Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1950-60 Dunlop Barna Blade + Rubbers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2008 at 10:25am
Originally posted by thomasj thomasj wrote:

http://barnatabletennisbat.blogspot.com/
this link is showing my 3 ply barna bat i own that i found in a charity shop for fifty pence Big%20smile
Its in perfect condition apart from one pip missing.

any ideas on how old it is and how much it is worth?

thanks

Yours appears to be similar to one of the blades shown earlier in this thread. Probably made in the late 50s early 60s. As to the price...Whatever an interested party would be willing to pay.
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

Sponsored Links

The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2008 at 10:39am
I've got a Barna Maxply Fort in the garage somewhere, funny i was thinking about asking about it and today i wake up and see this thread ..LOL
It was my first pips racket with a white sponge. Still very fast i suppose, now i'm going to have to clean out the garage while looking for it ...i was trying to strip or thinking about stripping the rubber off last i recalled?

*edit* look what i found and a couple other penholds ..btw i hit a few balls with it...SLOWWWWWW :)

varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2008 at 12:00am

I have a story to tell.

My father-in-law would be so excited to see these blades. I'm gonna print these and send to him. He has told me in 1950's in India, there were table tennis clubs in YMCA. The British also brought Barna blades to India. He has told me it was very costly at that time - close to half of his salary.

fott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2008 at 5:47am

hi varghese

Have sent a private msg.

bye

fott

BladesByCharlie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BladesByCharlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2010 at 2:19pm
hi Peter C, i really like the Dunlop-Barna Super-  the conic looks exactly like what i want.  i currently use a taper in that same configuration and will be changing to a full conic.
thanks for the pictures,  charlie
Charlie Smith, owner
http://www.bladesbycharlie.com
BBC 9-10-9, Donic Barracuda, RITC 563 1.5
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2010 at 6:08am
Glad I could be of help Charlie.

It would be good to see a modern blade, with that kind of conical handle.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2010 at 9:53am
Speaking of re-creating classic handle shapes, Charlie, can you design a blade with a handle that recreates either the classic 1970s Stiga Alser handle or the 1990s Butterfly Cresail?  Those were nice and large, a frequent theme of many people on this forum is that they like blade X but the handle is too small.  Butterfly used to have a wide range of handle shapes on different blades and now they don't.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj90/haggisv/bty_cresail_FL.jpg
zvezdarac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zvezdarac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2010 at 6:37am
I'm very proud to show pictures of my "new" Dunlop Alpha (Barna) defensive blade. I am more than satisfied with characteristics of this blade. Just bought it 11.07.10.

Navin323i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Navin323i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2010 at 9:32pm
It just so happens that my father still has the exact same Barna paddle like what ThomasJ posted in this thread years back.  My dad gave it to my younger brother so here are a few pics of it.  I'm hoping someone here will be willing to sell me their Barna since I've been trying to find one now for myself for years now.

On the side of the handle on the same side as the black rubber you can actually see a letter "B" in script (cursive) form hence the reason why I believe it's a Barna, plus it looks identical to ThomasJ's paddle minus the colored lettering that his paddle still has.
Hollywood Movie Actor - https://www.imdb.me/Navin-P-Kumar
USA Para Table Tennis Player & 1st w/ Parkinson's Disease
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uHC9Bj64bg
taijitu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taijitu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2012 at 2:45pm
Apologies, I'm a little late to this forum, not sure if anyone's still watching. I stumbled across it in a Google search for images of pips out rubber configurations. The picture is of my old Dunlop Barna Super blade (c. 1967). The original rubber, red on both sides, had a thin layer of sponge, well deteriorated after 40+ years. I replaced it with early Valor Premier, and it's a fantastic hardbat now!

I'm happy to add to the archive.

gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2012 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by taijitu taijitu wrote:

Apologies, I'm a little late to this forum, not sure if anyone's still watching. I stumbled across it in a Google search for images of pips out rubber configurations. The picture is of my old Dunlop Barna Super blade (c. 1967). The original rubber, red on both sides, had a thin layer of sponge, well deteriorated after 40+ years. I replaced it with early Valor Premier, and it's a fantastic hardbat now!

I'm happy to add to the archive.

Thank you for the kind words. Valor Premier is now ITTF approved.
Merry Christmas and Best Wishes for the New Year.
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

R-s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R-s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2013 at 1:17pm
Hey guys, could you tell me, which kind of blade this is? Best regards, Philip

R-s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R-s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2013 at 1:18pm
It is a 3pl Blade and there is some kind of dunlop branding visable.
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2013 at 2:12pm
Your blade is Dunlop Victor Barna, I have  absolutely the same.
R-s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R-s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2013 at 8:08am
Do you eventually know how old or which generation it is?
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2013 at 5:02am
Hello,

I think your blade is from the end of 1940's.
I have two models, as the second with printed plastic logo red label is from 1950's.
I saw somewhere a real picture of Victor Barna with the same blade in 1952 or 1954.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic