Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to move from 1500 USATT rating to 1800?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
dimitris View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimitris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2008 at 7:19am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Originally posted by dimitris dimitris wrote:

Originally posted by T h e N A M T h e N A M wrote:

Originally posted by fatcomet fatcomet wrote:

better yet, beat one 1800 player and dont play anyone else under 1800
'

you'll be 1550 if you beat one player who is higher than 1800...

depends how much higher... I believe you can get more than 150 points if the player is above 2000 and you are 1500. So beating a 2500 or so player most probably would bring you above 1800...

you can't get more than 75 points from a rating change to another. When that happens you get "adjusted".

The max points you can make in one match is 50 points. look at more details on http://www.usatt.org/ratings/ratingsprocess.html

say in a tourney you do:

matches won + 50 +30 +25 + 10 + 10 +10 = 135
matches lost  -8 -8 -10 -25  = -51

total = 84 (>75) so you get adjusted (see formula).

But now if you get

matches won +30 +25 + 10 + 10 +10 = 85
matches lost  -10 -3 = -13

total = 72 (<75) you do not get adjusted and process every result against your actual rating.

Then how do you explain this:

http://www.ratingscentral.com/EventDetail.php?EventID=2972#P21075

EDIT: Actually if you read the link you sent me more carefully, you will see why this is possible... In any case, my statement still holds.
Darker Tanpan, fh 729 higher 2.0mm, bh 729 geospin 2.0mm

My for sale thread
Sponsored Links

jakata31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jakata31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2008 at 11:26am
Excuse me if someone else has posted similiar material.

You first have to quit worrying about winning games in practice and just work on technique. Expect to lose at first as you practice attacks and serves.

You must quit playing other 1500-1600 rated players on a regular basis, you need to practice against higher level players.

and you must practice practice practice.
james
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2008 at 2:01pm

Originally posted by T h e N A M T h e N A M wrote:

Originally posted by fatcomet fatcomet wrote:

better yet, beat one 1800 player and dont play anyone else under 1800
'

you'll be 1550 if you beat one player who is higher than 1800...

depends how much higher... I believe you can get more than 150 points if the player is above 2000 and you are 1500. So beating a 2500 or so player most probably would bring you above 1800...

you can't get more than 75 points from a rating change to another. When that happens you get "adjusted".

The max points you can make in one match is 50 points. look at more details on http://www.usatt.org/ratings/ratingsprocess.html

say in a tourney you do:

matches won + 50 +30 +25 + 10 + 10 +10 = 135
matches lost  -8 -8 -10 -25  = -51

total = 84 (>75) so you get adjusted (see formula).

But now if you get

matches won +30 +25 + 10 + 10 +10 = 85
matches lost  -10 -3 = -13

total = 72 (<75) you do not get adjusted and process every result against your actual rating.

EDIT: Actually if you read the link you sent me more carefully, you will see why this is possible... In any case, my statement still holds.

David Marcus' software in rating central uses the rating deviation concept describled in the Glicko system. Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glicko_rating_system
Adjustment is kind of "built-in" Smile: if a player did not play for a long time then (s)he will win or lose more points against a given opponent. So rating variation in one match can be huge.

In usatt there is no way a player can win more than 75 points in one tournament. If that happens his/her rating is adjusted so (s)he will win at most 74 points. Do you have an example where that's not true?

dimitris View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimitris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2008 at 10:20am

David Marcus' software in rating central uses the rating deviation concept describled in the Glicko system. Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glicko_rating_system
Adjustment is kind of "built-in" Smile: if a player did not play for a long time then (s)he will win or lose more points against a given opponent. So rating variation in one match can be huge.

In usatt there is no way a player can win more than 75 points in one tournament. If that happens his/her rating is adjusted so (s)he will win at most 74 points. Do you have an example where that's not true?

I did not know that nctta tournaments are not usatt sanctioned. In that case my bad.

According though to the usatt rating process, this adjustment happens also there. Is it different than the one in the glicko system you are referencing and ratingscentral uses?

My for sale thread
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2008 at 10:38am
Honestly, pushing a few more balls back into play will get you to 2000 easily. At the club level unforced errors outnumber winners by the dozens. Of course, you'll have to know what you're doing to execute it, but most players after a few years of consistant drilling will get there.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2008 at 10:43am
Originally posted by jakata31 jakata31 wrote:

Excuse me if someone else has posted similiar material.

You first have to quit worrying about winning games in practice and just work on technique. Expect to lose at first as you practice attacks and serves.

I totally agree with you on this.  I'm more into techniques and getting better myself so I don't mind applying new things in my game and lose.  I just need to be confident enough to know what I do will help me in the long run and I guess it's when the coach is important here.  But since where I live do not have a coach so I'll try to apply what makes sense to me and work on it.

You must quit playing other 1500-1600 rated players on a regular basis, you need to practice against higher level players.

I have to disagree with you on the first part of this.  I know that practice against higher level players are good and it seems like everyone wants that but how about the other 1500-1600 players in my club?  They do want to do the same thing, and I think it's the same with lower level players.  If I avoid playing with them, I don't think it helps our sports.  Besides, I cannot practice my new game on higher ranking players because my old game can't beat them.  I think the best is trying my new techniques on players at the same level or lower (and yes, no worry about losing).  Once my technique is solid then I can just move up and face the higher level.  It's just like Bruce Lee in the "Game of Death" Smile

and you must practice practice practice.

Totally agree with you on this Thumbs%20Up

FireHorse

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2008 at 11:44am
Maybe when you're playing the other players of your level, work on drilling more than playing, or at least some.

Tell you the truth...for a lot of us (esp me) we could pick up 200 points just by getting up every morning and running a mile.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2008 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by sprite sprite wrote:

Later I was taught be a national level player about using open angles against under spin and this helped me to play a more relaxed and confident style. Reducing mental and physical tension really helps with being prepared for the next shot in my experience.

.... This feeling causes me to have muscle tension, which is not good for tt.

In order to have a control loop, it seems like I have more muscle tension than the power loop, is it right?  Or I just need to be relaxed on both?  Which strokes that need more muscle tension, and which strokes need to be relaxed?

Thanks!

FireHorse
sprite View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2008 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by FireHorse FireHorse wrote:

]In order to have a control loop,�it seems like�I have more muscle tension than the power loop, is it right?� Or I just need to be relaxed on both?� Which strokes that need more muscle tension, and which strokes need to be relaxed?

Thanks!

FireHorse

For tt muscles should always be as relaxed as possible, if you actually have more muscle tension when doing a shot with less power than when doing it with more power I would think it is because you are doing it in a way you are not familiar/comfortable with.

If you are just asking if that is the way it should be the answer is no, there should be no more muscle tension either way.

Having relaxed muscles is a key factor in improving BOTH control and power. It is much easier to accelerate loose/soft muscles than it is to accelerate stiff/tense muscles. Further, if your muscles are loose/soft, by extension your racket should also "be soft"; a win win here.

Example: for the fh loop the great majority of power (energy) should be provided by the legs and hips, and the arm and hand is merely the line with which the energy is to be transmitted to the ball. The more flexible the line is the easier it is for the power to be transmitted, much like a whip, a little action at the base of the whip results in a lot of energy at the tip. If the whip was stiff, much less energy would be transmitted to the tip.

And Cole (above) makes a good point which is applicable to many of us!
YEO

Boost TP
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2008 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by sprite sprite wrote:

For tt muscles should always be as relaxed as possible, if you actually have more muscle tension when doing a shot with less power than when doing it with more power I would think it is because you are doing it in a way you are not familiar/comfortable with.

If you are just asking if that is the way it should be the answer is no, there should be no more muscle tension either way.

Having relaxed muscles is a key factor in improving BOTH control and power. It is much easier to accelerate loose/soft muscles than it is to accelerate stiff/tense muscles. Further, if your muscles are loose/soft, by extension your racket should also "be soft"; a win win here.

Example: for the fh loop the great majority of power (energy) should be provided by the legs and hips, and the arm and hand is merely the line with which the energy is to be transmitted to the ball. The more flexible the line is the easier it is for the power to be transmitted, much like a whip, a little action at the base of the whip results in a lot of energy at the tip. If the whip was stiff, much less energy would be transmitted to the tip.

And Cole (above) makes a good point which is applicable to many of us!

Yeah, I believe that the arm needs to be relaxed but I tend to tense my muscle when having a control loop.  I will try to keep in mind and relax on both during game and practice.

I also agree with Cole on running a mile every morning.  But I think as we age, flexible is more important so I will try to work on flexing myself either through yoga or just stretching.

Thanks for all of the advices!Star

Later,

FireHorse
TTHOUSTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTHOUSTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2008 at 5:30pm
I totally agree with FATT about READING and SERVING the ball. Most of 1500 player level lost the game, because they can't return the serve, and 1800 level vs. 1500 level is always win by serve. So if you want increase your level from 1500 to 1800. you need improve reading and serving the ball first.
tabl10s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabl10s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2008 at 10:07pm
1)Take a week-long clinic if no coaching is available.

2)Buy a Robot.
a)Practice FH counter on Monday against top/chop and finish with serves.
b)     "       FH topspin on Tuesday    "      "        "       "       ''        "       "
c)     "       BH  counter on  Wednesday......
d)    "        BH  topspin on  Thursday......
e)    "        FH/BH push concentrating a low trajectory, placement and spin. Finish with serves.
3)Drill, DRILL, D-R-I-L-L! 
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2008 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by TTHOUSTON TTHOUSTON wrote:

I totally agree with FATT about READING and SERVING the ball. Most of 1500 player level lost the game, because they can't return the serve, and 1800�level vs. 1500 level is always win by serve. So if you want increase your level from 1500 to 1800. you need improve reading and serving the ball first.

I'm not sure if this is the main difference between 1500 and 1800, but it's certainly one of my problems. I seem to win on my serves, but against high level players it's more likely I misread or NOT read the opponents serve and lose the point. I do very well against 1500 level players, usually get edged out by 1700 level players, and I'm happy when I force an 1800 level player into his "A-Game" to beat me up. I'm right there with you . . .

COACHING, I'm sure, will help much more than buying more rubbers and blades that are too fast and too expensive. Keep in mind, this advice is coming from the EJ Madman himself!!!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2008 at 10:32pm
I don't know about all 1500 players, and I'm not sure if I am even to that level, but I am pretty sure that I could gain about 300 points if I served better and returned serve better.
F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
peds View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2008 at 6:20am
I posted my video to let other members rate me. They said I'm 1400 player. So if I want to become an 1800 player, here's what I'm going to do:

1. Improve my footwork
2. Improve my serves and returns
3. Improve my backhand loop
4. Improve shot consistency
5. Improve tactics

How am I suppose to do that?

1. Practice
2. Get a coach (optional)
3. Play against better players
4. Build self-confidence

Sometimes I play really good that I beat 1800 player. If I can't beat them.. I just give them a good fight.
dimitris View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimitris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2008 at 10:18am
Originally posted by peds peds wrote:

I posted my video to let other members rate me. They said I'm 1400 player.....

Personally peds I believe you are above 1400 level, which is my level. How much above I do not know, but I definitely believe you can give most of 1800 level players a good game and win many of them. On occasion I have also won 1800 players, on my good day and their bad day, you can do better than that. But of course nothing wrong with improving and advancing.

My for sale thread
tabl10s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabl10s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2008 at 10:26am
peds

I got to 1800+ without a backhand loop as I could put the fear of God into opponents(up to 1900-I was 1400 at the time)with a BH smash off serves and multple smashes on chopped balls(FH/BH).
Now that I'm older and heavier, I need the BH loop to keep me in the game as I was all about power and imtimidation when younger.
 I buildt my self-confidence by drilling with a robot and then imagining that my opponents were the enemy and they had to be eliminated.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2008 at 10:40am
Originally posted by tabl10s tabl10s wrote:

peds
Now that I'm older and heavier,

....imagining that my opponents were the enemy and they had to be eliminated.

mmmh older with the heart of a teenager: that a lethal combo in TT! 

good for you.

dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2008 at 10:50am
Originally posted by peds peds wrote:

1. Improve my footwork
2. Improve my serves and returns
3. Improve my backhand loop
4. Improve shot consistency
5. Improve tactics

How am I suppose to do that?
3. Play against better players

1. For Footwork, lower your stance. Doing drills like falkenberg will help.
2. Practice to serve more, when your serves is getting better you will have a general idea of what people put on their serves, because you can do the same serves too.. Wink
3. Backhand loop is really tricky, you may want to practice it but not put too much effort to integrate it into your game, cause it can screw your game up, believe me, i did that twice!!
4. Consistency = Drills+drills+drills
5. Good one, sometimes you can win again better players when you play smarter than them..

Playing against better players are good to keep track of your progress, but if they are really good, they can shut you out so you cannot play your game at all. When you can't play your game, it's difficult to improve yourself.
Playing consistently and beating those about your level will help. Once you know you can beat them you can try new things when you play them and that will give your game more dimension. When you can consistently beat and improve while playing against those on your level. You will get better against those better than you.. Wink

655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic