Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

OOPS too much thinner?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OOPS too much thinner?
    Posted: 06/22/2007 at 10:38pm
Angry So I really screwed myself this time!  I have been trying, in vain so far, to find a forehand rubber that loops better than my Tackifire D 1.7mm but doesn't throw off the balance of my oversize blade.  Each time I get the top heavy feel and go back to the thinner Tackifire.  The other day I had the bright idea to add some more thinner to my rubber cement to make the glue easier to brush on.  Except, I dumped a whole bunch of thinner into not a whole bunch of glue.

The results are not good.  When I restuck the Tackifire on my blade, I noticed that the glue just wouldn't dry (probably all that solvent), and there seemed to be a speed glue like clicky noise and effect at first, which I didn't want.  Now, after that "click" wore off, I am left with a super softened sponge that feels absolutely dead.  All the feel I used to have with my blade is gone, as the ball is seemingly soaked up in the pillowy deadness.  The best thing is..... I have a tournament tomorrow and no spare sheets.  Ugh.

Can someone confirm my suspicions that I have f***** my rubber with too much thinner?  If that is indeed the culprit I will be much more careful in the future.

Sponsored Links

mece View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2007 at 10:42pm
at least u didnt killed your expensive blade,lol

mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2007 at 11:02pm
True, but don't talk to soon.  I am sure after I miss every damn forehand tomorrow I will have a great impulse to send something wooden flying against the wall.  I think I will bring one of my old sandpaper paddles just in case.
patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2007 at 11:04pm

take the rubbers of the blade and let them sit over night in tthe open air.should be fine tomorrow. you should use regular rubber cement to glue before tourn and all should be fine

mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2007 at 11:12pm
I will do that.  If it works, I will be a happy guy!
patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2007 at 11:15pm
hopefully it is not d-limemonene that u used.if lighter fluid or rubber cemet thinner you should be okay
mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2007 at 11:20pm
It was just the Bestine rubber cement thinner.  The stuff pours terribly, and while trying to avoid spilling it all over, I dumped way too much into the glue.  I was just afraid that the damage was permanent to the sponge, but we will see.  The rubber is sitting out, and at least I have some hope now.
patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2007 at 11:22pm
no there is no permanent damage the thinner just expanded the sponge too much you should be okay for tomorrow once evapouration takes place
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2007 at 6:09am
Originally posted by mdjenders mdjenders wrote:

It was just the Bestine rubber cement thinner.  The stuff pours terribly, and while trying to avoid spilling it all over, I dumped way too much into the glue.  I was just afraid that the damage was permanent to the sponge, but we will see.  The rubber is sitting out, and at least I have some hope now.
i did something similar and found that aiming a fan at the sponge accelarated the drying out process..good luck
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

longreachlooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longreachlooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2007 at 3:23pm
You must like that Defplay Senso, is that the DONIC Deflay Senso?
The gray looking color one?
If it is, doesn't it have the balsa core?
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2007 at 7:10pm
yes I agree...the sponge is probably still 'wet' from the thinner, which makes it feel dead. Once it dried out it should be OK.

Let us know if it worked?
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2007 at 8:10pm
mdjenders, try putting only 10% of thinner for every 100 ml of glue at least thats my rough estimate then start adding about 1 teaspoon of thinner until u reach your desired viscosity
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2007 at 11:40pm
Well I wasn't able to totally dry the sponge before the tournament, but I was able to tell the difference.  The sponge regained a lot of its old hardness and "pop" after sitting out all night, and I was able to land a couple sweet counter smashes far from the table that just wouldn't have happened with that deadened sponge.  The good advice I got here was a big factor, and I was able to take 2nd in my group at the event.  Thanks!

I have always used a little bit of thinner per quantity of glue, but this last time I would say the ratio was about 50/50 after my inadvertent spill.  I will never do THAT again.
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2007 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by longreachlooper longreachlooper wrote:

You must like that Defplay Senso, is that the DONIC Deflay Senso?
The gray looking color one?
If it is, doesn't it have the balsa core?
yes  the blade sits  proudly between me and the girlfriendApprove(not sure what her problem is)in our bed,it is the donic defplay senso but it is not gray(apart from the handle which is bluey grey)and does not have a balsa core,the blade you are thinking of is the donic defplay `classic` senso(this does have a balsa core)and is a bit slower than mine.

Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic