Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

playing against seemiller grip

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2008 at 4:48pm
Hi Fatt,
     You are just a real nice guy!Smile
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2008 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

Hi Fatt,
     You are just a real nice guy!Smile

only off the table Big%20smile

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2008 at 6:17pm
PK= Peace Keeper, a med pip. Alot like Dr Evil but more Evil despite the whimp name.Angry
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2008 at 6:27pm
A guy playing with the Seemiller grip in my club (2000/2100) has anti on one side and twiddles really fast. He can really mess with people rythm. He can serve, hit, block with both sides and even does fake funny loops gestures with the anti. He's such a pain but he makes me think a lot and when I beat him (once out of 5 matches I'd say) it means that I have been patient, did not rush to finish points.
As somebody pointed out above my best results is when I can enter a fast all round kind of rally so he plays only with his regular smooth spiny and so is much more predictable.
bougainvillea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bougainvillea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2008 at 9:05pm
Yes, I think this is a good idea. Dead or sidespin short serves in the middle leave him not many choices, and usually gives you a good chance smashing the hell out of him.  Go  right in the middle and you can also vary your serve with long deep spinny ones, so that he dares not to stand too close to the table. I tried this on some guys with very good bh and it worked.   
hafawaz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hafawaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2008 at 10:13pm
seemiller grip works well for a blocking and hitting game, the chops and pushes tend to be quite weak.  try the push and set up for a finishing shot.  it's a bit tricky to finish a return from an antispin. 
Senkoh - 85 with Sriver EL 2.1
Keyshot Light with Sriver FX 2.1
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2008 at 7:40am
an advice against players you have a hard time beating:
try not to let them set up their attacks and destroy their rhythm and tempo
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
cpen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2008 at 11:20am
i think a dead ball serve would be perfect. A very short serve is very hard to return and all he could do is push. Then you can attack off of the third ball push and put him on the defensive.

Why don't you post a video of your serve so we can help you out with it.
sandro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2008 at 12:38pm
What the hell is a seemiller grip?
sandro
manluski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manluski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2008 at 1:37pm
hi fatt
you are almost there. play with this guy more often till you get more improvement in your speed, timing and footwalk. do not think too much about what side or the paddle or rubber he plays with, just move and attach. you might have to adjust your loops. but just loop and loop and move. attach his service also if possible and counterloop and block as appropriate. he will avoid you i promise. 

yesterday, i played a similar guy at my club, he uses the grizzly by dr neubaur and i believe a donic or some fast rubber and twiddles. the first 2 games i won somehow out of luck and struggle as my loops were off. later on the 3 game i figured i had to adjust my paddle by looping his balls flat with my paddle on top of the ball. man he barely took 3 points and so was the 4th game. he had no chance or hope as i was looping everything. i don't think he wanted any more of me after that.

by the way he defeated all the young kids at the club as they could not adjust and figure out how to loop him.
manluski
johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2008 at 1:40pm
Here is a link to see the seemiller grip sandro:http://tabletennis.about.com/od/griptypes/p/seemillergrip.htm.
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2008 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by sandro sandro wrote:

What the hell is a seemiller grip?

There are different versions of seemiller grip.

The easiest to understand is that one: the thumb and pointing finger are BOTH touching the same rubber or are holding the blade on the sides and so the backhand and forehand can be done with the same rubber.

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2008 at 2:02pm
this guys seemiller is where he presses his thumb on the backside dead in the middle above the handle, and the rest of his hand is closed around the handle.. its kinda weird. Most seemillers i see have the "V-grip", but this guy doesnt.
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2008 at 2:19pm
Oohh.. i know that kind of grip.. there is a player with a similar grip over here. I dunno bout your player, but the one we have here really struggles against good lobber that can varies their lob with side/top.
So how good is your lob beeray1? Big%20smile
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2008 at 2:22pm
lol looks like im gonna be 'brushing up' on my lobs!! LOL
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2008 at 3:15pm
Lobs?   Lobs?  Somebody say Lobs??  Yum, Yum!!!Smile
hafawaz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hafawaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2008 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by cpen cpen wrote:

i think a dead ball serve would be perfect. A very short serve is very hard to return and all he could do is push. Then you can attack off of the third ball push and put him on the defensive.

Why don't you post a video of your serve so we can help you out with it.
totally agree... use the weak returns from chops to go on the offensive.  either the third ball on a service return or by pushing short and setting up your attack on a return push.  you need ot vary the rhythm play a faster game, maybe exploit any weakness in his twiddling.  have you tried attacking the elbow?
Senkoh - 85 with Sriver EL 2.1
Keyshot Light with Sriver FX 2.1
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2008 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

Lobs?   Lobs?  Somebody say Lobs??  Yum, Yum!!!Smile

LOL
Deep lob with heavy side spin. The ball will nastily bend after bounce. It works here, dunno if it works there.. Wink

655H3PClassicAcudaS1
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2008 at 9:54pm
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
manluski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manluski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2008 at 10:29pm
so you think a good seemiller grip player is blind and would not see the backspin on the deep lob or what, unless this is a particular weakness to the player involved. this is not general, you have to out play him period.

in fact, i have seen some seemiller grip players twiddle to even shake hand grip, if needed.
manluski
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2008 at 1:31am
I wont play him till wednesday, but so much advice!! i love it. hopefully by then i can start breaking in the HK. But probably not yet, have to wait till the next wednesday to unleash its fury onto the unfortunate human beings that are my TT club.

lol.. but thanks everyone. Lobbing is fun, but its not my cup of tea.. unless im just fooling around with my friend xiangle. But I also have a big problem with my mental game sometimes... A big problem for all my losses is the fact that i play crappy and rush myself whenever i play someone who intimidates me TT wise, or whenever i play a tourney. I just engulf myself.

If I play someone who i know well, or someone who is nice, i just let loose and i end up playing like 60% better. Its stupid i know, but does anyone else have that problem ever?
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2008 at 6:04am
BR, everyone has said some decent tips to help, but you will have to discover for yourself what allows you to setup your offense, and what keeps him from putting you off balance. Putting the ball short and to the middle gives him the maximum amount of angle, and putting it short to one side really opens up the wide angle on the return. You do these if the opponent won't react in time, which it sounds like he does and would be way over 1400. You will eventually discover what it takes to get a predictable ball back that you can attack if you are an all out attacker. If you are the type who wants to be the one in control, you will have to find what it takes to get the chance at a higher percentage chance to finish the point. Learning to serve good half long and disguised short serves will still help you a lot, although it takes a lot of asking/learning/practice, it helps your game out against anyone. 
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2008 at 8:10am
Originally posted by manluski manluski wrote:

so you think a good seemiller grip player is blind and would not see the backspin on the deep lob or what, unless this is a particular weakness to the player involved. this is not general, you have to out play him period.

in fact, i have seen some seemiller grip players twiddle to even shake hand grip, if needed.

You are ignorant aren't you, and not to mention rude. In which part of my post did i mentioned about blind at all?
Do you even read my post? I said there is one player with the same grip here and he struggles against heavy side-spin lob that kicks wildly to the side. This is about this particular player, beeray1 can try this or not that is entirely up to him and not you. Did i said every Seemiller players will struggle against lob? No.  if you don't comprehend my first post about the lobbing thing, just don't reply to it.
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2008 at 2:17pm
well thanks again everyone.. great advice. I'll just explore some more, and do what i can using some of these tips.

I'll let you know in detail what happens next time i play him. Thanks a lot.

B-ray.
manluski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manluski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2008 at 3:20pm
you need a crash course in english litrature. i don't think they offer any in mongolia. you are an asshole. period.
manluski
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2008 at 3:32pm
come on, that kind of talk is unnecessary. No need to argue with eachother, lets all just be cool about things here Smile. Think about it, this mini-qualm is over a misunderstanding----- a stupid reason to make the mods want to involve themselves. am i right? You both offer great advice, and this should just stop before it becomes yet another fight.

thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic