Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Time To Learn a New Serve?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
vivleien View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivleien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2007 at 7:15am
Hello Greg,

good idea to share this. If you want to look at a very good player doing this "merged" serve, watch some Oh Sang Eun match. He's really the best at it I think. (other players also add reverse motion at the end of there serves, but this is only for deception. I thinnk Oh use quite the same motion every time, exept on backspin serves maybe)
Sponsored Links

pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2007 at 7:37am
Greg
watched your serves, surprised you dont have a bag of balls. Get much better rhythm if you have plenty. I find one of those ball pick up tubes is useful too if you have a lot of balls to serve
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
priior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote priior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2007 at 9:23am
nice floors! pretty dark stain job.. beautiful :)

i'm nowhere near being a top level player.. however.. why not learn the reverse pendulum serve without the regular pendulum fake until the contact is mastered.. and the different backspin/sidespin/topspin combos are mastered.. then introduce the pendulum fake to it?

or is it better to start practicing a new serve with the fake? (genuine question - not trying to be a wiseass.. my reversependulum serve starts with my hand behind me back.. almost)

i saw u twiddling in ur video a few times.. what is ur black side? a kind of antipower? or short pips?  very nice games.

priior
DTopSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DTopSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2007 at 9:26am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Originally posted by ttman ttman wrote:

I can garuntee you mr.letts would pretty much rape 90% of the people on this forum

Not with that serve...

But seriously Greg, are you adverse to choking up in to the waldner grip on your pendulum serves? I don't think you're ever going to get good action on that serve holding it by the handle in the normal shakehand grip. Every good player I've seen use it pinches the blade between thumb and forefinger to get a freer wrist like a penholder. If you don't feel comfortable doing that because of recovery time or whatever, I just wouldn't use that serve.

That's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Hi Cole - it's not easy to see, but I'm using my third finger to increase the wrist snap - my fingers are actually loosened on the handle to allow the kind of movement you are talking about, with the middle finger moving around on the handle to help snap the blade. That's also why I'm developing blisters on my middle finger - it's not used to the movement.

Greg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DTopSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2007 at 9:29am
Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

Greg
watched your serves, surprised you dont have a bag of balls. Get much better rhythm if you have plenty. I find one of those ball pick up tubes is useful too if you have a lot of balls to serve

I do my practice at home, with about 60 balls in a bucket, serving into my robot nets and falling into another bucket. Then just swap buckets. The videos are taken at the my state training centre, which looks nicer than my home table. Wink

Greg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DTopSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2007 at 9:33am
Originally posted by priior priior wrote:

nice floors! pretty dark stain job.. beautiful :)

i'm nowhere near being a top level player.. however.. why not learn the reverse pendulum serve without the regular pendulum fake until the contact is mastered.. and the different backspin/sidespin/topspin combos are mastered.. then introduce the pendulum fake to it?

or is it better to start practicing a new serve with the fake? (genuine question - not trying to be a wiseass.. my reversependulum serve starts with my hand behind me back.. almost)

i saw u twiddling in ur video a few times.. what is ur black side? a kind of antipower? or short pips?  very nice games.

I have mastered the reverse pendulum serve, and the normal forehand pendulum serve, with different spin combos. It's the faking part at contact that's damn hard and making me feel like a beginner again. You can check out my normal forehand pendulum serve and reverse pendulum serves at my basic strokes page - at http://tabletennis.about.com/od/basicstrokes/a/basicstrokes_ov.htm

So yes, I'm now trying to introduce the pendulum fake to serves I can already do competently.

In those videos, I was using TSP Curl-P2 medium pips with 1.0 sponge. These days I am using Stiga Destroyer OX long pips with better results.

Greg
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2007 at 1:09pm
Got it to work this time, thanks.

Just looked at the two first set's and they way Simon played in the first set I'm glas I wasn't on the receving end of that. Noticed that you like me tend to cover your Fh corner when tha ball popped up. Simon attacked to the Bh which is rather rare judging from my experience.

Quite an improvment on your behalf for the second set. I'm now about to enjoy the rest of the match, thanks again for shareing!
The holy grail
Wawaicetea123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2007 at 3:21pm
the videos you have of your self are not working ion your tt page i tryed th pword and it didnt work is it possible to make it a direct linkt o windows media player?
Kreanga Aeros ST
FH: Tenergy 05 Red 2.1
BH: Flarestorm II Black 2.1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DTopSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2007 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by wawaicetea123 wawaicetea123 wrote:

the videos you have of your self are not working ion your tt page i tryed th pword and it didnt work is it possible to make it a direct linkt o windows media player?

The username and password are both gttp4 (case sensitive).  They've been up for a long time and still seem to be working OK to me. You might want to give it another try.

Greg
tonycl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonycl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2007 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by rustyfo rustyfo wrote:

There are extremely few top class players who are fooled by a no spin service. Of course you can vary the spin from a lot of spin to not so much, but no spin serivce is suicide against a really good player.

Ma lin uses quite often no spin serves and fools a lot of top class players.

I am a penholder, and in my prime I use it often. The idea is to wait for the ball to get back and focus on 3rd ball - in fact this should be the prime objective of all services, including so called suicidal, the more sucidal, the less prepared your opponent can be too.

A few chinese shakehand players do no spin serve too. The 2 most commonly use is underspin or no spin. no spin some times is the same as up spin (I didn't want to use the word top spin)
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2007 at 10:31pm
Nice, you actually did pretty well against gerada. In the beginning he seemed to be very relaxed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DTopSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2007 at 12:09am

Week 2 Update on learning the new serve - at http://tabletennis.about.com/od/howtoserve/a/learn_a_serve_2.htm

Cheers,
Greg

Wawaicetea123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2007 at 9:32am
Originally posted by DTopSpirit DTopSpirit wrote:

Originally posted by wawaicetea123 wawaicetea123 wrote:

The username and password are both gttp4 (case sensitive).  They've been up for a long time and still seem to be working OK to me. You might want to give it another try.

Greg
yea i have tryed but they are not working on my computer it says that the file is blocked even when i out in the pasword its ok dont worry about it =]
Kreanga Aeros ST
FH: Tenergy 05 Red 2.1
BH: Flarestorm II Black 2.1
checkmilu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote checkmilu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2007 at 1:04pm
your serves are still too long & too high, mostly top spin 9the ball jump forward after hitting the other side of the table so it can be killed. try more: lower, shorter, and with bach spin (at least bounce twice and the ball may comes back so that your opponents can not attach your serves), good work
milu
checkmilu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote checkmilu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2007 at 1:05pm
sorry "so that your opponents can not attack"
milu
Joo Se Kev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joo Se Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2007 at 2:57pm
heh, this thread is hilarious...
fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2007 at 1:45am
really? i thought he wanted his opponents to be able to crush his serves...

Confused 

i know most of the responses are meant well but this deserves one big

HUHEEZ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DTopSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2007 at 1:13am

OK - Week 3 Update of learning the serve.

http://tabletennis.about.com/od/howtoserve/a/learn_a_serve_3.htm

Greg

kmh888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmh888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2007 at 1:52pm

not bad..

Gatien Extra
FH: Hurricane Provincial
BH: Palio CJ800 Speed

Special thick glue
tonycl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonycl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2007 at 3:53pm
hi

just an advice

focus on Service then 3rd ball placement - get a practise partner to return your service

If your service works
yes - you won points easily
no - what will you tackical plan be

when i was in training, we had to do 4 types of service, based on placement - 2 x long and 2 x short in both down the line and cross court angles. 1 hour of service a day for 5 days a week.  (put objects on the place you want to aim for - once the ball lands on the object it will fly out - all your balls need to fly out)

Then use that in practise matches. my focus was on no spin and underspin - as a penholder that wins me a lot of points

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic