it smash well? Sure it does.    

You can loop well with either blade, but I think the loops from the Cybershape are faster with less spin in general compared to the more traditional blades. The real test is in chiquita play, you can see how even Truls does only a half-hearted slow chiquita instead of the full-on aggressive high spin high speed chiquita from say Lin Yun Ju or Harimoto or Wang Chuqin, and almost always prefers the straight BH flip... 

-------
Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic