Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Gambler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
squareblade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squareblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gambler
    Posted: 04/26/2007 at 4:36am
Anybody have any info on these. Can get them in the UK now.

Whats the most controlling Gambler?

Currently use either DHS G666 or Palio on my forehand.

Cheers for now.
square bat - round ball

Stiga Classic Blade
Palio 2.0 Red Forehand
RITC 837 Black on Custom 0.6 HRS Backhand
Sponsored Links

Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2007 at 6:36am
I have Aces 2.2 and tried it for a first time one day ago.It is treated with some EEII.Medium tacky(something like Palio spin), medium soft,rather quick for a chinese one, amasingly light.It plays very well close to mid distance.Very good loop attack, counter and smash.The serve is average.Push is easy.Choping-I don't know. In general: Exellent hybrid between chinese and europian with a great control.For me-one of the best chinesse so far, can't go wrong with
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squareblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2007 at 8:39am
cheers Kolev. i was thinking of going for a 1.8. but i will think about it a bit more. the magnum six shooter is out, but havent seen it here yet. what is EEII?
square bat - round ball

Stiga Classic Blade
Palio 2.0 Red Forehand
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2007 at 8:52am
ecolo expander II

Aces is like the geospin tacky topsheet (sticky), but with a different sponge. They use the LKT sponge from xt only they bumped the hardness from say 35 to 41, making it pretty darn fast for a sticky rubber. For people that like the spin of GT but wish it was faster, I don't know why more people don't try this.

Kings is the same but a less tacky topsheet so even faster. Trading away spin on the serves and pushes I suppose.

Six shooter is actually a goldway product. Tom specially bought a mold for this rubber made from stainless steel so the topsheet would be primo quality (other goldway rubbers are flat ugly). The sponge has also been lightened and fluffed a bit making it springier. A very nice product I think. The magnum version is harder. Too hard and plays a little flat for my taste.

Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squareblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2007 at 9:02am
Cole. Thank you. Kolev gave it some good feedback . . . and Ive heard a lot of people talking about this product . . . and the feedback is positive.

Its nice to here a bit of background from you, on the behind the scenes (ie the mold). Sounds like the quality has been improved greatly on this line . . . certainly from an asthetic point of view.

Gonna buy a sheet. What sponge thickness is gonna give me the most control? I'll give the magnum a wide berth then, and just try the six shooter.

Been on their website . . . . looks good. Is it still under construction, as there is no clothing, wallets etc. . .  and i know they are out there.

Noticed your stocking it too, so if its good enough for you . . . . !!!
square bat - round ball

Stiga Classic Blade
Palio 2.0 Red Forehand
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2007 at 9:31am
Yeah, the nice thing about having multiple suppliers is you can pick and choose the best stuff to carry. I carry very few products grudgingly. DHS mostly, but some people just have to have it.

Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2007 at 10:37am
For the Stiga Classic, G666 user I would be inclined to suggest 2mm Aces. A lot of control and plenty of gears. An ideal rubber on a blade like yours.

2.2mm Aces is also a good rubber, but has less control than 2mm on faster blades like the Black Diamond. You should have no problem with either thickness on a slower blade like the classic

I've used Aces on a variety of blades and it is one impressive performer. Works well on the Gambler Black Diamond and Arylate Carbon and LKT Instinct.

Six shooter is a good choice, but plays more like a Japanese rubber. Reminds me of Sriver.

Works fine on a range of bats from Allround to offensive : the LKT Instinct blades, both Gambler blades mentioned above, Tibhar Samsonov Premium Contact, Optimum Sync and Galaxy K4(Timo Boll Spirit clone)

Magnum is a harder sponge and it needs a few layers of glue to soften it up to get the best out of it. I use it on the forehand of an Optimum Sync and its very good for looping, driving, hitting and smashing close to the table and mid distance. Over the table performance is poorer than Six shooter, which is slower but a more versatile and controllable rubber.

Four Kings is a decent rubber, but Aces and six Shooter are the two I would recommend.

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2007 at 10:49am
I think that too as far as six shooter feeling japanese like sriver. Inpirit feels more euro like a joola rubber but wtih a thicker topsheet.

sunflex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2007 at 11:07am
Whats the hardness of six shooter magnum? Is this a good rubber for bh blocks? Is it faster than Saviga/Inspirit?
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2007 at 12:11pm
squareblade

If you want to try Gambler rubbers you can get them from :
1)ColesTT in the USA
2) Tom at Zeropong in the USA
3) Steve (a.k.a. Xtrailer59) on Ebay, who is based in Yorkshire.

I get my Gambler equipment from Steve. He has both Aces and Six shooter on Ebay.co.uk at the moment.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squareblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2007 at 12:19pm
thanks you all for your help.

Peter C . . . thanks for the suppiers. I too use x-trailer on e-bay. he is excellent. very helpful. just wanted a bit of feedback from all the folks on here who have likely to have used any of the range.

cheers
square bat - round ball

Stiga Classic Blade
Palio 2.0 Red Forehand

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squareblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2007 at 12:21pm
that was meant to read 'suppliers'!Big%20smile
square bat - round ball

Stiga Classic Blade
Palio 2.0 Red Forehand
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2007 at 11:07pm
Cole is top so far to buy from.It takes 7-8 days for the package to come here, in Brussels.He is also very helpfull and creative.BTW my Aces comes from him
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
phamster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2007 at 10:46am
hello room,

i have 3 gambler arylate carbon blades with striaght handles..

the first one i ground down the edges to make it a touch smaller.. and to use with my old rubber on my juic blades

and 2nd and 3 rd ones i left the orginal size of the face alone.. i think i like bigger sized blades..

but needless to say, i like the gambler blades..  soft and solid feeling and just a touch too fast for me still...

so what i did, is ground down the throat or web area, where the handle meets the main part of the blade.. by grounding down the wide throat area, which makes  the blade softer and more flexible, i was able to tune my flex the way i wanted.. since i swing a hard forehand, i wanted more dwell time and arch on the ball vs.. straight thrust..

anyways.. i was able to make it even more flexible.. plus it helps in blocking too...

i tried the 6 shooter 2.0 rubber, but it still find it too soft and difficult to control on fast shots, because it sinks in and shoots off different vs, a medium speed shot.. the harder MarkV, seems to have a better control value for blocking.. my angles don't change vs speed of incoming balls as much as the 6 shooter..

but the blade.. i tell you it is nice..

so my current set up is the gambler blade, with markV and Rapid rubbers..
my game is around 1950- 2050 ustta ranking.. so you know what type of player i am..

anyways.. gambler rubber is good for the price.. and has somewhat of a japan rubber feel... but still not a replacement for my MarkV or Rapid..

bottem line, good for 14 bucks.. and since markV and rapid is 25-30 bucks.. i think gambler offers a good solution for the price.

phamster
Madbrazilian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madbrazilian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2007 at 2:01pm
What's up with 729 making all these different brands? It's not that I have anything against them but LKT then gambler? These seem like ways that 729 can get more acess to the western market....It's just a thought. Still I've been pleasantly surprised by both LKT brand rubbers and gambler rubbers.
Killerspin Diamond TX ST
Killerspin Forza 4z 2.1 both sides
phamster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2007 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Madbrazilian Madbrazilian wrote:

What's up with 729 making all these different brands? It's not that I have anything against them but LKT then gambler? These seem like ways that 729 can get more acess to the western market....It's just a thought. Still I've been pleasantly surprised by both LKT brand rubbers and gambler rubbers.

yea... it is like one giant supplier/manufacturer making 4-7 different brand names.. china is king like that..

like the LCD monitors.. maybe one maker, makes for samsung, LG, Dell, Westinghouse, and best buys house name, and Circuit City house name.. well you get the picture..

one maker making more.. 729 probably makes some more rubbers that we don't even know about..

yes.. you are right.. gambler is decent stuff.. heck... that is what i am banging around with right now.. and i have good JUIC blades to play with too, but right now it is GAMBLER carbon...nice stuff actually..

phamster
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2007 at 9:56am
729/Friendship RITC produce a couple of ranges

My understanding is the Gambler range is produced for the American and European market, to the specs of Zeropong.

The LKT range is a 729 product that was designed with input from Li Kiang Tsu, a former chinese player and coach, also tailored for the European/US market.

Some of the family resemblances ;

LKT Toxic 3 & 5 blades look like the Gambler oversize blades. i.e. all 4 are hock blades

The Gambler Arylate Carbon and Instinct share :
1) The same thickness and construction on the four outer plies.
2) The Instinct's centre ply is the same thickness as the two arylate carbon layers and centre ply of the Gambler blade
3) Both are easy to control and play fairly similar

The Gambler rubbers are developed from :
Aces : Geospin
Four kings : LKT XP
Six Shooter : Goldway Stinger
Magnum ; Goldway Destroyer

If i'm wrong I'm sure ColesTT or Tom at Zeropong can clarify what I've got wrong.

p.s. Of the two blades mentioned above, I prefer the Arylate Carbon to the Instinct because of it's bigger sweet spot.

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2007 at 2:22pm
LKT came first and was the product of China Sports which is the company that has distributorship rights for friendship outside of China. Zeropong had a lot of input into their stuff after the first couple of generations of blades.

Then Zeropong started custom designing the gambler so they would have complete control over QA and distribution.

The friendship stuff for the longest time had a ton of variation in quality depending on where you bought it. Their western stuff had better quality than the china sold stuff, but you woudln't know it. Then people bought stuff from some asian distributor at half price of US retail and determined it was junk. Having your own brand helps avoid some of that mess.

Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2007 at 6:36pm
Cole

I've used Aces on the Gambler Arylate Carbon and thought it a good combination.

I also a Galaxy K4 thats plays like a Timo Boll Spirit, i.e. a low throw blade; with Aces on 2.2mm on the forehand and 2mm on the backhand.

What other rubbers would you suggest I try on the K4? and the K5 which I notice you sell on your website?
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2007 at 6:37pm
Cole

I've used Aces on the Gambler Arylate Carbon and thought it a good combination.

I also own a Galaxy K4 Carbokev, thats plays like a Timo Boll Spirit, i.e. a low throw blade; with Aces on 2.2mm on the forehand and 2mm on the backhand.

What other rubbers would you suggest I try on the K4?
and the K5 which I notice you sell on your website?
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2007 at 9:13am
Well, given that they're looping blade, I guess I would suggest the looping rubbers. That is, the softer, less tacky rubbers like inspirit, focus3, and my favorite the PalioC topsheet over saviga sponge.

phamster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2007 at 11:40am
coley..

do you make special rubbers?  like any top sheet with any type of sponge?

you had mentioned the "my favorite the PalioC topsheet over saviga sponge. "  is that a special order or standard OEM stuff? 

phamster...

i like the gambler top sheet, 6 shooter, but need it on a much harder japanese like sponge..like found on the 729's judo...

can you make something like that?

phamster
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2007 at 1:47pm
The six shooter isn't available as a topsheet. There's a good chance I could peel the topsheet from the sponge though. Have you tried the 6shoooter magnum? That's a pretty hard sponge.

Oh, and yes, I sell tops and sponges and put them together custom ordered.

loopdaddy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2007 at 1:54pm
I'm not sure what sponge was on the Palio I got from you, Cole, but I love it. So far I've found that it isn't excellent at any single thing, but really good at everything. I have a feeling, after much experimentation, I'll end up coming back to that rubber.
More spin less talk.
*Galaxy W1       
*H2
*Sriver EL

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2007 at 3:18pm
If it was white it was cannon (now called lightning) and if it was yellow it was saviga.

loopdaddy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2007 at 3:35pm
I think it was cannon but I'll have to check when I get home.
More spin less talk.
*Galaxy W1       
*H2
*Sriver EL

Wheelie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2007 at 5:21am
Cole mentioned above "I think that too as far as six shooter feeling japanese like sriver. Inpirit feels more euro like a joola rubber but wtih a thicker topsheet."

Could Cole/anyone else please describe what the difference is between Joola/euro feeling rubbers and Jap/Sriver rubbers?

I have played with Srivers but never with any Joola rubbers.

Also is Six Shooter a tensioned sponge rubber like Stinger was? 
I hope its easier to glue onto a blade than Stinger was!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic