Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Playing against an angry looper + smasher

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
forehandloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Playing against an angry looper + smasher
    Posted: 03/17/2007 at 1:00am
Hi all,

I have this query as to how to overcome some angry attackers. I play with an extremely aggresive partner, where he smacks almost every single ball I give him. He wins points through smacking in and loses through smacking out. our rallies usually last a grand total of 2-3 balls.

a sliced service to either side does not work as he is able to loop the ball over right to the edgy edge of the cornered corner. his backhand is less consistent than his forehand, but his footwork is extremely quick.

is there any way to play against this type of players? i have asked before and people suggested playing a defensive chopping style, but he is able to flip it back if it is close to the net or just loop it over to one side and im gone

any ideas how to overcome such angry people who only know how to smash? thanks
MALIN=Making A Loop Irritate Noobs

TIMOBOLL=Tt Includes More Of Body Odour, Lob Lowly

SAMSONOV=Slicing A Massive Spin Over Non-Oxygen Vessels

MALONG=My Attack Leads Our National Encyclopedia
Sponsored Links

reachie85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reachie85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2007 at 4:22am
lol, angry... is such a harsh word, he's just aggressive is all, i wouldn't call Kreanga an angry player.  if it is achievable, try short and low down spin forehand serves, that way even if he flips it, he shouldn't be able to put power into it.  alternate that with long speedy side spin backhand serves, might not work well, but should get him to back up a bit or step to the side of the table more.  if you do that often enough, combine it with forehand fast long serves and hopefully catch him off guard.
BL: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive CPen
FH: Haifu Blue Whale 2
BH: Nittaku Nodias
forehandsmash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandsmash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2007 at 5:19am
Hi forehandloop, thanks for the complient. FYI im aggressive, not angry. Yes i do have extremely good footwork without training. Can loop with great speed too. The best thing is when i do my WLQ serve, i tend to turn my head, lose a split sec of contreation. u can do a backhand flip. thats my weakness. Fyi our rallies dont last that shot. You defend and i attack by smashing can last at least 10 times total, about 15 seconds.
Petr Korbel-FL/Sriver/狂飚 III
agni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2007 at 6:32am
There is many ways to contain this style . Watch Malin vs Wang liqin or Ryu Syun Min vs wang liqin .

When a player has very good forehand then there are two strategies .

1. you should have a good serve . Serve low double bounce back spin with side spin . This will result in a not so strong flip or a push . Which can be then controlled loop on backhand . The logic is to keep the attack with you & not the other way around .

2. When the other guy is serving , Flip or push the ball in back hand . If it is long attack on the back hand . If the other person goes into fh from backhand the keep returning on bh & then put one on fh corner . Mostly it will be a winner or result in a week return .

3. A strong back spin serve is critical and I once saw wang liqin in a whole match mostly using back spin serve against ma lin . Also If youhave a good backhand flip & topspin then it is easier to keep the ball always on their backhand .
applegreen allplay senso v1

FH yasaka mark v 2.0
BH Sriver FX 2.0

YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2007 at 8:03pm
Against a hitter you play long low balls with lots of topspin. The longer the ball, the better. Vary the amount of topspin and place them in a way that he has to move a bit. This also works very well against penhold hitters with short pips if you are able to produce enough topspin.
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2007 at 8:31pm
I've been having the same problem with someone at my club and what makes it worse is the guy is kind of cocky and rude.

-ANYWAY short backspin serves to open up the rally would help.
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 3:47am
You have to gain your serve back, these players lose confidence when they're trading service points.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
forehandloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 4:06am
thanks for all the advice, i really need it after getting beaten in 3 straight sets yesterday. so i shud serve double bounce chop + sidespin services alternating with fast backhand balls, following the service i have to take control of the game by keeping on the attack, looping long balls with a hell lot of topspin rite?
MALIN=Making A Loop Irritate Noobs

TIMOBOLL=Tt Includes More Of Body Odour, Lob Lowly

SAMSONOV=Slicing A Massive Spin Over Non-Oxygen Vessels

MALONG=My Attack Leads Our National Encyclopedia
rustyfo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 11:22am
Originally posted by forehandloop forehandloop wrote:

Hi all,

I have this query as to how to overcome some angry attackers. I play with an extremely aggresive partner, where he smacks almost every single ball I give him. He wins points through smacking in and loses through smacking out. our rallies usually last a grand total of 2-3 balls.

a sliced service to either side does not work as he is able to loop the ball over right to the edgy edge of the cornered corner. his backhand is less consistent than his forehand, but his footwork is extremely quick.

is there any way to play against this type of players? i have asked before and people suggested playing a defensive chopping style, but he is able to flip it back if it is close to the net or just loop it over to one side and im gone

any ideas how to overcome such angry people who only know how to smash? thanks

1. Serve short with backspin
2. If its the forehand he smacks the ball with, keep the ball in his backhand.
3. Unless his footwork is great, slice the ball with lots of backspin into his elbow if you know what I mean, and to his backhand. If he's able to still loop easily when you do that, he's probably just simply clearly better than you overall.
joey5867 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey5867 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 12:03pm
Your Serve: Serve short with side or backspin and attack (loop) the third ball to his BH.

His serve: Top or side spin= flip to his BH
                 Backspin= receive short (if you know), or push with heavy backspin to his BH.
BLD: NITTAKU Sanalion S
FH: DONIC Sonex JP 2.0
BH: DONIC Sonex JP 2.0
rustyfo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 6:11pm
Yeah, agreed, if you are able to pull of those shots joey wrote, then thats the best thing. If he's a typical gung-ho player, its very likely that he will make a huge amount of errors if you push with backspin to his BH.
leeyong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leeyong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 6:53pm
well,
first what is his equipement? If he is forehandsmash, ie chinese rubber, I won't be surprise.

my serve against them will actually be mid distance ie the second drop of the bal is close to the edge of table, because too short the chinese rubber is great for flip. and variation is simply, spin/no spin, with medium speed (so that he has to geneerate all his own power). keep everything low. every now and then a shot heavy backspin to throw him off.

than my third shot wil stand back from the table and loop. (assuming he is not good at off the bounce hitting? than loop high and long FH and BH variation placement). people with H3 forehand, H2 backhand suggest he hits more with BH and loop/loop kill with FH and stand close to the table. so loop to FH because people great with off the bounce hitting close their blade and just hit through. so on BH placement try high LOBBING with a lot of topspin/than no spin instead of chop to get him off the table.

you just have to get better at returning his smash. normally people play this FH to FH and see if he can do FH to your BH. so long clock-wise side spin will come back most of the time on your FH and anticipate more with your own FH. ie short canti lock-wise spin to his BH will usually be push, drop or flip to your FH. (at least I can not consistently return this shot to my opponent BH because I will have to point my blade at my own table to execute such a ridiculus return). I think?, still working on my 3rd ball plan.

all and all, my friend is like this just than he is penhold. so I some time go for his weaker BH but if I do this too often he just step around and gave me his FH from the BH side.
BTY SC ST
BH: Bryce FX 2.1 FH: Sriver L 2.1

Stiga CL cpen
FH: Globe 999T on saviga 2.2 BH: Yasaka Mark V soft

Others: KTS, Darker speed 90, 30 (10mm) Jpen, Nittaku Septear ST, DHS 032 CS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic