Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Full match - comments welcome

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Full match - comments welcome
    Posted: 02/18/2013 at 6:38am
Hi guys,

This is my match of yesterday in the league (third division):

http://youtu.be/jed8KfUrXcA?t=32s

I am the one in black.

I wonder what my US ranking would be. What do you say?

I am playing in the third division in my country, but hope to be in the second next year.

My equipment: fh: aurus max. Bh: sigma europe max; blade: clipper wood 96 grams.

I think I should increase the blade speed because my loops were too short.

Also I think I need more arc on fh. I am going to try m2 and m1 instead of aurus.

Anyway, comments are welcome. :)

Edit: What I notice: my opponent was good at varying the amount of bh backspin in push. So some of my opening loops went long. I did not realize in time some of the pushes were almost flat. Second , he quickly discovered my main weakness: responding to short flat service on fh. I need to learn to respond with bh flip, or to keep them low and short with fh. Third, I seriously need to improve my bh loop.

Edited by seguso - 02/18/2013 at 7:15am
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
Sponsored Links

seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 7:09am
LOL.

I am afraid poor ZJK will have a tough time. Ma Long is in top form and he is still recovering...
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 7:27am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

You definitely can loop with your fh and I watched some crazy cool rallies; recovery is great.

If I have to criticize I would say this (are you ready?): when your buddy is looping hard you just block putting your blade in front of you like you respect him and do not want to counter loop him; the fact is I saw you many times having enough time to snap your fh on his fh loops and even more:

I saw that too, and I think the reason is my feet were wrong. I had just played a bh topspin, and I hadn't recovered properly, so the right foot was still foreword, left was backwards. I am working on this.

It might be mental attitude, as you say, but I think it's the wrong feet position.

Thank for the rest of your comments :)
nikk64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikk64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 8:35am
Seguso good game, watch a little lower center of gravity of the body. I wish you success!
Butterfly Boll Tricarbon off , FH- Armstrong Attack 8 PZC-SP EX-X- 4.0 , RPB-Butterfly Tenergy 80-FX- max
video-https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0vx5
dalamchops View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 8:40am
only maybe 2% of players on the forum are good enough to really critique your game. You're far better than most on here.
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 8:42am
Originally posted by nikk64 nikk64 wrote:

Seguso good game, watch a little lower center of gravity of the body. I wish you success!

Thank you man. It is very difficult to stay lower. I tried but it does not give immediate improvements. Apparently I become slower, not faster. Also, I have to change the swing, because my blade hits the right knee on fh... more than lower, I think I have to keep my legs wider. which is the same in a sense.
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 8:46am
Originally posted by dalamchops dalamchops wrote:

only maybe 2% of players on the forum are good enough to really critique your game. You're far better than most on here.

Really? Very well, I can quit then. Sleepy

Edited by seguso - 02/18/2013 at 8:47am
tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 9:20am
You have a lovely BH close to the table. Great wrist snap. As you say, it's less consistent and weaker away from the table. Your FH is a strange one, as you have a decent loop, although the action is a little stiff and straight up for my tastes - a very good player would counter loopdrive your opening loop, as it's too much 'up' spin and not enough power and placement. I'd say you need to get more of your legs and hips into your FH loop, and especially your third ball.

Your short FH game is just about ok, given that you play with a brick. Before I watched the video, and based on your equipment, I thought you might be a penholder, or at least a wicked-serve-and-third-ball-kill kind of player. But you're not: you're a softish looper with a good BH. A 96g Clipper Wood doesn't seem like the right blade for you, and that seems very apparent in your short FH serve returns - you don't seem to have much touch there. A lighter 5-ply may also help you to read the amount of spin on pushes better, and increase your blade speed (you'd need to have a Wang Liqin physique to bring a 96g blade through with enough force to kill the point over and over again.)

That's it for now! (And, as everyone else has been putting caveats, I am better than you, but that doesn't mean I'm a good coach!)
T05 2.1 | VISCARIA | T64 1.9
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 9:43am
thank you tabten5, your suggestions are interesting. there are a couple of things I need to explain.

as for my fh opening loop, the problem is that the guys I train with have a heavy push, so my opening loop barely passes the net. Another problem is that I was never sure how much backspin was in the push of my opponent, as I don't have a lot of experience, so I lifted a lot more than I should.

more in general, I tend to play safe in opening loops because I am not good at reading the amount of spin of the ball. (I have been playing table tennis for 3 years only).

as for the blade: I chose a heavy stiff 7-ply blade because it is the only one which gives me enough power to finish the point against slow balls, without being too hard (and therefore bouncy). For example, if I were to use a lighter blade, or a more flexible blade, it would also have to be much harder, and then service response would become a problem. in particular bh over-the-table flip, which I am still developing. service response is still my main weakness.

In other words, my heavy clipper wood is slow when you want play safe, because it is soft. But it has (barely) enough power to kill against dead balls, assuming I do a full-arm swing.

Edited by seguso - 02/18/2013 at 9:43am
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 9:46am
Originally posted by tabten5 tabten5 wrote:

a very good player would counter loopdrive your opening loop

That's exactly what happens to me usually. But I find this is useful because this way I get quick at recovering. And I can't really be more aggressive at opening loop because I can't read the spin well enough. That ability will come with time I guess.
bonggoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonggoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Sucmy jagon Sucmy jagon wrote:

Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

YOU SUCK MAN!!!!  sorry just kidding I am just waiting for the final ml/zjk; I'll be watching your game and brb to comment; ciao.

Why would you post that? Just say nothing wtf. You guys around 2100-2250

I would lean towards the higher end of your estimate. We have a few 2200 level players in my club, and in my opinion, and he plays a little bit better than them.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 1:57pm
Seguso
Okay, that is an interesting exercise - I am a little weaker than you, in my club (Eastern US) I think you would be around 1800-1900. I wonder how you like your: (a) ready position, (b) footwork, and (c) focus level when attacking? I don't know, it is easy to become critical, but that's what we wanna do here, right? Cheers.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Seguso
Okay, that is an interesting exercise - I am a little weaker than you, in my club (Eastern US) I think you would be around 1800-1900. I wonder how you like your: (a) ready position, (b) footwork, and (c) focus level when attacking? I don't know, it is easy to become critical, but that's what we wanna do here, right? Cheers.

Thank you. I don't like the footwork and my focus level when attacking. In particular, as I said, I am slow to realize the spin on the incoming ball, that's why my third ball is weak I think. I think this will come with experience. About the slow footwork, I think it might be due to the fact that I still think a lot when playing. As for the ready position, I don't see a problem; I sit ready to respond to long flat service on bh with a loop; if the ball is short, I move the right foot forwards and try to bh flip.
pingponger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 2:32pm
Great video.  Not sure I have the right to say a rating, being just a beginner.  But I do see a couple of players where I play, and they play like you in many ways.  They are between 1800 - 2000.

Side question:
I often see those wooden racks on the wall in many European TT videos held in gyms.  What are those for?

bonggoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonggoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Seguso

I think he is a bit stronger than your estimate. I am over 2000 and I don't think I can beat him. Except maybe a fast rising overly under rated junior, I haven't seen an 1800-1900 level player loop consistently, forehand and backhand like him.

Edited by bonggoy - 02/18/2013 at 2:39pm
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 2:36pm
You are a very good player. The only critique I can honestly say is bend your knees a bit more. Other than that I don't have the authority and ability to critique someone clearly better than me.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by pingponger pingponger wrote:

Side question:
I often see those wooden racks on the wall in many European TT videos held in gyms.  What are those for? 

Ha - yeah, that's funny - I've never thought about those not being around here in the US. Anyway, I grew up in Europe and they were in pretty much any gym (school gyms, that is) that I can recall. They called "ribs" and are used for various exercises during gym classes.

Sorry if I added to the side-tracking to your thread, Seguso. I watched your video, and enjoyed it (I generally like watching other members here play, because then you get an idea of who you're "talking to" here). I'm bad at guessing ratings kind of stuff, but what others have said about a US rating in the 1800-1900 range is probably likely.

If you don't mind, I'll add your video to the "Videos of MYTT members" thread. Smile

Edited by Pondus - 02/18/2013 at 2:59pm
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Pondus Pondus wrote:

Side question:

If you don't mind, I'll add your video to the "Videos of MYTT members" thread. Smile

Of course I don't mind.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Those wooden racks I don't think have ever been used in the last thirty years. I think in the past they used them to hang children who misbehaved.  Embarrassed

That gym was old and nearby Naples. Other parts of Italy are in better shape :)

Edited by seguso - 02/18/2013 at 2:58pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 3:04pm
Seguso, 

You are a better player than myself, so I have little to say.  I would place you at 2000+, with the potential to be higher if you have more diversity to your game than you've shown here and the potential to be lower if your opponent can exploit aspects of your game not shown. 

The one thing that was not shown was your within the table game.  Your opponent never forced you to use it. 

I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Pingvinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingvinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 3:18pm

Side question:

On the most basic level, in school gyms, just for climbing, like this: 

Later on, kids can do more or less advanced gymnastics drills. Climbing the bars upside-down and so on. So it can be a gateway for rock climbing or advanced gymnastics. 

Edited by Pingvinis - 02/18/2013 at 3:21pm
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Seguso, 

You are a better player than myself, so I have little to say.  I would place you at 2000+, with the potential to be higher if you have more diversity to your game than you've shown here and the potential to be lower if your opponent can exploit aspects of your game not shown. 

The one thing that was not shown was your within the table game.  Your opponent never forced you to use it. 

Let me think... what you didn't see in the video is basically:

short push against short service: good but not great. I can't take the ball early enough.

forehand flip on flat ball: I'm not very good but I am starting to do it.

forehand flip on backspin ball: I cannot do it at all.

block: I block fairly well, but I am not an active blocker like my opponent.

volley: I can do it very well but for some reason the umpire always gives the point to the opponent.

Edited by seguso - 02/18/2013 at 3:23pm
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 3:22pm
[duplicate post, sorry.]

Edited by seguso - 02/18/2013 at 3:22pm
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 3:28pm
Hi mate i think overall you have a nice smooth game, you seem to be able to spin up/ roll up most serves to your backhand, I would guess at your current division others don't attack that shot but higher level players will be waiting for it, so keep working on faster and more variable returns on that side
     Maybe a tiny bit more strategy when serving as you just tend to walk up and serve almost in the one movement, I think you should be thinking about third ball attacks as a rule rather than doing a med loop as this will be dominated at the next levels up,
 What I mean is If you know what you have done in your serve and you get your predicted return then that's the ones to attack, so practice a variety of serves that look the same , you will find some light top spin or no spin forehand serves to create pop ups and go all out,  I'm saying these service suggestions in contrast to say serving backspin and they backspin back and you doing a med loop

also watch some of the strategies of your top player to add to your game,and have some practice games focusing on third ball attack and don't look at the score
 but you are not bad for only 3 years of table tennis Thumbs Up

Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
khmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 3:32pm
I think that you are about 1875-1925 based on my club's players
in that range.

I guess that stiga ebenholz V maybe fit you more
after seeing your playing style.
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by dalamchops dalamchops wrote:

how you know?
Whang View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 3:41pm
Just my two cents..your footwork is kinda slow..it feels like your footwork follows where your upper body goes when it should be the one bringing your upper body where it needs to be. Hope that makes sense.

You can also add more follow through to some of your loops...sometimes the follow through stops at the arm level..I usually use my whole body for follow through on hard loops..but maybe that's just because I'm a penholder..

As for your backhand loops, you can try starting from a lower point than just table level. I'm no shakehander, but give it a try. :)

You should also start actively incorporating this to your shots:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUdE5JwY-eI

Just my two cents :)

Edited by davidwhang - 02/18/2013 at 3:45pm
Blade: Yasaka Gatien Extra (Penhold)

FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Black - 2.15mm - 41 deg)

BH: 729 Focus III Snipe (Red - 2.10mm - 42 deg)

Weight: 168.57g
Toprank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toprank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 3:53pm
I like your backhand a lot. Nice consistent controlled loops. Footwork and athleticism are your slight downfalls. I think you would have some difficulty keeping up with the pace of friend of mine that is 2100, but if you played him strategically you could give him a run. Your backhand is more consistent than his, but his forehand is a rocket launcher. He's real atheltic and young so he works around to use his forehand beautifully.
You would beat the handful of 1700 to 1800 guys that I play with handily. If it's safe to say you would fall in the 1950 to 2150 range. Somewhere in there.

Edited by Toprank - 02/18/2013 at 3:55pm
CURRENT BLADE- Ross Leidy White Lightning

FH- Haifu Blue Whale II

BH- Xiom Vega Europe
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Seguso, 

This summarizes exactly what I was thinking.

I'm very curious about the short game of both you and your opponent.  I didn't see many short pushes, so the rallies started very quickly.  Everything seemed to go off the table so the other guy could loop.  Without knowing more, this could be a weakness that just wasn't exploited or a strength that you and your opponent were avoiding.
It seemed odd to me that neither you or your opponent wanted to keep the ball short - almost like you were both content with the other guy opening.
The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 11:29pm
From a non-playing amateur photographer :) here's what i see *remember you asked on an open forum*

* you "jerk" your pushes, they work right now but you'll get even better action on the ball if you stop that.

* you arm a lot of the shots (not sure if it's due to exhaustion?) especially off the forehand, you need to start working those waist muscles especially for more action on the ball on your forehand  or else you'll continue to get tired fast becasue you build a lot of tension in your forearm just by "arming" the strokes.

*you tend to hit the majority of your balls facing the table with your belly button, this causes a loss in power to your strokes and you'll then start using your wrists too much to direct the ball again leading to tired forearms.

* all of the above can be improved once you start really working your footwork.

*you can return the favour when i post mine* Tongue

Edited by The Shakehander - 02/18/2013 at 11:31pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2013 at 12:15am
Here are Jim T's comments:

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Originally posted by Pondus Pondus wrote:

Video of member Seguso playing (wearing the all black outfit):

Good game. Four quick comments for seguso

a) work on your BH swing when you attack - it has to begin lower, from racket being dipped
b) maintain better balance - you need to recover your body equilibrium faster
c) work on executing your FH attack with some more power - you are relying a lot on good placement but often (against better opponents) you need more "oomph" so to speak.

Good touch, consistency, and very nice tenacity! FTW!
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic