Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sponge thickness - Short pips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sponge thickness - Short pips
    Posted: 05/06/2022 at 5:17am
Hi guys,

It is broadly accepted that thinner sponge in short pips leads to more disruption and flat balls.

What thickness do Mattias Falck and Mima Ito use? I've got an inkling that they're using max sponge - if so, why would they do that? Is that because they want to prioritise speed capabilities as pimple disruption at a higher level is not really a problem for the opponents?

What thickness would you recommend for drives/flat hits etc (anything but chopping)?

Thank you
Sponsored Links

BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2022 at 7:21am
I read on a forum that Mima uses 1.8.  Nittaku calls 1.8 thick, 2.0 super-thick.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2022 at 10:25am
When I used SP in the past my choice was always the maximum thickness available.
But I was a SP penholder and the SP was my main rubber.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2022 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Rollko Rollko wrote:

Hi guys,

It is broadly accepted that thinner sponge in short pips leads to more disruption and flat balls.

What thickness do Mattias Falck and Mima Ito use? I've got an inkling that they're using max sponge - if so, why would they do that? Is that because they want to prioritise speed capabilities as pimple disruption at a higher level is not really a problem for the opponents?

What thickness would you recommend for drives/flat hits etc (anything but chopping)?

Thank you

1.8 and faster blade..more sponge gives more spin and more spin less disturbance more arc
kim_taek_soo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim_taek_soo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2022 at 12:45pm
I agree with mykonos96. 1.8 is the right thickness for hitting.

Falck uses thicker sponge because he needs more spin on his FH. I think spin is very important at the pro level because you need to be able to open the rally (i.e., loop) with your FH, even if you are using pips. I guess Falck still gets some disruption on certain shots, but IMO it is not a big part of his strategy.
BTY Neutrino R

Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0

My feedback: https://mytabletennis.net/forum/topic92859.html
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2022 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by kim_taek_soo kim_taek_soo wrote:

I agree with mykonos96. 1.8 is the right thickness for hitting.

Falck uses thicker sponge because he needs more spin on his FH. I think spin is very important at the pro level because you need to be able to open the rally (i.e., loop) with your FH, even if you are using pips. I guess Falck still gets some disruption on certain shots, but IMO it is not a big part of his strategy.

Pips used by pros are not the same version  compared to comercial version.I ve used a nittaku pips comercial and pro version  it was diffrent.
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2022 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Rollko Rollko wrote:

Hi guys,

Thank you

I'm using Falck's pips in Max on the FH.

If you want more options, its unbelievable.

You can flat hit with ease if your technique is good [say 50% easier than with inverted], especially for spinny balls [Topspin or backspin], and still generate a lot of spin with loops, pushes etc. One of my main issues in deciding to change from MX-P (inverted) to SP on the FH was I didn't want to miss the joy of looping. For me, looping is even easier now - Counter-looping, or simply opening loops against backspin/topspin is more stable, looping vs no spin is more difficult though [than with inverted].

That's absolutely fine, especially considering you can flat hit your way out of any spin [or lack of] anyways, and most people don't seem to understand that ironically the no-spin ball is the only moderately troubling ball for SP.

If you went with thinner sponge, the flat hitting would be even easier, but your potential to generate spin would be significantly lower. This would necessitate a more passive/rallying/deceptive style, unless you're able to be early and take the ball off the bounce / at its apex, like the professional SP's of old. But if you have that physicality I would argue go Falck's way, and have more tools [loops etc] against other Pros.

I even serve with the pips around 30% of the time, as it leads to the opponent needing to pay attention to one more thing - which side I'm serving with [pressure], and having a poorer time gauging the spin level. So say you have 3 main pendulum serves, you now have 6 different 'gears.' The fact I'm very comfortable looping and killing on both sides of a 3rd ball make it a potent combo.

If you want to be disruptive and create unforced errors, thinner pips are more effective.

If you want to play with a more physical style that involves creating speed and spin, max sponge pips is the only choice IMO.

I'm not going to comment on pips on the BH, as that's something that to me wouldn't suit me at all so I haven't bothered to investigate how they feel at all.

Edited by Basquests - 05/07/2022 at 9:10pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic