Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tournament , League Match Last Week & its Review -
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tournament , League Match Last Week & its Review -

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
agni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tournament , League Match Last Week & its Review -
    Posted: 01/17/2008 at 11:29am
Tournament , League Match Last Week & its Review - Tips Needed

I played in a tourney on saturday , a league game yesterday .
Some good things - I was able to win the doubles in the tourney , Came 8 in singles (in the middle group).
In the league game yesterday I won 1 , lost 1 .

Here is the review of the shortcomings & area where I am faltering :-

1. After some good training , backhand is better but lacks consistency . The problem I am facing is

a) I am able to open with a bh loop on a half long serve . The bh loop is fast , quite low going to
bh of the opponent but the blocks comes also fast & low . Now If bh loop again it tends to go long
(rarely in net) , same for drive (my bh loop looks better than my drive currently) . So I try to
block drive it down the line ,losing the intiative & going to square one (rallying).

b) If the block comes in FH it is taken care of mostly. But I generally lack a soft kill (like just a
soft drive to finish a point) , I generally go for a smash which may not be needed always as the opponent
can be out of position . How do I add this shot to my aresenal .

c) I have a tendency to play hard & fast and I dont use the easier option of using controlled aggression,
How to you practice this . I have this shots but just like to go hard with fast loops & therefore
adding risks to the game .

d) Against short pips , when they serve short to FH , I rarely attack as I dont know whether to push or
play on the table top spin . This is becoming a problem as this players keep serving there , I push &
they start the attack . when I play top spin , its difficult to keep them on table . Maybe I should Flip
or just flip drive but in a close game (without any previous experience) it becomes difficult to try
something .

e) When playing Antispin , when the ball sits up for a smash , it just goes long . If the same ball is
coming from normal rubber it is point over . A player told me to smash sideways (going from right to left)
instead of going forward & downwards . I will test this but need some more tips, feedback on this.

Generally the game is better & I see more rallies & less errors but still the match play is
worse than training & I just dont seem to use quick tactics /changes to keep the momentum going .

f) Also playing in a Cold Halls with good gaps results in lack of warmth & puts me in loss of feel for the
ball . Since warm up times are not high & no free tables , this becomes a big problem in close games.
applegreen allplay senso v1

FH yasaka mark v 2.0
BH Sriver FX 2.0

Sponsored Links

master-pong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote master-pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2008 at 5:26pm
It's a good thing you're so much into your game, and that you review your tournaments and matches against different players.

However it also seems to me you are overworrying about your shots and actions. Calm down and play relaxed. If you rly want technical advise about your game, I'd say talk to your coach. If you have one, that is. He'll know your game better then us (of course).

Oh yeah and btw, it's kinda natural you play worse in a real match.

Keep up the good work though! Just try and learn from your mistakes.
hymm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hymm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2008 at 11:56pm
I'm not a great player, but I've had some of these problems before, so I'll try to describe my solutions.

a)  Three things that could be wrong/adjust. 

When you're opening with the backhand you're probably close to the table.  You'll need to take a step back right after you open to give yourself time to react and the backhand loop against topspin is hit well in front of your body.

If you're really driving your loop then the block back can be too fast for you to react, so you might need to slow your loop down.

Lastly on the bh loop against block, this is a very different stroke than against backspin.  You need a different backswing and racket angle.  Make sure you're closing your racket more.

b) Not a shot I have either

c) I still have this problem, but have been working on it recently.  To get confidence using a controlled loop, try to play whole games without using your aggressive loop, especially against weaker players.  Placement is the most important part of controlled looping.  After you feel comfortable using your controlled loops, you'll need to find your own best mix of using these shots.  If you're in great shape, then a good rule of thumb is to only use your aggressive loops when you're perfectly on balance and to use conservative looping otherwise.  If you've got good footwork you'll mostly be using aggressive looping, but this is a bit dangerous at long tournaments as you could tire yourself out, and so it might be better to develop a different mix.

d) This serve is probably no spin or light backspin.  Ideally you'd have a flip to play this shot, but it takes a long time to develop a consistent flip.  The shot I do about half the time is to place this shot short and low back in their backhand corner (against a righty) with light backspin or no spin.  This shot takes some touch, but is easier than a flip.  They'll then have the same problem as you.  Do they flip or push it?

e) Need a bit more information on this one.  What are you hitting to them?  Is this after your serve?  I'm not sure what you mean about a sideways smash.  You can spin the ball at a sharp angle with mostly side spin and that can be very effective, when playing to the opponents backhand.  Also not sure what you mean by forwards and downwards.  I've always been told never to hit down on the ball, but rather adjust the angle of your racket and drive through it (so you always get topspin).

f) This is a tough problem to deal with.  You could try jogging or jumping rope a bit right before your games.  Another thing is get some warmup clothings (long sleeves and pants) to wear over what you play in.  Keep it on as you do your pregame warmup.  Also between games in the round robin just stay standing and walking a bit can help if you start to cool down.
agni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2008 at 9:35am

"When you're opening with the backhand you're probably close to the table.� You'll need to take a step back right after you open to give yourself time to react and the backhand loop against topspin is hit well in front of your body."

yes , I will keep in mind while training . I also observing that while making a bh looping , I am slightly moving backwards (away from the ball) while making the shot , this is bad as it will lose the control . I need to move before playing the next shot .

"If you're really driving your loop then the block back can be too fast for you to react, so you might need to slow your loop down."

Yes , but the problem is that it opens up the down the line shot as the opponent has enough time to place it on the wide fh. But it need to be prepare for this anyway.

"Lastly�on the bh loop against block, this is a very different stroke than against backspin.� You need a different backswing and racket angle.� Make sure you're closing your racket more."

I miss the control here & my racket angle is still not set , its high, I need train this gain & again.

d) This serve is probably no spin or light backspin.� Ideally you'd have a flip to play this shot, but it takes a long time to develop a consistent flip.� The shot I do about half the time is to place this shot short and low back in their backhand corner (against a righty) with light backspin or no spin.� This shot takes some touch, but is easier than a flip.� They'll then have the same problem as you.� Do they flip or push it?

I genreally push in the middle or long deep into bh . hmmm!

e) Need a bit more information on this one.� What are you hitting to them?� Is this after your serve?� I'm not sure what you mean about a sideways smash.� You can spin the ball at a sharp angle with mostly side spin and that can be very effective, when playing to the opponents backhand.� Also not sure what you mean by forwards and downwards.� I've always been told never to hit down on the ball, but rather adjust the angle of your racket and drive through it (so you always get topspin).

Its normally during a rally , the player pushes using Anti & ball is high , goo enough for a kill and lo it goes long. No back spin though only a float .

applegreen allplay senso v1

FH yasaka mark v 2.0
BH Sriver FX 2.0

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic