Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Increasing arm speed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Increasing arm speed
    Posted: 02/14/2007 at 3:54pm
What kind of training is best for increasing arm speed? When watching Wang Liqin and Timo Boll, it's amazing how fast their arms can move in a forehand loop. What kind of training is best for this?

Muscle training, doing many reps of light weights?
Maybe doing lots of loop strokes with a heavy racket, or a weight?

-   pimpmyracket   -

729 Dynasty Hinoki Carbon, FL
Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
Sponsored Links

Ksix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ksix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2007 at 4:08pm

light weights lots of reps...thats why most tt players arent buff...

わが青春に悔なし
YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2007 at 5:07pm
Armspeed is a combination of maximum arm strength training and natural ability. This means that you can only increase your armspeed to a certain genetically predetermined maximum. It's the same with boxing and 100m dash. Joe average can train as much as he likes to but he'll never run the 100m below 10 seconds or ever have a KO punch like Mike Tyson.

The best way to train your armspeed in TT is by simply playing TT and going for maximum arm speed. One of the best ways to do this is playing against good defenders with a very heavy chop or relooping topspin rallies. Much of this is technique though. It's not only the arm, it's waist and legs in the first place.
DjdaForrce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjdaForrce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2007 at 6:19pm
Good Point there YATTP!
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2007 at 6:33pm

I'm struggling with this problem also. In my understanding the power is generated from arm, forearm (there is dispute on this between chineese coaches and other country coaches), waist and how fast you hit. I do loop, but I can effectively use the whole system only one out of 4 strokes - I have seen those loops have tremendous power. Practice, Practice and Practice. Don't take too much weight, play more and train your muscles.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2007 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by YATTP YATTP wrote:

Armspeed is a combination of maximum arm strength training and natural ability. This means that you can only increase your armspeed to a certain genetically predetermined maximum. It's the same with boxing and 100m dash. Joe average can train as much as he likes to but he'll never run the 100m below 10 seconds or ever have a KO punch like Mike Tyson.

The best way to train your armspeed in TT is by simply playing TT and going for maximum arm speed. One of the best ways to do this is playing against good defenders with a very heavy chop or relooping topspin rallies. Much of this is technique though. It's not only the arm, it's waist and legs in the first place.

While I agree there's a max potential that is different for everyone, I also believe that anyone who gets proper technical training and proper strength training can be very, very good.

But I have to disagree that the best method is just to keep playing and swinging your hardest. There must be an exercise regiment that is more beneficial than just playing and swinging your hardest. So far it looks like low-weight, high-repetition exercises would be the best.

-   pimpmyracket   -

Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2007 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by varghesep varghesep wrote:

I'm struggling with this problem also. In my understanding the power is generated from arm, forearm (there is dispute on this between chineese coaches and other country coaches), waist and how fast you hit. I do loop, but I can effectively use the whole system only one out of 4 strokes - I have seen those loops have tremendous power. Practice, Practice and Practice. Don't take too much weight, play more and train your muscles.

Yeah I've noticed that Wang Liqin's loop stroke seems to not use any forearm motion; it's pretty much purely the whole arm (shoulder pivot) and torso.

Watching the "BIGPOINTS2006 (part1)" video in this thread, I see that:
- Wang Liqin uses no forearm swing at all
- Timo Boll uses a little bit of forearm, starting with an open angle of 100-degrees, and ending at about 80-degrees
- Gao Ning and Oh Sang Eun use more forearm, starting with an open angle of about 160-degrees, and ending at about 90-degrees

To clarify, a straight arm has an open angle of 180-degrees, and a right-angle (forearm is perpendicular to bicep/tricep) is 90-degrees.

In the last point of that video (Wang Liqin vs. Wang Hao), you'll see how blisteringly fast Wang Liqin's arm moves. That's the clip that really got me thinking. And if he decided to incorporate even 60-degrees of forearm swing, I figure he could add even more noticeable power, unless my understanding of the mechanics is incorrect.

-   pimpmyracket   -

Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
joubtt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joubtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2007 at 8:45pm
Good points.  Also, the time it takes your eyes to focus, coordinating those movements, and not using brute force.  And a huge overlooked factor is confidence.
JUIC Hybrid(Fl) w/999 Chinese sponge
JUIC Hybrid(Fl) w/Galaxy 9000
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2007 at 4:41am
The reason Wang Liqin doesn't need a forearm snap is because he swings into the ball so that his bodyweight is behind it, much more reliable way of getting power. Wang Hao and all the new generation of Chinese players do it as well.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2007 at 7:20am
Guys dont just look at the arm swing. The drive of the top player starts at the ankles!
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
tatan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2007 at 1:17pm
it depends mostly on ur balance and how well u r watching the ball.if u can balance urselve from the start till the end of a shot u will see ur arm speed is much better and the rithm will be good also.look at kong for both.wang tao also very good.also u can watch inside out shots of a jpen player to see the balance through out the shot
1)ZJ fl(89 gm) fh T05 red max bh T05 fx black max
2)TBS fl(89 gm) fh T05 black max bh GKI hybrid gx red max
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2007 at 2:23pm
simple.  use a lighter racket.  there are a lot of lightweight blades and rubbers out there now.
ryno View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2007 at 2:39pm
get yourself a weighted training blade. they are around $30 .they are around 500 grams .I use one just practice your natural swing in front of a mirror for 30 minutes a day.
Red Label Kim Taek Soo (83g)
Almana Sound Synergy Tech (max)
kmh888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmh888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2007 at 2:39pm
For big power looping u need the bodyweight..
for re looping u need the quik arm snap.

do lots of light reps very quickly.
Gatien Extra
FH: Hurricane Provincial
BH: Palio CJ800 Speed

Special thick glue
zerowings007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zerowings007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2007 at 3:00pm
All of you are correct.
Quick arm snap is one style.

The whole idea is to transfer the whole body power into the ball at the right timing. It is similar to a golf swing or a tennis swing with a minor difference.

need to find the perfect timing. it is not easy task.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2007 at 3:47pm
A heavy training racket sounds good. I think I'll give that a try.

-   pimpmyracket   -

Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
sverige View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sverige Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2007 at 5:28pm

All the people with short arm uses alot of underarm, and wrist(at least Timo Boll). But not people like Zoran Primorac.

Donic J-O Waldner Carbon Senso
Donic J-O Waldner red 2,3(bh)
DHS Hurricane 3 black 2,2(fh)
HKdude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HKdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2007 at 6:12pm
I think you should practice strokes underwater.
There are no stupid questions; only stupid people... I'm probably not referring to you
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic