tabletennis11.com

Need help motivating my 13 yr old son.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2007 at 4:53pm
Thanks. I hope it all works out. Another thought . . . buy him that special blade and/or rubber he's always wanted with NO strings attached. "I know you other things going on right now, but when you do play we want you to have the best . . . because to us YOU ARE THE BEST!!!"

I know this sounds a little mushy, but you get the idea! Make playing attractive to him. When I was teaching in China I had the most difficult students . . . NOT the good students. All they usually wanted to do was look out the window at other kids playing basketball, text message, listen to their MP3s, put makeup on, etc. They rarely did these things in my class because I made classtime WAY better, WAY more fun than whatever else was going on. This might be harder for you because PS3 gives such an immediate buzz to young fellas. You just have to hope the good stuff he gets from playing is deeper and more substantial than he video games, and if it's not . . . you can't make him love it like you do. All the best my friend. You have a lot of members sending the love your way. It ain't easy. You seem like a good dad to me!!!
Take care.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Sponsored Links

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2007 at 6:15pm
My son was a 1200 plaYER AT 7 YEARS OLD.  Then I started rock and mountain climbing. I had to make a harness for him as they did not sell one that small. He was one of the best climbers I ever saw. We both quit climbing about 10 years ago. I took up ping pong again but he has not. He is now one of the best archers and kyackers there is.
     I have never pushed him into any sport, just introduced him.  He competed in pool up to the nats and when he didn't win after a few years, he quit that.
     Every person is different and so are their motivations. I play pong because I really enjoy it. I am much better at skeet shooting, (Was ranked in the top at one time) but quit even though I could have made a living at it. (got bored with it)
     I was offered  a trip to a training camp a long time ago. I chose not to go. (High school) Would love the same offer now.
     I might be wrong, but I don't think you can force anything on a young boy. Unless he has an internal drive, it won't work. If he has the drive, you won't be able to stop him.
     I did limit TV and video games. Smile
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2007 at 6:26pm
I feel the key in attracting young players to our sport is to keep the training CHALLENGING so that the kids are motivated and interested. Look at the training kids receive in China.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2007 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

Unless he has an internal drive, it won't work. If he has the drive, you won't be able to stop him. . Smile

Hookshot is on the money!!

My nephew is 11 years old, 5'2" 130 pounds and can hit a baseball 250 feet on a line drive, but is lazy and not interested. He actually plays Nintendo laying down. All the raw talent is there, but NO motivation. It's pointless. The drive has to be burning inside the young player. Yet, everyone goes through a period whereby they need a break or lose some interest. If it's in his heart, he'll be back. Deep down he'll eventually realize how special time spent with his Dad is . . . hopefully sooner than later!!! All the best!!!!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2007 at 6:38pm
I'm just trying to do what Hookshot has done or has been doing...Introducing him to sports, any sport, get involved the best I can wif him, be it T/T, Badminton, tennis, Squash, Mtn Biking, basketball or whatever, I can't force him to do sports he doesn't enjoy.
Yes, I did "LIMIT" his TV/Video games, better still get involved wif those too eventho' it's been very hard for me. he knows when he is going to High School this fall, all these would be  really "LIMITED".
jctlee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jctlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2007 at 7:42pm
My two cents worth. Good coach makes a big difference. My son's 10. He's good at any sport he plays. He started to like TT. My son first coach was not able to motivate him. He cannot keep focused at private  training which by adult thinking should be the best to keep focused and train. We were wrong. After a few months, we were lucky enough to be offered a spot at a group traing session with another coach. Although my son cannot speak mandarin, he was motivated by this coach. He trained hard  and started getting trophies and medals even at big tournaments. He is much happier with this coach. Now he is in both private and group training and is good at it. He still sometimes loses focus like any other 10 year old but I must admit he is much better than many others. What I am trying to say - kids do pick on who they can learn from and will learn from. I am sure he also got motivated when there are other kids who can challenge him  and compete with. What's best learning environment for adults may not be the same for kids.

P.S. My son offers that you may want to ask your son why he wants to slow down. And discuss it with him about different options.
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2007 at 5:07am
Originally posted by jctlee jctlee wrote:

Good coach makes a big difference.
I second that !
I'm in a similar situation with skatz. Got a 11years old boy and I'd love teach him some TT. This little brat is gifted in any sports he tried. He's been doing gymnastic, table tennis and archery. This is disgusting how natural he is...! The only thing is that he canno't stand not mastering a thing at once. Say you give him a new playstation game, he's right in it and finishes it within a week. TT isn't as easy. He learned TT in his 9th with a coach colleague of mine but quited before the end of the year. I also have my TT table in the garage and sometimes I do some practice alone. Last week he came to me and asked me to play with him that we did. Then he asked me to re-enroll him next year in the club. But when I tried to correct some wrong motion of him he stoped me and said that was the way his coach (btw he hasn't seen him for 2 years...) told him to do ! In short, the best you can do, and that's what you did already, is to introduce him to the sport (I mean not only TT) and not pushing him too hard. If he finds any interrest in it by himself, this is it ! Otherwise, it's useless. We'll see if my boy keeps wanting to play in 2 or 3 months time , if not we'll try something else : c'est la vie !
Good luck with yours !
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
Wawaicetea123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2007 at 12:00pm

i keep seeing this happen. young kids start playing and eventually hating the sport becouse its natural to rebel. if he dosnt like tt then he dosnt like it. you cant force someone to like somthing and its almost impossible to change what they like or want to do. the best you can do is hope he finds intrest. i think you should show him pro players matches , and some new equipment, and motivation to getting better. i have a 11 yearold cousin and all he wants to do is play nintendo ds. he is in a simalar situation his father wants him to train for kempo karate. its better to keep a relationship with your son then to force him to love what you love. let him find his own sport and he will love you even more.

Kreanga Aeros ST
FH: Tenergy 05 Red 2.1
BH: Flarestorm II Black 2.1
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2007 at 1:24pm
all said and done... our passion and conviction for this game cannot be passed on with certainty. it's their right to choose ... and discover inclination.

probably my dad felt the same way about soccer years back... when i leaned to table tennis and field hockey.

... and that we are expecting our first kid in a few months ... probably i will be in skatz's position few years down the line.

thanks for bringing up this topic ...
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2007 at 1:34pm
this topic reminds me of a teen I briefly chat wif 1 morning @ the club. He attended t/t school in China b4 coming over here. He has the "basics" as I saw him played b4. He told me that his parent forced him to come play here, he liked t/t b4 but he said he hates it now. Don't know the true stories behind him but he did have tears in his eyes when he said that to me. I hope it was only sweat in his eyes...
Wawaicetea123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2007 at 1:48pm

i dont know who to feel bad for the parents or the kids

Kreanga Aeros ST
FH: Tenergy 05 Red 2.1
BH: Flarestorm II Black 2.1
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2007 at 1:56pm
as 4 me, both! I'm a parent n 've a kid abt his age. But my kid owned him once, which was very unusual as he shouldn't have won vs him. Mine one was pretty cool abt the outcome of that game, wasn't sure abt him or his parent tho'. I'ven't seen him the whole summer, he could be in China now for extensive training and comes back stronger, mentally n technically, I hope.
agni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2007 at 4:03pm
I introduce my six year old daughter , 3 year old son to table tennis , swimming .
The daughter gets bored after 15 minutes (table tennis) but the son seem to like it a lot . He currently does some serves .However , I need to introduce some new sport to the girl .
applegreen allplay senso v1

FH yasaka mark v 2.0
BH Sriver FX 2.0

crs2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crs2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2007 at 8:26am

If he hates to train he'll soon hate tournaments too since more and more people will beat him. Maybe he just likes to do things with you and wants to please you by playing table tennis. You can find other things to do with your son, let him "of the hook". You like table tennis, he doesn't.  

Jon2378 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon2378 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2007 at 9:56am
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

Are there any cute girls at the club you play at? At some point in the near future those little hotties will be more attractive to him than ANY video game. Don't pressure him or he will rebel and quit.

exactly

imo, find a club with some nice cute asian chicks around his age, i imagine there would be a number in the us, there's certainly quite a few in australia

pushing him won't do you any good

if anything, i'd ease up more

ultimately, he'll either want to or not, if he doesn't want to play he won't improve much or be a great player anyway, even is he goes to training

i don't think you can really do much, its up to him, encourage him, but don't force him
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2007 at 12:50pm
Hookshot
is absolutely right especially when motivating own kids.
less is more everytime.
As a coach I have always coached motivated players and left talented but unmotivated ones to do their own thing. 25% of the time they find their way back of their own accord. Success in sports is about SELF-Motivation.
If they have other interests than tt then support them in that
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
skatz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2007 at 1:12pm

Just to clarify, he actually doesn't hate to train, but up to now he didn't like to train with me. 

What I do now is do drills with him for a while and when he gets bored of doing that with me we play a match and then we're done. 

If I take him for training down in New York, he likes it.  His latest coach in New York is Attanda Musa.  A really great guy and unbelievable player.  We hope to get back down there soon for more training.  The 1.5 hour commute each way does make it difficult. 

I do want to thank everyone for all their help on this issue.  I have learned alot about me and my relationship with my son.  This forum is a great place to meet people and discuss things like this.  A special thank you to those that provide this forum.

Lastly, I have been asked to teach a couple of kids who never played the game.  The parents want to pay me but I won't accept money, so so far nothing has happened.  I suggested to my son that he teach them!  I have no problem if the parents pay him.  His rate is $15 per hour and he will start the kids off with some basic videos and then onto the Newgy robot.  That's how my son and I learned.  He likes the idea of doing that alot.  Especially the getting paid part.  He's a capitalist, just like his father!

He is making up a flier and he is developing a website where he can market this.  He will include some basic clips on the fundamentals on the website.  When it is up and running, I will put the URL up here.

I feel that this is great because it will integrate table tennis with other skills like marketing, web design and video production.  Plus it is a real low cost way for parents to introduce their kids to the sport and see if they like it. 

drywater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drywater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2007 at 1:30am
well im assuming the kid isnt korean or chinese where ping pong is engraved in thier dna since birth. you cant make someone like something no matter what. hes 13 hell figure out what he likes within the next 8 years. dont push it on him cuz then you might push him "over it". jus relax. or have another baby
skatz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2007 at 1:03pm
Yesterday I was doing some drills with my son.  Footwork seems to be an issue so we worked on that for a while.  I kept telling him to move, move without much luck  Then he started telling me what his coach told him to do.  All of a sudden it was like he was dancing!  Great footwork on balls being hit to hm randomly.  I said "why don't you do that all the time?"  He said, "it makes me too tired!"

13 years old and he's worried about getting too tired.  Go figure!
Trebor Renkluaf View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trebor Renkluaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2007 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

Are there any cute girls at the club you play at? At some point in the near future those little hotties will be more attractive to him than ANY video game. Don't pressure him or he will rebel and quit.
No joke.  My 12 year old has got a crush on one of the girls at our club.  We had our anual picnic yesterday and he spent quite a bit of time getting cleaned up before we went:  shower, deoderant, body spray, brush, rinse, gargle, and then he get's overdressed.  I'm thinking we're going to play and he was actually going to have his first lesson (group coaching).  Then at the picnic I found out why:  her name is Britney...

Blade: Tibhar Samsonov Alpha
FH: Rapid 2.0
BH: Rapid 2.0

Blade: Stiga Hans Alser - 1983
FH: Yasaka Mark V Max
BH: Yasaka Mark V Max
patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2007 at 8:27am
have you travelled out of town for a tourn with him. you should take him to montreal quebec next year some time in april for the big bang tourn.lots of kids his age there, some same and different levels. he's prob bored of the same routine over and over.or take him to the north american teams champs.
in november have him play on a team at his own level.
mafia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mafia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2007 at 1:21pm

I think first you must understand if he insterested in tt or not ?

Of course he will bored if he have to face you or the robot everyday Smile
Is there a tt club somewhere that you can being him to sometimes ? Let him test his skill, and join the crowd
Maze ST
FH/BH : Palio Era 42.5 Max
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2007 at 2:20pm
i think you just gotta let 'em be who he is.

is it really that difficult for you to remember what it was like when you were 13??

the problem is that, for most kids, it's just way too trendy nowadays to play with the nintendo games instead of doing something that requires some sort of physical exertion.  and even when they do that it's usually the stuff they see regularly, like basketball, football, baseball, or skateboarding.

anyway, if he likes playing tourneys, then take 'em there when you go.  perhaps losing games at the tourneys might be the thing that motivates him in the end.

but if you try to force him to play because YOU love it so much, he's just gonna end up doing what everybody does in that situation--rebel.

who needs that??
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2007 at 4:15pm
hmm when i was 13, I played a lot of videogames.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic