Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

double spin service?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
forehandloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: double spin service?
    Posted: 03/20/2007 at 4:37am
Hi guys

Just a small query here. Is there such a think as a double spin serve? I once played with a senior coach and he was able to curl his service such that if I faced it with an open bat, it would both go out and wide.

according to him, not only must you drag the bat sideways for the sidespin, you also have to pull the blade upwards at the end of the stroke to add topspin to the ball.

so is it possible to add to different spinning directions to one single ball? it would be cool if there was such a thing
MALIN=Making A Loop Irritate Noobs

TIMOBOLL=Tt Includes More Of Body Odour, Lob Lowly

SAMSONOV=Slicing A Massive Spin Over Non-Oxygen Vessels

MALONG=My Attack Leads Our National Encyclopedia
Sponsored Links

shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 4:45am
yes I think u're referring to a side-topspin serve.
Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 4:48am
is it good 2 use? i never see (or notice) world class players using such services

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 4:54am
Pros always use sidespin with their bottom and top spin. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 5:00am
I never knew that. i always thought the pros never ever did topspin service because it is the easiest to smash, no matter how fast it is it can always be returned even more quickly. does the sidespin help nullify the problem? and does this service mean the ball is spinning diagonally?

dadab12 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadab12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 5:04am
they don't smash they flick the ball.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 5:05am
i usually flip whatever service i get whether low chop or fast topspin

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 5:07am
short side topspin service, anticipate a flick, third ball attack.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 5:15am
so a top sidespin service forces a lose ball cos the opponent doeznt know whether his return is going to fly up or down or to the side?

TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 5:28am
Its based on deception, the only time to use a side-top serve is if your side-under serve is similar in all aspects but spin.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 5:34am
sidespin makes a ball more predicatable to where it is going to be returned to. If you put right sidespin, it will most likely be returned to the right. Also sidespin keeps the ball low. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 5:38am
how is it possible to disguise backspin and topspin? one involves brushing the top, the other is sliding through the bottom. is there such a thing is a side-backspin serve too?

TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 5:42am
How else do you think 3rd ball attacks happen?
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 7:22am
sorry im not very good at all these kind of complicated strategic services. a side-topspin service allows for an effective third-ball attack?

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 8:53am
Side top disguised will result in a pop up. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 9:08am
so the ball will fly out both ways? is there side backspin?

stephen chung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephen chung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 10:14am
Originally posted by forehandloop forehandloop wrote:

how is it possible to disguise backspin and topspin? one involves brushing the top, the other is sliding through the bottom. is there such a thing is a side-backspin serve too?

Is not whether is possible or not. Is something that you have to know and do. To disguise is very important to setup your second ball.

Blade: Butterfly Custom made 1ply Hinoki 10mm
Rubber: Bryce Hard
stephen chung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephen chung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 10:17am
Originally posted by forehandloop forehandloop wrote:

so the ball will fly out both ways? is there side backspin?

of cause there is..
Blade: Butterfly Custom made 1ply Hinoki 10mm
Rubber: Bryce Hard
MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 10:36am
There is a such thing as side/backspin service. I use it backhand when playing a rare doubles game. I'd say it is one of my more deceptive serves. I vary the amounts of spin put on either the side or bottom, all while using the same motion and normally get atleast two points from the opponent hitting wide right or into the net.

I have yet to master the top side spin to look similar in motion. 
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
forehandchop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandchop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 10:39am
ah... this is where the higher you toss, the more powerful this type of service will become. The idea is to have a maximum brush on the ball at maximum speed to get higher speed, you have to get both ball and bat moving at highest speed... once contact, enormous amount of spin will be created...

since you have turn a new leaf, let me teach you how to do it...

1. stand at left hand corner of your table
2. bounce the ping pong ball on the floor a while, then few more short bounce on the table...
3. take a deep breath...
4. hold the ball with open palm... and toss upward straight.... the ball must be at least double your height.

5. .... oh damm.... forget to tell you how to hold your blade... assuming you are using a shakehand blade. Hold your blade with just thumb and second finger and the remaining fingers closed behind your blade, you will be able to move your blade freely with your thumb and second finger. if you cannot imagine, just see how Wang Li Qin hold his blade when he serve.

continue here...

6. once the high toss ball come down to about the height the net or slightly lower, hold your blades that two fingers outwards, move up and backwards and swing at a super speed at the ball and scoop off the ball with a slight side contact...

7. the next thing you know, your ball will be curving across the net and bounce sideways at your opponents table. If you have low grade opponent, it will be fun to see him opening his jaw big and missed the ball completely... 

reachie85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reachie85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 2:13pm
i think most people's serves no matter top or back spin, all have tiny amount of side spin, if you want to do side top and side back intentionally with disguise, the beginning motion should be side back, then at the end have a follow through motion using flick of wrist with pulling up motion.  the motion should be the same for both top or back spins, what actually determines the spin is the moment when you decide to contact the ball during the motion.
BL: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive CPen
FH: Haifu Blue Whale 2
BH: Nittaku Nodias
O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 5:00pm
you should watch closely what the pros do, they are actually varying the spin even though it may not seem like it. ma lin can give you 4 or more different spins using the same motion.
BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2007 at 5:04pm
man if you can flick most of their serves, you haven't really experienced heavy backspin serves.
BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2007 at 2:26am
(O!, i usually play with my sister and forehandsmash)

forehanchop, im assuming your set of really cool instructions is referring to the forehand service right

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandchop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2007 at 3:06am
yes, of cos they are forehand serve... you can try them on your sister and forehandsmash, This type of serve very hard fo forehandsmash to attack you...

I forget to say, you should serve to the left hand corner of your opponent... because of the curve, it will bounce further to the left outside of the table... he will most likely return a high ball to you and get himself off balanced. Just smash it down to the right, his hand will be too short to reach the ball in time.

You can also modify this serve to cause him send the ball into the net by modifying the serve, instead of scooping upwards... you slide it inwards... it becomes side bottom spin. Very hard for him to notice that change because he will be too horrified by your high toss... 

additional to that, that fellow will stand more and more left as the game progress.

... suddenly when you serve, you turn your bat angle to close and towards right side of your opponent... even more cool, when the comentator says you serve a tomahawk ace :)  

so you see, just one serve,  you can covert into 3 different type of serve by just a small adjustment at the contact moment.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2007 at 4:11am
thanks for all the advice. i learnt to do a 'tomahawk ace' when i realised forehandsmash was standing at the left of the table to forehand the ball back, but my service was just a simple sidespin one. is there a backhand variation? thanks again

MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2007 at 9:53am
There is a backhand version also. I like to make mine curve the same direction as my forehand tomahawk. I toss the ball up, bring my blade up near my left shoulder(right handed), brush the right side of the ball and follow through as if I put only backspin on it.

The backhand tomahawk version is possible, but is an extremely awkward swing. I gave up after a couple days of trying, cause I could not get any consistency what so ever.
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandchop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2007 at 8:07pm
no need to do the backhand version, try learn the forehand first. Make sure it is powerful enough then only you try the backhand version. I prefer to do the forehand version... have I told you that you should stand at the left hand corner of your side to do this service ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandchop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2007 at 8:10pm
forehandloop, I notice you make 300 posting and still a Super user, I made 100 posting also Super user. I think I dont want to post anymore, I post another 200 posting also still Super user.

Besides the moderator are very biased... keep that unfair poll (to ban forehand family ) and delete my poll ( to stop banning the forehand family, although got many votes )

I dont want to contribute anymore. Good luck to you!!! Always keep positive and try hard and dont give up easily. Hope you will join the national team in the future :)

One final note:

If you want to practice service, you can also do it at home, just use your dinner table or any table of the same height. Hang some clothes at the other end of the table or maybe abit further on a chair, then put something where the net is supposed to be, then practice the service... the shirt you hang will catch the ball for you, put a tray underneeth to collect the ball.

you dont need schlager video, all you need is the Kong Ling Hui training video, the one I put the link for you is good enough. Learn especially his footwork and movement and how he balanced himself after every shots.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic