Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Short Pip

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
usagi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usagi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

I've heard that 802-40 is like the SPINNIEST pip out there~

I find my Moristo SP is surprisingly spinny too... serves with it are so spinny it is as good as inverted...  It is quite loopable too...

The only thing I dun like with mine is that it feels like it bottom out a bit too often / too quickly... but I guess that is how SP are supposed to be like and I am just not used to it...
Fukuhara Special-FL: Bryce Speed + Tango
To test: Yasaka Offensive Gatien 7-ply: Bryce(FH) + Moristo-SP 1.9(BH) *sealing atm*
Sponsored Links

liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 10:46pm
Well some pips (802-40, and CLippa) I have heard play exactly like inverted almost.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 10:51pm

Well some pips (802-40, and CLippa) I have heard play exactly like inverted almost.

Most close to inverted is:
1. Komann Winning NP-8 short pips
2. Friendship 729 802-40
usagi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usagi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 11:16pm
I think I prefer something more like a SP for hitting (I am guessing that it is my natural stroke - my BH strokes dun naturally have the ball wrapping movement required for looping)...

My only concern is with serving and pushing in the table.
To test: Yasaka Offensive Gatien 7-ply: Bryce(FH) + Moristo-SP 1.9(BH) *sealing atm*
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 11:28pm
For hitting/blocking/pushing, go with Spectol~
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 11:58pm
I've never played with a short pip that played like inverted, including 802-40. I brush loop though, so it would be hard to do that with pips.

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2008 at 2:21am
Has anyone used Speedo of Butterfly?  How is it compared to 802-40 and CLippa?
usagi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usagi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2008 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by ThaiLe ThaiLe wrote:

Is sp more benefit if it is on FH or BH in terms of controlling the ball and counter attack?

After a few weeks with my current short-pip, I find it is better for my BH with my current setup... reason being my FH looping and driving is more powerful and can be varied more and so more suitable with an inverted rubber for creating and varying spin.

I was trying FH power looping and driving on my Moristo SP 1.9mm (and I am not powerful as a female player) and find that I can't add any more spin when I drive it more forward (the rubber just bottomed out).

But BH, I can only brush loop (which works on Moristo SP because it is grippy) and my BH driving stroke is at a more closed angle, so I guess it brushed more...

There is benefit (I was told) with the thin sponge that there is more control (I can't believe it by feel at first because that bottom out feeling takes getting used to), but now I see a good reason because flat hits are more accurate (it just shoots like an arrow in the direction you aim it at). 

BUT pushing is a challenge, and I am guessing it is partly because of the grippy rubber (so it goes in the net easily) with a thin sponge on a carbon blade (so it pops up)!!!  At the moment, I think I might try to work round with this by placement with sidespin (because it is grippy, I can't flat hit everything)...
So you win some, you lose some...

If I had a different rubber, it could be different... Li Jiawei has Spectol on her forehand, so there are no hard and fixed rules...

I am guessing my rubber could be a bit too soft, but I am happy with just trying it out a bit more... anyway I dun play to win...Tongue
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2008 at 9:39pm
Now how do you guys feel about a 2.3-2.5 mm sponge for pips, lets say 889 pips.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
usagi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usagi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2008 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by ppgear ppgear wrote:

I've never played with a short pip that played like inverted, including 802-40. I brush loop though, so it would be hard to do that with pips.

It is funny, because I seem to be able to brush loop (i.e. a mainly upward motion of the bat, isn't it?), but can't do something that resembles more like a drive... i.e. can't do a loop that has a bit of a hit... it could be due to the softness and thickness of my sponge...
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2008 at 10:24pm
If I'm using the term "brush loop" correctly (which I may not be), a brush loop is when:
(1) your racket moves very close to the tangent of the motion of the ball (sorry for the abstract definition), and
(2) the angle of the racket matches the angle of the motion that you're swinging the racket.

For example, let's say the ball is coming towards you: initially it was coming diagonally upward as your opponent looped it, then it went down to the table, bounced back up, passed the peak of the bounce and started dropping, and at this instant that you intend to make contact with the ball, it is travelling at 45 degrees downward from the horizontal. A brush loop would be looping it at 46 degrees upward from the horizontal. The tangent at that point is 45 degrees upward or downward, same thing in this case, and so to loop at the sharpest angle is to get as close to 45 degrees as possible. At exactly 45 degrees you won't make contact with the ball, at 46 degrees up you will barely make contact.

And so at 46 degrees you have a very sharp loop, and I think this is a brush loop. In reality it will probably be 2-5 degrees from the trajectory of the ball, not just 1 degree.

And with short pips, you really can't do a loop at that sharp an angle and get any meaningful grip out of it, the ball just slides off. But if you change your angle to maybe 80 degrees up from the horizontal, and also apply more force forward, then you can get solid enough contact to loop with short pips. Not as spinny as looping with inverted, but still fairly spinny and fast.

So there are two factors in brush looping vs. short pip looping.

Brush Loop:
- close angle, very close to the trajectory of the ball, eg. 45 degree ball motion, 47 degree swing
- the racket moves exactly along the angle of the racket. So if you're hitting at 47 degrees, then your racket is also traveling at 47 degrees. If you're angling the racket straight up, then you swing straight up.

Pips Loop:
- To hit a ball traveling 45 degrees downward from the horizontal, you must angle your racket around 80 degrees upward from the horizontal, a large difference in angle of the racket and trajectory of the ball. This will give you more solid contact, the ball will sink in deeper and get the grip it needs
- Also, instead of swinging the racket at the same angle that you're angling the face of the racket, you have to change the motion to a more forward motion to get even more grip. So if you're angling the racket at 80 degrees upward from the horizontal, you should move the racket at about 45 degrees above the horizontal, whereas in a brush loop you would move at the same angle as the face of the racket.
- Combining these two factors gives you a sort of half-hit and half-loop, giving you more solid contact with the pips, and giving enough grip to produce a medium spinny ball as a loop. Whenever I brush loop with short pips (tried 802-40 and 802), the ball just slips off. You need more solid contact to get significant spin.

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
usagi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usagi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2008 at 10:49pm

Thanks, ppgear!!! That helps me to understand a lot more...

That's what I thought too with SP looping, that there should be more of hitting (because hitting is what short-pips are for), only it seems strange that it is not with my setup, because it bottoms out too quickly...

I guess brush looping on BH (which is kind of like what you describe) works for me because my BH stroke is not fast and Moristo SP is just grippy (you wonder how it can be a SP by the way it puts spin on serves - almost all opponents underestimate the amount of backspin I can put on my SP serves)...  Just wierd?!

Not sure if anyone else here tried Moristo SP?

Tomii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2008 at 2:42pm
i couldn't find a proper topic, and i dont want to open a new one so i'll post it here:

http://www.pipfacts.info/content/view/21/

Hilarious i think:D:D:D HAHA:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Rtenkmt6M

Self-made video please watch and comment
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2008 at 2:57pm
We really should ask Gladys Knight about the Pips!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2008 at 3:08pm
Komann Winning NP-8 in 2.0mm & 1.2mm, I have for sale. Only $15 each including shipping ...
usagi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usagi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2008 at 6:23am
Originally posted by melarimsa melarimsa wrote:

Most close to inverted is:
1. Komann Winning NP-8 short pips
2. Friendship 729 802-40

I have been trying to make good pushes (height and backspin wise), but find it quite a challenge on my grippy rubber (Moristo SP 1.9mm)... I am guessing it is still not as good as an inverted at reversing spin (i.e. make a backspin return as backspin) even though it is very good for serving...

But, does anyone find that it is very good for manipulating spin?  In my case, I find that MAYBE it is good for turning a backspin into sidespin and adding to it... which then makes it good for placement at hard to reach angles.  Dun know if anyone tried something like that and find that it is maybe easier than inverted?

Just wondering though if anyone else felt the same?
kits11326 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kits11326 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2008 at 7:09am
you can try Donic Baxter F1, superb speed and control.. 
Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll T5000

FH: Red 2.0mm   Joola Energy Xtra

BH: Black 1.8mm Donic Baxter F1A

buy at:
http://www.iruiru.com/e/
you will never go wrong with their equip
usagi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usagi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2008 at 5:56am
Originally posted by kits11326 kits11326 wrote:

you can try Donic Baxter F1, superb speed and control.. 

Thanks, I will add that to my list of rubbers to pick from when I get the next piece...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic