Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

BH: Low vs High throw

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BH: Low vs High throw
    Posted: 06/01/2023 at 8:44pm
Hi all,

I'm slowly settling down with a FH rubber, but still figuring out what kind of rubber to use on BH. 

It seems to me that it boils down to two broad categories - lower throw and high throw rubbers. 

What would be the pros and cons for each category? The specimens I have in mind are Tibhar K3 (low) and Dignics 09c (high) but it should apply to any similar rubbers too.

It feels to me that low throw rubbers are better for blocking a hitting through spin (reminds me of my old short pimples i used to use), whereas high throw rubbers are easier to use for open-ups and spin and sharp backspins, but somewhat lack control.
Sponsored Links

TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2023 at 8:49am
I´ve never tried D09c, but D05. You are right about the ease of opening topspins in any situation, but it does not lack control at all. Actually it is one of the most controllable rubbers I have ever tested. 
Because its insane durability the rubber is always "new", with a shining topsheet. This allows a behavior always identical, with a huge amount of spin. For me, the worst rubber to control is that one which has lost its original grip but is still playable.
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2023 at 3:54pm
There is no general answer to this.  It really depends on how you like to play with your BH.
I have used both low throw and high throw rubbers on my BH with good success, albeit on different blades.  Since I rely on fairly spinny BH openers, as long as it has a reasonably grippy topsheet, I can use it.
I ended up settling on Dignics 05, mostly because it does everything pretty well.  However, that's on a fairly fast blade.  I did not like it nearly as much on a flexy blade.  Tenergy 05 Hard was excellent on flexier blades. 

You pretty much have to try a few rackets and see what feels good to you.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
Valiantsin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2023 at 10:52pm
Myself prefer to think more in terms of linear vs non linear bounce.
If I am a little boy with insane footwork speed - using bouncy rubber.
If I am a grown up with strong explosive muscles - use linear.
And in the middle - other variants (slightly speed + slightly muscles) but main is - muscles vs speed as most of us not professionals who have both speed and muscles.

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2023 at 12:47am
FWIW, I used to have a pretty strong bh loop and the best bh combos offering me that "Cannot miss" feel were [Stiga Tube Aluminum + Globe 999], [Nittaku Violin + about anything Big smile], [MJ ZLC + Palio Blitz 2.0], [TB ALC + BTY Sriver 1.9], [Xiom Vega Pro + BTY T80FX]. The latest one was probably the absolute best in terms of enjoyement but all were so reliable. That list tells me I preferred linear and not too bouncy.

I would 1st try cheap chinese rubber, thin sponge and medium tacky topsheet on a composite blade and see from there, you might be surprised about how fast you progress because the trust you will put in a dead but highly reliable combo --> if it's dead you can go for it all the way and from there you develop that wrist snap that's so essential in the bh loop.

Good luck!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic