Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glue layers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glue layers
    Posted: 07/05/2022 at 11:38pm
Interested to know how many layers of glue to the blade and how many to rubbers when you glue a new rubber?

Saw a revolution no 3 video and he did 3 layers to rubber and 2 to the blade. Is that the standard amount of glue everyone is using? 
My trade feedback here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40170&title=viva-buy-sell-feedback
Sponsored Links

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2022 at 5:37am
At least 1 on blade and 2 on rubber. Additional layers depend on the glue. More for runny glue, less for viscous glue. Butterfly ran an experiment several years ago and concluded more glue could be detrimental to bounce.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2022 at 8:16am
I only ever put a single layer on both the rubber and the blade, perhaps my layers are thicker than yours.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2022 at 9:20am
Single layer on both with water based glues and with rubber cement for a new set up. Rarely if I am regluing a previously glued rubber to a new paddle I may just do one layer on the new paddle is the rubber is tacky to touch-or do a very light refresher if not.
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2022 at 11:14am
with light water based glue, 2 for rubber, 1 for blade.

for my own, 3 layers of booster (for my fh, 1 layer for my bh), with 2 layers of glue on rubber, and 2 layers of glue on blade.
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2022 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

I only ever put a single layer on both the rubber and the blade, perhaps my layers are thicker than yours.

Does the whole layer come off in 1 go from the sponge?
My trade feedback here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40170&title=viva-buy-sell-feedback
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2022 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

At least 1 on blade and 2 on rubber. Additional layers depend on the glue. More for runny glue, less for viscous glue. Butterfly ran an experiment several years ago and concluded more glue could be detrimental to bounce.

Ever do more than those amounts likr rev no 3 gluing video?
Just wondering benefits if any
My trade feedback here:
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2022 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

Single layer on both with water based glues and with rubber cement for a new set up. Rarely if I am regluing a previously glued rubber to a new paddle I may just do one layer on the new paddle is the rubber is tacky to touch-or do a very light refresher if not.

Does rubber cement negatively affect the rubber any? How easy is it to remove?
My trade feedback here:
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2022 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

for my own, 3 layers of booster (for my fh, 1 layer for my bh), with 2 layers of glue on rubber, and 2 layers of glue on blade.

More than 1 layer for booster? 
Do you find more than 1 layer makes it easier to remove?

Does the extra glue help with more elasticity?

My trade feedback here:
cloudwalker View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cloudwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2022 at 11:24pm
For thinner glue, two on the rubber, one on the blade. Thin layers as well. The sponge will absorb a bit of the first layer and you won't have full coverage, hence two layers.
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2022 at 6:19am
Originally posted by viva viva wrote:

Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

More than 1 layer for booster? 
Do you find more than 1 layer makes it easier to remove?

Does the extra glue help with more elasticity?

Yes, yes, yes
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2022 at 7:48am
I use 1 layer of revolution 3 on the rubber, then, after drying, i layer of finezip on the rubber and 1 (big) on the blade.
If it is a boosted rubber, 3 layers on the rubber

Edited by kakapo - 07/07/2022 at 7:50am
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2022 at 9:16am

A mild boosting effect, especially for the first session or two. Much easier to remove and do anything with over water based glue. Technically illegal-but after a week or two it essentially plays the same as water based glues. Much cheaper and easy to find. 
Static View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2022 at 11:37am

A mild boosting effect, especially for the first session or two. Much easier to remove and do anything with over water based glue. Technically illegal-but after a week or two it essentially plays the same as water based glues. Much cheaper and easy to find. 

Only downsides I have found is that it clumps a little more and doesn't spread as easily (still it's not hard to apply an even layer). Also wouldn't recommend using it without edge tape, the rubber can get loose when hitting the table as it doesn't stick as well as wbg. Both things might just be because of the brand I used though.  
Innerforce ALC, FH: Tenergy 19, BH:EL-P
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2022 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by kakapo kakapo wrote:

I use 1 layer of revolution 3 on the rubber, then, after drying, i layer of finezip on the rubber and 1 (big) on the blade.

Any particular advantage to using 2 different glues?
My trade feedback here:
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2022 at 3:00am

Originally posted by kakapo kakapo wrote:

Any particular advantage to using 2 different glues?

Finezip is better but more expensive and the 1st layer is not the most important.
As I glue many blades an very often, also for other players and testers, I can save a few hundreds dollars a year

Edited by kakapo - 07/08/2022 at 3:22am
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2022 at 1:18pm

Interested to know how many layers of glue to the blade and how many to rubbers when you glue a new rubber?

Saw a revolution no 3 video and he did 3 layers to rubber and 2 to the blade. Is that the standard amount of glue everyone is using? 

I do this .... and I also tried Rev 3 in two different viscosities..
The thinnest one I do 3-4 layers on the rubber and 2 on the blade.
For a medium one I do 2-3 layers on the rubber and 2 on the blade. 

p.s. I am a former Finezip fan but find Revolution 3 to be a good replacement and easier to deal with and remove.
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2022 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

p.s. I am a former Finezip fan but find Revolution 3 to be a good replacement and easier to deal with and remove.

+1 to this. I am using the thicker medium viscocity Revolution no 3 right now and I have noticed that 3 layers on the sponge and 2 on the blade works the best in terms of the overall feeling of the rubber and also ensuring that the rubbers are glued to the blades well.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2022 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by anubhav1984 anubhav1984 wrote:

Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

+1 to this. I am using the thicker medium viscocity Revolution no 3 right now and I have noticed that 3 layers on the sponge and 2 on the blade works the best in terms of the overall feeling of the rubber and also ensuring that the rubbers are glued to the blades well.

Does doing so make the glue come off the rubber and blade in one or two big chunks?
My trade feedback here:
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2022 at 3:51pm

Does doing so make the glue come off the rubber and blade in one or two big chunks?

Yes. You need at least 3-4 evenly applied layers of glue on the sponge for it to be easy to come out in one or few chunks. I end up using about a quarter sized drop of glue for each layer on a fresh rubber. I have lately been building up 3-4 layers on the sponge and 2 on the blade and the glue is coming off like a charm.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2022 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by anubhav1984 anubhav1984 wrote:

Yes. You need at least 3-4 evenly applied layers of glue on the sponge for it to be easy to come out in one or few chunks. I end up using about a quarter sized drop of glue for each layer on a fresh rubber. I have lately been building up 3-4 layers on the sponge and 2 on the blade and the glue is coming off like a charm.

That sounds promising I will try this next time I order revolution 3 glue. Thank you.
My trade feedback here:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic